Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Polls

Polls Post All Polls in Here.

View Poll Results: Which would you prefer?
SR20DET (s14) 45 37.19%
RB25DET 56 46.28%
I love my KA/CA how it is! 20 16.53%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2003, 03:52 PM   #1
Saul240
BANNED

Trader Rating: (0)
Saul240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Saul240
SR20DET(s14) vs. RB25DET

SR20DET(s14 version) vs. RB25DET .......for price and performance.....best deal
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2004, 07:22 PM   #2
rps13_fastback
Zilvia Addict

rps13_fastback can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to rps13_fastback
s14 IMO because it's cheaper out the door.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:00 PM   #3
FRpilot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
FRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
i voted for rb.. but iono maybe b/c its a skyline motor. haha.. but anyways, after considering options..
s14SR and RB25 cost about the same for a front clip. however, RB will cost more to drop in since it needs custom mounts and driveshaft, etc.

Wiring will be a little different for both. RB probably has the ability to handle more boost SAFELY since its spread through six cylinders compared to four thus making more power. But depends on how you build up each motor. If you stroke the s14sr to 2.2L than you might have something.

Price of parts is quite different as well. It will cost MORE to buy RB parts since they are rarer and SR parts are so popular that most of them are in stock in the US. also considering, you have to pay for more stuff since its six cylinders (ie. 6 forged pistons comapred to 4, 6 injectors to 4, etc.) higher price parts for the RB since the demand isn't as high as SR parts. etc.

Both can make great power. I think the S14 sr is more bang for the buck compared to the RB unless you have tons of money and money isn't really an issue and you're going for more power and more bling factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
remember, people on this forum are STUPID. use your common sense.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:18 PM   #4
nightwalker
Nissanaholic!

nightwalker is an unknown quantity at this point
RB! cause skyline motors are sick. and since I can't afford a skyline, I'll take the motor instead. Why would you want an aneamic 4 cylinder anyways. Everyone knows you need a inline 6 to be icey hot! You can't drift on a 4 cylinder either, it's too week! Skyline power all the way! Bitches like it too when I tell them I have an icey hot skyline motor.
Old 10-21-2004, 02:06 AM   #5
TurK
Zilvia Addict

TurK is making his/her stupidity well-knownTurK is making his/her stupidity well-knownTurK is making his/her stupidity well-knownTurK is making his/her stupidity well-knownTurK is making his/her stupidity well-known
Send a message via AIM to TurK
i hope you are joking ^^
Old 10-21-2004, 02:28 AM   #6
dct223
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
dct223 is just really nicedct223 is just really nicedct223 is just really nicedct223 is just really nicedct223 is just really nicedct223 is just really nicedct223 is just really nicedct223 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dct223
authough the RB25 is a sweet motor... the cost of putting it in your car and having it run is too much
Old 10-21-2004, 02:41 AM   #7
RMiller

RMiller is an unknown quantity at this point
If I was going to spend the kind of money it takes to put in an rb25, I'd save some more until I could put in a rb26dett. Bigger injectors, plenty of turbo, couple upgrades net 400whp. It'd probably cost like $9k to get it running at that level, probably close to what an sr or rb25 would cost for the same power level, but with better drivability (than sr20 mainly).

But what do I know, I have a ca.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:30 PM   #8
ghostuss
Zilvia FREAK!

ghostuss is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ghostuss
I would go KA-t. SR or RB is just JDM style right now. Not really the best if you consider you going have to upgrade and rebuild all the stuff if you want to run 300+ HP anyways. Just me 2cent.

ButtonWillow, CA entire circuit drift/grip event by shock drifting spot for sale. Take over my spot for $150 only.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:18 PM   #9
Y3llowS14
Zilvia Member

Y3llowS14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostuss
I would go KA-t. SR or RB is just JDM style right now. Not really the best if you consider you going have to upgrade and rebuild all the stuff if you want to run 300+ HP anyways. Just me 2cent.
Who saids you need to rebuild an SR or Rb25det to get 300+ hp? Having driven a couple of KA24DETs/Sr20dets and owning an Rb25det, the Rb25 put the other two motors to shame (a lil exaggerated ) The response and smoothness of an Rb25 is just amazing. But for the hazzles, I would have stuck with the KA24DE and turbo it . And no---SR and Rb is not the "JDM style", its just a matter of preferences. Some like motors that are turboed from the factory and some like straight six with turbos.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:37 AM   #10
C-four

C-four is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd say more bang for the buck - Ka with standalone a few mods ( like injectors, spark, ignition, and such and of course turbo preping) and turbo upgrade.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:14 PM   #11
driftyour40
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
driftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I voted s14sr, I think that it's the better choice for me. I'm looking for a smooth hi(er) revving linier engine with about 250hp something very well balanced. Maybe later I will up hp. For now I have a KA, and don't want to jump into an over powered car (over powered for me that is). I know this is going to sound strange to some of you, but I want an engine with less tq than hp.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:29 PM   #12
ghostuss
Zilvia FREAK!

you should go with go with the b or k serious then HAHA :ghey:

ButtonWillow, CA entire circuit drift/grip event by shock drifting spot for sale. Take over my spot for $150 only.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:41 PM   #13
ghostuss
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y3llowS14
Who saids you need to rebuild an SR or Rb25det to get 300+ hp? Having driven a couple of KA24DETs/Sr20dets and owning an Rb25det, the Rb25 put the other two motors to shame (a lil exaggerated ) The response and smoothness of an Rb25 is just amazing. But for the hazzles, I would have stuck with the KA24DE and turbo it . And no---SR and Rb is not the "JDM style", its just a matter of preferences. Some like motors that are turboed from the factory and some like straight six with turbos.
You don't have to rebuild to get that power. But You should rebuild it to get it bullet proof. Even a stock Ka can handle 400+ hp, but I doubt it will last if you drift/touge with the car, so that power is not really "useful" power. You got this choices if you want big power that is actually safe. KA rebuild / the SR rebuild / RB with a fat price tag on parts and install. Of course, KA rebuild is the cheapest for the best reliability, + if you get a ref ticket you are much easier to deal with. You can just unbolt the turbo parts. Anyways like I said, just my 2 pennies.

Old 11-25-2004, 01:09 PM   #14
chigga311
Leaky Injector

chigga311 is an unknown quantity at this point
Actually this Poll should be between the Sr and the RB20DET
There both the same displacement
Personally i would say its personal taste but i chose the RB20DET
The RB20DET front clip is cheaper than buying a motorset of a SR
Stock for stock they have the same power but the power band on the RB is wider
The RB25DET is in another class compared to the SR
Old 01-06-2005, 11:07 PM   #15
Var
Post Whore!

Var is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Var
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightwalker
You can't drift on a 4 cylinder either, it's too week! Skyline power all the way! .

hahaha and that's why it's the sr is the most common motor in drifting.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:19 PM   #16
nlzmo400r
Zilvia FREAK!

nlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to nlzmo400r
^ i think that was sarcasm. Anyway, for big power, the RB is definitely the way to go, however you pay to play,and therefore it is more expensive. I think for the money, the KA-t is the only way to go. Use mostly (if not all) usdm parts (i nkow that may not sond too 'cool') if you break stuff. All u need is injectors, SAFCII, the usual mani/dp/wg/bov/turbo and an i/c and you only have to push about 8psi and you're netting around 230whp with more tq than you'd need. They have awesome power bands when turbo'd as opposed to SRs. And to whoever said stroke the SR to 2.2, that runs no less than like 7k. So thats quite a bit of money, especially considering you're still less displacement than you started with

[email protected] - gt32 .6bar
Old 05-10-2005, 12:08 PM   #17
Silverbullet
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (2)
Silverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Silverbullet
Everyone's got SR. IMO they are over rated (I have one).

KA-T has higher displacment, so if i were to start my car over i would defently go withthe Ka-T. It's some what cheaper too. If i had the deep pockets, RB25 is the way to go. Ironblock inline 6... common now.
Go back to whatever Honda forum you came from.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:55 PM   #18
ghostuss
Zilvia FREAK!

Go with the Boostdesign rebuilt KA engine. Or rebuild one urself at a local shop. Won't run you more than 3g. Now turbo it for another 2-3g. Go standalone and tune it for another 1-2g. For around 6-8g you got a reliable engine that can run 400-500hp all day. Compare that to a SR swap that would easily run you 4-5g with all the replacement parts and not been all that reliable and only lay down 200-250hp. If you want more power say 300+ hp you got to replace injector, turbo, intercooler, get tuning devise. And if you want even more 400-500, then you need head work, gasket, etc. That easily gets to above 8g without a fully built motor from the bottom end up.

" All engines are shit if you don't rebuild them."

Enough said.

Old 05-13-2005, 09:40 PM   #19
revat619
Retired General

Trader Rating: (7)
revat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
why must we continue to have these SAME threads over and over...

bottom line is, its all personal preferrence and what your goals for the car are. There's pros and cons for ka's, sr's, and rb's. There is no, i repeat, THERE IS NO engine that is necessarily "better" than the other. For goodness sake....
Instagram: @rjsladerade
Old 05-14-2005, 02:14 PM   #20
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostuss
you don't know much about RB's do you? You do not even have to rebuild a RB25 to get to over 300 hp( not to mention the fact the engine is good for 500hp on stock internals) with bolt ons. I.E. Greddy intake manifold, Q45 throttle body, FMIC and a SAFC , dyno tune it and I gurantee you will squeeze just over 300 HP at 9lbs of boost on stock internals. No reliability issues.

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
Old 05-15-2005, 12:35 AM   #21
ghostuss
Zilvia FREAK!

That I mean mostly SR. RB I know handles 400+ hp without having to open the engine.

Closed Thread