Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:34 PM   #1
awilliwonka91

Trader Rating: (0)
awilliwonka91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
sr20det blacktop into s13 starting problems

Ok, I've googled and have done alot of research and still cannot find anything close to my problem. I recently put in an s14 sr20det into my 91 s13. Everything went perfect until wiring, of course. I know everything works because i just pulled this motor out a hardbody, before driving it around for about a week. Ran perfect! now to my problem.

The person who did this swap completely raped the sr harness, so I used a spare KA harness and repaired it using the complete write up/ pinouts from the nicoclub forum and ecu pinout. I'm really not a mastermind at wiring, but i understand it. The motor cranks over but i am not getting fuel. The fuel pump would not prime so I hotwired it just to make sure it is good, however when i did that the motor would still just crank. When i turn the key to the on position all of the relays click, and the light on the ecu does not come on. I have checked all of my grounds. Also, the lights (check engine, seatbelt, ect.) stay on when the ignition is in the off position. So i know that a wire is crossed on that, and will fix it. I ran a check light on the wires spliced into the brown and gray plug by the battery tray, and everything was getting juice besides the fuel pump (black/pink to black/yellow), so i know that i need to trace it into the relay. My question is if the fuel pump is on when hotwired why wouldn't it start and just crank? I'm getting spark, injectors are good ect.
Also, why wouldn't I be getting power to the ecu? I know it couldn't be fried, or bad because i literally just pulled it and it ran perfect. Just looking for some suggestions. I'm baffled at this point.
awilliwonka91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2012, 06:35 PM   #2
awilliwonka91

Anyone at all?
Old 11-11-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
91ka24
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (11)
91ka24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Check your orange wire on the brown plug under the glove box. It's your ign wire for your injectors to batch fire when cranking. If its not getting power the car will not start unless u spray it with starting fluid.
91ka24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
awilliwonka91

Okay I'll give that a shot. Thank you!
I also noticed that the ecu relay (red wire) connected into the gray plug by the battery tray has power when the ignition is off, but none when the ignition is turned on. I'm not sure if that is correct? I'm a noob when it comes to this.
Also my fuel pump primes when hot wired, and does not stop humming. Any cause to this?
Maybe because the lines were empty?
Old 11-12-2012, 10:33 AM   #5
91ka24
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (11)
91ka24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Def have a wiring problem.your fuel pump relay is controlled by the ecu, sounds like who ever wired the harness just ran the fuel pump relay wire to a switched 12v.
91ka24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:40 PM   #6
awilliwonka91

okay, well i checked, and double checked alll of the wiring. I even completely deloomed the whole harness to make sure everything was good, and it looked good to my knowledge. I triple checked the wiring for the fuel pump, ecu relay (red), 12v (brown, red/blue), IAC, and ignition. Same problems still exist. no power to ecu, i believe. The ecu relay has power when the ignition is off, not sure if that is correct. is the red wire like a memory wire? Is there supposed to be a ground to the chassis from the relay on the main harness? I am guessing that's why the fuel pump won't prime. I put new relays in the eccs and relays on the harness just to make sure, and still nothing. I used a check light on the connections by the eccs (brown, grey) and the 12v has dim connection. I wish i was a wiring guymand not such a noob with it, but gotta start some time i suppose lol
It's driving me nuts.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:02 PM   #7
awilliwonka91

Never mind, I just said screw and am ordering a conversion harness from wiring specialties. Thanks for the help though, much appreciated.