Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-23-2006, 08:13 AM   #1
moreno

Trader Rating: (0)
moreno is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SR sr20det only boosting 6psi all of sudden......

does anyone have any ideas on what could cause that? i have a blitz sbc id boost controller.

the car was boosting 10psi for many months with no problems. now it won't go past 6psi.

i'm going to check for leaks, any other ideas would be helpful.

thanks.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:29 AM   #2
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Leaks or the turbo took a dump.
SoSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 09:48 AM   #3
moreno

moreno is an unknown quantity at this point
hopefully its just leaks, but if the turbo took a dump then that just gave me a reason to upgrade and spend money
Old 03-23-2006, 11:03 AM   #4
cookie
Leaky Injector

cookie is an unknown quantity at this point
6psi is the std actuator pressure , so it could be your boost controller has given it up, check the wiring and solenoid.

C.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:19 PM   #5
sleeperhit

sleeperhit is an unknown quantity at this point
Im guessing its a leak. If it was the turbo it would'nt be a steady 6.
sleeperhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 01:20 AM   #6
jdm_s14_zenki
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
jdm_s14_zenki is a glorious beacon of lightjdm_s14_zenki is a glorious beacon of lightjdm_s14_zenki is a glorious beacon of lightjdm_s14_zenki is a glorious beacon of lightjdm_s14_zenki is a glorious beacon of lightjdm_s14_zenki is a glorious beacon of lightjdm_s14_zenki is a glorious beacon of lightjdm_s14_zenki is a glorious beacon of lightjdm_s14_zenki is a glorious beacon of lightjdm_s14_zenki is a glorious beacon of lightjdm_s14_zenki is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jdm_s14_zenki
actually i just fixed the same problem today!!
after weeks of trying to find out what the problem was, i decided to try a different boost controller.. and thats exactly what the prob was..

all of a sudden, after running 14psi for months, i would not go over 6-7psi...

replaced the boost controller and problem fixed. TODAY! now i boost 14psi no problem
jdm_s14_zenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 01:46 AM   #7
TougeSR20Kid
Zilvia Junkie

TougeSR20Kid has a little shameless behavior in the past
jdm s14 zenki what kind of boost controller were you running?
Namaste mother f**ker
TougeSR20Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 02:57 AM   #8
jdm_s14_zenki
Zilvia Addict

jdm_s14_zenki is a glorious beacon of lightjdm_s14_zenki is a glorious beacon of lightjdm_s14_zenki is a glorious beacon of lightjdm_s14_zenki is a glorious beacon of lightjdm_s14_zenki is a glorious beacon of lightjdm_s14_zenki is a glorious beacon of lightjdm_s14_zenki is a glorious beacon of lightjdm_s14_zenki is a glorious beacon of lightjdm_s14_zenki is a glorious beacon of lightjdm_s14_zenki is a glorious beacon of lightjdm_s14_zenki is a glorious beacon of light
the one that went bad was a manual boost controller from HKS. i replaced it with a "dejon" MBC from roadraceengineering in socal. they only work on DSM crap but the workers have sr20s and they use it with no problems. it was 50 bucks and works just fine. in fact, it was much better then the HKS and i saved $50. try using it, or you can try using a different one, but it has to be a MBC for internal single port wastegates. and make sure its all hooked up right. any questions email me at [email protected]

its well built and easy to install as well as setting the boost. its ball and spring, looks and feels real reliable, boost builds great, doesnt spike, or fluctuate. im a happy camper.

I dynoed at 260WHP 260TQ on 14psi, stock turbo stock manifold, stock injectors, just afc....and i hit full torque at 3600rpm as well as full boost at a little under that, and thats running 11afr and 20btdc timing., still rich and safe. i say screw the electronic boost controllers....not worth the $ in my opinion.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:39 PM   #9
HootAuto
Zilvia.net Advertiser

HootAuto is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
i say screw the electronic boost controllers....not worth the $ in my opinion.
The only real advantage to an electronic boost controller is some can actually assist the boost spoolup time by keeping the wastegate closed until the last second instead of a gradual opening. Also with some you can have two or even three boost settings. There are many others, but I'm sure nobody cares...only problem is most of them are a little expensive!!

Check out my Group Buys and Specials!
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=103985
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=103935
HootAuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 03:15 AM   #10
topsecretgold
Zilvia FREAK!

topsecretgold is a jewel in the roughtopsecretgold is a jewel in the roughtopsecretgold is a jewel in the roughtopsecretgold is a jewel in the roughtopsecretgold is a jewel in the roughtopsecretgold is a jewel in the roughtopsecretgold is a jewel in the rough
there is another benefit to using an electronic boost controller... manual's have a tendency to spike and e-boost controllers will help with this (do this by setting the gain properly). yet another benifit is that you can control the boost and set everything from the cabin without getting out of your car and popping the hood all of the time, people will use really long vacuum lines for their manuals but word of mouth is that it will mess with the boost response, not sure... any ideas
topsecretgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 03:40 AM   #11
jdm_s14_zenki
Zilvia Addict

i know that electronics are a great way to adjust "how" the boost kicks in, but from what i hear is that a good manual boost controller is much more reliable then electronics, and to me, being able to adjust boost in the cabin and adjust when the boost occurs isnt worth the extra $500 for daily driving and less reliablity...some mbcs suck, some dont.