Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-09-2020, 11:23 PM   #23191
mint40

Trader Rating: (0)
mint40 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I cant find any borg warner efr turbo threads on sr setups. Could someone help me im interested but not sure if the 6758 is still considered too small for revving it out
mint40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2020, 03:55 PM   #23192
vasponger

vasponger is on the path to ruinvasponger is on the path to ruin
Soo my radio said to hook this green wire to my ebrake. Radio is now working properly. My ebrake light is on constantly now though and Im pretty sure cause this spring switch guy wasnt hooked up right. Cant find a pic of what its supposed to look like. Also I pulled the ebrake wire off and on and the light still doesnt go away.

vasponger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 05:34 PM   #23193
DailySX

DailySX is an unknown quantity at this point
Did a smoke test looking for vacuum leaks by injecting smoke into the intake (after MAF). Lots of smoke was exiting through the BPT valve. Is this normal (engine is not running, of course).

I'm thinking it should "leak" due to no exhaust pressure sealing up the BPT valve. Am i wrong?
DailySX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 07:07 PM   #23194
NukeKS14
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
NukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasponger View Post
Soo my radio said to hook this green wire to my ebrake. Radio is now working properly. My ebrake light is on constantly now though and Im pretty sure cause this spring switch guy wasnt hooked up right. Cant find a pic of what its supposed to look like. Also I pulled the ebrake wire off and on and the light still doesnt go away.

So, the switch that turns it off is completely disconnected from the handbrake. Looks like it's broken maybe?

here's how it's supposed to look;

That wire from your radio (does it have a DVD player?) is to tell it when your car is parked. You don't HAVE to connect it to the ebrake. should just be able to ground it to the chassis to bypass it.
NukeKS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 07:14 PM   #23195
vasponger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NukeKS14 View Post
So, the switch that turns it off is completely disconnected from the handbrake. Looks like it's broken maybe?

Here, I found a replacement for you on ebay.

That wire from your radio (does it have a DVD player?) is to tell it when your car is parked. You don't HAVE to connect it to the ebrake. should just be able to ground it to the chassis to bypass it.
It does have a dvd player but I only needed to connect it to clear the bluetooth memory since the restore settings menus were not accessible without hooking up the wire. Soo at least thats working now.

The switch is good still I think, I just wasnt paying attention to when I took it off. And when the light stayed on I thought I put it on wrong.
I tried to put the brake up and down with the wire touching and off and the light still stayed on.

Thank god its only 4 screws to rip this thing off and on
Old 05-10-2020, 09:04 PM   #23196
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
BiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BiG MiKE86
Small Questions Thread (SEARCH FIRST! Use this instead of making NEW threads)

Does anyone know where I can find pigtails for these s13 corners? Anything from another car?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2020, 04:33 AM   #23197
NukeKS14
Zilvia Member

NukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG MiKE86 View Post
Does anyone know where I can find pigtails for these s13 corners?
https://www.wiringspecialties.com/2p...eatured&page=4

I'd start here. They have a ton of jdm connectors.
Old 05-11-2020, 04:56 AM   #23198
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

BiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really nice
Quote:
https://www.wiringspecialties.com/2p...eatured&page=4

I'd start here. They have a ton of jdm connectors.

That was the first place I went and I?m not seeing anything that matches. Thanks though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-11-2020, 10:37 AM   #23199
NukeKS14
Zilvia Member

https://www.z1motorsports.com/front-...13-p-9597.html

There's one of them
Old 05-11-2020, 10:46 AM   #23200
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

Quote:

Thanks - found that one. I mainly need the other connector. Can?t find that thing for the life of me

Old 05-11-2020, 12:29 PM   #23201
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Thanks - found that one. I mainly need the other connector. Can?t find that thing for the life of me

I think it's this one. There's a grey and a reddish 2 pin connector that's fairly common. The red one has the key slot on the other side though.

https://www.wiringspecialties.com/connectors1.html
LoSt180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 04:11 PM   #23202
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoSt180 View Post
I think it's this one. There's a grey and a reddish 2 pin connector that's fairly common. The red one has the key slot on the other side though.

I think you?re right! I?m about to take a plunge and grab some connectors in the name of science. Worst case I got a few bucks in useless connectors.

Thanks for the help guys

Also I?m going to order a set of these as well for the other 2 pin

https://www.wiringspecialties.com/canesaswco.html

Old 05-11-2020, 05:30 PM   #23203
vasponger

Quote:

That pic was exactly what I needed. The black piece wasnt going through the 2nd opening, the metal piece on the brake wasnt pushing the switch far enough, and the wire wasnt screwed into the black piece the right direction. That was a dumpster fire on my part.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:44 PM   #23204
jgbaker008

jgbaker008 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cluster lights, head lights, and tail lights flickering

So I was working on my fuel pump (97 s14 240sx) and prior to the work, I removed the negative terminal on the battery since I was dealing with electrical connections. After completing my work and reconnecting the negative battery terminal, all the cluster lights, head lights and tail lights started flickering. At first the flickering was constant but it evidentually died down to only when I opened/closed any door. I can start my engine and drive the car no problem. I'm clueless when it comes to electrical and wouldn't be surprised if I blew a fuse. Can someone provide some guidance/information on how yo fix this. Thanks.

P.S. I was not having any battery or alternator problems prior to removing and reconnected the negative terminal.
jgbaker008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 10:45 PM   #23205
jgbaker008

So I was working on my fuel pump (97 s14 240sx) and prior to the work, I removed the negative terminal on the battery since I was dealing with electrical connections. After completing my work and reconnecting the negative battery terminal, all the cluster lights, head lights and tail lights started flickering. At first the flickering was constant but it evidentually died down to only when I opened/closed any door. I can start my engine and drive the car no problem. I'm clueless when it comes to electrical and wouldn't be surprised if I blew a fuse. Can someone provide some guidance/information on how yo fix this. Thanks.

P.S. I was not having any battery or alternator problems prior to removing and reconnected the negative terminal.
Old 05-12-2020, 07:29 AM   #23206
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbaker008 View Post

This is a general guess and doesn't come from a back-of-my-hand knowledge of 240 wiring.

If you didn't just happen to develop a switch problem or stickyness at the same time, you might have leaned across something on the lights, like a plug or ground, while working in the trunk.
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 03:27 PM   #23207
jgbaker008

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalmoron View Post
This is a general guess and doesn't come from a back-of-my-hand knowledge of 240 wiring.

If you didn't just happen to develop a switch problem or stickyness at the same time, you might have leaned across something on the lights, like a plug or ground, while working in the trunk.
I figured it out. There's an after market alarm system that was installed in 98 (according to the quality control sticker) that went bad after I removed and reinstalled the negative terminal. Makes perfect sense because every alarm component started going off except the horn because its not working atm.
Old 05-14-2020, 02:33 PM   #23208
Yad
Leaky Injector

Yad is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello guys does anyone know shops that fix digital speedometers and hud? I tried the soldering iron test but didnt work. I was wondering if any of you guys know a specialty shop that can fix.my issue. Thanks in advance
Yad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 02:07 PM   #23209
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Does anyone know where I can find pigtails for these s13 corners? Anything from another car?

For anyone interested the connectors ordered from Wiring Specialties work!!!

https://www.wiringspecialties.com/canesaswco.html

Perfect fit and brand new connectors. Its a shame to see folks on ebay selling a pair of beat up pigtails with 1" of wire for $30-$40! Get yourself these and youll be set.
Old 05-17-2020, 01:14 AM   #23210
leftfootbrake

leftfootbrake is a jewel in the roughleftfootbrake is a jewel in the roughleftfootbrake is a jewel in the roughleftfootbrake is a jewel in the roughleftfootbrake is a jewel in the roughleftfootbrake is a jewel in the roughleftfootbrake is a jewel in the rough
I would appreciate it if someone could tell me how to mount the hood release cable in the interior, it should have 2 bolts, but in my interior there is only a single hole, am I missing something from my car?
leftfootbrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 11:16 PM   #23211
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

kingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfection
After swapping heater cores I seemed to have missed a plug putting things back together and now have no AC. Anyone know where this guy needs plugged in?

S13 plug behind glovebox https://imgur.com/gallery/vjoqL0Z

Edit

Figured it out. Plugs into the little box on the front of the cooling unit. I don't know how I missed it.

Last edited by kingkilburn; 05-18-2020 at 12:01 AM..
kingkilburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 06:52 AM   #23212
Parag0n

Parag0n is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi all,

I'm pretty new to car stuff. I have a S13 that was passed down to me. It's in relatively good condition but needs tires, brakes, rotors, calipers, and all new fluids

Brake pads and rotors are arriving today, but I've run into a couple issues with the calipers:

1 - Almost every single caliper bolt has broken during removal. They've been super hard to remove. Any advice to make this a bit easier?
2 - The bigger easier here is that so far I've had at least 1 caliper bracket bolt break off inside the right hand rear knuckle. How screwed am I?

From what I've looked up I've figured that I need to remove the entire knuckle and try to extract the bolt, or replace the entire knuckle.

Does this sound pretty spot on?

Thanks!
Parag0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 11:34 AM   #23213
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parag0n View Post
Hi all,

I'm pretty new to car stuff. I have a S13 that was passed down to me. It's in relatively good condition but needs tires, brakes, rotors, calipers, and all new fluids

Brake pads and rotors are arriving today, but I've run into a couple issues with the calipers:

1 - Almost every single caliper bolt has broken during removal. They've been super hard to remove. Any advice to make this a bit easier?
2 - The bigger easier here is that so far I've had at least 1 caliper bracket bolt break off inside the right hand rear knuckle. How screwed am I?

From what I've looked up I've figured that I need to remove the entire knuckle and try to extract the bolt, or replace the entire knuckle.

Does this sound pretty spot on?

Thanks!
Is it very rusty?

If the heads are okay but they all break, someone might have used crazy locktite or something - heat from a torch will loosen threadlocker, but overdoing it will destroy the heat treating in your fasteners. Even really overdoing it with the blue stuff can be a problem, especially if the metal was prepped well. (that said, the "permanent/requires heat" thing is pretty much bullshit, at least for the red permatex, which is the brand and color of choice where I live - a dab will do ya, and will also come off when you want it to)

Are the threads that came out covered in colored stuff? Red/yellow/blue/grey chunky stuff? If so, apply heat before doing the rest, and before extracting.

Generally red is meant to be pretty tough, yellow/blue are medium, and green is very weak (or sleeve locker, which is basically unremovable)

Caliper bracket bolts should be installed with a dab of locktite - the pin/guide bolts should NOT.

Sounds like you've got the right idea - you'll probably have to take the knuckle off, drill out the middle of the bolt, and use an extractor to get out whatever's left.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:30 PM   #23214
Parag0n

Parag0n is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Is it very rusty?

Sounds like you've got the right idea - you'll probably have to take the knuckle off, drill out the middle of the bolt, and use an extractor to get out whatever's left.
Yeah, it's pretty rusty. It's sat in my garage for about 6 years and before that it sat in a driveway for another 5ish years. Besides driving from it's previous location to my house (6 years ago) it hasn't really moved.

At this point I'm starting to consider what other maintenance items I should be looking at while I'm at it. Ball joints? Struts? Getting a bit more complicated and expensive but I guess I'll be learning a lot....

None of the broken bolts have had any threadlock on them that I've noticed - just a lot of rust. I've picked up some PB Blaster and was planning on working at removing the knuckle today.
Parag0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 05:37 PM   #23215
DailySX

How bad is it to drive the car around while having high idle? It currently 1k-1.1k after engine has been warmed up. KA24DE stock and freshly replaced TPS (0.45V).
Old 05-18-2020, 08:01 PM   #23216
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailySX View Post
How bad is it to drive the car around while having high idle? It currently 1k-1.1k after engine has been warmed up. KA24DE stock and freshly replaced TPS (0.45V).
Totally mechanically harmless.

Other than knowing your shit's not right.

If you rebuilt it, fix the iacv already.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:42 PM   #23217
DailySX

Quote:
Totally mechanically harmless.

Other than knowing your shit's not right.

If you rebuilt it, fix the iacv already.
Copy that. Cleaning out the iacv is next on my list in the next day or two. Thanks!
Old 05-19-2020, 07:32 PM   #23218
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
If I wanted to make new brake lines for the engine bay, what size tube would I buy?
LoSt180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:13 PM   #23219
Notch_Javi

Notch_Javi has a little shameless behavior in the past
s14 Oem Kouki Wing

Hi, Im looking to buy a oem s14 kouki wing from a silvia , 240sx ,or 200sx as long as it is oem and in good condtition.
Notch_Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:50 PM   #23220
NukeKS14
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notch_Javi View Post
Hi, Im looking to buy a oem s14 kouki wing from a silvia , 240sx ,or 200sx as long as it is oem and in good condtition.
https://zilvia.net/f/forumdisplay.php?f=14