Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 09-11-2020, 07:36 PM   #1
nwg916

Trader Rating: (0)
nwg916 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s14 a/c condenser in s13?

Does anybody know if an s14 ac condenser will fit into an s13 without any modification? I converted my ac system to r134a and feel like the performance sucks with the stock condenser and want to switch to the parallel flow s14 condenser. Any info on this would be appreciated.
nwg916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2020, 09:11 AM   #2
S14rebuild
BANNED

Trader Rating: (8)
S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
No the fitting sizes are diffrent, the lines wont connect...

R123a will never cool like r12

What are ur gauge pressure readings? Cabin temperature/ outdoor air temps?
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 02:39 PM   #3
nwg916

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14rebuild View Post
No the fitting sizes are diffrent, the lines wont connect...

R123a will never cool like r12

What are ur gauge pressure readings? Cabin temperature/ outdoor air temps?
Yeah from what i seen as well i would need the s14 lines. But other than that I dont see why it wouldnt work. The measurements are both 13x24 for s13 and s14 condensers. All of my pressures are fine nothing abnormal and the reason i wanna switch is because the older style stock s13 condensers dont cool r134 very well. Im also having issues with the air getting warm when the car comes to a stop. The parallel flow s14 one was made for 134a which is why i want to switch.
Old 09-12-2020, 07:24 PM   #4
S14rebuild
BANNED

S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
What are u running for cooling fans for rad/condensor?
Old 09-12-2020, 09:11 PM   #5
nwg916

Quote:
What are u running for cooling fans for rad/condensor?
Stock fan clutch, stock electric condenser fan. I previously had on dual electric altima fans which made the actual temperature of the car extremely cool but the ac performance was the same. Still would get warmer in stop and go. I should mention also when I charged the system I charged it with the exact amount of refrigerant using a scale so it cant be low.
Old 09-13-2020, 12:03 PM   #6
inopsey
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
inopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwg916 View Post
Stock fan clutch, stock electric condenser fan. I previously had on dual electric altima fans which made the actual temperature of the car extremely cool but the ac performance was the same. Still would get warmer in stop and go. I should mention also when I charged the system I charged it with the exact amount of refrigerant using a scale so it cant be low.
if the s14 condenser has a different flow design the internal size will be different as well. if you charge ac based on weight, your required freon amount will be different than either a s13 or s14 system if you try to mash the 2 systems together. save yourself the headache and the large possibility that your ac will run worse than it does now and leave it alone.

edit
forgot the useful part.

you will get further cooling by doing a good recharge ie. change out the dryer, pull a vacuum for as long as you can (6+hrs) to remove all water etc. flush the lines, and ensure you have proper r134 pressures (you should be using a r134 sensor with the conversion?
inopsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 05:20 PM   #7
nwg916

Quote:
Originally Posted by inopsey View Post
if the s14 condenser has a different flow design the internal size will be different as well. if you charge ac based on weight, your required freon amount will be different than either a s13 or s14 system if you try to mash the 2 systems together. save yourself the headache and the large possibility that your ac will run worse than it does now and leave it alone.

edit
forgot the useful part.

you will get further cooling by doing a good recharge ie. change out the dryer, pull a vacuum for as long as you can (6+hrs) to remove all water etc. flush the lines, and ensure you have proper r134 pressures (you should be using a r134 sensor with the conversion?
s13 and s14 systems take almost the same exact amount of refrigerant according to the fsm's. s13 take 1.8 - 2.0 pounds of r12. Converted to r134a that would be 1.55 lbs of refrigerant. s14's take 1.32 - 1.54 lbs of r134a. I have just recently flushed and replaced every single component in my system besides a new compressor and a new condenser and the pressure switch because the compressor I had worked fine and you can't find new condensers any where now. Would the pressure switch cause issues when idling. It shouldn't right? Its just supposed to switch the compressor off if the system gets too high or too low. All of my pressures are normal. The only issue i'm having with the system is it getting warm when idling or at a stop which is because of the design of the stock s13 condenser. I dont think swapping the condensers would be too big of a headache honestly just cant seem to find anyone who has done it to see how difficult it was.
Old 09-13-2020, 05:43 PM   #8
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Quote:
s13 and s14 systems take almost the same exact amount of refrigerant according to the fsm's. s13 take 1.8 - 2.0 pounds of r12. Converted to r134a that would be 1.55 lbs of refrigerant. s14's take 1.32 - 1.54 lbs of r134a. I have just recently flushed and replaced every single component in my system besides a new compressor and a new condenser and the pressure switch because the compressor I had worked fine and you can't find new condensers any where now. Would the pressure switch cause issues when idling. It shouldn't right? Its just supposed to switch the compressor off if the system gets too high or too low. All of my pressures are normal. The only issue i'm having with the system is it getting warm when idling or at a stop which is because of the design of the stock s13 condenser. I dont think swapping the condensers would be too big of a headache honestly just cant seem to find anyone who has done it to see how difficult it was.
People are stupid and scared. Do it.
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 06:28 PM   #9
nwg916

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalmoron View Post
People are stupid and scared. Do it.
I mean I appreciate the insight from everyone, just can't seem to find anyone who has done this yet. Everybody just rips their ac out lmao. Where I live this summer it was up to 110 degrees so its needed here unless you wanna sweat your ass off. I'm currently trying to source the parts, have a couple people with the condensers so i would just need the lines and i could test fit it and go from there.
Old 09-13-2020, 07:03 PM   #10
S14rebuild
BANNED

If it fits then there is no issue.

What are ur high and low readings at idle/stand still?
Old 09-13-2020, 07:13 PM   #11
nwg916

Quote:
If it fits then there is no issue.

What are ur high and low readings at idle/stand still?
It all depends on a day where its 105 out the pressures are usually around 40-50 low side and 250-300 high side. When its 90 degrees out pressures are usually about 25-35 low side and high side is 150-225.
Old 09-14-2020, 05:22 AM   #12
S14rebuild
BANNED

that should be blowing cold inside reguardless....

Any chance ur compressor cutting off while u come to a stop for a few seconds, then comen back on?
Old 09-14-2020, 06:33 AM   #13
nwg916

Quote:
that should be blowing cold inside reguardless....

Any chance ur compressor cutting off while u come to a stop for a few seconds, then comen back on?
That's why i'm at where i'm at. Everything checks out, everything functions as it should which is why i'm thinking the condenser just isn't efficient with r134a. It is a know issue with serpentine style condensers which is what the stock s13 condenser is. They work great with r12 but not 134a. There is no issues with compressor cut-outs or anything. The problem is only when idling or stopping.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:18 AM   #14
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Quote:
That's why i'm at where i'm at. Everything checks out, everything functions as it should which is why i'm thinking the condenser just isn't efficient with r134a. It is a know issue with serpentine style condensers which is what the stock s13 condenser is. They work great with r12 but not 134a. There is no issues with compressor cut-outs or anything. The problem is only when idling or stopping.
This is common/the rule with conversion systems, IME. Never messed with 240 AC, but I would assume the same. When they're stable, not leaking, good pressures, functioning properly, they just don't cool at an idle.

I'm interested to see your lines/fittings.
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:34 AM   #15
nwg916

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalmoron View Post
This is common/the rule with conversion systems, IME. Never messed with 240 AC, but I would assume the same. When they're stable, not leaking, good pressures, functioning properly, they just don't cool at an idle.

I'm interested to see your lines/fittings.
I 100% agree. Man if only they still sold new condensers or an alternative parallel condenser for s13 I would have bought one instantly. Just not enough people utilizing ac anymore so people have stopped making the ac components I don't even think rock auto sells the compressor anymore. I have a couple people with s14 condensers so we'll see if i can get one of those and then get the lines. If anybody has s14 ac lines I will buy them! Just pm me... I've been trying to find these locally but nobody seems to have anything....
Old 09-14-2020, 09:31 AM   #16
inopsey
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
inopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
The problem is only when idling or stopping.

are you using a full shroud with the stock fan? if its only at idle your not removing the latent heat from the ac system which is impacting your ac performance. can you feel air being drawn across the condenser? do you have a FMIC on the car? improving your air flow across the condenser will fix this issue (provided everything else is fine from the conversion) of poor cooling at idle (assuming this issue is only at idle)
inopsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:37 AM   #17
nwg916

Quote:
Originally Posted by inopsey View Post
are you using a full shroud with the stock fan? if its only at idle your not removing the latent heat from the ac system which is impacting your ac performance. can you feel air being drawn across the condenser? do you have a FMIC on the car? improving your air flow across the condenser will fix this issue (provided everything else is fine from the conversion) of poor cooling at idle (assuming this issue is only at idle)
Everything is all stock. Stock fan clutch shroud, stock condenser fan. I ran a dual altima fan setup on this car previously which were so powerful they would cool the actual car down like the temperature gauge would go below normal because the fans were working so well but the ac performance was still sub par at idle. At this point I am like 95% sure the condenser is at fault. Everything else works as it should. The stock condenser just doesn't work well when converted.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:45 AM   #18
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
What condenser do the 96-98 kouki 180sx use? They would have used the same refrigerant as the S14. Maybe find one of those.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:53 AM   #19
nwg916

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
What condenser do the 96-98 kouki 180sx use? They would have used the same refrigerant as the S14. Maybe find one of those.
I was just looking into that, they use different condensers at least different part numbers from what I have found after 95. They also seem to have r134a fittings in the pictures I have seen. 95 is the year r134a came out so I think those might be parallel flow condensers or they could be the same style I have no idea honestly. They have kind of a weird design and everything also goes back to one side back to the evaporator box but I'm sure it would work with some fabricated lines. If the s14 condenser doesn't work this would probably be the next best bet. Don't know how hard they are to find, it seems like there are more s14 condensers around.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:31 AM   #20
jb9

jb9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Have you considered HPI's s14 Radiator Rescue condenser?

I don't think they ever made them them for s13s but from what I remember when I went down this rabbit hole is that they designed the condenser to cool as well as oem while blocking less air to the radiator. No idea how a rhd s14 condenser would work with lhd s13 AC lines. I'd assume you could flip it around/upsidedown and maybe get some small conversion lines so the factory lhd s13 lines hook up and if you're already modifying an s14 condenser into an s13 that really doesn't seem like too much more work. And the condenser is probably actually going to be designed for r134a and it'll probably be alot easier to just buy a new one than having to find and probably ship a used kouki 180sx from japan and still deal with the rhd issues.

I found the measurements for the hi pressure/low pressure houses on rhd japan so you could measure yours and at least know if the fittings will physically fit

https://www.rhdjapan.com/hpi-radiato...5-4mm-s14.html
https://www.rhdjapan.com/hpi-radiato...0-1mm-s14.html
jb9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:48 AM   #21
nwg916

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb9 View Post
Have you considered HPI's s14 Radiator Rescue condenser?

I don't think they ever made them them for s13s but from what I remember when I went down this rabbit hole is that they designed the condenser to cool as well as oem while blocking less air to the radiator. No idea how a rhd s14 condenser would work with lhd s13 AC lines. I'd assume you could flip it around/upsidedown and maybe get some small conversion lines so the factory lhd s13 lines hook up and if you're already modifying an s14 condenser into an s13 that really doesn't seem like too much more work. And the condenser is probably actually going to be designed for r134a and it'll probably be alot easier to just buy a new one than having to find and probably ship a used kouki 180sx from japan and still deal with the rhd issues.

I found the measurements for the hi pressure/low pressure houses on rhd japan so you could measure yours and at least know if the fittings will physically fit

https://www.rhdjapan.com/hpi-radiato...5-4mm-s14.html
https://www.rhdjapan.com/hpi-radiato...0-1mm-s14.html
Hey, Appreciate the info! Yes I have looked into this, it doesn't seem any more difficult than throwing the 95 and up 180sx condenser in and fabricating some lines up but I feel like the s14 one is just more straight forward. The s14 system follows the same route as the s13 while the rhd stuff is on opposite sides. That HPI condenser looks like a parallel flow condenser for sure and would definitely work very well, if only they made them for lhd 240's... I'll leave some pics below so you can see the routing i'm talking about.... And I have found a couple s14 ac condensers already, 180sx condensers are probably super expensive and probably mostly in japan, not sure how the shipping would work with the coronavirus going on.

(s13)
https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/reso...2e39ff502c.png

(s14)
https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/reso...ed70e50015.png

(180sx)
https://image.nengun.com/catalogs/im...terisk_003.png

(s14 silvia rhd) this is probably how the routing would be with the hpi condenser
https://image.nengun.com/catalogs/im...terisk_001.png
Old 05-04-2022, 10:52 AM   #22
cole d
Zilvia Member

cole d is an unknown quantity at this point
What was the solution for this?
cole d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 12:44 PM   #23
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
US-spec S13s went to R134a in mid-1993. So the parts are rare but they exist. Mostly 1994-titled convertibles, but my 1993 hatch has factory R134a. In the factory parts diagrams they give the break as 5/1993. kennn and I found a complete S13 R134a setup in a junked car about 10 years ago. Look for the blue stickers on all the hoses and one on the firewall by the clutch master.

Condenser is part number 92110-53F10 (vs. -53F01 for R12). Aftermarket suppliers only list one replacement for both, so... the differences may only be stuff like the "R134a only" stickers on every part of my system and the fittings and o-rings.

S14 condensers are a different shape but the same general size, I've never had mine out of the car so I can't say as to how well a different one would fit.

Just checked on Rockauto and interestingly the only S13 KA24DE A/C compressor they sell now is for the '94. Suppliers photos look bang on identical to an S14 compressor so I couldn't tell you the differences. My factory compressor has the fittings in the same config as those two.
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 03:10 PM   #24
JrDarknes
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
JrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKADriver View Post
US-spec S13s went to R134a in mid-1993. So the parts are rare but they exist. Mostly 1994-titled convertibles, but my 1993 hatch has factory R134a. In the factory parts diagrams they give the break as 5/1993. kennn and I found a complete S13 R134a setup in a junked car about 10 years ago. Look for the blue stickers on all the hoses and one on the firewall by the clutch master.

Condenser is part number 92110-53F10 (vs. -53F01 for R12). Aftermarket suppliers only list one replacement for both, so... the differences may only be stuff like the "R134a only" stickers on every part of my system and the fittings and o-rings.
Yea my TK3 93 has R134a. To this day I regret throwing out my condenser when doing my RB swap. Luckily I kept everything else.

Really wish they still sold the S13 condensers new.

Does anyone know of any R134a Nissan/Infiniti condensers the S13 could maybe interchange with?

Last edited by JrDarknes; 05-04-2022 at 04:15 PM..
JrDarknes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 07:28 PM   #25
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
TK3 bros!

I would start by looking at S14 condensers, since you know the radiators are the same dimensions, and even though the lines bend differently you could likely use most of the S14 lines. The lines meet the evaporator differently though.

B14 condensers look like they might be a bit smaller. Could maybe work.

J30 and Q45 stuff look big enough for a house.
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 07:18 AM   #26
d_nice
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
d_nice is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Thanks guys for the input on this
d_nice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 08:59 AM   #27
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

jedi03 is on a distinguished road
have you cleaned the fins on the radiator/condensor? if they are good along with pressure then i would look at the pump, based on your symptoms...just had a 09 expedition which had no leaks, no issues anywhere else, I checked flow for the rest of the system in case the restrictor had failed, the compressor was no longer pushing anything through it...I have never had a compressor apart but it either uses rubber o-rings or other style to make compression as its a simple 2 piston pump inside
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 01:04 AM   #28
G_Low_Gr33n

G_Low_Gr33n is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Hey, Appreciate the info! Yes I have looked into this, it doesn't seem any more difficult than throwing the 95 and up 180sx condenser in and fabricating some lines up but I feel like the s14 one is just more straight forward. The s14 system follows the same route as the s13 while the rhd stuff is on opposite sides. That HPI condenser looks like a parallel flow condenser for sure and would definitely work very well, if only they made them for lhd 240's... I'll leave some pics below so you can see the routing i'm talking about.... And I have found a couple s14 ac condensers already, 180sx condensers are probably super expensive and probably mostly in japan, not sure how the shipping would work with the coronavirus going on.

(s13)
https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/reso...2e39ff502c.png

(s14)
https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/reso...ed70e50015.png

(180sx)
https://image.nengun.com/catalogs/im...terisk_003.png

(s14 silvia rhd) this is probably how the routing would be with the hpi condenser
https://image.nengun.com/catalogs/im...terisk_001.png
What was the final verdict here?
G_Low_Gr33n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 02:32 PM   #29
joe_nismo

joe_nismo is an unknown quantity at this point
the condenser doesn't fit natively, but it can be installed with with some effort. I recently did a LHD s14 AC into a LHD s13 with sr20. Here's my write up https://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=681093
joe_nismo is offline   Reply With Quote