Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 09-07-2014, 02:45 PM   #1
outta

Trader Rating: (0)
outta is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s14 Cruise Control not working (Yes, I checked the clutch switch)

So for a good time now, the cruise control on my '97 KA has been out of service. Not sure what triggered it, but it worked fine up until about a few months ago. I'm aware of the clutch trigger switch on top of the clutch assembly, but I'm led to believe this isn't the issue.

Here's what I've come to: Whenever I hit the on/off Cruise control switch on my dash, I heard a clicking coming from my ECU kick panel, so today, I finally decided to check it out. (I've got a road trip coming up and cruise control would serve me stupendously) There's two relays behind my ECU, and these are what's clicking. I know one of them goes to the fuel pump, but when I took the other relay off, the clicking stopped. So I know it's something to do with this relay, whether the wiring or the relay itself. I don't have the best background in electrical work, so could someone explain this so kindly?

What is this relay for/to? It's the one with the black, green and pink wires. Does the clicking necessarily mean a short or a bad ground? If so, and assuming there's someone out there who knows where these wires go, what's the best way to triangulate the source of the problem?

(if it's worth noting, my tachometer busted around the time of this happening. Seems to have a mind of its own, jumping all over like it's possessed...)

Thanks in advance!
outta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2014, 03:54 PM   #2
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Your ECCS relays are back there. The fuel pump relay is in the driver's side kick panel.

Check the fuse and relay for ASCD. They should both be located under the hood in the main fuse/relay panel by the battery.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:16 PM   #3
Agamemnon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (20)
Agamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Check the brake switch that cancels the cruise function. Is the cruise on/off light coming on when you press the button to activate the ascd system?
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 05:18 PM   #4
outta

Yes the light on the Cruise control button (little green dot) comes on when I turn it on. But when im driving and I hit the set button on the steering wheel controller, the "cruise" light doesn't come on, nor does the cruise activate.

I'll check the brake switch and the fuses and relays and let y'all know if they're good.

Thanks!
Old 09-07-2014, 08:26 PM   #5
Agamemnon
Post Whore!

Agamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfection
There a two plastic buttons that press into the brake pedal assembly that contact the brake and cruise cancel switch. Over time they crack and fall away. There's a good chance that you dont have that any more.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:40 PM   #6
outta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
There a two plastic buttons that press into the brake pedal assembly that contact the brake and cruise cancel switch. Over time they crack and fall away. There's a good chance that you dont have that any more.
I did take a look at that just now. And yeah, I noticed two switches atop the brake assembly. I compressed my brakes and tried to feel for a button, but it seemed very small and short, unlike the button from the clutch switch. By "crack and fall away", are you referring to the button part of the switch that comes in contact with the brake pedal? If so, couldn't I just JB weld something to the tip, to where it's being pressed all the way?
Old 09-07-2014, 09:04 PM   #7
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Yes, he's referring to the rubber "bumper" that the switch hits when the pedal is depressed.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:01 AM   #8
Agamemnon
Post Whore!

Its the little green guy.

This is what happens

OEM replacement
Old 09-08-2014, 02:21 PM   #9
outta

So I took a look under there after seeing these pics, and I noticed the rubber thing is missing and there's a hole. Seems to be exactly the problem. Called my local Nissan parts shop and they have some in stock. In going to pick one up tomorrow and see is that fixes the problem.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:43 PM   #10
kruked
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (37)
kruked is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Save yourself some money and super glue a coin there.

The clicking of the relay, (most any relays) is normal. Don't fret because you hear clicking.

I've never owned an s14, sorry that I can't be of anymore assistance.
kruked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:55 PM   #11
outta

Just bought the rubber bumper and my cruise control now works! Seriously, thanks everyone! All I could find when I googled/searched forums about cruise control issues, most people have it solved with the clutch switch. Although I feel kind of dumb for overthinking it to electrical issues...

Nonetheless... Problem: SOLVED!