Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-12-2011, 10:18 PM   #31
Boostedkouki
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Boostedkouki is making a name for him/her selfBoostedkouki is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Boostedkouki
So im assuming people who run the 6MT never do upgrades there SR? I want to know how much power they can handle?
Boostedkouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2011, 06:57 PM   #32
bowlspray

Trader Rating: (0)
bowlspray is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
This is an excellent write up. I have a couple 6 speeds and I joined the forum to add one thing. In my S14 (not sure about S13 chassis) I can install the transmission separately from the engine. I need to disconnect all the intercooler plumbing and hoses and move the wire running along the top of the firewall. Doing those things allows the engine to tilt back enough to remove the tranny. It is a squeeze though.
bowlspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:36 PM   #33
sidewaysil80
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
sidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
found this while searching for the 6spd crossmember ala-carte:

http://www.nismo.co.jp/en/products/c...ilvia_spec.pdf

it contains all the part numbers for essentially anything 6spd related on the 180sx/silvia.

ALSO, be advised the throwout bearing is NOT the same between 5spd and 6spd. i don't recall off the top of my head but one is of smaller diameter compared to the other.
sidewaysil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:50 AM   #34
ST(I)mpreza
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
ST(I)mpreza is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
what an excellent and thorough write up, thanx man. Zilvia needs more of these!
ST(I)mpreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:50 PM   #35
quadzilla

quadzilla is an unknown quantity at this point
Great info here guys. Im just curious why do you have to use the s15 flywheel when fitting the 6 speed to a non s15 sr20det?

I can understand the flywheel is thicker. Is the input shat on the 6 speed not long enough to work with the s14 flywheel?
quadzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:46 PM   #36
3v1Ls14
Leaky Injector

3v1Ls14 is an unknown quantity at this point
has anybody put speedo drives in these? I have the nismo cross reinforced box which had provisions on the main shaft for a speedo drive, ie had the two grooves and hole for a steel ball with the rear housing having a removable bung over the vss hole.

i did a little tinkering myself..

i put a drive gear on the main shaft using an rb25 auto speedo drive gear. it is 2mm smaller in internal diameter. but very carefully i was able to bore it out enough just before the gear became too thin. it was also to wide to fit in the space provided. so i ground it down on a bench grinder and tidied it all up.

i will be using a c34 vss and i am hoping that it will do the trick. if not i will have to find myself a s14 vss.

have heard of people running s15 abs computer etc etc but too much of a hassle for me and i already took my abs out anyhow
3v1Ls14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:28 AM   #37
logedog

logedog is an unknown quantity at this point
big power

i have the s15 engine and trans and i am planning to make in the neighborhood of 550 to 600 hp max is there anything i can do to strengthen the tranny without spending $10500
logedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:09 PM   #38
3v1Ls14
Leaky Injector

The 6 speed gearbox uses same yoke as an RB auto box if anybody didnt realise this
Old 03-27-2012, 09:57 PM   #39
winter
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
winter is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Great thread. I had one in my non turbo S15 SR car and I never had to replace it. I beat the hell out of my S13 drifting as slow as I could, and the tranny never gave me shit. Considering about doing the 6spd MT in my S13 SR setup , but I have an FC..so it's complicated like a Facebook relationship status.
winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:21 PM   #40
Silvia352
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
Silvia352 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadzilla View Post
Great info here guys. Im just curious why do you have to use the s15 flywheel when fitting the 6 speed to a non s15 sr20det?

I can understand the flywheel is thicker. Is the input shat on the 6 speed not long enough to work with the s14 flywheel?

Shot in the dark, but I want to say it is bc both the flywheel and bell housings overall diameter are larger and the matching flywheel is needed for trans, flywheel and starter to align.
Silvia352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:16 PM   #41
3v1Ls14
Leaky Injector

6 speed uses dual mass flywheel, needs it as stated above different diameter bellhousings etc
Old 04-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #42
garageafterlyfe

garageafterlyfe is an unknown quantity at this point
hello from chicago, i have a kinda silly question so please dont kill me,lol can the drive shaft from the 5mt s14 fit the 6mt from a s15? i have a s14 blktop with a 5mt and blew 5th gear and when i put it in reverse the trans wont go back to nuetral when i want to get out from reverse unless i drive it in rev, for about 10ft or so then it pops out on its own? so i just got a 6mt and now the driveshaft doesnt fit?so what should i do? im kinda lost here,anyone in chicago have a yoke i can buy for 6mt? lol hit me back.thanks and this wright up is SSOOO informative! thank you so much. [email protected]
garageafterlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:24 AM   #43
3v1Ls14
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by garageafterlyfe View Post
hello from chicago, i have a kinda silly question so please dont kill me,lol can the drive shaft from the 5mt s14 fit the 6mt from a s15? i have a s14 blktop with a 5mt and blew 5th gear and when i put it in reverse the trans wont go back to nuetral when i want to get out from reverse unless i drive it in rev, for about 10ft or so then it pops out on its own? so i just got a 6mt and now the driveshaft doesnt fit?so what should i do? im kinda lost here,anyone in chicago have a yoke i can buy for 6mt? lol hit me back.thanks and this wright up is SSOOO informative! thank you so much. [email protected]
You can use an auto drive shaft. I dont know if it is the same as a SR auto. But in my 6 speed i actually used a factory auto drive shaft from an RB R32 skyline.

Basically the 6 speed yoke is just an auto yoke. everybody says u need a custom one blah blah blah. But no u dont. auto has same yoke.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:56 AM   #44
garageafterlyfe

garageafterlyfe is an unknown quantity at this point
hello again, hey 3v1ls14 thanks for the reply. but i still have a problem, i cant find any skyline parts locally and would have to order from somewhere online,so what other options do i have for a driveshaft yoke for the 6mt? can any other yoke fit from other us spec nissans? i've been hitting the junkyards for about 3 days now and no luck. i thought a ka yoke would fit but none available what would be best for my trans/yoke combo? or do i need to have a custom yoke and d-shaft made? im stuck!! lol any one else care to share as well please, thanks very much. oh btw, pics to come soon, i have a 1977 corolla wagon(te38) with s14 sr20det and ae86 gts diff. so hopefully can take her out soon, thanks again forum.
garageafterlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:44 PM   #45
3v1Ls14
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by garageafterlyfe View Post
what would be best for my trans/yoke combo? Or do i need to have a custom yoke and d-shaft made? .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3v1ls14
everybody says u need a custom one blah blah blah. But no u dont. Auto has same yoke
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3v1ls14
you can use an auto drive shaft
any nissan rwd silvia skyline etc auto drive shaft yoke fits the 6 speed!
Old 04-08-2012, 07:44 AM   #46
marcs13r32

marcs13r32 is an unknown quantity at this point
will a 5 speed from a KA fit on a s15 motor?????!?!?!?!?!
marcs13r32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:21 PM   #47
racinjayson

racinjayson is an unknown quantity at this point
This maybe a silly question, but do you think that there is a possibility of removing the bell housing to machine off the extra thickness and run an s14 flywheel? Or since that might misalign the starter, take the bell housing and section an inch out of it at the base which would pull the tranny closer without messing with the starter aliment. I think I'm going to try this and get back to this thread to report my findings because a 17lbs flywheel is just unacceptable when with the s14 setup you can have a 9.5lbs flywheel.

Last edited by racinjayson; 04-27-2012 at 02:58 PM..
racinjayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #48
richmond82
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (30)
richmond82 has a spectacular aura aboutrichmond82 has a spectacular aura aboutrichmond82 has a spectacular aura aboutrichmond82 has a spectacular aura aboutrichmond82 has a spectacular aura aboutrichmond82 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 30 reviews
Great info thank you
richmond82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:46 PM   #49
xpertsnowcarver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (44)
xpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by racinjayson View Post
This maybe a silly question, but do you think that there is a possibility of removing the bell housing to machine off the extra thickness and run an s14 flywheel? Or since that might misalign the starter, take the bell housing and section an inch out of it at the base which would pull the tranny closer without messing with the starter aliment. I think I'm going to try this and get back to this thread to report my findings because a 17lbs flywheel is just unacceptable when with the s14 setup you can have a 9.5lbs flywheel.
I would not recommend this. The transmission casing is made of cast aluminum, and you may weaken the integrity of the casting, which may lead to cracking.

My YouTube Channel
xpertsnowcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:12 PM   #50
slideways240
Leaky Injector

slideways240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to slideways240
Quote:
Originally Posted by racinjayson View Post
An easier solution would be to use something like the Exedy hyper single. The included flywheel is not dual mass and extremely light comparatively. Also I can second the other S14 owner. Removal of the tranny alone is doable in an S14 chassis, it's a pain though.
slideways240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:37 AM   #51
3v1Ls14
Leaky Injector

its taking a box out of a car while still in place. it is what it is. not usually very fun to do and you will more than likely have a little less space than you'd like, but you can do it if you feel like getting it done.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:06 PM   #52
Silvia352
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
Silvia352 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
No, the distance needed to clear a dual mass flywheel is much larger, you can find aftermarket 6MT flywheels that are the proper distance.

The distance you would have to cut the housing down would surpass the alignment holes, not to mention its extremely unsafe idea in general.
Silvia352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:49 AM   #53
richmond82
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (30)
richmond82 has a spectacular aura aboutrichmond82 has a spectacular aura aboutrichmond82 has a spectacular aura aboutrichmond82 has a spectacular aura aboutrichmond82 has a spectacular aura aboutrichmond82 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 30 reviews
thank you for this thread !

Drake: 95 Swapped S15SR Z32 Swapped TT 1991Vert
richmond82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:46 PM   #54
s14fbs
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
s14fbs is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s14fbs
so i figured this would be the best place to ask

i got a 6 speed swap and is came with this was told its a nismo flywheel its very light

thinking its the Autech Flywheel

anybody can confirm this and maybe have more info on it as of it value
i searched for a little and could not find much on it

Last edited by s14fbs; 01-19-2013 at 06:30 PM..
s14fbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:21 PM   #55
stockasfuhs14

stockasfuhs14 is an unknown quantity at this point
where could i possibly get a rebuild kit for a 6 speed?
stockasfuhs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #56
oni jake
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
oni jake is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Did you blow up gears or are you looking for synchros? If you blew up gears, the cheapest option is to find a replacement trans or go 5-speed. I'm unsure where you would get a rebuild kit for synchros, I've always assumed they are only sold in Japan and would probably cost too much anyways.
oni jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:28 PM   #57
stockasfuhs14

Quote:
Originally Posted by oni jake View Post
Did you blow up gears or are you looking for synchros? If you blew up gears, the cheapest option is to find a replacement trans or go 5-speed. I'm unsure where you would get a rebuild kit for synchros, I've always assumed they are only sold in Japan and would probably cost too much anyways.
Your post did not answer my question in any way.. Not looking for gears, looking for a rebuild kit(seals, syncros etc)
Old 02-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #58
oni jake
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
oni jake is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockasfuhs14 View Post
Your post did not answer my question in any way.. Not looking for gears, looking for a rebuild kit(seals, syncros etc)
Sorry man, wasn't trying to help you or anything. I've looked for the same thing a while ago, and with little information on the 6-speed I couldn't find where to go. Previous post was kinda hinting that you're on a lost cause. If rebuild kits are only sold in Japan, (which I think they are) then you have to find a seller, convert yen, pay shipping, rebuild at a shop. In all, it'll cost less than a 5-speed swap. Makes no sense to do all of this work on a "weak" transmission, but that's a whole other case.

GL on finding info, post it here if you do.
oni jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:25 PM   #59
stockasfuhs14

Quote:
Originally Posted by oni jake View Post
Sorry man, wasn't trying to help you or anything. I've looked for the same thing a while ago, and with little information on the 6-speed I couldn't find where to go. Previous post was kinda hinting that you're on a lost cause. If rebuild kits are only sold in Japan, (which I think they are) then you have to find a seller, convert yen, pay shipping, rebuild at a shop. In all, it'll cost less than a 5-speed swap. Makes no sense to do all of this work on a "weak" transmission, but that's a whole other case.

GL on finding info, post it here if you do.
Did you read this thread?
Old 02-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #60
ThatS13Guy
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
ThatS13Guy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
great info!! wish there were more threads like this