Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-09-2016, 04:10 PM   #31
quickdiversion
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
quickdiversion is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
When and where did I say I didn't like the vq? Please show me my daily is a 1998 maxima, vq30 200k miles on it and a 5 speed.

I never said it was a bad engine.
quickdiversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2016, 04:32 PM   #32
timandytimandy
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
timandytimandy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The problem I'm running into is the 03 g35 sedans use a different ecu than 04 and up sedans, g coupe and 350z. I'm interested in a plug and play harness that would allow me to use a z/g ecu on a 03 sedan and tune with Osiris.
timandytimandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:29 PM   #33
mewantkouki
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (36)
mewantkouki will become famous soon enoughmewantkouki will become famous soon enoughmewantkouki will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
You guys have SR's taken care of. Still no love for the KA...
mewantkouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:23 PM   #34
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewantkouki View Post
You guys have SR's taken care of. Still no love for the KA...
Pretty much any service we offer for the SR we have for the KA.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:25 PM   #35
kashira kureijii
Zilvia FREAK!

kashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-known
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdiversion View Post
What I know from reading and talking to v8 swap guys, they are hungry for vk items because they want to keep the brand. They want to stay nissan.
^+1

This might end up being the most viable option for you guys, There is a pretty large amount of VK's out there, many of them are very cheap and come in a bunch of nissan vehicles(as we all know).

It would be cool to have a common nissan v8 to swap into shit, I'm not going to be doing anything like that, but it seems like a good idea considering how many VK's there are out there. VH stuff is probably gonna get to rare and outdated soon, so this would be swag.

Stop the LS plague mang
kashira kureijii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:28 PM   #36
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashira kureijii View Post
^+1

This might end up being the most viable option for you guys, There is a pretty large amount of VK's out there, many of them are very cheap and come in a bunch of nissan vehicles(as we all know).

It would be cool to have a common nissan v8 to swap into shit, I'm not going to be doing anything like that, but it seems like a good idea considering how many VK's there are out there. VH stuff is probably gonna get to rare and outdated soon, so this would be swag.

Stop the LS plague mang
It's been discussed, the issue is the size of the VK and people's backlash to instructions that include the words "cut" or "modify" as seen with the SRVQ kit. The reality is that the hood will never clear the intake and the only way to remedy that would be a >$1000 custom intake manifold or cutting the hood, if you wanted to stay with the factory hood of course.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:59 PM   #37
kashira kureijii
Zilvia FREAK!

kashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-known
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzbrady View Post
It's been discussed, the issue is the size of the VK and people's backlash to instructions that include the words "cut" or "modify" as seen with the SRVQ kit. The reality is that the hood will never clear the intake and the only way to remedy that would be a >$1000 custom intake manifold or cutting the hood, if you wanted to stay with the factory hood of course.
hmmmm strange, the intake looks just like them LS intakes, you'd think it would fit.

Special footlong mazworx hood spacers maybe? lolz
Old 05-09-2016, 10:03 PM   #38
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashira kureijii View Post
hmmmm strange, the intake looks just like them LS intakes, you'd think it would fit.

Special footlong mazworx hood spacers maybe? lolz
There's a VK S13 build thread on here called "Brickhouse VK56 S13 Build" I believe, and there you can see that it sits a little taller than the wiper cowl even on their custom mounts. I'm sure ou could space the hood to clear the back but that's not going to help with the intake pipe itself. The VK and LS have different angles at which the "V" opens. The VK angle is narrower therefore it's inhearently taller. The VQ has the same issue if you compare it to something like a ford 3.8 out of a mustang
Old 05-25-2016, 08:45 AM   #39
mewantkouki
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (36)
mewantkouki will become famous soon enoughmewantkouki will become famous soon enoughmewantkouki will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Quote:
I'm talking about a race plenum, fuel rail, better oil pan, mechanically locked timing chain tensioners, etc. Not the xcessive cast aluminum junk we're forced to use because GOOD companies don't make any parts for the engine.
mewantkouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:05 AM   #40
quickdiversion
Zilvia Junkie

quickdiversion is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
There's a VK S13 build thread on here called "Brickhouse VK56 S13 Build" I believe, and there you can see that it sits a little taller than the wiper cowl even on their custom mounts. I'm sure ou could space the hood to clear the back but that's not going to help with the intake pipe itself. The VK and LS have different angles at which the "V" opens. The VK angle is narrower therefore it's inhearently taller. The VQ has the same issue if you compare it to something like a ford 3.8 out of a mustang

You are half right. The VK and vq are a different "v" angle. The VQ is the same as the LS. There are a 60" angle so the engine is more narrow. The VK as well as the VH are a 90* angle. This is what makes them so wide. Unfortunately this has nothing to do with why they intake sits so high. If you look and where the water outlets are coming out of the heads and through the top of the V it means you have to raise the height of the throttle body if you wish to keep it centered. Also let's not forget this was designed for a truck and low end torque so the runners are very long which all adds to the height. And in a truck it fits just fine

So it's all about making it fit for your application.
quickdiversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 04:26 PM   #41
Alisaihin

Trader Rating: (0)
Alisaihin is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdiversion View Post
You are half right. The VK and vq are a different "v" angle. The VQ is the same as the LS. There are a 60" angle so the engine is more narrow. The VK as well as the VH are a 90* angle. This is what makes them so wide. Unfortunately this has nothing to do with why they intake sits so high. If you look and where the water outlets are coming out of the heads and through the top of the V it means you have to raise the height of the throttle body if you wish to keep it centered. Also let's not forget this was designed for a truck and low end torque so the runners are very long which all adds to the height. And in a truck it fits just fine

So it's all about making it fit for your application.
Also, the LS engines are shorter height-wise thanks to the one thing that people tend to rip on them for:
Being Pushrod.

Quote:
...I sometimes wish more KA24E parts existed, but alas, that's the thing with an obscure engine used for two years and is single slammin'...nobody wants it.
Alisaihin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 06:32 PM   #42
kashira kureijii
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisaihin View Post
...I sometimes wish more KA24E parts existed, but alas, that's the thing with an obscure engine used for two years and is single slammin'...nobody wants it.
What good would that do, since every KA24E in existence has a blown headgasket?