Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 06-28-2018, 02:09 PM   #1
Jyttah
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Jyttah is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Pic heavy) Saving a 200SX S13

Hi. Im pretty new here, but i want to share my history and my build with you.

About a year ago, i bought a Nissan 200SX S13 that was taken totally apart. previously ive had 3 other S13s, so i saw this as a great project.

As it was taken apart, i could see all the rust it had and it made it easier for me to actually make the decision to buy it or not.
My mechanic also accepted the purchase as he was the one to fix all the rust and rebuild the engine.

As you can see, it requires a lot of love. But luckely, im going all in on this build. Ill do as much as i can myself, and get help from my friends.

Anyway. First thing i did was to remove the subframe so i could get it cleaned up and installed new bushings.

It had a lot of surfacerust. So i handed it over to a local company to get it cleaned and painted.

I was lucky that my boss agreed to have the car at my workplace for some time (I work as a warehouse supervisor, so i was able to find an unused corner where i could park the car)

As a lot of other people, i wanted to go for the TypeX bodykit, so i ordered a komplete set from JDMBodyshop in poland.

I also bought a set of Japan Racing JR7 17x8 ET35 as they look fantastic with the TypeX kit.

After a lot of looking around on the car i found more rust. so the best thing to do would be to cut it out and remove it. This means my front fenders have to go and the same with the rear ones.
This gave me and excuse to buy wider fenders.
I ended up with 30mm in the front and 50mm in the back

The subframe and arms came back from the local shop and have been blasted and powdercoated. I wanted to go for a bronze/copper color, but they didnt have any i liked. So i went for a BMW grey color with a bit of flakes in the clear coat.

Its hard to catch with a camera, but here you get the idea:

Poly-bushings installed and i could put it all back together

It looks so wrong that the whole car looks shity, but the subframe looks like new. This might be the new ratlook :P
Jyttah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2018, 10:42 AM   #2
Jyttah
Leaky Injector

I totally forgot i had this build thread. So lets make an update

As im going for a TypeX build. The only right thing to do is also to order the Kouki rear lights. Found these brand new in the states, so i made the purchase.

I also got a good deal on a Nardi steering wheel.

And because of the steering wheel, i would like to have nice and precise steering, so i went for a solid steering bushing.

When doing all of the suspensionparts, i wanted to have it all in the same simple colors. The subframe and arms in grey and the bushings in red. So i ordered a polyurethane bushing for the gearbox in red. But when it came, it was orange. Guess how dissapointed i was!

But at least the front subframe looks good

Anyway. The day i had to remove the car from my work was getting close. So i had to install as much in the car as possible. i took this opportunity to see if all the interiorpieces was included in my purchase.

Looks pretty complete to me

Anyway. a few days before i had to move the car, a good friend of mine came by to take a few pictures.

I was lucky that my mechanics had place for the car and all the parts. So we moved the car to his place, so he could start welding and fixing the engine.

all the smaller parts was loaded into a room with a bunch of shelves. This makes it so much easier to find what you need.

Because of the widebody kit from JDMbodyshop in Poland, i had to go with spacers to move the wheels out. So i ordered a set of 50mm and a set of 30mm. This might have been the stupidest thing ever. because Mr Genius here went for 5lug and Z32 brakes.
So i had to sell the wheels, the reinforced brakehose and the spacers. Big loss for me. But thats life when you dont plan ahead

A few more boxed showed up.

My friend started to look into the rust there was on the car and at the same time cut out the original fenders to make space for bigger wheels under the wide body.

Testfitted the overfenders. And DAMN! Its gonna be wide!

Also testfitted the 17x8 ET35 with 50mm spacers in the back. This is the result:

Old 08-09-2018, 10:42 AM   #3
Jyttah
Leaky Injector

I ran out of space. So heres the last few pictures i have for now.

My works neighbour makes airtools. So after i talked a bit with the CEO (who also loves cars) he came over with a small box filled with goodies. So now i can sodablast stuff. Very cool!

This is my first attempt to sodablast a set of Z32 front calipers for 30mm discs.

Some people tease me about the gearknob i want to use on the car. I dont know why though

So. i also wanted something else than the Kouki spoiler. So i ordered a roof spoiler and a 326 Power Wing from JDMbodyshop where the rest of the fibreglass is from. Unfortunally the 326 spoiler was in so bad condition when it arrived, i had to scrap it. The same with the overfenders as the fitment was so bad we could not get it to fit properly. So i found a set of OriginLabo 40mm for the front and 50mm for the back.

Last pic for now.
When doing a total rebuild of everything of the car, the only right thing to do is also to reset the odometer. So thats exactly what i did
Old 08-09-2018, 10:43 AM   #4
Jyttah
Leaky Injector

Double post :/

Last edited by Jyttah; 08-09-2018 at 11:52 AM..
Old 08-09-2018, 11:23 AM   #5
Sailor
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
Sailor is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Love the underbody color, great job so far.

That odometer reset tho
Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:00 PM   #6
Jyttah
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
Love the underbody color, great job so far.

That odometer reset tho
Thanks. The project started over a year ago, so right now im just uploading the short story of it all so i can get up till now
Old 08-09-2018, 12:20 PM   #7
Jyttah
Leaky Injector

I have more pictures ready.

These pictures was taken over det last 2 months, so we are almost up to speed.

I wanted the car to be as low as possible and still be able to drive around in my country. So coilovers and aircups is the perfect solution to drive low, and being able to raise the car over speedbumps if needed.

And by being low, the stock suspension adjustmenst are not enough. So i went all in and ordered a complete kit of adjustable arms from Driftworks.com

Absolutely lovely quality!

When i bought the car, i also got a box of brand new HSD coilovers. So why not put these to use?

With a balck Mishimoto intercooler and oil cooler, it was pretty obvious that i also needed black silicone hoses for the intercooler piping

A few weeks ago i had to pick up my painter so we could work on the car. I asked him if i should being some tools. Only thing he replied: If you are coming before 11, bring beer. So this was the only right way to bring him beer :P

Its Carlsberg red. If you can find it anywhere, try it! Its fantastic! (Yes, im from Denmark and Carlsberg is danish)

Anyway. My friend and i started to remove all of the sound deadening. What a fucking nightmare.

As i mentioned before, i had to scrap all of the widebody and ordered a set of originLabo.
Fitment looks great. I've just mounted it loose for the sake of the pictures

As i want the car to be a summer-car, i had to find the perfect exhaust-solution. I had a Japspeed V2 catback system laying around, but ive always hated the huge 4.5"muffler. Especially when the car would be really low, it would get cought on everything. So i had to find a solution. I wanted to find a dual exhaust just like the original one, but with better flow.

So after searching all over the internetz, i found a danish shop selling Xforce Varex. So ofc i ordered one right away. The company emailed me stating the delivery time would be 12 weeks! So i had to wait. But boy, it was worth it!

If you look closely, you can see my slave holding the muffler

Also received a spark plug cover for the CA18DET engine.

One thing that i forgot to mention earlier that i got all my paint sponsored. I just had to tell Autolakhandel.dk what paint i needed, and they'll provide it for me.
So after months of thought, i finally ordered the 3 lucky colors. One of them is just black for the enginebay and the interior. The other 2 i won't say just yet. But one is an original Nissan color, the other color is a Toyota color :P
Old 08-09-2018, 05:43 PM   #8
deolio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
deolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
why such narrow, high offset wheels? especially when you have overs
Old 08-09-2018, 11:10 PM   #9
Jyttah
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by deolio View Post
why such narrow, high offset wheels? especially when you have overs
I bought the wheels as the first thing after buying the car. So when i wanted to go for overfenders, i got spacers. Then i wanted to go for Z32 brakes, so i had to go for 5lug also. And then the wheels and spacers was sold. So right now i have a set of 18x8 ET33 wheels. But im going for a set of 18x10.5 as soon as i know the perfect offset.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:40 AM   #10
codyzsilvia
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
codyzsilvia is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Hey I saw you post that carbon cover in the CA18DET page on Facebook.... excited to see this build!
Old 08-10-2018, 05:53 AM   #11
Jyttah
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyzsilvia View Post
Hey I saw you post that carbon cover in the CA18DET page on Facebook.... excited to see this build!
Thanks. Im trying to keep both my facebookpage and instagram
You are more then welcome to follow them

http://facebook.com/Order42 and https://www.instagram.com/gogo_gojira/
Old 08-10-2018, 08:05 AM   #12
tuzzio
Post Whore!

tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
As much as i'm a stock body guy, awesome build. Attention to detail is there for sure.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:02 PM   #13
Sailor
Leaky Injector

Sailor is a well-known jackass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyttah View Post
So after searching all over the internetz, i found a danish shop selling Xforce Varex. So ofc i ordered one right away. The company emailed me stating the delivery time would be 12 weeks! So i had to wait. But boy, it was worth it!
Awesome looking exhaust, love the extra stealthiness of OEM+ looking muffler and tips (not to mention the electronic valve control ). 12 weeks is quite a long time to wait though! Builds coming along nicely, keep up the good work Jyttah
Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:54 PM   #14
The_Element_911

The_Element_911 has made poor choicesThe_Element_911 has made poor choicesThe_Element_911 has made poor choicesThe_Element_911 has made poor choicesThe_Element_911 has made poor choicesThe_Element_911 has made poor choices
Keep up the good work!! I can't wait longer for my S13 to arrive
Old 08-14-2018, 09:34 AM   #15
Jyttah
Leaky Injector

Thanks for the kind words. But i cannot take the credit. Most of this work is done by my friends. Its really good to have friends with skills like this. I only spend money and help where i can

Anyway, as this car wasnt born with A/C, i had to install it. This meant i have to find all the pieces. Not easy! hopefully im getting the condenser and filter this weekend!

I would love to get the digital climate control from a late model 180SX, but its really hard to find everything i need without paying an arm and 3 legs.

My friend told me last week that him and another buddy will do some metal work on the car. So had to come by and see how its going.
I picked up the carbon coil cover so i could see how it looked.

I approved

My friend tackled the front right side as its previously been hit, so the whole headlight bracket was bend. I ordered a new straight from Nissan here in Denmark so it could be replaced. But the previous owner did some "rustwork" where the battery used to be. This was not good enough for us, so it had to be redone.

End result of this peace looks something like this: It still needs the last finishing touches, but a LOT nicer than before.

The 2 guys do a tag team on the car. One is welding and the other is cutting out rust and making patches. Thats how you do progress

Inside the car there was more rust than expected. But im so happy it was found now, and not after it has been painted, installed sound deadening and undercoated it all.

But what looked like a small hole, suddenly grew a bit bigger :P

Thats it for now. Ill return when theres something news, like a complete Z32 brake swap or a painted enginebay

Take care and follow Order42 on Facebook
Old 09-19-2018, 06:54 AM   #16
Jyttah
Leaky Injector

Time flies and im to busy to actually do much work on the S13.
But im happy that my friend is slowly welding everything.

On top of that, i've almost collected everything for the AC.

And because of the Z32 front brakes, i had to go Z32 in the rear also. So ordered a pair of rear z32 calipers.
But as i still wanted a proper feel in the brakepedal, I ended up with a BM50 brake master cylinder.

In on the lookout for the perfect wheels. Its a bit problematic as im running Aircups. And i dont want to use spacers if possible.
Here you can see a 18X8,5" ET33 wheel. And its gonna hit the aircup when its under load. Its a pretty big problem if that happens

I was bored, so i ordered a GT2860 turbo from a local dealer. But i figured out that a 2871 was a better choice for me, so i returned it.

Thats if for now. But im planning a work-weekend with my painter and my mechanic. So hopefully we can start putting some paint down in the enginebay.
For more info, follow Order42 on Facebook
Old 09-19-2018, 08:26 AM   #17
deolio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
deolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
as far as finding wheels that fit goes, maybe check out this thread http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=129865

something like a 17x9 -5 up front and 18x10.5 +12 in the rear should fit great.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:02 PM   #18
Vwongjj

Vwongjj is a jewel in the roughVwongjj is a jewel in the roughVwongjj is a jewel in the roughVwongjj is a jewel in the roughVwongjj is a jewel in the roughVwongjj is a jewel in the roughVwongjj is a jewel in the rough
Beautiful work done so far!! Definitely following this thread as im gonna do the same soon!

Btw what gearbox are you planning to run on your CA?
Vwongjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:13 AM   #19
Jyttah
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by deolio View Post
as far as finding wheels that fit goes, maybe check out this thread http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=129865

something like a 17x9 -5 up front and 18x10.5 +12 in the rear should fit great.

Wow. Thats a huge thread. But i have some spacers in different sizes, so i can meassure it out myself. Them im sure its 100% correct. But im hoping to get 10.5 or 11.5" in the back and hopefully 9.5 in the front - and still have space for the aircups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vwongjj View Post
Beautiful work done so far!! Definitely following this thread as im gonna do the same soon!

Btw what gearbox are you planning to run on your CA?
Im just gonna run the original gearbox. As im not expecting to make high horsepower, or gonna race it. Then it should hold up nicely.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:33 PM   #20
Jyttah
Leaky Injector

I think its time for a small update.
The enginebay is 95% ready for paint.

I bought a small bundle of random parts for cheap. I only needed a engine harness, but i took it all.
There was some B450L injectors that should fit the CA18DET perfectly and a lot of other parts that i could sell and earn a bit of money back

On top of this, i had to order some parts from LDperformance. Say hello to Mr. Launch Control and his friend, Sir Boost controller

This weekend i went back to my friend so we could continue fixing the Nissan.
And ofc, i had to bring drinks

We cleaned up in the Nissan storage room, and i had to make it look nice

Everytime i see how wide the car is gonna be, im surprised.

Always stay baconated!

This picture gives me so much joy

Taking up all the space in the garage

Here you can see that a previous owner cut open the radiator support. And we really dont know why. But it doesnt matter, its getting replaced with a brand new one.

Again, there was a tag team going on. Always nice that people come to help saturday night.

Its hard to work 12 hours a day

This is the stuff we use for the enginebay. Sponsored by Autolakhandel.dk

Old 10-16-2018, 04:38 PM   #21
supersayianjim
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
supersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
kick ass thread!!!
supersayianjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:11 PM   #22
sXe240

sXe240 is an unknown quantity at this point
This build is just mind blowing. It's a shame there was so much rust but you really are fixing it up. I can't wait to see this car done.
sXe240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 06:31 AM   #23
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Looks good so far man! Nice to see someone taking the time to save a chassis.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 04:41 AM   #24
Jyttah
Leaky Injector

Thanks for the nice comments. It keeps me going :P

What you all propably havent noticed is that almost everything is recorded.
So far i have none less that 218gb of pure video and counting

One of the things i was missing for my Gopro, was a gimbal, so after an evening on eBay, i found this one:

It was cheap, but it works perfectly. I still need a gimbal for my Sony A6300. But that has to wait.

I also received 6 Vband clamps for the exhaust so i can remove every part independent.

I also received 5 squaremeters of 200g Carbonfiber so i can start playing around with that.
With the roll of carbonfiber, i also received a bunch of small samples of other colors.
These are really awesome!
Old 10-24-2018, 02:49 PM   #25
sXe240

Awesome definitely share all the footage you have (which I'm sure is a lot lol). The gold and blue carbon fiber looks awesome.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:12 AM   #26
Jyttah
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe240 View Post
Awesome definitely share all the footage you have (which I'm sure is a lot lol). The gold and blue carbon fiber looks awesome.
Im gonna share some of the footage when me and my "editing guy" have time to make a proper video

And i would say all of the carbon colors looks cool. Unfortunally only the black/original carbon fits my car with the paint its getting.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:15 PM   #27
sXe240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyttah View Post
Im gonna share some of the footage when me and my "editing guy" have time to make a proper video

And i would say all of the carbon colors looks cool. Unfortunally only the black/original carbon fits my car with the paint its getting.
Haha with how much footage you say you have that may the awhile! But I hear you. I'm really following your build so I can see how much it'll take take to restore my s14. I really don't have too much rust except some surface stuff on my front fenders. The subframe actually looks good I guess cause the car was garage kept most of it's life.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:16 AM   #28
Jyttah
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe240 View Post
Haha with how much footage you say you have that may the awhile! But I hear you. I'm really following your build so I can see how much it'll take take to restore my s14. I really don't have too much rust except some surface stuff on my front fenders. The subframe actually looks good I guess cause the car was garage kept most of it's life.
Thats so lucky. Here in Denmark youll be lucky if you can find a S13 or S14 for under 10.000 USD. And then its rusty as fuck. One in good condition costs almost twice the amount. And to import one is equally expensive because of our taxes on cars wich is one of the highest in the world. And the same reason almost everybody drives in small shittycars like VW up, Peugeot 107, Toyota Aygo and so on.

Anyway. A small update.
Besides the 5 squaremeteres of carbon fiber cloth, i also bought a single squremeter of cheaper cloth to test with.
As i only had some old intercoolerpiping, i desided to try and wrap these with the carbon fiber.
This is the first time i tried something like that, and it ended horrible. or, actually im not done yet. But i learned a lot of do's and dont's.

First of i painted the piping black as the carbonfiber cloth is a bit see-through.
Then i layed a layer of epoxy. This was the first mistake as the cloth was sliding around and made a lot of airbubles underneath.
I had to wait untill it get tacky and then put down the cloth. This took forever (over 5 hours) as its fairly cold in the warehouse where i did it.

I tried to make the connections on the backside so it wouldnt be vissible when they are installed. even though in not using these pipings.
Then i put down another layer of epoxy. And its still in a cold warehouse with around 10 degrees celsius.

Again. because of the cold, the epoxy wouldnt harden as fast as i would like it to, and then it would just run. So theres a lot of sanding to remove the runs.

And because its piping, and not something simple as a flat panel im carbonwrapping, i have to twist and turn it multiple times to get an even coat of epoxy. But again. Im learning by doing this

Here you can see the backside that will be hidden if these pipes would be installed:

It would be cut off and sanded down so it would look smooth.

And the mailman delivered some studs for the turbo and elbow.
They are 38mm M8 x 1.25 with locknuts. Even though im gonna go with Nordlock washers also.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:10 PM   #29
sXe240

Wow damn that is pricey over there haha. Even over here in the states the price of them in the last year has skyrocketed. Sadly cause every day someone is either crashing one drifting or leaving it outside to rot away.

But that isn't too bad for your first time wrapping with c/f. Plus it looks awesome on intercooler piping. I don't think I have even seen anyone do that before. Hats off that is badass!
Old 01-15-2019, 11:23 AM   #30
Jyttah
Leaky Injector

Well. Christmas have been pretty crazy for me. So havent had time to do any car related.

But I think its about time to make an update, even though its pretty small and not showing anything special.

First off... My friends found some more rust holes in the car. And as everybody knows, a small rusthole becomes big pretty fast!

But luckily they fixed it :P

Because i changed my mind with the rear overfenders, we had to remove the holes we previous drilled. and at the same time the hole for the original antenna was filled out.

Another friend made some logos and got them printed on some holographic sticker. Looks really cool IRL. (and you can find a small video on my instagram: https://www.instagram.com/gogo_gojira/ )

And now, on to more useless shit i bought for this build

And here i have a small update on the carbonskinning i tried earlier on.
Ive learned a lot of my mistakes and im actually pretty happy with the result. Here its a small test im doing on the steering reservoir.

And here is the intercooler piping before and after i sanded it down for hours :P

This piping still needs to be sanded down and have another layer of epoxy

Im getting the hang of it and hoping to be able to be even more efficient with the epoxy and sand as little as possible in the future.

Funny enough, i found an old picture of my previous S13

I had to try to put heatwrap on my elbow and manifold to see if i could do it.
Here is the result. Im not happy about it. Its to loose and i wraped it the wrong was around the manifold. But i have a lot more, so ill propably try again

This is it for now. But hopefully i can post a lot of progress pictures in 2 weeks time. And hopefully with painted interior and enginebay.