Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 05-12-2019, 11:12 PM   #1
Kouki1998
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Kouki1998 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s14 z32 rear brake conversion issue

so i recently did a z32 rear brake conversion on my 240 to match the set in the front and the caliper on the drivers side rear is rubbing against the rotor and i cant seem to figure out why? i rebuilt the calipers but it seems one of the caliper pistons isnt engaging fully and it isnt seized. so im thinking it is an issue with not enough pressure, will upgrading my stock BMC and brake booster resolve this issue? i have been unable to find anything on this online so i am curious if anyone has experienced something similar. (pics below)

https://i.imgur.com/VBHKyGb.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/SJ7HNQi.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/32D4jkf.jpg
Kouki1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2019, 11:14 PM   #2
nisileighty
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
nisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Did you bleed the brakes.
nisileighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:51 PM   #3
Kouki1998
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisileighty View Post
Did you bleed the brakes.
yes i bled the brakes, the rest
of my brakes are functioning perfectly except for the caliper piston on the outside on the drivers rear.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:26 PM   #4
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
if the piston isn't moving, its either seized in the bore, or you have a LOT of air in the system.

in the photos it looks like you went metal to metal on the last set of pads, and should replace that rotor.

I don't see in the photos, how the caliper would be contacting the rotor. if the caliper is indeed contacting the rotor, you must have the wrong thickness rotor somehow

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:06 PM   #5
Kouki1998
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
if the piston isn't moving, its either seized in the bore, or you have a LOT of air in the system.

in the photos it looks like you went metal to metal on the last set of pads, and should replace that rotor.

I don't see in the photos, how the caliper would be contacting the rotor. if the caliper is indeed contacting the rotor, you must have the wrong thickness rotor somehow
The piston isnt seized and i honed the caliper to make sure of this when i rebuilt it and i also bled my brakes a couple times just to rule that out. the rotor is damaged from rubbing against the inside of the caliper. i also thought i had the wrong rotor as well but i switched it with the other rotor in the rear and i am still having the same issue on the drivers rear. the passengers rear is working perfectly but the drivers rear has been consistently giving me this issue.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:56 PM   #6
thewrx

thewrx is an unknown quantity at this point
Rebuild the caliper??
thewrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:52 PM   #7
Kouki1998
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewrx View Post
Rebuild the caliper??
I already rebuilt the caliper which is why I dont understand why i am having this issue
Old 05-13-2019, 09:13 PM   #8
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouki1998 View Post
I already rebuilt the caliper which is why I dont understand why i am having this issue
Did they fit properly BEFORE you rebuilt them??? Remove the brake pads, compress the pistons 100%, then measure the gap between the pistons and the face of the rotor and make sure it’s even on the inboard and outboard sides.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:23 PM   #9
feito
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Zip ties and brakes are a big NO NO.
I dont think they are backwards. You have them installed with the bleeders on top, right?
While bleeding them, how does the fluid flow compare to the opposite side?
Old 05-13-2019, 09:55 PM   #10
Kouki1998
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Did they fit properly BEFORE you rebuilt them??? Remove the brake pads, compress the pistons 100%, then measure the gap between the pistons and the face of the rotor and make sure it’s even on the inboard and outboard sides.
no i rebuilt them in hopes of fixing the issue, but i will go ahead and try this and see what i come up with
Old 05-13-2019, 10:04 PM   #11
Kouki1998
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by feito View Post
Zip ties and brakes are a big NO NO.
I dont think they are backwards. You have them installed with the bleeders on top, right?
While bleeding them, how does the fluid flow compare to the opposite side?
they are not installed backwards and the bleeders are on top on each side, and i do not remember i bled them like 2 weeks ago but i will go ahead and try it again to see what happens. and the zipties are for the stock ebrake cables that i didnt get the chance to remove. they pose no danger and are ziptied to the bracket on the caliper for the time being until i get the chance to remove them. if i have a lot more/less brake fluid coming out of the damaged caliper what will this signify?
Old 05-13-2019, 10:11 PM   #12
feito
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
clogged up line or bleeder.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:08 PM   #13
Kouki1998
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by feito View Post
clogged up line or bleeder.
i did not consider this but it could be possible since the old stock caliper was seized which is why i did a brake conversion. i bought new isr lines for the calipers but how would i go about checking/cleaning the stock brake line? fluid was flowing through it and it didnt look dirty
Old 05-17-2019, 11:44 PM   #14
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
If you had a bunch of rust form around the hub centric ring on the hub it would not allow the rotor to sit fully flush. It almost seems that was since i can see a gap around where that little hole is on the rotor
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:52 PM   #15
Jfornachon
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
Jfornachon is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
What did you ever find out on this issue?

Have a great day,
jared
Jfornachon is offline   Reply With Quote