Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 08-22-2018, 05:26 PM   #1
Noctophobia

Trader Rating: (0)
Noctophobia is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SR SR20det blacktop whine/squeel sound

https://youtu.be/rmJdMP213TM

Video to show, can only hear this sound on idle, when driving you can't notice it and it's on the back of the car.

Not sure if it's a vacuum leak because I still haven't found a place to rent a tester. Tried to look around but didn't really see a broken tube but the car runs fine without problems. Also as I get to 1300 rpm the whistle stops happening.

At the beginning I though it was coming from the intake manifold but it seems like it's from the back of the engine in general so I don't really know.

Oil is ok, coolant is ok. Everything runs fine. I wouldn't mind redoing vacuum pipes since they're probably old and shit just want to be sure to actually buy the faulty material

Also is it still safe to drive without pushing it or is it better not used it until fixed?

Thanks a lot.
Noctophobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2018, 01:28 AM   #2
unicoder
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
unicoder is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You need air to whistle, so I'm going with vacuum leak. Get you something combustible like starter fluid and get creative spraying it everywhere back there. When you find the leak the car will rev by combusting the fluid.

Only once you confirm there are no leaks do you need to check gaskets or take anything apart. Good luck!

5.3 V8 Swap w/ Nitrous
unicoder is offline   Reply With Quote