Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Polls

Polls Post All Polls in Here.

View Poll Results: Need to know the percentage of people who wouldbuild/or have or plan to have ka24det
I have had a ka24de-t 55 11.43%
I currently have a ka24de and wish there was more support for it. 63 13.10%
I am planning on building a ka24de-t 142 29.52%
I preffer the sr20det. 221 45.95%
Voters: 481. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-19-2012, 02:25 AM   #1
illvialuver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
illvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
percentage of people who prefer ka24de(t) to the sr20det

I know this may seem like beating a dead horse, but I need know this percentage to see the interest in ka24de(t) parts.

If major Japanese tuning companies produced ka24de(t) parts would you build a ka-t instead of an swapping in a sr20?

This poll is for people who are only interested in ka24det or the sr20det, if you want to put in an la or a rb, or 2j or whatever I just need information for the interest in quality engine tuning products for the ka24de
illvialuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2012, 02:44 AM   #2
illvialuver
Post Whore!

illvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfection
I'm sorry I forgot to leave a option for have had ka24det, want and plan to build a ka24det.

I also forgot to mention the option of I had an sr20 but I want a ka and vice versa.

Please your comments and thoughts, on why you want to build one, or what your reasons are for not wanting an sr.

Please leave vulgar or immature comments out of this.

Acceptable comments, are sr20det engines are illegal.

Or I prefer bucket over shim, more displacement,ect.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:51 AM   #3
illvialuver
Post Whore!

I just think that you would see so much more ka24det if companies like hks/greddy/tomei whoever makes the best and most common sr20det parts in Japan, made parts for the ka24de as well, especially when it is the motor that comes with our cars here and is not illegal.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:30 AM   #4
yvang07
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (9)
yvang07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I love my KA because of the fact that there ARE companies that make parts specifically for this motor now. If you blow it up you could source another easily, A good friend has one that has over 500whp, Reliable as hell
Old 05-20-2012, 02:46 AM   #5
Akito86
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
Akito86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4age baiiibe with Carbs! Chauu
Old 05-20-2012, 05:32 AM   #6
smithrcing17
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
smithrcing17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
if i could vote twice id chose the first and last category, i had a fully built ka motor, looked everywhere for parts, nothing was really clear, does this downpipe fit with this turbo? do i need a top mount or bottom mount, and then if i did get either of them who even makes a downpipe? is it going to clear my floor board? what intercooler kit should i buy? .... all of two options between like isis and greddy and at the time isis didnt even make their ka kit yet so i was kinda stuck between crazy expensive and ebay shit.. this is why i went with an sr, parts everywhere, sold my built ka setup for way more then what an sr cost and got a whole load of parts on top of that.. looking back if i knew what i knew now and had the resourses that i do now i prolly would stay with the ka since i already had a built block i could have fabricated all my own parts. but for the normal person who just bought a stock/semi stock 240, the amount of money they would spend building their motor, sourcing all the ka-t parts together would be double what an sr swap costs, i mean jei has complete srs for like 2350. if you have the least bit of motor skills you can swap a motor
smithrcing17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:18 AM   #7
Biggamehit
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
Biggamehit will become famous soon enoughBiggamehit will become famous soon enoughBiggamehit will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Biggamehit Send a message via MSN to Biggamehit Send a message via Yahoo to Biggamehit
I was a proud owner of a very productive KA-T using it for drifting auto-x and occasional drag racing. I had a low end setup that was useful only putting down 204hp 208tq but I was on a budget and had fun with it.

I built it because well I didn't have money for the SR and honestly didn't want to get it just because. Around the time I did it 2006 JGS started carried manifold kits that you could build. I now live in Japan and own SR powered cars I have come to respect the engine but... I would never buy one to put inside a s13 should I ever live in America again. It comes down to preference and what the owner if capable of. Some people just cant build a proper turbo car and for them PnP might be the better cheaper option over all.

Facebook: Pink Ranger Drift
Biggamehit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #8
illvialuver
Post Whore!

I can understand that. But the question I pose, is if the market for [B]aftermarket parts were equal in choices[B] and if you lived in the United States and drove a s13/s14
which would you choose.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #9
Kenzo
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Kenzo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Ca18

I have a CA18DET and wish there was more support for it,
Kenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:11 PM   #10
Okinawandrifter87
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
Okinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito86 View Post
4age baiiibe with Carbs! Chauu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzo View Post
I have a CA18DET and wish there was more support for it,

Seriously, if you have nothing productive to add to this thread or on topic, then get out. None of those motors were options. The OP is asking for opinions to possibly help us out and get more options opened up for us.

OP, I love the SR, however, if there were more products as there is available for the sr that you wouldnt have to go custom for I probably would do KA.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:30 PM   #11
illvialuver
Post Whore!

Thanks for the support. I really just need to get a feel for what the actual headcount is of people who would run the ka if there was more aftermarket support.

This information will be very helpful. I am not at liberty to say what I am up to or who I work for, but as far as you know, people are not willing to put money into developing things without the statistics to back up their investment.

I am trying to get the information to help people develop parts to further our community.

I appreciate everyones time.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:11 AM   #12
Okinawandrifter87
Post Whore!

Okinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfection
I knew it
Old 05-21-2012, 09:40 AM   #13
brizanden
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
brizanden is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brizanden
ill always rock a ka over sr anyday if im staying 4 cylinder.
more availability cheaper etc etc
so yes it would be nice to have more off the shelf nice aftermarket pieces, but i do like that most ka-ters are a lil more knowledgable if they did build their own setup cause we have to hunt thro piles of info and figure out setups as someone else said as opposed to just dropping in a turbo motor with its stock pieces.
brizanden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:43 AM   #14
Edwin562
Post Whore!

Edwin562 is an unknown quantity at this point
Im a former Ka-t, but i did go the dark side... for me its the same other than the Kat i felt more a raw power and the sr as smooth power... i stayed with my sr.... sorry guys..
Edwin562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:01 AM   #15
illvialuver
Post Whore!

no reason to be sorry, I remember the early days when I had a ka-t like 4 years ago, and guys would flock to my car at a meet when they heard it was turbo, then I pop my hood and they were like " oh its a ka, whatever shoulda got an sr" now it seems like it is almost 50 -50
Old 05-22-2012, 12:44 AM   #16
Kuma
Zilvia Addict

Kuma is an unknown quantity at this point
I plan on going KA-t. Not really worried about it being hard to find parts... I'm pretty good at that, and have good friends that are skilled fabricators. If I ever swap engines it will be another KA or a V8.
Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:50 AM   #17
xh3nry
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (15)
xh3nry is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
I honestly think people prefer the sr because it's the easier route. Basically just dropping it in, as opposed to having to change compression and buying many parts via the kadet
xh3nry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:59 AM   #18
PureRush
Zilvia Addict

PureRush is an unknown quantity at this point
I had a ka-t s13 but It sucks how hard it is to find the parts that will actually fit. You have to either go ebay or go broke.
PureRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:26 AM   #19
illvialuver
Post Whore!

Xhenry-

Yeah you can drop in a sr and call it a day, but the bottom line is the motor is illegal, so that is a big factor for me when considering a engine for a street car. The ka doesn't need compression changed, it only suffers from weak ring seats, and most people who run ka-t run a semi shady re-tuned ecu, now if they had a proper stand alone and equal tuning like the sr, there wouldn't be many problems.

Then when you think of cost, you could have a built ka block and head for the cost of a bone stock sr.

I would like to mention that this thread/ poll is not to debate which is better, but to find out the percentage of people who would be interested in aftermarket ka24 parts made by reputable companies from Japan who already are famous for manufacturing parts for the sr20.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:06 AM   #20
xh3nry
Zilvia Junkie

xh3nry is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by illvialuver View Post
Xhenry-

Yeah you can drop in a sr and call it a day, but the bottom line is the motor is illegal, so that is a big factor for me when considering a engine for a street car. The ka doesn't need compression changed, it only suffers from weak ring seats, and most people who run ka-t run a semi shady re-tuned ecu, now if they had a proper stand alone and equal tuning like the sr, there wouldn't be many problems.

Then when you think of cost, you could have a built ka block and head for the cost of a bone stock sr.

I would like to mention that this thread/ poll is not to debate which is better, but to find out the percentage of people who would be interested in aftermarket ka24 parts made by reputable companies from Japan who already are famous for manufacturing parts for the sr20.
Well technically, ka-t is illegal too because it won't be able to pass smog. It would be cool to have the kat parts more readily available and at a more affordable price though. I think people would really enjoy building their own engine themself rather than swapping a motor. Its just the experience is pretty cool, you know. What i'm trying to say is that people would be less intimidated to go with the kat route.
xh3nry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:02 PM   #21
Crondy
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Crondy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would like to mention that this thread/ poll is not to debate which is better, but to find out the percentage of people who would be interested in aftermarket ka24 parts made by reputable companies from Japan who already are famous for manufacturing parts for the sr20. [/QUOTE]

yes
Crondy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #22
Gold Zenki
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
Gold Zenki is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
i freaking lovee my ka!!! most people that dissagree with them, give up on them simply because they cant build one worth a crap so rather go with something thats already put together.. also may i add, do u like torque? i have yet to ride in anything SR powered that pulls like a KA
Gold Zenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:44 PM   #23
illvialuver
Post Whore!

yes but the difference between being an illigal ka-t and an illegal sr is that with the ka, you simply swap the manifolds/ put on your stock exhuast system and injectors and ecu and you can pass inspection, you dont have to pull the whole motor. plus the sr doesnt look like the stock motor, the ka does.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:48 PM   #24
Okinawandrifter87
Post Whore!

Now I don't know if your at liberty to discuss or even shed light on this OP however, when your talking about KA24det parts are you just referring to engine parts alone or does that include tuning parts?
Old 05-22-2012, 02:49 PM   #25
AdamR
Leaky Injector

AdamR is an unknown quantity at this point
Why would I want overpriced JDM garbage for my KA?
AdamR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:57 PM   #26
Okinawandrifter87
Post Whore!

^^ AdamR , seriously? If you have nothing productive to add to this thread or on topic, then get out. If you want parts for your KA then say something along those lines. If you don't want any overpriced items but want stuff for the KA then figure out how to use your adult big boy words and re word it like " Yeah I would love Ka-t parts however I just don't want the jdm fan boi pricetag with it" So that way the OP knows there is a market out there but just due to pricing it may vary. If not then do not bother wasting your time posting in the thread if you have nothing useful.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #27
oscarsx
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
oscarsx is making his/her stupidity well-knownoscarsx is making his/her stupidity well-knownoscarsx is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okinawandrifter87 View Post
^^ AdamR , seriously? If you have nothing productive to add to this thread or on topic, then get out. If you want parts for your KA then say something along those lines. If you don't want any overpriced items but want stuff for the KA then figure out how to use your adult big boy words and re word it like " Yeah I would love Ka-t parts however I just don't want the jdm fan boi pricetag with it" So that way the OP knows there is a market out there but just due to pricing it may vary. If not then do not bother wasting your time posting in the thread if you have nothing useful.
welcome to public forums.

Sent from my DROID X2
Old 05-22-2012, 03:05 PM   #28
illvialuver
Post Whore!

engine internals/ pulleys/ valve train/turbo kits, head gaskets, manifolds, oil pans,ect.

Last edited by illvialuver; 05-22-2012 at 05:43 PM..
Old 05-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #29
AdamR
Leaky Injector

AdamR is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okinawandrifter87 View Post
What lack of parts? There are plenty of folks over on KA-T.org running many different setups. You may have to pay more for a bespoke manifold that matches what you want, but that's the nature of going with a less popular option.
Either way, a poll on Zilvia isn't going to get some JDM companies to make parts for a fringe group that is primarily cheap asses (me included.)
AdamR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:50 PM   #30
hotlavaflow
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (23)
hotlavaflow is a splendid one to beholdhotlavaflow is a splendid one to beholdhotlavaflow is a splendid one to beholdhotlavaflow is a splendid one to beholdhotlavaflow is a splendid one to beholdhotlavaflow is a splendid one to beholdhotlavaflow is a splendid one to beholdhotlavaflow is a splendid one to beholdhotlavaflow is a splendid one to beholdhotlavaflow is a splendid one to beholdhotlavaflow is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to hotlavaflow
I love my KA-T I would only swap in a VH or LS IF I had to swap it out. I have a VH sitting my garage and I'm enjoying my KA-T too much to bother with it right now.

easy to work on
comes free with the car
no rewiring
blow it up and get a new one for free to $250
get parts local
TORQUE
people with KA-T's tend to be more knowledgeable than SR people. I run into someone with a KA-T we can have an in depth conversation about motors, set-up etc. When I run into SR guys it's "that's how I got it" or "yeah I pulled the the K and dropped in this SR..... crickets" I'm not saying there aren't SR guys out there with a solid understanding of what's going on under their hood I just don't see many KA-T fanboys.

Last edited by hotlavaflow; 05-23-2012 at 07:22 AM..
hotlavaflow is offline   Reply With Quote