Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:43 PM   #1
hvp014
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
hvp014 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
R32 GTR Rust to Riches

Hey all, been collecting photos of my 32 project for a while and decided to put them all together for your enjoyment and my wallet's torment.

Backstory, USAF stationed in Okinawa, got my first 32 in 2012 before they went too crazy in price.

It was a beautiful 89 Silver from mainland. Here are the photos the day I picked it up.

Got the car inspected and cleaned up, did a few repairs and got to enjoy the car with my buds.

Then one day I saw a TH1 Dark Blue sitting on the base for sale lot. The car was overpriced but I wanted the color. This would be the beginning of the end for me.

So I put the silver 32 up for sale and started looking online for my next 32. (Final photos of the silver 32)

Sold the silver 32 for 13k making a profit of 6k or so, thinking I was set up I bought a little more rough 1991 TH1 GTR. (Photos of the car in mainland)
Car was promised in running condition with little rust. Took the dealer at their word and dropped the cash.

The car arrived at the port a week or so later, me excited to drive my new car, started it up took a walk around and noticed jugs of water sitting in the passenger seat. Didn't think much of it until I noticed a pool of water rolling on the ground by the engine bay. So much for driving it home, got a flat bed and got it home...
hvp014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2016, 06:00 AM   #2
Bumpkin203
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
Bumpkin203 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Lets see some more info man, Ill be in Okinawa in the fall and hopefully will be picking up a R33 GTR.

Instagram @bankai_r32
Bumpkin203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:10 AM   #3
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Your logic makes no sense

You had what seemed to be a good chassis that was maintained well, Wanted a different color, so instead of just paying to have the car painted the color you wanted you sold it and bought a stock R32 in shittier condition?
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:46 AM   #4
hobbs
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (43)
hobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 43 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sileighty_85 View Post

You had what seemed to be a good chassis that was maintained well, Wanted a different color, so instead of just paying to have the car painted the color you wanted you sold it and bought a stock R32 in shittier condition?
Woah, what's with busting the guys balls on something that happened in the past? Not to mention that he explained that he got screwed by the seller.
hobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:40 PM   #5
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbs View Post
Woah, what's with busting the guys balls on something that happened in the past? Not to mention that he explained that he got screwed by the seller.
Not exactly trying to bust his balls. Just making sure I'm following correctly.

Kinda bad on him for taking the dealerships "word". 90% or those guys just want that cheddar and don't know shit about cars. They say its in good condition just because the engine "Runs" and the wheels haven't fallen off.
Either that or they do shitty body repairs to hide all the rust to where 1 year later the rust bubbles through.

That sucks but just saying that was weird that he sold a solid car just for a certain color.
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:08 PM   #6
hobbs
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (43)
hobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 43 reviews
Who cares? We've all made poor decisions with cars in the past, no need to rub sand in the wound.
hobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 07:45 AM   #7
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Damn Daniel.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:47 PM   #8
hvp014
Leaky Injector

Quote:

Thanks for the feedback, my money, my car. thanks!
Old 04-01-2016, 01:56 PM   #9
hvp014
Leaky Injector

Sorry for the super late reply, I never got notified my post got approved!

Anyway, the Blue 32 arrived and I got photos of it as is before I touched it.

Scored a set of LMGT1's off a buddy as well!

Took my cash I made off of the silver car and stocked up on parts for the blue one. Joys of pulling the plenum before even driving it.

New fuel/water lines

Recaro confetti buckets
Old 04-01-2016, 02:19 PM   #10
hvp014
Leaky Injector

Got it all back together with new rubber lines when disaster struck again...

The worst feeling...

Had a pin rust hole in the metal cross over line, ordered a new metal line and all back apart again.

The first drive was magical

And the first night home after she got plated and inspected.

Next parts started coming in.
YAJ score

OEM timing set

N1 Spats

Charge pipe kit

Ferrari F50 brake kit and Tein Coils

Car was finally coming together

Next was to clean up the bay some more, sent some parts off for powdercoating and paint the bay.

Finished result with the powdercoating and paint.

More parts still arriving. Rocket dancer flap!

Test fitted
Old 04-01-2016, 02:39 PM   #11
hvp014
Leaky Injector

So be this point the car was running well but turns out the "rust free" car wasn't so rust free. Next up body shop!

Dropped the car off (ugly wheels are to clear the BBK)

Got a call the next day saying its worse than they thought. So now add a full glass out job as well!

So why they had the car I was refinishing the LMGT's

New Stickers

New paint and surface the hubs to take out any rash

Waiting for new tire install

OEM parts coming in!
New emblems!

OEM body parts

As the car got closer to completion at the shop they asked which color I'd like. I wanted the TH1 color but something just a little different to set it off.
They sent 3 samples back.

OEM TH1

TH1+heavier flake

TH1+fuck ton of sparkle

I made my choice and they got closer to paint.

New door due to rust behind the mirror

All the rust removed

Exciting day!

Dropped the LMGT's back off a few days before the car was finished. First time outside in new paint.

Last edited by hvp014; 04-06-2016 at 08:16 AM.. Reason: Add two photos.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:21 PM   #12
Malik
Nissanaholic!

Malik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant future
looks good... keep us up to date
Malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:12 PM   #13
nixtr

nixtr is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbs View Post
Quote:
Not exactly trying to bust his balls. Just making sure I'm following correctly.

Kinda bad on him for taking the dealerships "word". 90% or those guys just want that cheddar and don't know shit about cars. They say its in good condition just because the engine "Runs" and the wheels haven't fallen off.
Either that or they do shitty body repairs to hide all the rust to where 1 year later the rust bubbles through.

That sucks but just saying that was weird that he sold a solid car just for a certain color.
Well, thanks to this honest person, who has experience , I now know what to look out(or rather, who not to trust anyone) for when when buying a japanese car, especially from certain areas, because she tries to spread the world across this forum. Sileighty was being rather polite to say busting his balls lol...

Did you get rid of the silver one for any other reasons? Seemed like better car.

Anyways, I feel like that shit wouldn't fly in America..? Anyone have experience???? cause I wouldn't know but this guy got rather fucked lol
nixtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:15 PM   #14
nixtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvp014 View Post
Thanks for the feedback, my money, my car. thanks!
Old 04-01-2016, 07:59 PM   #15
beems240sx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (10)
beems240sx has a brilliant futurebeems240sx has a brilliant futurebeems240sx has a brilliant futurebeems240sx has a brilliant futurebeems240sx has a brilliant futurebeems240sx has a brilliant futurebeems240sx has a brilliant futurebeems240sx has a brilliant futurebeems240sx has a brilliant futurebeems240sx has a brilliant futurebeems240sx has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Such a beautiful car! It's really coming together nicely
Old 04-01-2016, 09:30 PM   #16
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
I'm With The OP

I'd rather have a car in the corner I want then repaint. But the condition was something he could not help
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:46 AM   #17
hvp014
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixtr View Post
Did you get rid of the silver one for any other reasons? Seemed like better car.
Silver car was nice, had a few issues that I got sorted but nothing too bad. Just love the TH1 color.

The blue car was cheap, I expected issues and like I said earlier, I turned a good profit on the silver 32.
Old 04-02-2016, 12:47 AM   #18
hvp014
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by beems240sx View Post
Such a beautiful car! It's really coming together nicely
Thank you, I'll post more this weekend!
Old 04-02-2016, 02:25 AM   #19
rawgarage
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (75)
rawgarage is making a name for him/her selfrawgarage is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 75 reviews
Good shit my friend...
rawgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:11 AM   #20
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
SoundEfx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Keep the Skyline classy.

You live and learn right?
Hindsight is 20/20 because you ended up repainting the car which you could have done with the original.

In either case, you now have the car in the colour you want.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:37 AM   #21
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
It's not the same when the car was not originally the color you wanted
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 10:46 AM   #22
nixtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by future View Post
But the condition was something he could not help

He's getting it there though.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:32 AM   #23
BossHogg
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
BossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really nice
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Did you change an original TH1 car? Please tell me you went OEM color. Rare ass color that looks awesome imo. How much you want for those recaro's?
Old 04-02-2016, 05:57 PM   #24
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Looks like this build is heading in positive direction. Sucks about the rust, but at least you're getting it sorted.

Back for round two... 4 doors this time around...
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:03 PM   #25
hvp014
Leaky Injector

After about two months in the body shop they called and said she was ready for pick up!

Day of pickup

Back home, glossy!

With friends

Another issue arose a few weeks later when the shifter stopped working and I heard a click in the transfer case. The plastic shifter bushing decided it didn't want to live anymore and fell into the tcase.

Least it looked good on the tow truck

Got that fixed then my buddy wanted to do a photo shoot.

Even made it on JDM culture!
Old 04-03-2016, 07:23 AM   #26
BossHogg
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
BossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really nice
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Looks great man. If you want to sell those seats, please let me know. Would prefer the SR3 version but you have the SPJJ. They are not confetti just so you know, they are crayola.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:20 PM   #27
scottie
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
scottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Stunning! She is beautiful! Everything is tastefully done. Bravo good sir.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:32 PM   #28
koukimonst3r
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
koukimonst3r is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Looks great!

ig : koukimonst3r
koukimonst3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:47 AM   #29
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
very cool! super clean is best

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:56 PM   #30
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Love this. I know what you mean about color changes. Messes with my OCD.