Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:09 PM   #91
nvrplzd240
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
nvrplzd240 has much to be proud ofnvrplzd240 has much to be proud ofnvrplzd240 has much to be proud ofnvrplzd240 has much to be proud ofnvrplzd240 has much to be proud ofnvrplzd240 has much to be proud ofnvrplzd240 has much to be proud ofnvrplzd240 has much to be proud ofnvrplzd240 has much to be proud ofnvrplzd240 has much to be proud ofnvrplzd240 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to nvrplzd240
Quote:
Originally Posted by DALAZ_68 View Post
not something huge...but its sometimes the lil things that help
I can't agree more. My CA was overheating like a mofo until I got my Mishimoto. She's been cool ever since then and I've never had a cooling problem. GREAT investment.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:54 PM   #92
StopSnitchin

StopSnitchin is an unknown quantity at this point
hey can someone tell me which oil pan I can use? a friend is looking to replace his
Old 12-18-2007, 10:12 PM   #93
Ca_laurier
Zilvia Junkie

Ca_laurier is a name known to allCa_laurier is a name known to allCa_laurier is a name known to allCa_laurier is a name known to allCa_laurier is a name known to allCa_laurier is a name known to allCa_laurier is a name known to allCa_laurier is a name known to allCa_laurier is a name known to allCa_laurier is a name known to allCa_laurier is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by StopSnitchin View Post
hey can someone tell me which oil pan I can use? a friend is looking to replace his
how badly is it damaged?? finding a new pan is hard

best bet is to hammer out the dents
Ca_laurier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:49 AM   #94
SusanR34
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
SusanR34 is a name known to allSusanR34 is a name known to allSusanR34 is a name known to allSusanR34 is a name known to allSusanR34 is a name known to allSusanR34 is a name known to allSusanR34 is a name known to allSusanR34 is a name known to allSusanR34 is a name known to allSusanR34 is a name known to allSusanR34 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SusanR34
Masf

Can you use an SR? Is there any other application that will work?
Old 01-10-2008, 03:26 AM   #95
180tricksx

180tricksx is an unknown quantity at this point
hey thanx for posting a list of parts for CA. u guys rock!!!
180tricksx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:35 AM   #96
CA-mazing

CA-mazing is an unknown quantity at this point
well guys I just want to get as many opinions as I can....I'm not exactly new to the scene but this will be my first project 240 I will be doing. I want to go with the CA just cuz to me it seems it is not as widely modified/used period for any 240/silvia project. So in a way I want to get it for it's rareness of being seen and the fact it has a cast iron block. The motor would cost me $1500, very reasonable I think: harness, transmission, ecu, maf, ignitor. But they also offer the RB20 at $1500 also, same deal: harness, transmission, ecu, maf, ignitor. Eventually I plan for a 450-500HP engine either way I go. Which do guys feel I should with? (I know there is some biasis involved, but just want ya'lls opinions)
CA-mazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:01 AM   #97
Maxstyle
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
Maxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
I love my CA. It has this bulky feel that CA's and RB's have with the iron block. It has been quite a test of my patience. I'll be running my HKS 264 cams in a bit and it has changed everything I origanally had in mind. Sometimes you even have to source products in England and Aust. Really evaluate you options. Make a list of all the parts you will need on day for both motors. Then begin searching for where to get them and prices on internet. Do not intend to buy from Manufactures directly. Like Boss Auto Product has awsome products for CA18 but how would you get them from Japan. No one here really distributes. And if someone can get it for you. There will be charges to tack on that cuz they are entitiled to make a bit of profit too. Good luck with your project. hope to see you around here more often.
Maxstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 01:07 PM   #98
CA-mazing

CA-mazing is an unknown quantity at this point
well see the thing is, I would love to put it together myself, but I neither have the time nor another vehicle drive while i'm building the engine up. So I've talked with JGYCustoms.com, and they're the guys I'm going through to build the CA. I would build the RB up also, but I feel the parts would more expensive. But a couple parts would more expensive for the CA b/c they told me they would be shipping parts in from Aus. and the pistons and cams would basically be a custom job b/c of the rareness of this engine being modified. And you said that it has tested your patience? Do you mean just like lil things that go wrong or just the way the engine is setup? Cuz another reason why I wanted the CA is b/c it fits so perfect in the S13 and you have sooo much room to work with.(from what i've seen in pics.).
CA-mazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:59 PM   #99
DALAZ_68
not giving a fuck

Trader Rating: (104)
DALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 104 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DALAZ_68 Send a message via Yahoo to DALAZ_68
My CA rocks

only things i will tell u is...even if ur doing a stock CA swap... FMIC>SMIC

secondly...upgrade the turbo...i still rock my puny T25 (whihc in fact is smaller than the T25 on the SR's and am going to upgrade to a T28 from a Spec R s15 soon hopefully...

but i should say this isnt the thread fo rthis deiscussion...sorry to be the jerk, even though i did add my .02 lol

CLUB LEXUS : Wh0pp3r
DALAZ_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 05:29 PM   #100
DALAZ_68
not giving a fuck

DALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfection
any one verify any of the water pumps for this car...i need to know ASAP...thank you

Old 04-11-2008, 06:11 PM   #101
stealthj
Zilvia Junkie

stealthj is making a name for him/her selfstealthj is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to stealthj
if i remember correctly, the ca18de water pump (pulsar-nx) should be a perfect fit for the jdm ca18det, any confirmation on this? i havnt had a ca18 for about 4 yrs now i want another 240sx! 300ZX for sale!!!!!!!!
Old 04-14-2008, 01:00 AM   #102
DALAZ_68
not giving a fuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthj View Post
if i remember correctly, the ca18de water pump (pulsar-nx) should be a perfect fit for the jdm ca18det, any confirmation on this? i havnt had a ca18 for about 4 yrs now i want another 240sx! 300ZX for sale!!!!!!!!
actually after some research...the FWD pulsar WP is not good...different pressure from the turbo...teh proper fit for the CA18DET in California is a WP from a 86 200sx 1.8L

the radius of the center of the pulley mounting area on the pump is different. FWD+RWD or RWD+FWD leads to exploding pumps.

just a heads up for those that needs info ...thank u N-i-c-0

part number in the Autozone code list is AWP-692

Old 04-19-2008, 05:46 PM   #103
DALAZ_68
not giving a fuck

my Water pump and Timing belt walk thru

http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=187560

Old 05-05-2008, 10:26 PM   #104
Canadian_S13

Canadian_S13 is an unknown quantity at this point
ok, I am having a big problem with my CA18DET. I have a exhaust leak coming from one of the gaskets from my turbo, forgot which one right now, not a huge deal....so I thought. I wasn't going to fix it because I have a new manifold and also a turbo on the way, I can deal with the loud exhaust noise. So everything is put back together and now after driving it for a couple of minutes it will studder, shake, jolt like nobody's business. I'll be cruising in 3rd or 4th it doesn't matter which gear and after a couple of km, stop turn around, it then sounds as if the engine is turned off, then loud exhaust leak noise with the jolt forward, shutter and shake, engine lights comes on sometimes but shuts off. One I get to higher RPM(over 3700) it doesn't do it that much. After we turn the car off think about, try something, it runs fine for a couple of km then it starts to act up. All we did was tighten the down pipe bolts because they were loose. So we losened them a bit, just undoing what we fixed and...well by no surprise nothing changed. Please help me out here!!!!
Canadian_S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 07:44 PM   #105
superJoy
Leaky Injector

superJoy is a glorious beacon of lightsuperJoy is a glorious beacon of lightsuperJoy is a glorious beacon of lightsuperJoy is a glorious beacon of lightsuperJoy is a glorious beacon of lightsuperJoy is a glorious beacon of lightsuperJoy is a glorious beacon of lightsuperJoy is a glorious beacon of lightsuperJoy is a glorious beacon of lightsuperJoy is a glorious beacon of lightsuperJoy is a glorious beacon of light
Just replaced my power steering pump so I thought I'd add some info here.

Do NOT get an 85 200SX Turbo (CA18ET) pump. The DET pulley will not fit.
Do NOT get an 88 Pulsar NX SE (CA18DE) pump. It's mounted on the other side of the engine due to being in a FWD platform, and will be upside down on a DET.

Get a 91 240SX (KA24DE) pump.

It fits the CA bracket AND tensioner AND pulley. The KA tensioner looks like it could work too, I just didn't bother since the CA one fit. I swapped the low pressure hose fitting over from my CA pump, but the KA one is usable if you just reroute the hose. Also, I used the KA banjo fitting thingie so it would be all OEM and stuff. You can see it in the second pic. It did require hacking off part of the CA bracket (you can see my crappy job with a hacksaw in pics lol), or you can use KA bracket or you can just use the stock CA set-up or whatever. It doesn't really matter. THE KA24DE PUMP WORKS

~~~pics~~~

Notes:

Replace copper crush washers if you don't want leaks at the high pressure joints. KA fitting-to-pump banjo bolt requires M18 copper crush, easy size to get at parts stores because they're used as oil drain plug washers. The banjo bolt connecting the high pressure line to fitting requires M16, which I couldn't find locally. BUT Harbor Freight sells a copper wash assortment that has an imperial size that interchanges. Like 6.99$ for a whole set. Go for it.

Also, be sure to use Dexron ATF in the power steering system. This is what Nissan specifies in the FSM.

My stock belt fit with CA pulley, tensioner, and KA pump. Don't know if stock belt will fit with KA tensioner, didn't try it.

But yeah. If your power steering pump goes out on your CA18DET, get a KA24DE one.
superJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:50 PM   #106
Canadian_S13

Canadian_S13 is an unknown quantity at this point
I need to purchase exhaust manifold bolts/studs since I have to yank my manifold off. Is there any cross-over parts that I can use instead of trying to order the factory ones through Nissan which will have to come from Japan.... I need these ASAP!
Canadian_S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:21 PM   #107
DALAZ_68
not giving a fuck

u could try autozone or somehting..CA18DE from a 88 pulsar should be the ame shit

Old 07-05-2008, 08:02 PM   #108
da_grey_s13
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
da_grey_s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to da_grey_s13 Send a message via Yahoo to da_grey_s13
do you have to use an aftermarket turbo elbow or a stock SR elbow when using an SR t28??

i tried to use my stock CA elbow but it is hitting the side of the bell housing

for what its worth, i have the xs power ex manifold
Old 08-13-2008, 09:16 PM   #109
Slammed180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
Slammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_grey_s13 View Post
do you have to use an aftermarket turbo elbow or a stock SR elbow when using an SR t28??

i tried to use my stock CA elbow but it is hitting the side of the bell housing

for what its worth, i have the xs power ex manifold
No you don't need an A/M turbo elbow. It's your manifold that's causing that.

I didn't see this anywhere so I'll post it up here for people to reference.
CA18DET FSM:
http://www.rezlo.com/Pages/FSM/Files...A18DET_FSM.pdf

Also a link to most other Nissan engines:
RAW FSM

Ans here's a pic of my CA, patiently waiting to be dropped into my 180SX.

Yes, it's a Tomei Genesis Phase 2 complete motor.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:35 PM   #110
DALAZ_68
not giving a fuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammed180 View Post
No you don't need an A/M turbo elbow. It's your manifold that's causing that.

I didn't see this anywhere so I'll post it up here for people to reference.
CA18DET FSM:
http://www.rezlo.com/Pages/FSM/Files...A18DET_FSM.pdf

Also a link to most other Nissan engines:
RAW FSM

Ans here's a pic of my CA, patiently waiting to be dropped into my 180SX.

Yes, it's a Tomei Genesis Phase 2 complete motor.
DAMN YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

how much did that pretty thing cost yah

Old 08-13-2008, 10:42 PM   #111
Slammed180
Zilvia FREAK!

Slammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of light
I got it for a steal.
ummmm *cough$3000cdncough*
Old 08-14-2008, 05:11 PM   #112
DALAZ_68
not giving a fuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammed180 View Post
I got it for a steal.
ummmm *cough$3000cdncough*
i8 should - rep ur ass....

congrats....PM me the specs will yah

Old 09-02-2008, 04:03 PM   #113
HillaBean13
Zilvia Member

HillaBean13 is close to perfectionHillaBean13 is close to perfectionHillaBean13 is close to perfectionHillaBean13 is close to perfectionHillaBean13 is close to perfectionHillaBean13 is close to perfectionHillaBean13 is close to perfectionHillaBean13 is close to perfectionHillaBean13 is close to perfectionHillaBean13 is close to perfectionHillaBean13 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to HillaBean13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DALAZ_68 View Post
i8 should - rep ur ass....

congrats....PM me the specs will yah

i have a CA in my car and it owns mine is the baby of all the boys a ca is just like a baby RB hahah yay u have to come to pipline when i debut it!!!
Old 09-28-2008, 02:20 AM   #114
2wo4orty
Leaky Injector

2wo4orty is an unknown quantity at this point
is there a different ignitor chip i can use besides the ca18det one
2wo4orty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:47 PM   #115
BlueKpS13
Zilvia Member

BlueKpS13 is a name known to allBlueKpS13 is a name known to allBlueKpS13 is a name known to allBlueKpS13 is a name known to allBlueKpS13 is a name known to allBlueKpS13 is a name known to allBlueKpS13 is a name known to allBlueKpS13 is a name known to allBlueKpS13 is a name known to allBlueKpS13 is a name known to allBlueKpS13 is a name known to all
anybody know where to find and OEM CA18det harness? new or used? thanks
BlueKpS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:13 PM   #116
DALAZ_68
not giving a fuck

still searching for an adapter plate for the oil temp and press gauge

Old 12-12-2008, 09:53 PM   #117
chadca18s13
Leaky Injector

chadca18s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
has anyone had to go thru the hicas pwr steerin pump in a non hicas s13? ive got the ka24de pump, im pretty sure i can get it to fit in the Ca hicas bracket, but the Ca pulley has a notch in the female part and the ka pump uses a spline.the Ka pulley wont work as it has 2 teeth and the engine side of the belt is 3 teeth

HELP
chadca18s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 02:23 PM   #118
sLiDewAys
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
sLiDewAys is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I am glad to see that you guys are keeping this post alive! still tuning and purchasing the ca18 you guys really give the new generation hope for an alternate engine swap besides sr/rb! good job guys
Old 12-30-2008, 07:30 PM   #119
Shmex
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (6)
Shmex is close to perfectionShmex is close to perfectionShmex is close to perfectionShmex is close to perfectionShmex is close to perfectionShmex is close to perfectionShmex is close to perfectionShmex is close to perfectionShmex is close to perfectionShmex is close to perfectionShmex is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Shmex
Wow. Thanx for the very useful info. Esp. Cuz I didn't notice that the inlets for the ka and ca rads are the same. Damn brand new mishi going on with brand new fans. Sweet don't have to sell em.

What's the choice of sparkplugs? Any specific recoomendations on one kind? Thanx.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:38 PM   #120
DALAZ_68
not giving a fuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmex View Post
Wow. Thanx for the very useful info. Esp. Cuz I didn't notice that the inlets for the ka and ca rads are the same. Damn brand new mishi going on with brand new fans. Sweet don't have to sell em.

What's the choice of sparkplugs? Any specific recoomendations on one kind? Thanx.

http://zilvia.net/f/engine-tech/6622...tml#post589869