Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-11-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
sherlockhomeboy
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
sherlockhomeboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
j30 rear axle seal/plate popped off. HELP

Hey sports,
So I drove my car the other day and pretty much just drove it down my neighborhood, and while doing so I heard a popping noise, in which shortly after I heard a piece blow out from the back of the car and went back to pick it up. After inspecting everything I found out it was the gold plate/seal thing in my driverside rear j30 axle. I also noticed that either due to it exploding out, that 3 of the 5 axle bolts where missing, either that or the bolts managed to come out on their own. Which is weird because the car hasn't really moved in the past 7 months, and when I installed these axles about 2 years ago all bolts where torqued down. I just don't see why or how it would happen now.

I've been lurking around online to see if they sell the plate/seal thing and I have been unsuccessful. Mine is warped but Im pretty sure I could spank it back in shape, however I don't know if it would be safe to just place it back in. Or would I need to replace the axle? Has anyone had the same issue? Any input would be great.

In the pics above, the gold plate/seal thing is what popped off of mine. And by chance does anyone know the actual name for it? haha

Here is a pic of what I first saw when I inspected the car, after the plate managed to pop out. Before I finished unbolting the only 2 bolts intact to the axle/diff. Anal Butters everywhere.

All I want to know is if it would be safe to try to reshape the piece and put it in, or should I just get another axle, or does anyone sell just the plate/seal thing.

Thanks!!!
sherlockhomeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2013, 08:28 PM   #2
ocn
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
ocn is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i dont even have one of those plates on my drivers side, so theres pretty much no grease. been fine an drifted on an dd'd for over 2yrs now. i loc tited the bolts tho

.. im sure youll be fine
ocn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:37 PM   #3
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
There's a ball cage assembly back there! I don't know if the balls would come out if that plate is removed, but if they do you'll probably have an open diff peg leg effect going on, essentially rendering the vlsd useless.

Vote: fix the plate or place something between the axle flange and output shaft flange, and check the grease!

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:23 AM   #4
marks14
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
marks14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
There's also a spring, and cup looking thing that goes in there. I dont think that popping out would overcome the 5 bolts on your axle, the bolts probably came loose. I'm not sure if the gold plate, spring, and seat that goes agingst the middle of the three rollers from a spare 240 axle would work, but you could try that.
marks14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:21 AM   #5
hOngsterr
Bandwagon.

Trader Rating: (73)
hOngsterr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Send a message via AIM to hOngsterr
just get another axle rather than searching for a plate.
OCD isn't so bad just means you'll spend more money then most people, but you'll have a quality car not a POS put together with POS parts.
hOngsterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #6
cotbu
Post Whore!

cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by marks14 View Post
There's also a spring, and cup looking thing that goes in there. I dont think that popping out would overcome the 5 bolts on your axle, the bolts probably came loose. I'm not sure if the gold plate, spring, and seat that goes agingst the middle of the three rollers from a spare 240 axle would work, but you could try that.
You have too look at the system again, if the ball cage wasn't there the axle wouldn't even spin, maybe until the boot ripped apart. The ball cage tranfers the power to the axle. Not the 5bolt flanges themselves

Sent from a Highly Tuned SIII using Tapatalk HD

Old 06-12-2013, 07:39 PM   #7
marks14
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotbu View Post
You have too look at the system again, if the ball cage wasn't there the axle wouldn't even spin, maybe until the boot ripped apart. The ball cage tranfers the power to the axle. Not the 5bolt flanges themselves

Sent from a Highly Tuned SIII using Tapatalk HD
Yes, I was commenting on the part where op was wondering if the plate falling off caused the bolts to come loose. I may have been vague with my origional comment. And btw, Is there a ball cage in there? I actually took apart a j30 axle about two weeks ago and there was a sphere with about a 1" diameter in the center with three "wheels" around it that transferred the power from the inner hosing to the axle shaft. Similar to this: but there was a spring that was squeezed in between the "spider" and the gold plate.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:07 PM   #8
cotbu
Post Whore!

That's not the same place or the same axle, the 6 bolt axles have the spider assembly, at least all of the one I've seen have that spider gear at the differential side and wheel side. 5 bolt axles have the ball cage on the differential side and wheel side.

uploadfromtaptalk1371088840566.jpg
I just replace a cv boot, 2days ago r32 diff 5 bolt.
I get what you where saying now, lol

Sent from my Overclocked Debloated SIII

Old 06-13-2013, 01:02 AM   #9
iRONDONkey
Zilvia Junkie

iRONDONkey is on a distinguished road
is your car slammed?
iRONDONkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:00 AM   #10
lavipsi

lavipsi is an unknown quantity at this point
agree. dont even have one of those plates on my drivers side.thanks
lavipsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:09 PM   #11
marks14
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotbu View Post
That's not the same place or the same axle, the 6 bolt axles have the spider assembly, at least all of the one I've seen have that spider gear at the differential side and wheel side. 5 bolt axles have the ball cage on the differential side and wheel side.

Attachment 56195
I just replace a cv boot, 2days ago r32 diff 5 bolt.
I get what you where saying now, lol

Sent from my Overclocked Debloated SIII
Ahh I see, I didn't know that. I wonder why they would change from cage to spider.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #12
reccakun08
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
reccakun08 is a jewel in the roughreccakun08 is a jewel in the roughreccakun08 is a jewel in the roughreccakun08 is a jewel in the roughreccakun08 is a jewel in the roughreccakun08 is a jewel in the roughreccakun08 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
do they not sell remanufactored j30 axles?
reccakun08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:06 PM   #13
supercompact
Leaky Injector

supercompact is an unknown quantity at this point
Back from the dead! Did anybody ever find these sold separately? I was just putting my axles in my car and somehow lost one of these.
supercompact is offline   Reply With Quote