Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-24-2006, 05:25 PM   #31
usdm180sx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
usdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to usdm180sx Send a message via Yahoo to usdm180sx
Yeah the VPro has like 4 maps so in the future I'll do another dyno tune for race gas.

usdm180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2006, 10:46 AM   #32
s13envy
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
s13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to s13envy Send a message via AIM to s13envy Send a message via MSN to s13envy Send a message via Yahoo to s13envy
I'm using the .86 but unfortunately haven't had it to the dyno just yet. Although with my previous setup I was able to do a 11.59 @ 114 in the 1/4. That was with an FP Big28. My new best with the current setup is 11.011@125 (actually lifted due to misfiring). Previous dyno on the FP turbo showed 339hp & 361 torque. If I had to guess I would say I'm over 400hp and 400trq. But thats just a guess.

Modifications:

S13 redtop SR
GT2871R
AEM Tru-Boost gauge/controller
Megan Racing Turbo Manifold
Z32 MAF
Nismo 555cc Injectors
Enthalpy Tuned ECU
HKS 264 Step 2 cams
Comp Cam Springs
Cometic Headgasket
ARP headstuds
Greddy Rocker Arm Stoppers
HKS intake
Hybridynamics intake pipe
s13envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 07:06 PM   #33
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Anyone have any updates on this? Specifically with the .86? I should be on the dyno within the next month or so and Im looking to see which cam is best suited for this turbine.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:37 PM   #34
Paul2x
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
Paul2x has a reputation beyond reputePaul2x has a reputation beyond reputePaul2x has a reputation beyond reputePaul2x has a reputation beyond reputePaul2x has a reputation beyond reputePaul2x has a reputation beyond reputePaul2x has a reputation beyond reputePaul2x has a reputation beyond reputePaul2x has a reputation beyond reputePaul2x has a reputation beyond reputePaul2x has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Paul2x
What about compairing the 2871r .64 to the 2871GT-RS style.....any power difference?

I know the GTRS style is a direct bolt on but will the 2871r (non-gtrs style) make more hp?

Professional Driver/ Instructor for Hire
Paul2x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 07:09 PM   #35
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEEWON
Anyone have any updates on this? Specifically with the .86? I should be on the dyno within the next month or so and Im looking to see which cam is best suited for this turbine.

JWT S4 cams.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:39 AM   #36
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Hey Cody, Havnt seen you on either forums for a while. I was really looking into the S4 cams, or the BC 264 intake/ 272 exhaust cams. You are running S4 cams correct? Can you give me any feedback on thier specs and performance. For instance how is drivability, idle, etc?
Old 04-18-2007, 08:00 AM   #37
codyace
Post Whore!

codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Quote:
Hey Cody, Havnt seen you on either forums for a while. I was really looking into the S4 cams, or the BC 264 intake/ 272 exhaust cams. You are running S4 cams correct? Can you give me any feedback on thier specs and performance. For instance how is drivability, idle, etc?

I'm actually using JWT s3 cams, as I have a slightly smaller turbo, and was looking for the best mid range cam I could find for my HPDE driving. Idle is fine at stock 850, but for the most part it's suggested that you bump the idle up via IACV to about 925-950. When you order JWT ECU's, and you have their cams, you can actually ask for their S3 / S4 / S5 idle program to compensate.

The S4 cams however are better suited to your larger, .86 housing turbo, as it's more of a upper mid end to top end camshaft. Would S3's work? Yes, and well, but S4's IMO are better suited for the 2871r .86 and larger turbos, with the S3's being better for the 2871r .64, 28rs, and smaller series turbos (but they too work ok with larger ones.)

It's a trade off, but not in a bad way Either way you go will be good, but I tend to think S4's are just better per that application.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
Old 04-18-2007, 08:18 AM   #38
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

That makes sense. What do you think about the Crower cams. The price is great and I was thinking of going 272 exhaust and 264 intake. The s4 cams are comparable to 264's right? or is it 272's?

Hey we missed you at the 240 meet. We are havning another one in May, maybe this time it wont rain. It would be nice to see your car in person.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:04 AM   #39
Wahl 136
BANNED

Wahl 136 is a name known to allWahl 136 is a name known to allWahl 136 is a name known to allWahl 136 is a name known to allWahl 136 is a name known to allWahl 136 is a name known to allWahl 136 is a name known to allWahl 136 is a name known to allWahl 136 is a name known to allWahl 136 is a name known to allWahl 136 is a name known to all
Quote:
I was thinking of going 272 exhaust and 264 intake.
I have HKS Step 2 272 EX 264 IN cams, with a 2871 .86. I'm waiting on my head work and block to get back from the machine shop so I haven't tuned or dynoed yet. I know I've read in prior posts that this combination will have a smoother power band with torque that levels off at a highier RPM.
Wahl 136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:43 AM   #40
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Great. Make sure you post when you get everything together. Very interested in seeing your results even if its a butt dyno.

I just noticed you live in lancaster, are you going to Nico fest in Carlise next month?
Old 04-18-2007, 01:26 PM   #41
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
That makes sense. What do you think about the Crower cams. The price is great and I was thinking of going 272 exhaust and 264 intake. The s4 cams are comparable to 264's right? or is it 272's?
I don't have any input on BC cams, nor do I know enough results from the forum to give you an opinion them.

With that said however, I will say that JWT puts THE MOST time, effort, and research into Cam design and testing, and offers a product that is superior to all. The downfall of them is their cost, but it's a cost that's well worth it. I hope to someday be able to step up to a C series cam

Quote:
Hey we missed you at the 240 meet. We are havning another one in May, maybe this time it wont rain. It would be nice to see your car in person.
Certainly! keep my informed!

Old 04-18-2007, 09:01 PM   #42
DrifterProdigy85
Leaky Injector

DrifterProdigy85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to DrifterProdigy85

This is 2871R .86. Runs were at 14psi, 16psi, and 19psi. Running HKS 264 Step 1 Cams and Greddy Intake Manifold. Clutch was slipping pretty bad on the 16psi and 19psi runs. I'll be redynoing Sunday with new Clutch, Flywheel, and Brian Crower 264 Cams. Ill post the new graph when i get it.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:09 PM   #43
Wahl 136
BANNED

Wahl 136 is a name known to allWahl 136 is a name known to allWahl 136 is a name known to allWahl 136 is a name known to allWahl 136 is a name known to allWahl 136 is a name known to allWahl 136 is a name known to allWahl 136 is a name known to allWahl 136 is a name known to allWahl 136 is a name known to allWahl 136 is a name known to all
Quote:
Great. Make sure you post when you get everything together. Very interested in seeing your results even if its a butt dyno.

I just noticed you live in lancaster, are you going to Nico fest in Carlise next month?

Only if it's on ESPN I'm 2000 miles from there!
Old 04-22-2007, 04:16 PM   #44
DrifterProdigy85
Leaky Injector

Heres my Dyno Run on the 2871R .86 today @ 16-17psi. I wanted to dyno around 19psi but was having some issues trying to do so.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:51 PM   #45
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrifterProdigy85 View Post

Heres my Dyno Run on the 2871R .86 today @ 16-17psi. I wanted to dyno around 19psi but was having some issues trying to do so.
let me guess crappy internal gate being a PITA to work with?
Old 04-22-2007, 06:14 PM   #46
DrifterProdigy85
Leaky Injector

I think that too. Im really debating on Swapping to a T3 .63 housing and going Top Mount with 38 or 44mm External Gate. Anyone know of an actuator the same design as the 2871R one to upgrade too?
Old 04-22-2007, 07:39 PM   #47
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve shadows View Post
let me guess crappy internal gate being a PITA to work with?
I dunno why these guys have such a problem with internal gates and the creep issues....I NEVER had any issue with it (except when it would get like 25 degrees out it may creep a 1 psi) with my car or any of the sentras....

Quote:
I think that too. Im really debating on Swapping to a T3 .63 housing and going Top Mount with 38 or 44mm External Gate. Anyone know of an actuator the same design as the 2871R one to upgrade too?
The HKS one works as a replacement for the Garrett unit...

Old 04-22-2007, 08:41 PM   #48
DrifterProdigy85
Leaky Injector

Ill try to mount the HKS actuator next time i remove the turbo assembly. Earlier in the day i blew a IC pipe off and then fixed it before dynoing so it could have messed with the boost settings a bit on the AVCR. Theres another dyno in a few weeks. Ill do what i can to get 19-20psi to hold and redyno. Id love to see 400whp but i think its pushing the 2871R alot. Id rather have a GT30R to be honest.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:51 PM   #49
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Ill try to mount the HKS actuator next time i remove the turbo assembly. Earlier in the day i blew a IC pipe off and then fixed it before dynoing so it could have messed with the boost settings a bit on the AVCR. Theres another dyno in a few weeks. Ill do what i can to get 19-20psi to hold and redyno. Id love to see 400whp but i think its pushing the 2871R alot. Id rather have a GT30R to be honest.
I don't think 400 whp is much for the 2871rs....they're still effecient at that 20 psi airflow level, and offer response that you can't find anywhere in larger turbos.

I guess growing up in a v8 house has spoiled me...I could never own a turbo car that doesn't make 300 ft lbs at 3500/4k....

Old 04-25-2007, 06:02 AM   #50
s13envy
Zilvia Junkie

s13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nice
Send a message via ICQ to s13envy Send a message via AIM to s13envy Send a message via MSN to s13envy Send a message via Yahoo to s13envy
I recently dyno'd my 2871R and got 378hp and 312trq with a slipping clutch and only 1 bolt holding the turbo on (yes I said one bolt) I had a habit of checking them every so often but I thought I finally go the problem fixed...i guess not. I dyno'd 353hp and 278trq at 15psi. (btw, these were done on a dyno jet) I know I'm making more power than I put down b/c I've been to the track twice before the dyno and I'm running .4-.5 slower in the 1/4. Last year I was able to pull a 11.0 @ 125....best I've got this year as been a 11.4 @ 122. I'm thinking alot of power is lost from the air leaking out between the manifold and the turbo and also some power lost from the clutch not letting it get back to the rear tires....

got a rps 6puck, fidanza flywheel coming, and I will be putting the other 3 bolts back in the turbo and may hit up the dyno again.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:47 AM   #51
Wahl 136
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13envy View Post
I recently dyno'd my 2871R and got 378hp and 312trq with a slipping clutch and only 1 bolt holding the turbo on (yes I said one bolt) I had a habit of checking them every so often but I thought I finally go the problem fixed...i guess not. I dyno'd 353hp and 278trq at 15psi. (btw, these were done on a dyno jet) I know I'm making more power than I put down b/c I've been to the track twice before the dyno and I'm running .4-.5 slower in the 1/4. Last year I was able to pull a 11.0 @ 125....best I've got this year as been a 11.4 @ 122. I'm thinking alot of power is lost from the air leaking out between the manifold and the turbo and also some power lost from the clutch not letting it get back to the rear tires....

got a rps 6puck, fidanza flywheel coming, and I will be putting the other 3 bolts back in the turbo and may hit up the dyno again.
So the nuts on the maifold all fell out leaving only 1 holding it in place??
Old 04-30-2007, 06:17 AM   #52
s13envy
Zilvia Junkie

haha, yes. I had a problem keeping them on for a while and used to check them quite oftem but i had seemed to have gotten rid of that problem so i quit checking them. I guess I didn't get rid of the problem
Old 04-30-2007, 03:25 PM   #53
hellion240sx
Zilvia FREAK!

hellion240sx will become famous soon enoughhellion240sx will become famous soon enoughhellion240sx will become famous soon enoughhellion240sx will become famous soon enough
s13 envy when are you going to redyno? with all the bolts to see if your numbers change? i'm guessing the low torque is from the slipping clutch?
hellion240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:14 PM   #54
s13envy
Zilvia Junkie

i was wondering about the trq being so low as well. I dont know if it was actually slipping on the dyno or not. I would guess so, but *shrugs* I dont know when I'll get back to the dyno. Don't realy have the money to spend right now. I will let you know when I do though.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:11 PM   #55
mcdonne32004
Leaky Injector

mcdonne32004 is on a distinguished road
s13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEEWON View Post

just had b/c (264) cams installed on my sr, they're bad ass, my topend is a lot faster then it was and the idle is still rock solid with a little cam loop after it warms up. idle is at 750. i'll be going to rt tuning in the coming weeks to see what #'s it puts down. anyone interested it a dyno day?
mcdonne32004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:35 PM   #56
DrifterProdigy85
Leaky Injector

Id be interested in a dyno day but RT Tuning is a far drive for me.

S13Envy, I think your low torque is just from the 15psi boost. From your 15psi numbers, it doesnt seem like torque was dropping any. Post up the dyno. If the clutch was slipping, then youll have similar torque curves like my Dynapack graph above. It hits peak then slips really bad which shows the torque dropping. With a new clutch, i ended up making 25whp at the same boost because the torque was able to hold solid to redline. We both probably make around the same HP numbers. Ill let you know on track times since ill be going this friday. I wont be in any 11 second range but im hoping for trap speeds in the 120-125mph area. Alots gonna depend on if i get my boost leaks fixed to run 20psi. Otherwise ill be stuck down around 16-17psi.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:01 AM   #57
s13envy
Zilvia Junkie

i did 312trq at something like 24lbs....did 278trq at my 15lbs pull. here is the dyno sheet. Dont mind the AFRs too much...I ran open downpipe and they couldn't keep the probe in the exhaust. It actualy shot out and hit the wall on one of the runs. I've never seen anything over low 12 AFR's on my wideband...maybe my wideband is getting old...I know I could use some bigger injectors for sure. Btw, the runs were done with unleaded 104 octane.

Old 05-02-2007, 01:24 PM   #58
hellion240sx
Zilvia FREAK!

hellion240sx will become famous soon enoughhellion240sx will become famous soon enoughhellion240sx will become famous soon enoughhellion240sx will become famous soon enough
wow thats nice! please keep us updated on the next dyno sessions. i want the .86 turbo myself. so i want to see what its (proven) capable of.
hellion240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:07 PM   #59
DrifterProdigy85
Leaky Injector

Definitly doesnt look like your clutch was slipping. Whats your Exhaust and Cam setup?
Old 05-02-2007, 11:15 PM   #60
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Definitly doesnt look like your clutch was slipping. Whats your Exhaust and Cam setup?
Totally agree. For 24 psi, that is a very weak dyno. Either it's reading low, or there are stock cams in there....