Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-07-2023, 07:21 PM   #1
Carbonsnail

Trader Rating: (0)
Carbonsnail is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Power Steering Rack from Walmart

Does anyone know about the quality of S13 steering racks that Walmart or Orielly's Auto Parts sell or can you suggest a place where I can buy one at a good price? Thank you.
Carbonsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2023, 10:06 PM   #2
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I've bought from oreilly before... its all remanned... if it leaks you can always bring it back
Old 03-07-2023, 10:40 PM   #3
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
if you havent trashed your rack via drifting... you can have it rebuilt easily. had mine done in 2019 and has worked like a champ leak free since.

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 08:30 AM   #4
CaptainVlad
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
CaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Where did you get it rebuilt? I have a HICAS rack and I know if I wanted to keep it the only way is to rebuild it.
CaptainVlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 09:49 PM   #5
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainVlad View Post
Where did you get it rebuilt? I have a HICAS rack and I know if I wanted to keep it the only way is to rebuild it.
local shop that didnt survive the scamdemic. they had been around for 20-30 odd years too. really sad.

if you havent stripped the insides very drifting and what not... finding a shop who can rebuild the rack isnt difficult. its a fairly straight forward thing.

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 06:49 AM   #6
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
I've bought from oreilly before... its all remanned... if it leaks you can always bring it back
The ones you can buy at auto parts chains aren't remans anymore, they're actually new. It's pretty funny, every store has their own, sometimes multiple brands of steering racks, but they are all obviously coming from one supplier because they all started showing remans as perpetually out of stock a year or two ago and offering new racks.

But like you said they have a warranty and you can take it back/send it back if it sucks...
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 09:05 AM   #7
Rustys14
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
Rustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I've never used the reman racks, but I have used the new aftermarket racks in 2 separate cars over the years and never had an issue. They make HICAS and non-HICAS versions, I had one of each and both were fine and held up to a ton of drifting and abuse.
Rustys14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 02:15 PM   #8
Carbonsnail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustys14 View Post
I've never used the reman racks, but I have used the new aftermarket racks in 2 separate cars over the years and never had an issue. They make HICAS and non-HICAS versions, I had one of each and both were fine and held up to a ton of drifting and abuse.
Are you referring to the Walmart or Oreilly rack? Thank you.
Old 03-10-2023, 09:01 PM   #9
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonsnail View Post
99% chance they're the same.
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 07:05 AM   #10
Rustys14
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
Rustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonsnail View Post
I got one from the auto parts store (might have been Oreilly. I can't remember but it was from one of the big 3) and the second one from eBay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKADriver View Post
99% chance they're the same.
^^^ Pretty much this, you can tell by the construction that they're all being sourced from the same manufacture. If you care about the warranty or are in a pinch I would get one from the local chain store but eBay/RockAuto usually has them for a bit cheaper in my experience.

Last edited by Rustys14; 03-13-2023 at 09:19 AM.. Reason: Clarity
Rustys14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 06:51 PM   #11
Carbonsnail

Thank you very much for your responses. You've been a great help.