Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-13-2005, 06:35 PM   #61
240trainee
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 240trainee
Dang Man, I'm keeping this one in my mental archives, lol. These stock brakes can only get cheaper as more and more Evo/ STi's get totaled/ modded. Awesomeness!!!

Team Pterodactyl
SHARK ATTACK!!!
LookoutDrift
240trainee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2005, 08:13 PM   #62
The Hamsterball
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
The Hamsterball is making a name for him/her selfThe Hamsterball is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
sucks for us 4-luggers
Old 11-14-2005, 10:57 AM   #63
drew935
Zilvia Addict

drew935 is making a name for him/her selfdrew935 is making a name for him/her selfdrew935 is making a name for him/her self
Jeremy, you're funny hopping your suby off the ground. I wasn't for sure if you were going to post it on here since you did on iclub. So now you have me thinking off putting these on now...
TIA

Last edited by drew935; 12-06-2005 at 07:31 PM..
drew935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 11:52 AM   #64
irax
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to irax
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hamsterball
sucks for us 4-luggers
not really, you can use the sentra spec v rotors or have the rotors redrilled..
irax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 12:17 PM   #65
FRpilot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
FRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krinkov
EVO and STIs both use 'drum in disc' E-brakes like the 300ZX, and the EVO usese the same size inner drum as the 300ZX so it looks like the most practical E-brake would be to just use the 300ZX ones with the EVO rotors.
why dont you use the evo/sti drum setup? is it because it is rare and harder to come by than the z32 drum setup? oh yea, are evo/sti brembo calipers significantly better than z32 calipers? of course they are "BREMBO" but to me they are both 4pot fronts/2pot rear calipers. are the pistons bigger in the brembos or what? do you have information about the size of the pistons and any other notes about the brembo vs z32 calipers?

sorry im just curious and i should be studying for a midterm right now. dunno why im on zilvia.. im stressed and i dont feel like searching because i should be studying but this brake issue keeps coming into my mind while im studying!! shit im screwed for this midterm. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
remember, people on this forum are STUPID. use your common sense.

Last edited by FRpilot; 11-14-2005 at 12:34 PM..
FRpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 12:32 PM   #66
Grandpa
Zilvia Member

Grandpa is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRpilot
why dont you use the evo/sti drum setup? is it because it is rare and harder to come by than the z32 drum setup?

Z32 is a direct bolt on, why not use it?
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 07:25 PM   #67
Krinkov
Leaky Injector

Krinkov will become famous soon enoughKrinkov will become famous soon enoughKrinkov will become famous soon enoughKrinkov will become famous soon enoughKrinkov will become famous soon enough
too many projects...

but finally a bit more progress, got a bit more done tonite, just have to tap 2 holes and they're ready to go on, these ones are ugly for sure, machined ones will be nicer. though you can make these in about 2 hours with just a small 1/3 or 1/2 hp bench top drill press like this.

my messy ass workbench

one more inside hole still missing here, the two inner ones are the ones to be tapped.
Krinkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 07:34 PM   #68
Krinkov
Leaky Injector

Krinkov will become famous soon enoughKrinkov will become famous soon enoughKrinkov will become famous soon enoughKrinkov will become famous soon enoughKrinkov will become famous soon enough
heres what they will look like bolted up with the bracket, I made a proto out of acrylic last week, everything lined up perfect

and dont anyone gimme any crap for the caliper being on upside down
Old 12-06-2005, 07:38 PM   #69
wootwoot
Post Whore!

wootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to wootwoot
What are you stupid? An acrylic adapter isnt going to work!!! The fricking brake caliper is up side down too! UGGGGGGGG.

jk... I like your progress. How much have you been able to find to pick up them there Brembos huh?
Old 12-06-2005, 07:54 PM   #70
HyperTek
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
did you get the ebrake setup yet? you could do this and be totally trick.
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.p...628#post842628
Old 12-06-2005, 07:59 PM   #71
Krinkov
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootwoot
What are you stupid? An acrylic adapter isnt going to work!!! The fricking brake caliper is up side down too! UGGGGGGGG.

jk... I like your progress. How much have you been able to find to pick up them there Brembos huh?
lo, yeah I first thought I would post, 'Hey heres my new acrylic adaperts!'

check here first
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4
theres at least one guy selling front and rears for $1200, Ive seen them for as low as $1K for full sets or 6-700 for fronts

these guys import alot of Suby parts, usually have Brembos
http://www.iaperformance.com/
Old 12-06-2005, 08:01 PM   #72
Krinkov
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperTek
did you get the ebrake setup yet? you could do this and be totally trick.
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.p...628#post842628
whoa, that is pretty trick, think if I was drifting I would probably do that, not bad!
Old 12-07-2005, 08:49 PM   #73
Krinkov
Leaky Injector

Okay done....mostly

finally tried my new FN01R-Cs on too, used to think my car was low enough, now it looks goofy high! Guess I'll have to drop it down another inch

Old 12-07-2005, 09:25 PM   #74
wootwoot
Post Whore!

wootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to wootwoot
Took care of all the brake gap, looks plain mean!
Old 12-07-2005, 09:26 PM   #75
mr_240sx
Post Whore!

mr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to mr_240sx Send a message via MSN to mr_240sx
Quote:
Okay done....mostly

finally tried my new FN01R-Cs on too, used to think my car was low enough, now it looks goofy high! Guess I'll have to drop it down another inch
i would say drop atleast 1.5 inch if not 2 inches!
mr_240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 10:34 PM   #76
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

Trader Rating: (10)
NemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to NemeGuero
When you're all finished, I'd like a build cost tally.

Also, will you be "sharing" where you can find these sets for that cheap price?
Old 12-08-2005, 12:28 AM   #77
Krinkov
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemeGuero
When you're all finished, I'd like a build cost tally.

Also, will you be "sharing" where you can find these sets for that cheap price?
yeah I was able to source the front/rear brembos for $1K ($700 fronts, $300 rears) Picked up a full set of turnable EVO rotors for $100, they can be turned quite a few times before they reach min thickness, they are already 2mm thicker than the STI rotors anyways so they should be turned if your going to run them with STI pads. Brake lines for the STI calipers plug right in front and rear and they usually come with them when you buy them used.

It should be noted though that these calipers have been getting cheaper lately and will continue to as more idiots ball up STI across the country and around the world. I posted a link a couple posts above to the NASIOC classifieds, search there to start, the Vendors classifieds have a few shops that import containers full of parts from japan every month.

As for the brackets, pretty damn cheap if you di it yourself. They are cut from standard 1.25"X.5" mild steel bar stock that any machine shop will have in 10 foot legnths, I got a couple of 7" pieces cut and had them notch it in the middle to clear the hub for a total of $35. I'll post up the diagram when Im all finished
Old 12-08-2005, 09:39 AM   #78
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

Trader Rating: (10)
NemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to NemeGuero
I vote this goes into the archives when its all finished.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:13 PM   #79
nlzmo400r
Zilvia FREAK!

nlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to nlzmo400r
well if the evo rotors must be used, then couldnt the evo brembo calipers be used as well? As far as I knew, they were the same product, just different paint for the different manufacturers. Any for sure answer on this?

[email protected] - gt32 .6bar
nlzmo400r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 07:40 PM   #80
Krinkov
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlzmo400r
well if the evo rotors must be used, then couldnt the evo brembo calipers be used as well? As far as I knew, they were the same product, just different paint for the different manufacturers. Any for sure answer on this?
Yeah this post is getting a bit long but the infos all in here
You can use the front EVO calipers but the rear ones have a different bolt spacing than the 240SX and STI, so if all your going for are fronts than EVO calipers/rotors are fine, if you want them all around then you need STIs in the rear, so the color match will be off, thats all.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:41 PM   #81
HATchTRICK
Zilvia Member

HATchTRICK is an unknown quantity at this point
IM gettig confused reading all these posts..

What front caliper/rotor combo did you use?
what rear rotor/caliper combo?
Stock 240 brake lines?

Im getting confused with all these post switching back and forth.
HATchTRICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 07:50 PM   #82
SoSideways
Post Whore!

SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by HATchTRICK
IM gettig confused reading all these posts..

What front caliper/rotor combo did you use?
what rear rotor/caliper combo?
Stock 240 brake lines?

Im getting confused with all these post switching back and forth.
Front: STi Brembo calipers / Evo rotors
Rear: STi Brembo calipers / Evo rotors
Brake lines: Brembo brake lines for STi Brembos
SoSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 07:53 PM   #83
Krinkov
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSideways
Front: STi Brembo calipers / Evo rotors
Rear: STi Brembo calipers / Evo rotors
Brake lines: Brembo brake lines for STi Brembos
thanks, but to add to that EVO calipers will work in the front but the rears dont bolt up, only the STI calipers bolt up in the rear
Old 12-08-2005, 08:22 PM   #84
FRpilot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
FRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
so the rear doesnt need a custom bracket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
remember, people on this forum are STUPID. use your common sense.
FRpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 08:35 PM   #85
Krinkov
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRpilot
so the rear doesnt need a custom bracket?
if you use the STI rears it just needs to be shimmed out 3mm to get the offset right, I was able to find the perfect size washer for this but Im not sure where exactly they come from but if I find a source for them I'll let you guys know.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:27 PM   #86
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (29)
Jonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jonnie Fraz
nice job, very detailed on your swap. I might go with cold rolled bar stock next time you do this, it is a little stronger, but the main thing is that it is more true than hot rolled. Looks better too...lol

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com
Jonnie Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 03:53 AM   #87
CaoBoY
Zilvia Addict

CaoBoY is making a name for him/her selfCaoBoY is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
thanks, but to add to that EVO calipers will work in the front but the rears dont bolt up, only the STI calipers bolt up in the rear
so you are saying that the evo front calipers are bolt on? or do you still need to make that bracket, in which case you might as well just go with matching brakes all around. correct?
CaoBoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 04:49 AM   #88
andrewmp6
Zilvia Junkie

andrewmp6 can only hope to improve
i just wanna know will a line lock work good for a parking brake
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 08:23 AM   #89
Krinkov
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaoBoY
so you are saying that the evo front calipers are bolt on? or do you still need to make that bracket, in which case you might as well just go with matching brakes all around. correct?
no, the EVO front caliper will work with the bracket Im making.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:25 AM   #90
Krinkov
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmp6
i just wanna know will a line lock work good for a parking brake
a line lock will work as a parking brake with anything, but I will be using the 300ZX parking brake hardware becasue they are the same size as the EVOs.