Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-12-2015, 06:17 PM   #31
Rocketbunny240sx
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Rocketbunny240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No the engine sounded the same it was running the same and not even the professionals knew till they popped off the valve cover
Rocketbunny240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2015, 06:18 PM   #32
Rocketbunny240sx
Leaky Injector

They thought it was something minor like a vacuum leak
Old 02-12-2015, 06:22 PM   #33
Ilya
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
Ilya is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
hmmmm. that is some silent sniper Chris Kyle stuff right there!!

Last edited by Ilya; 02-12-2015 at 06:52 PM..
Ilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:15 PM   #34
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketbunny240sx View Post
Hey guys so i figured out what happened. It turns out one of my lifters or valves blew up cuz of my camshafts i have hks camshafts and i guess it probably hopped or something happened there but thats what was causing all the problems. I hope this helps you guys out for future use.
BS. I bet they only told you that. A running Sr20det (that sounds normal, no clacking tapping noises) will never have issues with the valvetrain unless you install aftermarket cams/springs incorrectly and most of the time that ruins the entire engine (journal scores, dropped valves, etc...). Think about this, if the engine is boosting fine then the valves must be opening correctly, which means the camshafts and springs are doing their jobs.

Your bypass valve (blow-off) was causing the idle drop / rich stall condition you had. That is why tightening it seemed to help. You could have further diagnosed the issue by tape'ing the damn thing shut with some regular duct tape and go for a drive to verify. Shady mechanics that notice you know nothing about cars will tell you whatever you want to hear and charge your ignorance.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:19 PM   #35
Rocketbunny240sx
Leaky Injector

Tbh i really dont know. I only just got the car for like a month. Like i said i have hks camshafts but apparently they said one of the valves or lifter is worn out and had a big gap or something like that which caused some mix up
Old 02-12-2015, 07:22 PM   #36
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbh148 View Post
Everybody always says IACV and MAF stuff in these kinds of threads, but you never ever see anybody report back that replacing those things or changing them made any difference.

I had this same problem, and what fixed it for me was having my SR's intake pipe extended to 18" (between the MAF and the turbo) with two 90 degree bends added.

So lets talk about this as well. The factory intake rubber (and all similar length inlet tubes, like the greddy) is designed with the factory bypass valve in mind, meaning that, at idle, and during off-throttle conditions, the bypass is leaking air back to the rubber intake tube to prevent this exact problem.

When you install an aftermarket Bypass, such as a HKS SSQV, or any bypass that holds shut at idle, the air will flow backwards through the turbocharger (instead of through the bypass) at idle and the maf sensor will see that and the engine will run rich when you lift from the throttle. You can fix with an extended/bendy inlet tube, or running an open bypass at idle (such as a recirculated greddy type-S)
Old 02-12-2015, 07:42 PM   #37
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Quote:
Tbh i really dont know. I only just got the car for like a month. Like i said i have hks camshafts but apparently they said one of the valves or lifter is worn out and had a big gap or something like that which caused some mix up
Its complete nonsense. You cant even see the valves or lifters without taking apart the engine. And if a valve was bent or ruined, A: the car wouldn't run well B: compression will be lower (a compression test is free and easy to do) C: if they took apart the engine and found a bent valve, they should return it to you for proof. Never take anyone's word. Also, a real shop performs a compression test before touching anything, or making any bold claim about a valve/lifter. Where are your compression test results?
Old 02-12-2015, 07:43 PM   #38
Rocketbunny240sx
Leaky Injector

they did that tho they took the valve cover off and did a few checks around it and found it.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:44 AM   #39
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Quote:
they did that tho they took the valve cover off and did a few checks around it and found it.
taking off the valvecover is not taking apart the engine. to see the valves you have to pull the head off the engine. Which means removing exhaust manifold, intake manifold, all plumbing, turbocharger, etc....

You can NOT just look under a valvecover and see a bent valve. You can't really see anything except whether the rockers are all intact and if the lobes look good.

Also... "Found It" that found WHAT? You still havnt been specific with what exactly "they found". Nobody, even you, has any clue what "they found" because they probably didnt find anything.
You are getting scammed, is my diagnosis, based on the information you have provided.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:09 AM   #40
Rocketbunny240sx
Leaky Injector

Im probably gonna have to have a look at this myself. I'll take it apart and see whats going on.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:13 AM   #41
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Well i brought my 240sx in to a professional shop and they said their gonna change my ecu considering its old now. So their giving me a nismo ecu system to tune the car and btw yes you are right my digital gauge has told me multiple times the car has too much air flow then too len and then when stopping rich and then its difficult to restart the car cuz its too rich. So id have to rev the engine while starting to get it back up and running. I hope they pros can get it working im getting the car fixed by friday. So their gonna have a new ecu and a good tune. The car can run 104 octane and also its been daily driven at 19-25 psi but i had to set it to 14 psi stock due to the leakage right? Im gonna try and have it reset again.
They lied, probably just add a sticker to your ECU. There are some nismo ECUs but they are different, old, and your map would not fit on it.

Also if the maps you have are set for 104 octane, you'd have melted your pistons or made holes in them. High octane = more timing = tons of detonation and swift engine death with regular octane.

Go away from that shop.

Quote:
Hey guys so i figured out what happened. It turns out one of my lifters or valves blew up cuz of my camshafts i have hks camshafts and i guess it probably hopped or something happened there but thats what was causing all the problems. I hope this helps you guys out for future use.
They lied again, go away from that shop. Your car would not run at all if you had a "blown lifter or bent valve". You'd hear it . A blown lifter would sound like a hammer in the engine, plus it would surely have broken a rocker as it would only have 1 lifter to push on. Your engine would not be turning anymore. Same as the bent valve.

Quote:
No the engine sounded the same it was running the same and not even the professionals knew till they popped off the valve cover
Let me guess ... they now want to sell you new cams and are happy to recycle your dead cams back ?

Can you name that shop, so other people DON'T end up there ?
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:53 AM   #42
Rocketbunny240sx
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croustibat View Post
They lied, probably just add a sticker to your ECU. There are some nismo ECUs but they are different, old, and your map would not fit on it.

Also if the maps you have are set for 104 octane, you'd have melted your pistons or made holes in them. High octane = more timing = tons of detonation and swift engine death with regular octane.

Go away from that shop.

They lied again, go away from that shop. Your car would not run at all if you had a "blown lifter or bent valve". You'd hear it . A blown lifter would sound like a hammer in the engine, plus it would surely have broken a rocker as it would only have 1 lifter to push on. Your engine would not be turning anymore. Same as the bent valve.

Let me guess ... they now want to sell you new cams and are happy to recycle your dead cams back ?

Can you name that shop, so other people DON'T end up there ?
Well actually they were right. I opened up my ecu and they had a brand new board in. They also added a usb port so i can manually tune it which was pretty cool. And my cam shaft when i had a look at it one of the bearings or thats what i think its called is rounded out from hitting the one lifter many times and its a circle now. If i ran that car any more probs would have blown up. So they set it at low boost and ordered me some new cams and lifters for a grand which is pretty cheap actually. Then they will bring my car in for a tune for 300 or so.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:42 PM   #43
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Well actually they were right. I opened up my ecu and they had a brand new board in. They also added a usb port so i can manually tune it which was pretty cool. And my cam shaft when i had a look at it one of the bearings or thats what i think its called is rounded out from hitting the one lifter many times and its a circle now. If i ran that car any more probs would have blown up. So they set it at low boost and ordered me some new cams and lifters for a grand which is pretty cheap actually. Then they will bring my car in for a tune for 300 or so.
Dude, words have meanings, if you don't bother using them properly we have no way of knowing what you mean. So first you have a nismo ECU, then you have a new nismo board in your ECU with an USB port ...

Meaning you have either a nisTUNE, or a nismoTRONIC, but neither are a nismo ECU ...

Do as you want, just dont come crying. mapped at 104 octane, worn AAC so "they set it at low boost"... you are either a genius troll or a genuine idiot. I really can't tell.
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 02:50 PM   #44
Rocketbunny240sx
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croustibat View Post
Dude, words have meanings, if you don't bother using them properly we have no way of knowing what you mean. So first you have a nismo ECU, then you have a new nismo board in your ECU with an USB port ...

Meaning you have either a nisTUNE, or a nismoTRONIC, but neither are a nismo ECU ...

Do as you want, just dont come crying. mapped at 104 octane, worn AAC so "they set it at low boost"... you are either a genius troll or a genuine idiot. I really can't tell.
Its not like i always 104 octane it. Im saying it can 104 octane and i usually only do that on a track then have it serviced and checked. I may not know everything but i know enough to be able to fix it now