Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:14 PM   #511
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Generally when the oil spikes to that high of pressure, the oil pump relief is already open all the way, the pump just generates too much flow. Very common on 4G63's. They port the crap out of the oil pump relief when running 8000+rpm.

I'd imagine oil will start coming out the turbine seal. I'd recommend installing a temporary gauge in your feed line to see what's up. It's possible a smaller or secondary restrictor is needed. Or moving down to a -3 line.

I'm not a huge fan of Brad Penn, though it has a decent additive package. I'd recommend moving to something like Redline 10w40. Has a slightly lower hot viscosity but better startup protection and film strength.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2015, 10:06 PM   #512
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
I'll have to check it out. Once the oil is warm it doesn't go much too much over 100, but that's at a glance. Hard to peep the gauges when doing a 3rd gear pull. I do have a -4 on there and I could drop to a -3 line. I'm going to the drag strip Thursday, pending weather of course. I'll record my gauges and see what I'm getting. Might be time to put and oil pressure sensor on the Haltech and set some warnings or other safe guards.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:43 AM   #513
htc.zenit

Trader Rating: (0)
htc.zenit is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just read the whole thread. Amazing work you've done here, it's always great to see people push the limits a bit further

Any updates?
htc.zenit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 06:47 AM   #514
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
Yeah update?
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 08:42 AM   #515
jr_ss
Post Whore!

jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
No updates really. I've been driving the car a lot and enjoying it. I had a few issues here and there that needed to be taken care of, but other than that it's been completely reliable. There are a few changes and setup features I'll be adding in the future to improve response and make more power. As stated before, I want to setup launch control for those times I attend the drag strip. If also like to do boost by speed as well to maximize traction. 1st and 2nd gear are completely useless on the street. Even 3rd gear does a little bit of tail wagging as the Heilcal transfers power between wheels.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:47 AM   #516
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
Like I said, I really do believe it's a pre-warm condition. I don't beat on it or boost it until the motor is good and hot. At cruise in 4th gear at 2500rpms tonight I was seeing 60psi. Dropped it to third gear and kept the speed and it jumped to 70psi. I do see it climb over 100psi regularly, but never that high once warm. I'll watch it the next time I do a 3rd gear pull once at operating temp to see what it peaks at.

As for seals, the only one I can really see going is the Turbo oil seal. I do have the recommended restrictor installed but, at those pressures, it has to be seeing more than what the restrictor can regulate. What other seals could possibly be compromised by such high oil pressure? I wonder what pressure the oil pressure unloader valve is set to pop off at.
I am worried about the engine bearings. As pressure climbs higher, flow drops. Imagine if you covered the oil output port with your finger (Debris) you would see (max pressure) with 0 flow. So now release your finger a little bit, pressure MAY drop slightly, and bearing number 1 gets some oil, but it gets squished out the sides and drips back into the pan constantly by design, so bearing two still has none. And so forth
Old 11-23-2015, 07:33 AM   #517
jr_ss
Post Whore!

I get what you're saying, but this bottom end has had two setups on it and over 5K miles of mixed driving. The S14 SR20DET setup prior never saw oil pressure this high and that was with a new S14 oil pump. The only thing that changed was the VE oil pump and the VTC oil galley blocked. Aside from the solenoid block relocation and associated lines, nothing else changed. I'm not seeing signs of bearing failure in the oil. I could drop the oil viscosity for an oil change to see if that has had a significant effect or not.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:46 PM   #518
Jdmwhip
Leaky Injector

Jdmwhip is an unknown quantity at this point
Sweet build thread. Hows she treating you now?
Jdmwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 05:50 AM   #519
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdmwhip View Post
Sweet build thread. Hows she treating you now?
To be honest, I haven't driven it in the past 3months. I was married in Nov and traveled to our destination wedding. Life has gotten in the way and she's ultimately been parked.

I had an issue pop up prior to her hibernation though that I need to track down. The car runs great and doesn't give me any problems. However, when boosting, boost no longer snaps in like it use to. It's more linear, like a super charger. I have a feeling it's either my wastegate solenoid or the wastegate itself. It'll still make peak boost of 19-20psi, but much later in the rpm band.

I've got some things I want to change up on it. I believe I've mentioned them, but Ill list tem anyway.
- Add cams and/or adjust can switch points
- Setup launch control for drag duty
- Fix boosting issue
- Purchase drag slicks/wheel setup
- Potentially switch to E85 or alternative fuel to maximize power potential

I'm not nearly done with the car.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:12 AM   #520
Jdmwhip
Leaky Injector

Jdmwhip is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
To be honest, I haven't driven it in the past 3months. I was married in Nov and traveled to our destination wedding. Life has gotten in the way and she's ultimately been parked.

I had an issue pop up prior to her hibernation though that I need to track down. The car runs great and doesn't give me any problems. However, when boosting, boost no longer snaps in like it use to. It's more linear, like a super charger. I have a feeling it's either my wastegate solenoid or the wastegate itself. It'll still make peak boost of 19-20psi, but much later in the rpm band.

I've got some things I want to change up on it. I believe I've mentioned them, but Ill list tem anyway.
- Add cams and/or adjust can switch points
- Setup launch control for drag duty
- Fix boosting issue
- Purchase drag slicks/wheel setup
- Potentially switch to E85 or alternative fuel to maximize power potential

I'm not nearly done with the car.
Good to heat man. I'm subbed to the thread and looking forward to see more progress on the car. E85 would be nuts
Jdmwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 08:08 PM   #521
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdmwhip View Post
Good to heat man. I'm subbed to the thread and looking forward to see more progress on the car. E85 would be nuts
Agreed, E85 would really waken the car up and put some serious power out. I've been talking with my tuner and even he wants me to make the change. We'll see what this next year holds for it.

I sorted my boost issue out. I was messing around with something on the intake manifold and noticed a small oil droplet coming from the underside. I figured I had a small pin hole in a weld or a slight crack(which I've fixed plenty of in the past). So, rather than pulling the wastegate apart, I figured I'd start with the intake manifold and move on from there. Once I had the manifold off, it was clear my wastegate wasn't the problem...

All fixed...

I decided that just rewelding it was probably not going to last. So, I capped it with a piece of .5x.75x.063 angle to reenforce that specific area, since it's been prone to cracking.

Im off for the next two days and my hopes are to wire and setup the launch control off a momentary switch/button. I'll meet up with Harry to finalize everything but looking forward to building some boost on the line. This should drastically change my 60fts and my ETs.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:42 PM   #522
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
Nice welds!.
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:36 AM   #523
Options13
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (43)
Options13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 43 reviews
damn i decided to pull the trigger on the VVL.. and i have a 3076 coming in.. i'm a little concerned about spool time, 4.5-5k!?

what is your A/R on your exhuast side of your turbo?
Old 04-01-2016, 08:47 AM   #524
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options13 View Post
damn i decided to pull the trigger on the VVL.. and i have a 3076 coming in.. i'm a little concerned about spool time, 4.5-5k!?

what is your A/R on your exhuast side of your turbo?
My GTX has an .83 or .86, I can't recall off the top on my head. I have both cams switching at the same time and I feel that some spool can be recovered by optimizing the switch over points.

My redline is conservative and can be raised, however that P11 cams limit high RPM power. I would like to switch to N1's or possibly the P12s for better suited cams to the medium/large turbo frame. With the addition of either of those cams, all else staying the same, I should see a spool speed up slightly, while increasing power under the curve and overall peak numbers.
Old 11-28-2016, 12:21 AM   #525
Options13
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (43)
Options13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 43 reviews
My SR20VET is soo close. I'm just awaiting a 82.5mm throttle body from RMR, my ebay one i bought was leaking bad out the Shafts on the sides (tps/Throttle body).

I have a few questions.

The front of the valve cover hits the hood pretty hard, what motor mounts is everyone running to space the engine down a little bit?

Also is there any other throttle bodies available other than RMR 82.5mm. I can't seem to find anything else and a stock q45 throttle body won't work because it is too long. I need a throttle body about 2" long.

I can't wait to rail this setup!!

I hope to do about 500whp then tune it down to 450whp.

I plan to run pump gas, and around 15-20psi. Any guesses on what she will do around that, i'm super anxious to get her on the dyno.

AEM VER. 2 ECU
P11 Head with N1 Cams & BC Springs & Retainers
Mazworx intake manifold with 82.5mm RMR Throttle body
1000cc ID's w/ Water Meth injection
ls7 Coilpack w/ built in heat sync
Future Fab Manifold w/ GTX3076 . 82 ar
CP Pistons w/ valve releifs 9:1 and Manly Rods
ATI crank pulley
VE Oil Pump

all on Stock SR Transmission w/ OS Giken Twin Disk.
Old 11-28-2016, 12:36 AM   #526
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
Yellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Yellow4g63
Option which ebay throttle body did you have? Was it this one?

I think hyper tune might sell a throttle body with the q45 flange?

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Yellow4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:05 AM   #527
jr_ss
Post Whore!

@Options13- I replied to the SrVe thread here, http://zilvia.net/f/showpost.php?p=6...&postcount=481
Old 12-11-2016, 12:53 PM   #528
Teigen
Zilvia Junkie

Teigen is an unknown quantity at this point
Havent been on this forum in a while, had to check you up.

Amazing to read about both the dyno breaking, and the tunerguy's leg injury. Sounds exactly like my type of luck. Hope you go for a E85 soon.
Soon finished off my latest engine, a Volvo B234 turbo for racing, and I am up for a VE this time built from the ground up. Either that or a Honda K24, interested in seeing your E85 dyno numbers first.

Do you run any Ignition cut/ Antilag/launchcontrol? If so, have you removed the head to see how the Valveseats etc. looks?

Keep going
Old 12-11-2016, 10:42 PM   #529
Kaisen
Leaky Injector

Kaisen is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello, amazing build you have there. Mine is a bottom mount turbo and I'm looking at top mount turbo kits. Does yours come complete with the intercooler pipings and down pipe?
Kaisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 05:53 AM   #530
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisen View Post
Hello, amazing build you have there. Mine is a bottom mount turbo and I'm looking at top mount turbo kits. Does yours come complete with the intercooler pipings and down pipe?
See below.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:57 AM   #531
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teigen View Post
Havent been on this forum in a while, had to check you up.

Amazing to read about both the dyno breaking, and the tunerguy's leg injury. Sounds exactly like my type of luck. Hope you go for a E85 soon.
Soon finished off my latest engine, a Volvo B234 turbo for racing, and I am up for a VE this time built from the ground up. Either that or a Honda K24, interested in seeing your E85 dyno numbers first.

Do you run any Ignition cut/ Antilag/launchcontrol? If so, have you removed the head to see how the Valveseats etc. looks?

Keep going
Welcome back. E85 is buzzing in my ear, but I'm not entirely convinced yet. I'm not convinced because of the convienence factor of it, not because I doubt the power it can make.

I have not gotten the launch control setup yet, however, it is in the plans after the new year. I haven't opened my engine since it's been running. The only things I've really had to do were fix a cracking intake manifold, change the oil and spark plugs. It's been a great driver thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisen View Post
Thanks for the good vibes.

The exhaust manifold, downpipe and external wastegate dump tube were a set. The intercooler and piping were a set as well, but designed for an S14/15 motor set. Obviously, this setup was never available in factory configuration, so some of the stuff was modified to work or I fabricated new pieces altogether.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:28 AM   #532
Teigen
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Welcome back. E85 is buzzing in my ear, but I'm not entirely convinced yet. I'm not convinced because of the convienence factor of it, not because I doubt the power it can make.

I have not gotten the launch control setup yet, however, it is in the plans after the new year. I haven't opened my engine since it's been running. The only things I've really had to do were fix a cracking intake manifold, change the oil and spark plugs. It's been a great driver thus far.

Thanks

yeah, good to read this. looks astonishing, I want a roadcar like this myself, for now I have only built race-only purposed cars and drive an Audi on the streets, not THAT fun.

Did you weld the intake yourself with the old TIG @ your work? Looked not bad. I own a welding company and have had people apply for jobs welding lots worse than that. thumbs up

I wonder how the VE castings hold up against launch etc (ign. cut)
In some brands heads, I have seen the valve-seats move further up in the head, leading to hazard. Big problem on Volvo engines, the latest race engine I built was a Volvo 16V B234 and I had to replace the seats with larger ones in beryllium in order to expand the lifespan with Ign. cut (hard launch)

Enough shit in your nice thread, I will check for updates on your car, its been a long time since i was active here last time.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:27 AM   #533
SlmdCpe
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
SlmdCpe will become famous soon enoughSlmdCpe will become famous soon enoughSlmdCpe will become famous soon enoughSlmdCpe will become famous soon enoughSlmdCpe will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Bump for updates
SlmdCpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:17 PM   #534
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlmdCpe View Post
Bump for updates
Unfortunately, there has been no progress really with the car. In fact, I haven't driven it much either. Work and family life have eaten up most of my free time. I do still have plans for the car, I do still intend to get my few issues resolved and sorted, but when that actually occurs, is still up for debate.

The fact that Photofuckit has single handedly destroyed my build thread is a bit depressing. This story is years of acquiring, building and work that has been wiped out by the greedy bastards over there. However, from a business stand point, I get it, it just sucks.

I do have my cams and shim kit patiently waiting for the time I can replace them. My tuner is local and always willing to work after hours to get things sorted. I attempted to finish my wiring of the speed signal to the Haltech and I almost finished, but alas, life throws curveballs and apparently I'm up to bat. Hopefully, I'll be able to get back into the garage in the next few months to finish what I started.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:51 PM   #535
Teigen
Zilvia Junkie

As we can see, I'm here only like once every 2-3 years, so I hope to hear ye sourced it ouuuuuut m8
Old 02-24-2019, 02:38 PM   #536
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
As we can see, I'm here only like once every 2-3 years, so I hope to hear ye sourced it ouuuuuut m8
Ah... Of course I haven’t gotten things sorted. I had kids and then, we relocated 1100miles north to Pennsylvania to be closer to our families. In the last year, we lived with my in-laws for 9-10mons while our house sold and we found a new place to call home. I left the car in Florida because I had no where to store it at the time. Not to mention Photobucket killing all links to my photos, I lost interest in updating this thread.

Fast forward to now, we have a place, it includes 5 garage parking spaces, 3 of which are mine. I have plans, but little funds to do what I want until we get back on our feet from the purchase of the house.

So long as this thread is alive and this forum is still a viable outlet to post updates, I will continue to come back. I’m here, lurking in the back ground. Carry on...
Old 03-09-2020, 02:05 PM   #537
Teigen
Zilvia Junkie

And how are things going now? Settled enough to carry on the work this this beauty?

2020 already. I feel it isnt too long ago it turned 2010
Old 05-17-2020, 05:52 AM   #538
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
And how are things going now? Settled enough to carry on the work this this beauty?

2020 already. I feel it isnt too long ago it turned 2010
So... I guess I can update some stuff?

In February, two of my closest friends and my wife collaborated in secret to transport my car from Florida to Pennsylvania as a surprise birthday gift. I left my car at my parents place for multiple reasons when we relocated, the main reason being I didn?t have a place to store it.

In late 2018 we purchase a home and financially, I didn’t have the extra funds to transport or travel to get the car. My dad offered to trailer it up if I flew down to hell, but his Colorado, even with the V6, is only rated to tow 3800lbs, WTF?

Now that the car is here, I started tackling small things. The high idle was the starting point. When you fire the car, it jumps to 13-1400rpms, but it never drops and settles at 1000. So, upon investigation, the S13 has a wax material and coolant line hookups. The wax holds IACV wide open and prevents the stepper motor from being able to make any adjustments. I tested my theory by heating the IACV with a torch before starting the car. The car was hard to start and a blip of the throttle would allow it to run. Once the car was running and idling, the airflow through the IACV would cool the wax and high idle would resume. Heat the unit again and idle would settle around 1k and the stepper motor would hold it there.

So my options are few and many. My first thought is to remove the IACV, drill a hole in the wax portion and throw it in the grill to melt it out. I don?t have coolant lines to hook up to the IACV, otherwise, that would be my go to. I’ll try the above first and then replace with a Haltech unit if needed.

I took the car out for a spin testing a friends 4.36 Helical he gave me to diagnose a noise. While learning the noise was coming from the gear pattern mesh, essentially gear whine, I also learned the 4.36 rear really effects the wheel speed. My car always fought for traction in 3rd at WOT, but with his diff I blew my tires off at 75-80mph. So bad the car went sideways. I think this may be my next upgrade to help in the quarter mile runs.

Unfortunately, after swapping back to my 4.083 Helical, I believe I popped a freeze plug. This freeze plug is located in the bellhousing, so it looks like I have to pull the trans to check it out. I’ll report back. I have some plans to clean up the tune and finally get the N1’s in. I’m also on the hunt for a fresh, unmolested block to throw sleeves in and get a block with more power hold capabilities.

As always, thanks for reading. It’s nice to get back in here for a bit. The car is never done and I’ll always continue to tinker with it.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:04 AM   #539
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:

In February, two of my closest friends and my wife collaborated in secret to transport my car from Florida to Pennsylvania as a surprise birthday gift.
That?s a hell of a good present! Nice to see an update on this build!

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:48 AM   #540
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:

In February, two of my closest friends and my wife collaborated in secret to transport my car from Florida to Pennsylvania as a surprise birthday gift.
That?s a hell of a good present! Nice to see an update on this build!

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote