Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:59 PM   #1
GWB654
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
GWB654 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Drift event insurance?

i am looking to start a local drift event. i am yet to lock down a location but i was wondering where other event planners are getting insurance for their drift events? i would like to have an idea so when i approach a property owner i have some info about how i plan to insure the event. any input will be greatly appreciated!

thanks in advance,
Scott
Old 09-10-2012, 07:24 AM   #2
trickey1991
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
trickey1991 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I know the track I host my drift events at they provide the insurance for the track for the days
Old 09-10-2012, 02:11 PM   #3
GWB654
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickey1991 View Post
I know the track I host my drift events at they provide the insurance for the track for the days
Thanks for your response. The problem I have is there is no race track on the the island of Oahu. So I will have to provide my own insurance to run on private property. So if there is anyone out there that runs events in parking lots and paved lots and provides their own insurance who do you go through?
Old 09-10-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
smoketherear
Zilvia Member

smoketherear is an unknown quantity at this point
i think your best bet would be looking how auto X does it
smoketherear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #5
iveexcaped3
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
iveexcaped3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
easy drivers sign a waiver saying you or the owners of the property are not liable for any damages, injury, or even death. thats what i would look into
iveexcaped3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:40 AM   #6
Edgar
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
Edgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Edgar
You might want to do some more reserch before getting into running "drift" events or possibly contact some organizers directly and seeing what some of them might be doing. Takes more then just insurance to run an event.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #7
G35_S13_Coupe
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (9)
G35_S13_Coupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
get ahold of someone in charge of autox or another event that has dealt with insurance for events. they will more than likely help you get it, or point you in the right direction.
G35_S13_Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #8
kumokun
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
kumokun is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
cheee! bump for trying to set up a drift event back home. sucks the track closed down. get the event going i know choke guys wanting an event. or some place to drift/practice, leagaly.
kumokun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #9
vehicle336
Zilvia Member

vehicle336 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by kumokun View Post
cheee! bump for trying to set up a drift event back home. sucks the track closed down. get the event going i know choke guys wanting an event. or some place to drift/practice, leagaly.
Can I get a translation please? Anyone? I don't speak shitty 1st grade English.

Head to SCCA.com, find your nearest region and ask the head of that region what they do for insurance. Or do the same with NASA, or BMWCCA, or POCA, or... Google search that shit?

GL.
vehicle336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:24 PM   #10
GWB654
Leaky Injector

thanks for all the responses! i have done my research and i do know that insurance is just one part of the big picture! I used to be involved with holding events back when we had a track and we used to just buy insurance through the track. but not having the luxury of this anymore i will need to find it else where. i am in talks with a insurance agency and we are working out some numbers. the biggest hurdle with drifting events is finding a location that will allow us to use their pavement. the best location for drifting events would be at our local stadium parking lot but previous drifting event holders at this location has given all drifters a bad name, and the surrounding neighborhood does not like the drifter because of them. so i am on the hunt for a new location big enough to hold a event. any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
You might want to do some more reserch before getting into running "drift" events or possibly contact some organizers directly and seeing what some of them might be doing. Takes more then just insurance to run an event.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:21 PM   #11
mteehee
Leaky Injector

mteehee is an unknown quantity at this point
Motorsports ? Facilities and Events

Bump for creating the thread most relevant to my interests. I am exploring the same crusade in the Northwest, specifically the Seattle area.

Location location location.
I've been prowling craigslist "office & commercial" as well as local commercial real estate brokers. I made my first cold call on 12 FLAT acres out here to no avail. Its going to be an uphill grind. Keep on swimming right?

I've been out of the "scene" since my car was stolen in 09. Drifting has remained a curious obsession since.

After everything from used car sales, driving a forklift, Safeway bagger & photographer to carpenter and Alaskan crab fisherman ... I've decided that entrepreneurship and being my own boss is a more desirable avenue.

The remainder of my .02
1. Write a business plan to present to a property owner. Clean and tight yo.
They need to know you've done your home work, that they'll be protected and compensated.
2. Develop networking, leadership, marketing, accounting skills. Read business books, listen to audiobooks. IMO a college education is optional here.
4. Start a journal
5. Make a list of your short and long term goals & check something off everyday.
6. Look up these names, John C Maxwell, Jim Rhone, Zig Ziglar, Dave Ramsey & John Acuff

One of the founders of FORMULA D was 23 years old when they started. The way I see it, a grassroots uprising will feed the growth and intensity of the ProAm. No doubt it can get as big as D1Street Legal is. Drifting in America is still young.
Formula Drift: 10 Years And Still Sideways | Speedhunters

Looking forward to what people think about this. I know with the Interwebz help... this can be come a reality even though.. I dont know how yet.
mteehee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:26 AM   #12
Silviastunter
Leaky Injector

Silviastunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Mteehee if you find a location that would be sweet. We need better tracks in Seattle. Goodluck!
Silviastunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:35 AM   #13
Dori90
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
Dori90 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I'm currently running event in social..i simply wrote a waiver for the owner stating that any damage/ injury /ect doesn't apply to him.. have all drive sign a waiver stating they are at fault for any damages to the property and other around them during the even.. YOU MUST BE FIRM AT THE EVENT.."any BS will get you kicked out" take control and if they don't listen regardless if they are you friend kick them out asap..
know as for insurance or fire rescue you could simply talk to your fire department for that and a property insurance agency..seeing how your in HI I'm sure you could just skip the whole insurance and just create a really good waiver

hope this helps ..
Dori90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:34 PM   #14
mteehee
Leaky Injector

I did plan on a 0 tolerance/ no excuses clause as part of the 'conditions of entry' for the drivers.

So you're telling me.. You approached a landowner with you waiver and you are currently running events down there?

no special use permits? road closure issues? parking? honey buckets? insurance? adherence to "environmental noise limits?"

it does help! but... how did you do it? haha
Old 12-12-2013, 12:40 PM   #15
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mteehee View Post
I did plan on a 0 tolerance/ no excuses clause as part of the 'conditions of entry' for the drivers.

So you're telling me.. You approached a landowner with you waiver and you are currently running events down there?

no special use permits? road closure issues? parking? honey buckets? insurance? adherence to "environmental noise limits?"

it does help! but... how did you do it? haha
Your questions are VERY specific and could only be answered accurately by others in your SPECIFIC area. Noise limits, permits, etc are COMPLETELY variable depending on where the even is, even within the same state, county, probably even city. I would start with city/state offices in your area, rather than asking a bunch of dumbasses on a car forum.

Also, why the life story? Doesn't seem relevant...
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:33 PM   #16
mteehee
Leaky Injector

Pardon the mini bio. I chose to include it for contextual relevance to illustrate 'why' I would care about starting something. Running events would be my dream job. Any/ All help is appreciated.

All sarcasm aside, I appreciate your input. What would you ask a state official on this topic given the chance?

I know zilvia reaches drift "dumbasses" all across the nation. There a lot of guys out here that have sweat and bled for the sake of drifting in their own way. I want their stories, perspectives and even their pictures, on the matter of starting small, local events.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #17
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
You ask them the same questions you're asking us. As for what offices would have that information, I wouldn't know. That would be the first question I would ask. "What local office handles permits for special events?" If the office issues permits for other non-automotive special events then they would at least know where you should be asking these questions.

Also, Insurance is ABSOLUTELY necessary for ANY event, automotive or not. The waivers are simply to reduce the liability for the event organizer and property owner's respective insurance companies. You'll still have staff that needs to be covered.
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:33 PM   #18
DRFTSAINT

DRFTSAINT is on the path to ruinDRFTSAINT is on the path to ruinDRFTSAINT is on the path to ruin
~GWB654~
Contact this place:
1000 Uluohia Street, Suite 309
Kapolei, Hawaii 96707
Phone: (808) 768-3003
Fax: (808) 768-3053
email:
[email protected]

Ask them about places in the area that can hold an event of your size, be specific about how many maximum occupancy you will for the event, ask them what type of restrictions would be placed (noise, hours of operation, etc.). If there are no state/county owned areas that can be used, they should be able to dip into public records for you and find individually owned areas that can facilitate your needs.

As for ~mteehee~
I'd start by contacting here, and do the same process from above:
Seattle Parks and Recreation
100 Dexter Ave N Seattle, WA 98109
General Parks Information
(206) 684-4075 | TTY (206) 233-1509
DRFTSAINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:59 PM   #19
mteehee
Leaky Injector

I'll develop a presentation...
Old 12-13-2013, 08:57 AM   #20
kouki_mobster

kouki_mobster is an unknown quantity at this point
build it and they will come
kouki_mobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:14 PM   #21
Blacked Out Motorsports

Blacked Out Motorsports is an unknown quantity at this point
We host local AutoX's which started out as a bunch of us having fun, a few years later we're hosting 4x the amount and having to limit the amount of people who participate in the events because some of them have been larger than we can accommodate.

My suggestion is to start off small, figure out what works, what doesn't. Then expand. Our insurance is roughly $600/day for the events, it started off at almost double that I think it was, not sure. Try to get some kind of exclusive rights to rent the facility once you have a spot so someone doesn't try to take over your spot.
Blacked Out Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:13 AM   #22
Chachacha
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
Chachacha is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Local events

Mteehee.. U want local events.. We can make something happen, we have our own insurance.. We are FT Motorsport grp "Fresno Tanso" we host our own events here in Fresno Ca. YouTube Fresno Tasno events. We have host, 6-7 events alrdy.. Just had 2 events alrdy this yr, goin to have another event in April 12 in Idaho which is Boise Tanso, our sister chapter.. Hit me up and we can talk (559)930-6384
Chachacha is offline   Reply With Quote