Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-20-2020, 11:23 PM   #1
kkmecham88

Trader Rating: (0)
kkmecham88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SR Sr20 won?t start

I?ve swapped a SR20DET into my 93 hatch and have had a lot of problems. The company I bought it from said it was a running engine but I can?t get it to start. I tore the engine apart when I got it and replaced all the gaskets with a isr gasket kit and a tomei head gasket. I?ve also replaced the igniter chip and got a brand new wiring specialty?s harness. After I got the harness my fuel pump stopped working for some reason but I just put it on a switch after messing with it for a while. I?ve checked the compression and got 120 130 130 135. Another problem is cylinder 1 has no spark but the engine should still run ?just not very well? the only engine code it?s throwing is no ignition signal. All other cylinders are getting spark. I replaced the injectors with my brand new injectors from the ka I took out and still nothing. I?ve tried starting it with starter fluid because I can?t hear any of the cylinders firing even with the starter fluid still none of the cylinders are firing. Is there any wires I should be checking or anything else that I should be looking at I?m still learning and I want actual advice please don?t tell me to look at the fsm I?ve don?t that multiple times. I just need help is my ecu bad should I just go get a power fc 😂 did I fuck up my timing the timing chain had 20 pins in between the 2 cam gears and all the dots line up on the cas. My fuel lines should all be good someone please help I really want to drive my car.
kkmecham88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2020, 05:42 AM   #2
S14rebuild
BANNED

Trader Rating: (8)
S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Your compression is NOT good. u said u replaced the headgasket, i would start with checking your mechanical timing and then making sure you cas is installed properly. Sounds like you really messed this swap up.

You can not use ka injectors on an sr20 they dont feed enough fuel.

And yes you need to follow the fsm...just cause you looked at it doesnt mean you understand it and follow the directions...

The mote i reread your post, its very clear your in over your head and you dont have a clue on what your doing. I would bring the car to a reputable repair shop that can diagnosis all the issues and fix the car properly.
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 06:30 AM   #3
NukeKS14
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
NukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Wow... there's a lot to unpack here. Step 1; STOP BUYING NEW STUFF TO ADD TO THE MIX AND TROUBLESHOOT WHAT IS ON THE CAR NOW.

It would help if you told us what year SR20 you swapped in as well. There are differences between the red top, black top, S15, etc..

You've done so much to this car all at the same time. Hard to tell where to begin here. Pretty much everything you messed with will keep the car from running.

If you read the FSM then you already know those compression numbers aren't good.

128 is the BARE minimum with 156 being ideal and max 14psi deviation between cylinders.

The fact that you aren't troubleshooting issues like the fuel pump not running on your harness troubles me. You can't go Kool-Aid man through every wall and just hope everything turns out ok in the end. Did you contact WS about that? If I just spent a bunch of money on a new wiring harness, the fuel pump worked before and it does NOT work now would cause me to stop, contact WS, and get that sorted before proceeding. I'd start there for your fuel pump, assuming I have the facts right.

And, yeah, you need to figure out why you aren't getting spark on cylinder 1. I don't know why you want to attempt to run an engine on 3 cylinders but let me be the first to tell you; Don't!

Hopefully you got the timing chain installed correctly. Here's an article to check your CAS installation and make sure it's aligned correctly;

https://frsport.com/How-To-Set-Crank...gine_t_25.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYBHLjY4sRw

As for the injectors, the OEM size for the S13/S14 injectors is 370cc. You've installed 270cc injectors... Those are too small for your application. Might want to try to get the right fuel injectors in there. What was wrong with the ones that came with it if it ran before you took everything apart?

What code are you getting exactly? No ignition signal to ECU will absolutely keep the car from running. I AM going to tell you to read the FSM because the FSM will walk you through troubleshooting all of this stuff. Honestly. EC section. If you've read it multiple times, telling us what portions of the troubleshooting section you performed would be helpful. I'm not going to type this out in my own words when Nissan already did a better job. With pictures.

https://www.nicoclub.com/service-man...14-SR20DET.pdf

I'm guessing you're getting code 21? Have you performed these steps already? This tells you what wires to check for continuity, what you should see when you check them, etc...

NukeKS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 07:06 AM   #4
S14rebuild
BANNED

S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
^^^^^brooooo to much help.
Old 07-21-2020, 08:54 AM   #5
OnTheChip
Zilvia Junkie

OnTheChip is an unknown quantity at this point
Did an SR20DET ECU come with the swap?
OnTheChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:17 AM   #6
kkmecham88

Thank you for taking the time to respond with that. I have a red top Sr20 from the s13. I just swapped the injectors over to see if it fixed my problem, if maybe there was no fuel getting into the cylinders I wasn?t actually going to use them full time I am aware that they are smaller injectors. I don?t see how I could have messed up my head gasket how ever I did do valve seals if that could have caused a problem. I had to buy a new harness because the one that came with the engine was molested and I did contact wiring specialties and they basically told me that I?m the problem ?which wouldn?t surprise me? I also had to buy a new igniter chip because the engine didn?t come with one and yes it did come with the ecu. And the problem I figured out with the fuel pump is the ecu isn?t triggering the ground switch which is why I just wired it to a switch that grounds it. I am definitely way over my head and I?m aware of that. Also the previous owner wired in a push to start that?s wired directly to the starter could that cause any problems.
Old 07-21-2020, 09:23 AM   #7
S14rebuild
BANNED

Plesse take the car to a shop that has exprience with sr20 swaps.....

Ur in a big pile of shit and u havent even started to dig out
Old 07-21-2020, 10:20 AM   #8
coupesallday!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (18)
coupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Send a message via MSN to coupesallday!
Go to wiring specialties website on how to install the harness and follow their directions step by step.
coupesallday! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 10:45 AM   #9
S14rebuild
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupesallday! View Post
Go to wiring specialties website on how to install the harness and follow their directions step by step.
If he cant install the wiring harness properly, why would we think he could do the headgasket job, and timing properly?
Old 07-21-2020, 11:11 AM   #10
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 06:31 PM   #11
NukeKS14
Zilvia Member

NukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14rebuild View Post
^^^^^brooooo to much help.

Yeah, homeboy has dug himself a pretty deep hole

I get bored sometimes...
Old 07-21-2020, 06:37 PM   #12
S14rebuild
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NukeKS14 View Post

Yeah, homeboy has dug himself a pretty deep hole

I get bored sometimes...
Lol i dont mind to help, but when info and help.is given and they chose not to.follow or even acknowledge the help...i pass and flame instead lol
Old 07-21-2020, 07:37 PM   #13
NukeKS14
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14rebuild View Post
Lol i dont mind to help, but when info and help.is given and they chose not to.follow or even acknowledge the help...i pass and flame instead lol
https://zilvia.net/f/search.php?searchid=17422463

Oh damn, I really stepped in it. Didn't realize this was ANOTHER duplicate thread in an ongoing issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NukeKS14
Really though, just make a "I need help with my SR swap" thread and stop making separate threads for each symptom you're having. This is all related to your swap and the gremlins may be interrelated as well (Frankenstein wiring harness.) You lose fidelity when everything you've done up to that point troubleshooting gets lost in your new thread.
https://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=673971

Old 07-21-2020, 08:35 PM   #14
sean1
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (11)
sean1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Did you hold throttle open when doing compression test? If not that’s why the numbers are low.
How are you checking for spark?
Pull the bolts on the fuel rail, pull it off a little and have somebody try to start it, do you see fuel squirting out of the injectors?
sean1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 10:27 PM   #15
kkmecham88

Unfortunately I?m not a complete dumbass and I?m 100% sure I installed the harness correctly. I?m not ignoring help either I?m taking everything everyone is saying and using it. I also did not check the compression with full throttle like I said I am still learning when I get Time I will Go and work on my car see what I can figure out. Thanks
Old 07-21-2020, 10:33 PM   #16
kkmecham88

Also the old thread that you posted in is something that was fixed for the most part when I got the ws harness I have spark on all cylinders except cylinder one which I feel is either a igniter chip problem or an ecu problem. I will have to go through the diag shit later.
Old 07-22-2020, 04:23 AM   #17
S14rebuild
BANNED

This thread is a waste.....
Old 07-22-2020, 09:21 AM   #18
OnTheChip
Zilvia Junkie

OnTheChip is an unknown quantity at this point
"Also the previous owner wired in a push to start that?s wired directly to the starter could that cause any problems."

Yes, if the start signal wire to ECU pin 34 is not included.
OnTheChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 09:46 AM   #19
S14rebuild
BANNED

Why bother messn around and discussing starting problems and running issues when your compression is LOW!!!

yall crazy