Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-29-2022, 03:30 PM   #1
ragamuffin

Trader Rating: (0)
ragamuffin will become famous soon enoughragamuffin will become famous soon enoughragamuffin will become famous soon enoughragamuffin will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
JDM Wing question - broken studs

Hey everyone,

I tried searching but didn't find anything on this topic. I bought a used JDM kouki wing for my s14 and the stud on one side of the wing (marked in red) is smaller (likely cut off). It needs to be longer so that I can secure it to the car.

Any advice on how I could fix this? I'm adding images for context. Appreciate the help!

Here are the pics: https://imgur.com/a/5tHM8Qp

Last edited by ragamuffin; 03-29-2022 at 03:31 PM.. Reason: updating car model info
ragamuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2022, 03:44 PM   #2
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Chop it down and have someone weld a new one to the stub of the old one.
Or press the old one out and install a nut-sert, and then use a bolt from underneath to attach.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.

Last edited by brndck; 03-29-2022 at 04:40 PM..
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 04:16 PM   #3
s13 @ fullboost
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
s13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s13 @ fullboost
Nut cert is a solid repair like brndck said. I think that would be the best approach IMO.
Old 03-29-2022, 05:22 PM   #4
inferno s14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
inferno s14 is making his/her stupidity well-knowninferno s14 is making his/her stupidity well-knowninferno s14 is making his/her stupidity well-knowninferno s14 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
let me know if you want to sell that wing
inferno s14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 06:26 PM   #5
ragamuffin

Trader Rating: (0)
ragamuffin will become famous soon enoughragamuffin will become famous soon enoughragamuffin will become famous soon enoughragamuffin will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Chop it down and have someone weld a new one to the stub of the old one.
Or press the old one out and install a nut-sert, and then use a bolt from underneath to attach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13 @ fullboost View Post
Nut cert is a solid repair like brndck said. I think that would be the best approach IMO.
I think it'd make sense to weld an extension of the stud. My concern with the nutcert is that the it wouldn't be embedded anywhere. If you put in a wall, it's held in place on all sides, but in a wing, there's just a layer of plastic that the nutcert is piercing, and that's the only thing holding it in place. Hope I'm making sense since I don't know anything about working on cars, but I'm trying to learn here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno s14 View Post
let me know if you want to sell that wing
If I decide to sell, I'll let you know. I waited years to find one local to me.
ragamuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 07:48 PM   #6
1on1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
The way I mounted my Kouki wing in the past was with 3m double-sided tape + stud/nut. It will be similar if you did the nut-sert like brndck said.
Old 03-30-2022, 08:56 PM   #7
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
If you're worried about the nut-sert not holding onto the plastic that well, you could always remove that broken stud, and then drill an access hole near where the stud was. you could feed another bolt through, and with a little patience, get it sticking out of the original hole where the stud was. You can use a pushnut washer to hold the new stud in place. Once done you can then plug up the access hole with a rubber plug if you'd like.