Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-13-2008, 05:39 PM   #1
alkemyst
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
alkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to alkemyst
Why's the FSM say to remove the injector rail when doing an injector?

I was planning on replacing my four injectors (KA24DE), the FSM says to remove the rail rather than just pop out the individual injectors...

Anyone know why? Every writeup I see just says to undo the 2 screw hold downs and pop them out.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:40 PM   #2
stinky_180
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
stinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to stinky_180
i took out the injectors off my first 240sx ka24de without removing the entire rail. you might want to take out the rail if your doing all four, but it is not necessary. its probably standard procedure for nissan mechanics.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:46 PM   #3
2Slow40
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
2Slow40 has a reputation beyond repute2Slow40 has a reputation beyond repute2Slow40 has a reputation beyond repute2Slow40 has a reputation beyond repute2Slow40 has a reputation beyond repute2Slow40 has a reputation beyond repute2Slow40 has a reputation beyond repute2Slow40 has a reputation beyond repute2Slow40 has a reputation beyond repute2Slow40 has a reputation beyond repute2Slow40 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I think it's way easier to take the rail out. It only takes like 1 extra minute to get it off so...
2Slow40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 05:59 PM   #4
punxva
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
punxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Send a message via AIM to punxva
also so you dont strip the screws on the retainers, use a impact driver, it makes it 100x's easier
not sure if you realize this

but when you knockup that skanky drunk sea donkey, you're gonna have to listen to her shit for the rest of your life

age 33 and you dont know your ass from your elbow

punxva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 06:05 PM   #5
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
So you can push them through the rail instead of pulling them out. My SR injectors got marred up pulling them through the rail since the plastic turned brittle over time.
Def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 06:16 PM   #6
stinky_180
Nissanaholic!

stinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud of
impact driver is the best when removing the screws. when i took my injectors out, i pulled them out, didn't push them through (unless you take out the rail and push them out the way you would pull them out)
Old 05-13-2008, 06:20 PM   #7
alkemyst
Zilvia Addict

alkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nice
i have been trying to find an impact screwdriver/nut driver locally actually.

Anyone know a shop that stocks them?
Old 05-13-2008, 06:34 PM   #8
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
I got one from Sears a long time ago in the store.
Def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 06:53 PM   #9
punxva
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
punxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Send a message via AIM to punxva
yeah i got mine from the snap-on guy at work, but sears also has them in stock
not sure if you realize this

but when you knockup that skanky drunk sea donkey, you're gonna have to listen to her shit for the rest of your life

age 33 and you dont know your ass from your elbow

punxva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:00 PM   #10
alkemyst
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by punxva View Post
yeah i got mine from the snap-on guy at work, but sears also has them in stock
Mine here doesn't there are 5 in the area.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:28 PM   #11
stinky_180
Nissanaholic!

i got mine from kragen
Old 05-13-2008, 07:38 PM   #12
ChicagoS14
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
ChicagoS14 is making a name for him/her selfChicagoS14 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ChicagoS14
Yeah its easier to pull the rail as doing it with the rail on can cause the clips to get broken and you can really mess up some injectors. If you need a set of working injectors I have some for sale. Dont forget to lubricate o-rings and get a new set because chances are the old ones are worn out.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:42 PM   #13
nastjuid
Leaky Injector

nastjuid has a spectacular aura aboutnastjuid has a spectacular aura aboutnastjuid has a spectacular aura aboutnastjuid has a spectacular aura aboutnastjuid has a spectacular aura aboutnastjuid has a spectacular aura about
I just did my injectors. Pulling out the rail, I was able to avoid damage to the injectors. Philips head screwdriver wrapped in a terry towel to push on the spray side of the injector to get it to come out of the bowl along with another screwdriver and towel to pull up on the injector from the top. Eased right out. Sure, you don't have to pull the rail out, and for most people that's preferable, but I was also replacing the injector-to-manifold donut. Removing the rail would also give you the opportunity to check those, or break them in the process of removing the rail. :/

As for the screws, I used a cheap chicago battery powered drill with a philips bit. It had torq settings, so I set it to the lowest, put all my body weight (210lbs) on each screw and sloowly pulled the trigger. came right out

I actually picked up an impact screwdriver to get them out, but when I opened the package it said 'Made in China' right across the part you hit with the hammer. Common sense told me I probably shouldn't hit it with a hammer, but what do you expect for 5 bucks?

Unfortunately one of the remanufactured ones was already stuck open, so now I'm waiting for the replacement :/
nastjuid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:03 PM   #14
alkemyst
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastjuid View Post
I just did my injectors. Pulling out the rail, I was able to avoid damage to the injectors. Philips head screwdriver wrapped in a terry towel to push on the spray side of the injector to get it to come out of the bowl along with another screwdriver and towel to pull up on the injector from the top. Eased right out. Sure, you don't have to pull the rail out, and for most people that's preferable, but I was also replacing the injector-to-manifold donut. Removing the rail would also give you the opportunity to check those, or break them in the process of removing the rail. :/
Well I am not terribly worried about screwing up the old injectors since I have new ones...I definitely don't want to risk needing a part I don't have though.

My injectors have two new O-rings on each with lube.

I don't see those 'donuts' in my FSM....are they on all KA24DEs?
Old 05-26-2008, 03:18 PM   #15
alkemyst
Zilvia Addict

Did the job...used a long 1/2" screwdriver to pry them out.

easy. Did mar one of the bases with the metal edge...only cosmetic and you can't see it with the new injector in place.

If I wanted to remove the rail it would have taken a lot longer and may have caused other issues.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:57 AM   #16
surreybc
Zilvia Junkie

surreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond repute
http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/253879

look up fuel injector. big screw driver works.

removing the fuel rail would be insane.
surreybc is offline   Reply With Quote