Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:28 PM   #1
whosawmike
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
whosawmike is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Differences Between S13 240 and Silvia (not beating a dead horse)

Hey Zilvia!

I've lurked around here for a while; so before I get into it, I want to thank you for everything you all have already taught me.

A little background... I am in the market for an S13 coupe with the intent of doing a JZ swap. In my shopping, I have been running across Silvia's in my price range. In many cases, they are in better condition than the 240s. I am considering picking one up, but want to make sure I understand what I would be getting into.

Now for the question I know you have heard many times before (I've searched). What are the differences between the S13 240 coupe and the Silvia?

I know the big ones; Engine, front body panels and lights, and RHD. It is my understanding that the differences basically stop there. If they do stop there, I've read and understand. Im not asking you to go over all of that again.

I am asking this question from a practicality standpoint. I am most interested in repair and maintenance type items. The last thing I want to do is buy a car that I have to scour for or import parts every time something breaks. For the most part, can I just order 240 parts?

Also, as mentioned at the start of this post, I am interested in a 1 or 2J swap. Would this be considered sacrilege in a Silvia in the US?

Thanks again!
whosawmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2016, 02:50 AM   #2
rawgarage
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (75)
rawgarage is making a name for him/her selfrawgarage is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 75 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by whosawmike View Post
Hey Zilvia!

I've lurked around here for a while
lurk harder....
rawgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:23 PM   #3
kruked
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (37)
kruked is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Quote:
Engine, front body panels and lights, and RHD. It is my understanding that the differences basically stop there.
It pretty much stops there.
Suspension is the same.
Wiring would be different to a degree.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:41 PM   #4
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
That horse has already been cremated man, you're beating it's ashes at this point.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:10 AM   #5
NoPistons!
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
NoPistons! is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Same shit. Honestly, i'd hate having my steering wheel on the other side of the car. These cars are so modified and used globally that all the information you will need for the jdm wiring is available online somewhere. If not here, somewhere and if it's not here i'll be shocked. You just have to search your ass off. THe key is to buy shit and not worry about it. Get a silvia in good shape. Fuck a whored out 240sx. Put your 1j in, run the exhaust, intercooler, clutch line, driveshaft, all that stuff. THEN worry about wiring. Save it for last. Also there are off the shelf harnesses available to simply add swap, plug and play. They aren't cheap harnesses but you'll get driving faster and it'll be clean as tits. Chase bays, Panic wire, wiring specialties...just to name a few. Good luck and be awesome at this shit or dont do it at all.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:37 AM   #6
bmaddock
Zilvia Junkie

bmaddock is an unknown quantity at this point
No cares about what side of the car you sit on. If you're planning to do a JZ swap stick to the 240SX. Not only are they going to be cheaper from a rolling chassis standpoint but the brake master cylinder is on the correct side (away from the turbo). Less headaches and easier install.

Do more research.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:55 AM   #7
NoPistons!
Zilvia Junkie

NoPistons! is an unknown quantity at this point
Turbo heat isn't relevant with innovations such as heat sheilds, manifolds that move the turbo further forward, many, many custom fab shops willing to do that kind of work too....

The hardest part of his swap would be downpipe clearance if he is half blind and retarded. RB guys do it in 240's all the time.

Here's how to build a sweet car:

1. Dont be a pussy

2. Dont be a pussy.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:15 PM   #8
whosawmike
Leaky Injector

Differences Between S13 240 and Silvia (not beating a dead horse)

Thanks guys.

I had thought about the turbo location, but ruled it out after remembering the RB swaps.

Wiring is not my strong suit, and I want this to be done right. For that reason, I had already anticipated a plug and play ecu.

The swap is a little ways down the road, but I am ready to buy the car. For that reason, I would rather not buy a roller.

The reason I'm considering the Silvia over the 240 coupe is that in my price range, the silvias I am finding are often in better condition. I also like that you dont see them everyday. I'm definitely not ruling out 240s though.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:29 PM   #9
RB25GUY
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
RB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPistons! View Post
Turbo heat isn't relevant with innovations such as heat sheilds, manifolds that move the turbo further forward, many, many custom fab shops willing to do that kind of work too....

The hardest part of his swap would be downpipe clearance if he is half blind and retarded. RB guys do it in 240's all the time.

Here's how to build a sweet car:

1. Don't be a pussy

2. Don't be a pussy

3. Don't put a @yourinstagram sticker on your window

4. Don't let anyone tell you whats cool its not theirs

5. Don't cheap out on important things/parts

there fixed it
RB25GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:31 PM   #10
whosawmike
Leaky Injector

5 might be hard.... Does eBay take returns on cut springs?
Old 05-10-2016, 03:42 AM   #11
RB25GUY
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
RB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
5 might be hard.... Does eBay take returns on cut springs?
You are already speaking the primary language here on Zilvia; impressed.
RB25GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:08 PM   #12
e30gangsta
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
e30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Not to bump a 3 year old thread, but the jdm s13 uses bigger brake pads in the front. The calipers are slightly bigger than us 240sx's.
e30gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote