Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 01-22-2018, 05:52 PM   #1
DemonS13

Trader Rating: (0)
DemonS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
RB converted S13 failing under boost.

Hi Everyone,

I’m not one to ever post on forums, however the car has finally beaten me and I decided why not? I will put a bit of history down so you know what I am dealing with.

A couple of months ago my car was stolen and recovered with a blown engine (head gasket) and I replaced it with the same, RB25DET Series 2. Nothing fancy, just running stock Ecu, turbo, boost etc. 70 000kms clean. However I have no real history. Engine came from an automatic in Japan.

This car is a daily and has been running okay for the last two months without major drama. I have a slight issue at the moment as my thermo fans currently run off of the fuel pump circuit, which means when they come on I have hunting issues etc. nothing that affects the car majorly. This car has happily driven through city traffic, a 4 hot round trip plus more with little problem, and I have a new controller waiting for the time to put in.

I go via the highway to work and this morning ( driving fine at this point, no thermos yet as it was a cold morning) went onto the on ramp in 3rd, went to power on and as soon as the engine came under boost, it felt like the car was braking. Turbo spools fine, but as soon as full boost comes on, car once again feels like it is braking. (It isn’t, but that is the feeling, like a pulling and the idle turns really choppy). Also Black smoke from exhaust, may be over fueling but wasn’t before this. Car does this run same every day, was not under stress.

Got to work fine ( as last long as not under boost, car drives fine) it is currently sitting out the front of my work, but was wondering if anyone had ideas on where to begin. Unplugged the MAF and it cuts out, haven’t tested coil packs yet. Fuel pump coming on as usual, and I checked to see if hoses have come off, all secure.

Cheers.
DemonS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2018, 09:20 PM   #2
DemonS13

Trader Rating: (0)
DemonS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
All good. Finally had a chance to fully go over the car. Intercooler pipe had a crack in it causing epic boost leak when turbo came on. Didn’t notice before because the clamps were done up tight. Once again car beats me with stupid thing.
DemonS13 is offline   Reply With Quote