Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-20-2007, 02:40 PM   #61
misfitsfreak81
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
misfitsfreak81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
SR

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitsfreak81 View Post
so has anyone found a way to keep the shaft from turning when trying to torque the top nut to 55ftlbs? if so what did you do? please let us all know.

mike
so i will ask once again, how have you been keeping the shaft from turning when adjusting/removing the top nut. and please dont say you grabbed the shaft with vise grips. thanks.

mike
misfitsfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2007, 09:48 AM   #62
cgguy
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
cgguy is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitsfreak81 View Post
so i will ask once again, how have you been keeping the shaft from turning when adjusting/removing the top nut. and please dont say you grabbed the shaft with vise grips. thanks.

mike

Impact wrench. Just dont go crazy on it and it'll be fine.
cgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 07:13 AM   #63
logik23
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
logik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Ok, a breakthrough!!

After sending an unanswered e-mail a couple of weeks ago to Stance, I sent another a few days ago. Today I got a response stating that if I call them with the dealer info, they will gladly send me a new set of upper pillowball mounts under warranty.Finally, some closure!

So I'll call them later today when they open and I'll keep this updated until I receive my mounts.

They seem to have finally received some decent pillowballs, so you guys who are still under warranty should e-mail Stance to get your replacements!
Old 08-22-2007, 12:34 PM   #64
240on430
Zilvia Member

240on430 has a little shameless behavior in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by logik23 View Post
Ok, a breakthrough!!

After sending an unanswered e-mail a couple of weeks ago to Stance, I sent another a few days ago. Today I got a response stating that if I call them with the dealer info, they will gladly send me a new set of upper pillowball mounts under warranty.Finally, some closure!

So I'll call them later today when they open and I'll keep this updated until I receive my mounts.

They seem to have finally received some decent pillowballs, so you guys who are still under warranty should e-mail Stance to get your replacements!
just called. you sure they're not sending you the same version of the mounts?rep said there aren't any replacements they are sending out.
240on430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 07:20 PM   #65
ewuzh
Zilvia Member

ewuzh is a glorious beacon of lightewuzh is a glorious beacon of lightewuzh is a glorious beacon of lightewuzh is a glorious beacon of lightewuzh is a glorious beacon of lightewuzh is a glorious beacon of lightewuzh is a glorious beacon of lightewuzh is a glorious beacon of lightewuzh is a glorious beacon of lightewuzh is a glorious beacon of lightewuzh is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Ok, a breakthrough!!

Let us know if that fixes the problem. I just installed the GR+ yesterday and I am getting the same spring binding noise.
ewuzh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 08:48 PM   #66
logik23
Zilvia Junkie

logik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of light
Well they told me they are sending me new top mounts for the front. I don't think they are sending me the entire pillowball, just the top part of it. Anyways, hopefully it'll fix the problem. I'm suppose to get them in 3-4 days, so let us all pray. loll or not...
Old 08-23-2007, 05:45 PM   #67
240on430
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Well they told me they are sending me new top mounts for the front. I don't think they are sending me the entire pillowball, just the top part of it. Anyways, hopefully it'll fix the problem. I'm suppose to get them in 3-4 days, so let us all pray. loll or not...
I also emailed them and they are sending me front upper mount, which should be the entire pillowball mounts.ill be back w/an update when I get them in.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:21 PM   #68
D1GP
Zilvia Junkie

D1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240on430 View Post
I also emailed them and they are sending me front upper mount, which should be the entire pillowball mounts.ill be back w/an update when I get them in.
did u email tf or stance?
D1GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:26 PM   #69
240on430
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1GP View Post
did u email tf or stance?
...stance. i bought them at a local store.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:53 PM   #70
ewuzh
Zilvia Member

ewuzh is a glorious beacon of lightewuzh is a glorious beacon of lightewuzh is a glorious beacon of lightewuzh is a glorious beacon of lightewuzh is a glorious beacon of lightewuzh is a glorious beacon of lightewuzh is a glorious beacon of lightewuzh is a glorious beacon of lightewuzh is a glorious beacon of lightewuzh is a glorious beacon of lightewuzh is a glorious beacon of light
Called Stance today. They said they're waiting on the few of you guys to report back with results of the new pillowball/mounts before they do anything for me. Hurry and install them. I need an alignment lol
ewuzh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:35 PM   #71
2iv0 sx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Sounds like they need to have a recall already.

Hopefully it's the upper mounts, I want to order my GR+ soon.
2iv0 sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 04:03 PM   #72
chuonthis
Zilvia Member

chuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the rough
Emailed them on Friday about the replacement mounts. Got an email today saying the same thing that ewuzh said. They are waiting for results from the few people that were sent replacements and if the problem is fixed, they'd send me replacement mounts. So yeah, hurry and report back people!
chuonthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 04:11 PM   #73
ilovecoupes
Zilvia Member

ilovecoupes is a splendid one to beholdilovecoupes is a splendid one to beholdilovecoupes is a splendid one to beholdilovecoupes is a splendid one to beholdilovecoupes is a splendid one to beholdilovecoupes is a splendid one to beholdilovecoupes is a splendid one to beholdilovecoupes is a splendid one to beholdilovecoupes is a splendid one to beholdilovecoupes is a splendid one to beholdilovecoupes is a splendid one to behold
Sorry this is kinda off topic but, on my front coilovers the dampening knob stoped clicking. So I can spin my dampening knob all day without is stoping, and I don't know what dampening setting I'm at.

anyone else have this problem?
ilovecoupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 04:22 PM   #74
240on430
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovecoupes View Post
Sorry this is kinda off topic but, on my front coilovers the dampening knob stoped clicking. So I can spin my dampening knob all day without is stoping, and I don't know what dampening setting I'm at.

anyone else have this problem?
how long have you had them? although i haven't had an adjusting problem, i think that should be fixed under the 1yr warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewuzh View Post
Called Stance today. They said they're waiting on the few of you guys to report back with results of the new pillowball/mounts before they do anything for me. Hurry and install them. I need an alignment lol
I'm as anxious about the new mounts as anyone else. I'm installing the replacments the same day I get them in. hopefully the problem is fixed. they don't have/know someone with an s13?

Last edited by 240on430; 08-27-2007 at 06:08 PM..
Old 08-28-2007, 08:08 AM   #75
ilovecoupes
Zilvia Member

ilovecoupes is a splendid one to beholdilovecoupes is a splendid one to beholdilovecoupes is a splendid one to beholdilovecoupes is a splendid one to beholdilovecoupes is a splendid one to beholdilovecoupes is a splendid one to beholdilovecoupes is a splendid one to beholdilovecoupes is a splendid one to beholdilovecoupes is a splendid one to beholdilovecoupes is a splendid one to beholdilovecoupes is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240on430
how long have you had them? although i haven't had an adjusting problem, i think that should be fixed under the 1yr warranty.
I've had them for about 6 months.
Threw all my billing information away, so it looks like I'm screwed on that idea
Old 08-28-2007, 09:42 AM   #76
240on430
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovecoupes View Post
I've had them for about 6 months.
Threw all my billing information away, so it looks like I'm screwed on that idea
have you had the noise a lot of us have within those 6 months?new shocks are about $100 each, which is not bad imo.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:21 AM   #77
ilovecoupes
Zilvia Member

Quote:
have you had the noise a lot of us have within those 6 months?new shocks are about $100 each, which is not bad imo.
ya, it started out really loud then just got quieter and quieter. I haven't drove my car for a while now, so i don't know if it completely went away. i also gave it a little more preload, like one or two more tuns.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:06 PM   #78
Munch
Zilvia Member

Munch is an unknown quantity at this point
Woah...didnt really expect to see this thread of mine explode like this.

Good (or actually bad) to know that its not just a few of us having this problem.

Im waiting to see how those new upper mounts theyre sending you guys works out. If they solve the problem, im gonna havta see if i can get them to send me a new pair too.

These past couple of months ive just been living with the noise, but of course, it still bugs me to no end.
Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 03:18 PM   #79
240on430
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch View Post
Woah...didnt really expect to see this thread of mine explode like this.

Good (or actually bad) to know that its not just a few of us having this problem.

Im waiting to see how those new upper mounts theyre sending you guys works out. If they solve the problem, im gonna havta see if i can get them to send me a new pair too.

These past couple of months ive just been living with the noise, but of course, it still bugs me to no end.
the nose started again for me...i enjoyed the few days of silent turning. lol

i can't stand the noise! if the new mounts don't work properly, i will return these for a different brand.

i will let you guys know whats up tomorrow!

EDIT: i couldn't stand the noise any longer, so i greased the top and bottom of the pillow ball spacer on the that goes around the thread under the camber plate(left side). I didn't grease the right because I already greased it about 5 days ago and the noise went away.

Last edited by 240on430; 08-28-2007 at 06:22 PM..
Old 08-28-2007, 07:34 PM   #80
igot86

igot86 has a little shameless behavior in the past
Thank god I did a search and found this thread. I been having the same noise problems like everyone here and I couldnt figure out what that noise was. When someone describe the noise as a door creeking, or low power steering noise while truning at low speeds. It sounds like the same problem I'm having. But I don't have stances. I got a set of megan tracks. Had them for more then a year. Will check my front suspension tommorow and keep you guys updated. Gonna grease the fcuk out of it. I can't stand the noise.
igot86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:49 PM   #81
super240sx7185
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (83)
super240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 83 reviews
wow shouldve got megan coilovers no noises at all and superb handling/ride quality. but hope u guys get this prob fixed
super240sx7185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 08:11 PM   #82
240on430
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by super240sx7185 View Post
wow shouldve got megan coilovers no noises at all and superb handling/ride quality. but hope u guys get this prob fixed
did you read the post above yours?
Old 08-28-2007, 08:20 PM   #83
D1GP
Zilvia Junkie

D1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
did you read the post above yours?
lol that is the first time ive heard about a noise with MR's though... unlike stance. keep us posted on the pillowballs.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:00 PM   #84
igot86

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1GP View Post
lol that is the first time ive heard about a noise with MR's though... unlike stance. keep us posted on the pillowballs.

Will do. Its funny I checked everything BUT the suspension. I was so sure it was my hub bearings that were bad. But they weren't. Checked the brake system they seem good, then thought it was my tension rod bushings so I replaced them with battle version rods. They needed to be replaced anyways due to cracked bushings.
I haven't read anywhere else that had people with megans have the same problem. Maybe I just got unlucky? Lol
Don't get me wrong these megan track coilovers serve its purpose. They're pretty good..for the price. And to super240sx7185 how long did you have yours.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:12 PM   #85
super240sx7185
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (83)
super240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 83 reviews
About 8 months now still just like new and i run them hard on the weekends too. I guess it just depends on road conditions,temp stuff like that but overall I'm very impressed by them for the price highly recommend .
super240sx7185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:04 PM   #86
igot86

Godamit!!! Greased that shit and it still makes the sound. So the springs AREN'T suppose to move while turning the wheel, pillow ball joint moves but is very stiff..someone clear this up becuase I'm about to throw this off a cliff
Old 08-29-2007, 10:25 PM   #87
D1GP
Zilvia Junkie

its funny because everytime i wash my car (and spray the shit out of the coils and my under carriage), the noise will go away for a bit. anyone else noticing that?
Old 08-29-2007, 11:15 PM   #88
240on430
Zilvia Member

...got the replacement mounts. they didn't send a new pillowball nut, just a plate. i see a couple differences...

studs are now flush with the plate and the camber plate is also a whole circle
http://i7.tinypic.com/4qp3whu.jpg
http://i4.tinypic.com/6h43p0p.jpg

I can easily flex, but not rotate, the plate around the ball joint easier than the old mounts that have been used for about 1 month. The steering is now lighter and I don't hear the springs going booooing!

here's a video showing the new plates being moved around easily...View My Video

Now, what I want to know is...who has the full cirlce camber plates and do they work ok? and who has the 2/3rds cirlce camber plates and do they work ok?
Old 08-29-2007, 11:41 PM   #89
igot86

To the original poster. Could you post up a video of your dilema.
And 240on230 did u install them on yet
Old 08-30-2007, 12:18 AM   #90
D1GP
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
...got the replacement mounts. they didn't send a new pillowball nut, just a plate. i see a couple differences...

studs are now flush with the plate and the camber plate is also a whole circle
http://i7.tinypic.com/4qp3whu.jpg
http://i4.tinypic.com/6h43p0p.jpg

I can easily flex, but not rotate, the plate around the ball joint easier than the old mounts that have been used for about 1 month. The steering is now lighter and I don't hear the springs going booooing!

here's a video showing the new plates being moved around easily...View My Video

Now, what I want to know is...who has the full cirlce camber plates and do they work ok? and who has the 2/3rds cirlce camber plates and do they work ok?
repped. those look a lot better, maybe with the lighter steering, the wheel will have an easier time returning to center coming out of a turn. i will check my camber plates tomorrow and report back.