Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Polls

Polls Post All Polls in Here.

View Poll Results: LS1 or KA-T
LS1 w/T56 57 64.77%
KA-T 31 35.23%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 02:59 PM   #1
sac
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
sac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
LS1 or KA-T

PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE POST BEFORE VOTING!
Ok. So i have most things setup the way i want now..
I JUST (today) got a free LS1/T56 setup that i am going to keep.
But my question is..
should i sell off the shit i have and put the LS1 in my s14
or should i continue to buy stuff to finish the KA24DE i am building?

Stuff i currently have

Q45 Trottle body
Nismo motor/trans mount
KOYO radiator-for KA24DE in S14
OEM Nissan oil pump for KA24DE
ARP Main studs for KA24DE
ARP 11mm Head studs for KA24DE
Cometic Head gasket-for KA24DE
Felpro Gasket kit-for KA24DE
Xcessive Intake manifold- for KA24DE-
CP pistons-for KA24DE
Turbo240 "sportsman series" connecting rods-for KA24DE
Turbo240 top feed fuel rail. -can be used for KA or SR
Flex-a-lite #345 Dual 10" fans

Stuff i would need to get KA24DE where i want

Garrett GT3076R w/tial v-band ex housing------------$1325
Turbo Manifold-Either neukin or peakboost-------------$750
Blow off Valve-probably Greddy RS-------------------$200
FMIC-probably Godspeed 24x12x4--------------------$400
Driveline-aluminum driveshaft shop-------------------$425
Standalone ECU-unsure yet-------------------approx $1000
Tune-----------------------------------------------$1200
Injectors-740cc-------------------------------------$280
clutch/flywheel combo-------------------------------$1000

Stuff to get LS1 in and running in s14

Hinson kit everything minus motor/trans/labor-----------$3500

I Feel Supremely confident in doing either.. Just wondering whether i should go LS1 Now that i have the motor.. And i probably will reach 450whp either way i go, just trying to decide now...
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2008, 03:24 PM   #2
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

Trader Rating: (1)
exitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I Voted LS...
Old 09-17-2008, 03:26 PM   #3
SleepR 240sx
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
SleepR 240sx has a reputation beyond reputeSleepR 240sx has a reputation beyond reputeSleepR 240sx has a reputation beyond reputeSleepR 240sx has a reputation beyond reputeSleepR 240sx has a reputation beyond reputeSleepR 240sx has a reputation beyond reputeSleepR 240sx has a reputation beyond reputeSleepR 240sx has a reputation beyond reputeSleepR 240sx has a reputation beyond reputeSleepR 240sx has a reputation beyond reputeSleepR 240sx has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SleepR 240sx Send a message via MSN to SleepR 240sx
Well if you sell the LS1 you would have a good bit of money for your ka-t setup, likewise you have a free ls1 sitting in your hands. If it were me I would go ls1, just because it's rarer and potentially easier to make power on. Of course the ka-t would probably be easier but it's really all up to you.

Check out the coolest new thing: toddrickkkkk.blogspot.com
Old 09-17-2008, 03:33 PM   #4
idahotuner
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (17)
idahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to idahotuner Send a message via MSN to idahotuner
I vote KAT and sell the LS to get the rest of the money for the kat
Old 09-17-2008, 03:38 PM   #5
cisco240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
cisco240 has much to be proud ofcisco240 has much to be proud ofcisco240 has much to be proud ofcisco240 has much to be proud ofcisco240 has much to be proud ofcisco240 has much to be proud ofcisco240 has much to be proud ofcisco240 has much to be proud ofcisco240 has much to be proud ofcisco240 has much to be proud ofcisco240 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
LS1. KA-T is nice, but If I could do it again, I would have done LS1 instead of KA-T. Built KA-T is still nice though.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:46 PM   #6
sac
Zilvia Addict

sac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymore
While the LS is going to be alot easier to derive power and tq from, the LS is heavier than what i am already considering heavy..Sure the LS is a VERY LIGHT V8.. But even still heavier. But at the same time, If i just did a rebuild and kept LS cams and crank.. Boosted LS1-s14 would be THE FUCKIN MOST INSANE THING EVER. AND i could still have a car with 25+mpg to drive around town.

And on the reverse fact. I could sell out lots of the stuff i already have for the KA build, and use that chunk to afford the LS1 swap, and possibly boost the LS1
Old 09-17-2008, 04:03 PM   #7
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
Flicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Flicktitty
LS1 FTW! i don't even know why you would consider a KA-T over it.
Intake,cam and head work and a tune you got 400WHP That is NIE and like you said 25+ MPG and be overly reliable.

Everyone i talk to with a SR or a KA that has had it for a while say's "if i could go back"they always say i woulda went with a RB/2J/LSX motor.

don't be one of them and in a year be kicking yourself in the ass.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:04 PM   #8
sac
Zilvia Addict

ya.. but how much $ am i gonna lose in selling off all my stuff i have now?
IF I COULD GET WHAT I PAID FOR OUT OF EVERYTHING I WOULD DO IT FOR SURE.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:41 PM   #9
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
SimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sac View Post
IF I COULD GET WHAT I PAID FOR OUT OF EVERYTHING I WOULD DO IT FOR SURE.

You're not, and you probably already know this.

If A/C is not a concern, go with the LS1 and sell some of those KA-T bits to me.

(i voted LS1)
Old 09-17-2008, 05:52 PM   #10
Lr308
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Lr308 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
LS14
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ls1god.jpg (47.2 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by Lr308; 09-21-2008 at 02:41 PM..
Old 09-17-2008, 06:03 PM   #11
tckracker
Leaky Injector

tckracker will become famous soon enoughtckracker will become famous soon enoughtckracker will become famous soon enough
s13

I actually have both an S13 Hatch ka-t and a s13 coupe LS1... I love the ka-t but there is nothing like driving a light weight torque monster LS1 and I'm not even trying for high horsepower rather 400rwhp daily drivability... and I'm contemplating selling the Ka-t Either way 240's kick ass
Old 09-17-2008, 08:42 PM   #12
ATLspeed
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (14)
ATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
how often does the chance come around to do an LS1 swap? do the LS1 swap.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:19 PM   #13
rb25_s13*CHUKI
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
rb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to rb25_s13*CHUKI
Ka-t........
Old 09-17-2008, 09:38 PM   #14
soreballz
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
soreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to soreballz
You HAVE the engine and trans already... Shit, fuck the KA-T.

LS1 LS1 LS1 LS1 LS1 LS1 LS1 LS1 LS1 LS1 LS1 LS1 LS1 LS1 LS1 LS1 LS1 LS1 LS1 LS1 LS1 LS1 LS1 LS1 LS1 LS1 LS1 LS1 LS1 LS1 LS1 LS1 LS1 LS1 LS1 LS1 LS1 LS1 LS1 LS1 LS1 LS1 LS1 LS1 LS1 LS1 LS1 LS1 LS1 LS1 LS1 LS1 LS1 LS1

EDIT: You say that you wanna end up with about 450whp... the LS1 will last alot longer, even with CONSTANT beatings, at that power level than the KA-T. AND, your gas mileage will probably be better.
Last time I checked this is a Zilvia not a fucking group session to deal with self-esteem issues where everyone is a winner and cares about you, your individuality and lack of taste.

Last edited by soreballz; 09-18-2008 at 12:19 AM..
Old 09-17-2008, 10:41 PM   #15
ryguy
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
ryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Where the hell do you get a free LS1? How does that happen in real life?

I'm Jealous. I voted LS1 btw.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:56 PM   #16
JRas
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
JRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JRas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy View Post
Where the hell do you get a free LS1? How does that happen in real life?

I'm Jealous. I voted LS1 btw.
seriously!? ...

here man since I'm such a nice guy and all I'll help you

I'll take the LS1/T56 off your hands.. so you can continue the KA-T build

but lets be clear YOU OWE ME ONE

Old 09-18-2008, 12:04 AM   #17
irax
Post Whore!

irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to irax
LS1 is about as heavy as a KA
IF NOT LIGHTER

so stfu already and do the LS1 swap, YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!
Old 09-18-2008, 12:32 AM   #18
Z33dori
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
Z33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
ls1

the ka will just blow up on you
Old 09-18-2008, 01:24 AM   #19
sac
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by irax View Post
LS1 is about as heavy as a KA
IF NOT LIGHTER

so stfu already and do the LS1 swap, YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!
Actually, if you have done the research, you would know that a LS1 swap is approx. 150 pounds HEAVIER than the ka setup. Sure the block is light, but that big beefy drool worthy T56 is heavy. And your clutch and flywheel is heavier as well.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:09 AM   #20
blu808
Post Whore!

blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to blu808
A 450whp ka will be alot slower than a 450 whp ls1. It will also break down alot more, and have little quirky problems that all built engines have to deal with.

I say Ls1, Cam, double roller timing chain, patriot heads with valve train, ls6 intake manifold, and tuning.

500 whp all day long with decent gas mileage. And the tq should really be the seller here.

My supercharged built Ls1 makes over 800 wtq at only 2000 rpm, and goes all the way upto 1080 wtq higher in the rpm range.

Shit. Even my old rx-7 with a stock Ls1 with conservative cam, dual valve springs, ti retainers, underdrive pulleys, long tube headers, cai, and custom exhaust made over 330 wtq right when I hit the gas on the dyno at 2k rpm. and made 388 whp. All on 91 gas. We beat the shit out of that thing for a whole year of drifting events, san jose GP, formul D pro am, etc, etc, etc. All we did was change the oil.

Then again you could have the best of both worlds like my fc. 488 WHP at only 9psi. Completely STOCK engine. Just injectors, and tuning.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:21 AM   #21
twistex
Leaky Injector

twistex is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to twistex
Do ls1.. I will be going to slc next month.. if its not snowing I will give you a ride in my s13. One ride and you will want a ls1! Love the TORQUE Currently my setup is in a LHD s13 coupe. Its getting transplanted in a silvia RHD. Nothing will ever compare to the low end power and torque a ls1 makes hands down.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:26 AM   #22
Z33dori
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
Z33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
god i this is really making me reconsider keeping my SR.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:26 AM   #23
rb25_s13*CHUKI
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
rb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to rb25_s13*CHUKI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z33dori View Post
god i this is really making me reconsider keeping my SR.
Keep the sr...
Old 09-18-2008, 06:50 AM   #24
sac
Zilvia Addict

Luke, your right. I am gonna send ya a pm on some stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistex View Post
Do ls1.. I will be going to slc next month.. if its not snowing I will give you a ride in my s13. One ride and you will want a ls1! Love the TORQUE Currently my setup is in a LHD s13 coupe. Its getting transplanted in a silvia RHD. Nothing will ever compare to the low end power and torque a ls1 makes hands down.
Well i have driven many ls1 cars. My neighbor has a ls1 fc vert and a ls1fc. Also, i have driven a ls1 fd and they feel so damn amazing.

Well ladies and gents..
All KA-T engine parts are up for sale.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:33 AM   #25
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

SimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb25_s13*CHUKI View Post
Keep the sr...
why? just wondering
Old 09-18-2008, 08:47 AM   #26
RED ST
Leaky Injector

RED ST is an unknown quantity at this point
dude go ls1 the engine is awesome and the TQ is great.. more reliable to
Old 09-18-2008, 09:39 AM   #27
idahotuner
Zilvia FREAK!

idahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond repute
how much do ls1 and t56 tranny go for?
Old 09-18-2008, 10:00 AM   #28
sac
Zilvia Addict

there is some i have found for right around 2500. But most go around 3500-4k.
The one i snagged, i knew entire history. Hell i changed his oil and coolant and shit almost all the time. I would have expected it to be worth 4k easy. Its a VERY CLEAN SETUP. but.. down to machine shop it went.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:45 PM   #29
idahotuner
Zilvia FREAK!

cause i am thinkign about swaping out fora ls1 w/ t56 for my next upgrade. selling my sr and stuff
Old 09-20-2008, 08:46 PM   #30
NiSmOKnIghTsRBS14
Zilvia Junkie

NiSmOKnIghTsRBS14 is close to perfectionNiSmOKnIghTsRBS14 is close to perfectionNiSmOKnIghTsRBS14 is close to perfectionNiSmOKnIghTsRBS14 is close to perfectionNiSmOKnIghTsRBS14 is close to perfectionNiSmOKnIghTsRBS14 is close to perfectionNiSmOKnIghTsRBS14 is close to perfectionNiSmOKnIghTsRBS14 is close to perfectionNiSmOKnIghTsRBS14 is close to perfectionNiSmOKnIghTsRBS14 is close to perfectionNiSmOKnIghTsRBS14 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to NiSmOKnIghTsRBS14
SELL the ls1 and the kat stuff.... and go with LS2
intake, header, exhast, cam, pushrods, dual valve springs, ti retainers, tune
440rwhp allday

just my 2 cent