Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Local / Regional / National > Japan 日本

Old 10-04-2013, 06:10 AM   #1
VIPDRFT
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
VIPDRFT has a spectacular aura aboutVIPDRFT has a spectacular aura aboutVIPDRFT has a spectacular aura aboutVIPDRFT has a spectacular aura aboutVIPDRFT has a spectacular aura aboutVIPDRFT has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
35th Fighter Wing Commander Disallows Racing/Drifting/Stunt Driving

This is just an FYI.

I know not everyone on here drifts, races, etc... but I figured I should pass this on. This is what I was e-mailed:

"We've experienced 7 deaths this year on Misawa AB. Many of them are driving-related deaths. Most of those deaths are NOT alcohol related. The two main contributing factors were loss of control (due to speed, driving style) and Japanese road conditions (narrow, no shoulders, rutted). The 35 FW/CC issued a NOTAM which disallows any type of racing, drifting, stunt driving, etc, even on a closed course."

Old 10-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
KoukiKid
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
KoukiKid is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPDRFT View Post
disallows any type of racing, drifting, stunt driving, etc, even on a closed course."
DAMN that sucks. While I'm over here in the states with a Wing/CC that probably doesn't even know what drifting is.
KoukiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:45 AM   #3
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
ours doesnt either..... they see skid marks and automatically think drifting.

These are not S or R chassis's they are killing themselves in, they are Subaru's.....
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit

Last edited by Sileighty_85; 10-09-2013 at 04:21 PM..
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:52 AM   #4
VIPDRFT
Zilvia Junkie

VIPDRFT has a spectacular aura aboutVIPDRFT has a spectacular aura aboutVIPDRFT has a spectacular aura aboutVIPDRFT has a spectacular aura aboutVIPDRFT has a spectacular aura aboutVIPDRFT has a spectacular aura about
I'm gonna assume you meant "aren't". Yeah, from what I hear, and have seen for sale online, most people drive Imprezas or Legacys. Basically, it was people who don't know how to drive in the snow and/or a bunch of Ken Block wannabes. I'm gonna see if I can get a copy of the Notice To Airmen (NOTAM) explaining the whole thing. It seems bass ackwards to take away the liberty to race on safe legal venues in order to stop illegal racing. Officer logic....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 10-08-2013, 06:36 AM   #5
sidewaysil80
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
sidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
No shit, it seems this would only encourage or justify the illegal racing. If anything condone legal events and offer incentives to keep it on the track.
sidewaysil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #6
VIPDRFT
Zilvia Junkie

It's a liability for them (the leadership). Therefore, it's easier, costs less money and man hours to simply write a NOTAM disallowing everything rather than increasing training/awareness like they do with sexual assault, alcohol, human trafficking, drugs, etc.... IDK, I'm thinking of writing my Congressman or something. This seems like an instance when leadership overstepping their bounds....

Old 10-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #7
sidewaysil80
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
sidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPDRFT View Post
It's a liability for them (the leadership). Therefore, it's easier, costs less money and man hours to simply write a NOTAM disallowing everything rather than increasing training/awareness like they do with sexual assault, alcohol, human trafficking, drugs, etc.... IDK, I'm thinking of writing my Congressman or something. This seems like an instance when leadership overstepping their bounds....

That's exactly what it sounds like. I have heard of and agree with establishing "Off Limit" establishments, but I've never heard of them (Uncle Sam) flat out decreeing that someones hobby is now off limits (especially when it is not the cause of the accidents). I was in the Corps for 8 years, got out last summer so I'm well aware of how the military works, however, this seems excessive and unlawful. I would certainly write your congressman and do so A LOT to get a response. HOWEVER, you would probably have more pull with running it up your chain of command directly(especially prior to writing congressman). Show them that zero injuries/deaths have happened while on the track and if anything track days/events keep people OFF the streets and will save lives.

Furthermore, show them that you want to be part of the solution not just nag them, come up with a way to promote track events and take on the responsibility of orchestrating track days so your command actually has a viable option instead of flat out repealing an order. Maybe call different/local tracks and see if you can special rates to book the place monthly and have command verify that you are running sanctioned track days. Gather statistics etc. and put your entire proposal/plan in writing and send it up the chain. Have your lowest level officer proof read/help you and then send it directly to whoever wrote the order banning track events. That way, A. you "notified" your chain of command by having local officer proof read, and B. you get to skip all the middle men who don't give a fuck and go straight to the source.
sidewaysil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:36 PM   #8
VIPDRFT
Zilvia Junkie

Thanks for the good advice. I've been in 10 years so far, so I feel ya. Gotta go through the proper channels and be tactful/part of the solution.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #9
VIPDRFT
Zilvia Junkie

Well, I asked my unofficial sponsor in Japan what I can do to influence a change in the policy. According to him, there is nothing I can do. I would "...literally have to bring back the 4 people who died from reckless driving this year alone to have an argument." So, I guess writing my Congressman really is the only avenue. It's the one thing they can't lawfully forbid me from doing on the matter.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #10
VIPDRFT
Zilvia Junkie

Here's a copy of the policy.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NOTAM 13-19 Automobile and Motorcycle Racing.pdf (91.5 KB, 20 views)
Old 10-17-2013, 01:01 AM   #11
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Oki-traz rules followed Nino to Misawa basically. My suggestion is do the same shit we were doing in Oki. Go to the track that you guys have, go on weekdays when you know wont have any gaijin out there and only go with folks that you know/trust. We did it for 4 yrs down there and nothing ever happened...OSI is not gonna waste their time driving 45 mins to 1 hr to a private property.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:22 AM   #12
VIPDRFT
Zilvia Junkie

Regardless, SF/OSI could possibly profile personnel based on what they drive, and if the vehicles show excessive wear from "tracking". Additionally, what modifications are done to it and/or performed at the auto hobby shop. Not that they'd be able to prove much without eye witnesses or video.

I can see it being more of an issue for personnel living on base.

I've been wondering how exactly they plan on enforcing this policy. It seems like a lot would have to go into it to make it work. SF are usually stretched thin enough as is with regular duties. Plus, you have to think about money and man hours spent trying to apprehend and counsel/reprimand/court martial violators during the current budget situation.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #13
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
They're not gonna enforce it...its more of a cover their ass when people continue to kill themselves driving and wrapping the car around a tree or if you decide to choki dori on the street and get popped off base.

SF profiling people, it comes and goes. They'll harass tuner cars at the gates for a few weeks, then get bored and leave people alone again. Seems to happen right around PCS season when SF or the base have new leadership. When that happens, I usually just dont drive the car off base so I dont have to go thru the gate or drive the wife's car.

CLICK HERE!!!
Old 12-12-2013, 07:18 AM   #14
Russ
Zilvia Member

Russ is an unknown quantity at this point
Anybody heard of this nonsense creeping down to Yokota? (my follow-on)
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:51 AM   #15
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

They're not gonna drive 4 hrs to see if you're drifting in a track...

CLICK HERE!!!
Old 12-13-2013, 11:57 AM   #16
KevinEdgar
Zilvia FREAK!

KevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to all
Ahh man, I can't wait to visit Japan after my enlistment is uppp. I lol'd at the description driving tricks..

http://milktea-man.com
KevinEdgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:16 AM   #17
Russ
Zilvia Member

Russ is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
They're not gonna drive 4 hrs to see if you're drifting in a track...
No, I was wondering if the base leadership at Yokota was going to jump on this bandwagon too.

Has anybody at Misawa been out at MSP lately? I know people are pushing waivers up, just wondering if anyone has been successful yet.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:02 PM   #18
Zbythegods
Zilvia Member

Zbythegods is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sileighty_85 View Post
ours doesnt either..... they see skid marks and automatically think drifting.

These are not S or R chassis's they are killing themselves in, they are Subaru's.....
Sounds like people were watching a little too much Initial D. Guess they are thinking AWD drifting is easy!

On a serious note, it is definitely not fair to the people who know what they are doing/do it legally.

Last edited by Zbythegods; 01-11-2014 at 09:24 AM..
Zbythegods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:21 AM   #19
AFSil80
Zilvia Addict

AFSil80 will become famous soon enoughAFSil80 will become famous soon enoughAFSil80 will become famous soon enoughAFSil80 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to AFSil80 Send a message via MSN to AFSil80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Anybody heard of this nonsense creeping down to Yokota? (my follow-on)
If you're open to visitors once you're settled in...holla atcha boy.

On topic, this is the kind of "leadership" that convinced me to get out. Nothing worse than a Major or LTC trying to make a name for themselves to get the big chicken on their collar.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:54 PM   #20
KoukiKid
Zilvia Member

i hate to bring this thread back from the dead, but remembered seeing it a while back and just got orders for the 35th a couple weeks ago. did anything ever come of this or is it still banned?

and if so, how do you guys get around it, if at all?
Old 09-11-2014, 07:06 AM   #21
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
its being worked right now so ppl can get a wavier, but gotta kinda jump through hoops.
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:08 AM   #22
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Soo is it just like Kadena? We still went to the tracks, just kinda kept it low key. We'd go on week days, take your plates off when you're there just in case.

CLICK HERE!!!
Old 09-14-2014, 08:06 PM   #23
KoukiKid
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sileighty_85 View Post
its being worked right now so ppl can get a wavier, but gotta kinda jump through hoops.
glad to see some kind of forward motion on it, nonetheless!
Old 10-07-2014, 03:21 AM   #24
atticus_jay
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
atticus_jay is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
does it pertain to navy folks or AF only?
atticus_jay is offline   Reply With Quote