Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-01-2020, 12:48 PM   #421
kyral
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
kyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nice
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
Ethanol is a very powerful solvent, sterilizing, cleaning agent. And S14 fuel tanks are very old.

Imagine you have a 20 year old fuel tank and pour in a very powerful cleaning agent for the first time in 20 years. Do you realllyy want to run a fuel system right after you pour in the cleaning solution?

As you should be able to imagine, when you put in the alcohol, it will probably solubize (soluabize? solubilityize...) It will probably dissolve all manner of filth from the tank and pull that into solution. Thus I believe you will be setting yourself up for a crazy amount of fuel system failure... clogged filters, ruined pumps, who knows what will happen next.

The other issue is, even if the tank is unaffected itself, there are many items inside fuel tanks which were never expected to come into contact with high concentration Alcohol. Maybe some metal piece or foreign O-ring materials, or maybe some low quality plastic with poor seals, who knows what. You put that Alcohol into a tank without going over/through every single submerged item is asking for big trouble.

The only way I would put alcohol fuel in my S14 tank is if I removed it first, completely empty it out, then wash and clean it spotless like new. And remove everything from it and inspect those things and verify they are alcohol friendly (perhaps by submerging them in a bottle of alcohol on the kitchen table for a while... or something like that). It's just my way of being absolutely sure... because a fuel system failure is no joke. Thousands of dollars in repeat spending and the chance of a double failure when you forgot to clean or replace just one thing.
Probably the only way I Would use alcohol fuel is by installing a fuel cell and strict return system for that cell to contain the alcohol away from my factory tank. IMO IMO

Finally I am worried about the factory flaw in S14 fuel tanks, you know the one where they start to leak? I am worried that the only thing holding mine together is the gunk on the bottom of the tank (ha-ha??).

Be very careful because alcohol is powerful and will strip, clean, and potentially corrode (as it will gradually pull in water) many things... unexpectedly... better just to drink alcohol instead usually
you've sold me, ill be making the switch from gasoline to e85 for my parts cleaning bucket
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2020, 09:13 PM   #422
Sforteen
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
Sforteen is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Been using E85 for years in my S14, I use a 7 Mircon fuel filter and dont let it sit with E85 over winter, in fact just burned out most of it this last weekend. I havent had any issues from using it that im aware of. I will be pulling the injectors this year and having them cleaned/ flow checked for the first time since using Ethanol.

The biggest thing i have seen with E85 is when it sits, inside my last engine you could see trace evidence of rust/ really light pitting where the oil control ring was sitting for the period of time it wasnt in use. I never did have any issues with that engine, it had a great leakdown when it was taken apart to inspect. It was 7+ years old and dealing with abuse i had never built it for.

It also had a very strange black film on the intake valves that was very sticky and hard to remove, it was very thin and just looked like carbon. Ive taken apart quite a few engines over the yeard and have only noticed this on engines that run alot of Ethanol.

Last edited by Sforteen; 11-02-2020 at 10:12 AM..
Sforteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 10:42 PM   #423
zombiewolf513
BANNED

Trader Rating: (6)
zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
How often do you run a tank of premium through?
zombiewolf513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 10:10 AM   #424
Sforteen
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
Sforteen is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiewolf513 View Post
How often do you run a tank of premium through?
I run Premium in it thru the Winter, so its getting multiple tanks.

When i noticed the things i described above that was before i ran premium thru it in the winter. It was on Straight E85 for a couple few years on that engine.
Sforteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 07:04 AM   #425
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyral View Post
you've sold me, ill be making the switch from gasoline to e85 for my parts cleaning bucket
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyral View Post
Hope u jest
You don't want to touch gasoline.

Alcohol is fine, if its just Ethanol. You don't want to touch Methanol.
The trouble is getting a pure alcohol without any methanol in it.
Methanol turns to formaldehyde when it comes into contact with alcohol dehydrogenase, a common enzyme. So beware any hand sanitizer that contains methanol, it is not safe to touch.

We get 100% Ethanol in our lab, very expensive.

I use the pure stuff for tissue dehydration, wax embedding, and denatured versions for sanitation/sterilizing when diluted to 70% with water.
Being so familiar with these and other dangerous liquids is why I stress their properties, to people who probably rarely see them in their full strength.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 01:24 PM   #426
Vicious Beaner!
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (38)
Vicious Beaner! is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 38 reviews
How often is it recommended to clean out Filters and get the injectors flow tested /cleaned ?
Vicious Beaner! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 12:13 PM   #427
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
Hope u jest
You don't want to touch gasoline.
I have regularly used gasoline to clean parts, never had a problem lol.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 11:25 AM   #428
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Ethanol loves to absorb water, which is why things can start to rust when you let it sit. It's definitely a use-it-or-lose-it fuel. There are some seemingly decent stabilizers on the market, but who really knows how long they last or how they change the fuel. It's definitely best to keep things up and running. I recommend draining the tank during any kind of storage over a month long even with gasoline, no fuel lasts very long at it's peak performance when it's stored in an environment where air can get to it.

The black buildup is also pretty common in engines that use a lot of ethanol, best to have a flex fuel sensor and run it on pump gas now and then, the valves and injector tips will clean themselves pretty quickly.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:38 AM   #429
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
I have regularly used gasoline to clean parts, never had a problem lol.
But are you keeping track of epithelial basal cell DNA quality?

Gasoline is toxic as f to cell and being a hydrocarbon it will diffuse right through cell membranes and destroy the machinery inside cells. It's metabolic products are dangerous and it will right through to blood and affect your liver as the liver tries to detoxify the hydrocarbons, but there is no functional group on gasoline so it has no idea where to break the chains which results with myriad carbon radicals and cations forming. Thus from blood it can damage all manner of tissues with poor detoxification rate. It's like injecting a swarm of sticky angry bees to your blood that go around stinging and clinging to everything they can find.

VERY BAD

My background is biological science, bioengineering, I study cancer and DNA all day every day, I have a grant from National institute of health to develop some things, biomimetic 3D tumor and treatments,

I say all this so you guys will take this very seriously: do NOT touch gasoline or oil-based products, your life depends on it and the effects are not immediately visible but it will have long term association with many disease pathways you won't even suspect, deep inside the body, nevermind the skin cancer aspect
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 08:32 AM   #430
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Odd how people touch oily car parts their whole lives with no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote