Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-26-2020, 09:26 AM   #1
Santeekid79

Trader Rating: (0)
Santeekid79 is a splendid one to beholdSanteekid79 is a splendid one to beholdSanteekid79 is a splendid one to beholdSanteekid79 is a splendid one to beholdSanteekid79 is a splendid one to beholdSanteekid79 is a splendid one to beholdSanteekid79 is a splendid one to beholdSanteekid79 is a splendid one to beholdSanteekid79 is a splendid one to beholdSanteekid79 is a splendid one to beholdSanteekid79 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I am new here!!

Just doing what is asked of me while i am a newbie.just bought my 1st 240sx 89 and goung to try to start today and was wondering if anyone had any advice on special things i might do or not do during this process . the car is sohc ka all basic and stock which is unbelievable in itself right? But any info will help my name is brendon i live in vegas and if u are near me hit me up and we can meet up ect.
Santeekid79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2020, 10:24 AM   #2
Silv1401
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Silv1401 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Welcome to the money pit club, Brendon. First tip would be general maintenance, and then start looking at suspension. Wouldn't bother wasting any money on a sohc ka, so save up for a dohc or sr, or any other 20+ engine options people manage to stuff in these chassises.

Oh another tip, Zilvians can be notoriously unhelpful, and point you to the 'search function'. It's cause we all have big brains and can't be bothered by trivial pursuits :wink:

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Silv1401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:25 PM   #3
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (26)
SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SupaDoopa
Single cam and stock isn't always a rarity here - it staying that way that would be rare.

First thing being first, I'd check the frame rails and rust situation because due to it's age, it's probably lingering even though you're from the dry desert. There is also a local drift series local to you called Vegas Drift. I'd also join their Facebook page and introduce yourself. A lot of cool guys come out of that region of the country and they're quite knowledgable as well.
SupaDoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 05:22 PM   #4
Santeekid79

Santeekid79 is a splendid one to beholdSanteekid79 is a splendid one to beholdSanteekid79 is a splendid one to beholdSanteekid79 is a splendid one to beholdSanteekid79 is a splendid one to beholdSanteekid79 is a splendid one to beholdSanteekid79 is a splendid one to beholdSanteekid79 is a splendid one to beholdSanteekid79 is a splendid one to beholdSanteekid79 is a splendid one to beholdSanteekid79 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the info on the local scene ill check them out ...but as far as the first post about suspension u r right this car looks like a roller skate ha ha but soon enough it will be dialed in!!! Next question is where do i source a 5 lug conversion from ???? Is there a few cars or do i have to order that ??? I m thinking its a junk yard thing or second hand part also if any one has the basic list of upgrades i am going to need to source id be greatful for those ...
Santeekid79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 05:25 PM   #5
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
These days when I need a 5-lug I have to buy a whole car it seems and just build that car instead of the one I wanted the 5-lug for

lol

In the old days I would hit up JDM import shops. You don't want an USDM 5-lug conversion because it will have 200k miles on the wheel bearings.
Instead get a used set of JDM 5-lug with the brakes, two birds with one stone. They usually have only 60k or 80k (back in 2001 this was true) and the big brakes are something you want anyways. The brakes from S14 silvia are identical 30mm to the Z32 brakes from 300ZX fwiw.

I suppose I'd still try that route. Maybe someone on ebay has a whole set of brakes, 5-lug, etc... you can negotiate. Idk
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:12 PM   #6
deolio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
deolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
These days when I need a 5-lug I have to buy a whole car it seems and just build that car instead of the one I wanted the 5-lug for
the fuck are you talking about? there are 9000 aftermarket conversion hubs on the market.

op (santeekid79), allow me to give you the ol' zilvia welcome:

you're 41, how do you not know how google works? see that little search button in the upper bar with a dropdown text field? USE IT. also, notice how there's a pinned thread entitled "if you are new, introduce yourself" and another one called the "small questions thread" that is where content like this tread belongs so we don't end up with 36 introduction threads asking the same questions over an over every day. (this should be copypasta by now)

anywho, don't take things too personally on here, always search before you ask, actually read threads, and you'll learn a lot.

here's one freebie spoonfeeding - quality 5 lug hubs AND they're located in vegas https://240sxconversions.com/ you're welcome
Old 05-26-2020, 06:21 PM   #7
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by deolio View Post
the fuck are you talking about? there are 9000 aftermarket conversion hubs on the market.

here's one freebie spoonfeeding - quality 5 lug hubs AND they're located in vegas https://240sxconversions.com/ you're welcome
those use china bearings and fail I heard

maybe they changed since then

I would personally never trust 'brand new' 5-lug conversions.

Only Original, authentic JDM for me kthx

Next hes gonna ask about manifolds, and Im going to say there is nothing available for less than $800, and you are going to post links for china $150 top mount
Old 05-26-2020, 06:48 PM   #8
NukeKS14
Zilvia Member

NukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really nice
Quote:

yeah I'm w/ deolio on this... what are you on about man?

OEM front 5 lug hub, BNIB, $122

Z1 also carries the OEM rear bearing and hub for ~$155 ea. You know the USDM S14 SE's came equipped with 5 lug hubs right? so no need for 'JDM'. Unless you're trying to be facetious, in which case your 'joke' went way over my head.

That's just off the top of my head. You can do other conversions for comparable pricing without resorting to EBay Chinese specials.

Second the google use. I can pretty much guarantee any 'new owner' question you can think up has been asked and answered ad nausea. Welcome to the forum.
NukeKS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:51 PM   #9
deolio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
deolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:

Next hes gonna ask about manifolds, and Im going to say there is nothing available for less than $800, and you are going to post links for china $150 top mount
6 years no issues here. iirc you can always replace the bearing with an oem unit should they go bad

lets see that all original authentic jdm motor that's in your car then you nerd

definitely needs isr everything, xxr wheels, and ebay takata harnesses to complete the look!
Old 05-27-2020, 06:33 AM   #10
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

as long as those bearings say Japan and Timken I dont have any issue.

I just never trusted that nameless shit

The LS of 02-07 basically copies the 2jz and sr20 in terms of girdle/oil pan support, seq-efi trigger system, piston material science, modern combustion chamber design, oil system priority, and more that I dont have time to remember right now.

It is basically a larger version of 2x sr20's tied together IMHO and the more I mess with it the more I feel like that is the case, each side is its own independent 4-cylinder

It even weighs about the same as the OEM 4-cylinder when swapped correctly

I'm sure everybody has seen this by now
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ce-inside.html
Old 05-27-2020, 08:09 AM   #11
NukeKS14
Zilvia Member

NukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really nice
Quote:
as long as those bearings say Japan and Timken I dont have any issue.

I just never trusted that nameless shit
" Brand: Nissan
Part #:
40200-0V010 - With ABS
40200-0V26D - Without ABS > 40200-0V210"

Those OEM part numbers are still in production and able to be ordered at any dealership parts counter/parts supplier.

case in point

Last edited by NukeKS14; 05-27-2020 at 08:10 AM.. Reason: add link
Old 05-27-2020, 09:23 AM   #12
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NukeKS14 View Post
" Brand: Nissan
Part #:
40200-0V010 - With ABS
40200-0V26D - Without ABS > 40200-0V210"

Those OEM part numbers are still in production and able to be ordered at any dealership parts counter/parts supplier.

case in point
great now just get em to make new sunroofs and gas tanks and we'll be set

weel? wee'l? we will... wheel
Old 05-28-2020, 08:44 AM   #13
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (19)
mav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
I love how the guy has a S13 and replies are telling him part numbers for S14 front hubs.

Also, S14 fuel tanks are available new. Ask me how...

Distributor for Nismo, ORC, and discontinued genuine Nissan parts.

Authorized dealer for Oakley -- PM me for the best prices!

[email protected]
mav1178 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:18 AM   #14
NukeKS14
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
I love how the guy has a S13 and replies are telling him part numbers for S14 front hubs.
Read the rest of the thread;

OP wants to convert to 5 lug. He was referred to conversion kits or buying used S14 hardware. Someone complained that it's not wise to use high mileage S14 parts or china junk so I posted brand new OEM replacement hubs to go with the spindles and everything else required for the conversion. Guessing OP doesn't have a press based on his questions.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:27 AM   #15
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

mav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfection
Quote:
Read the rest of the thread;

OP wants to convert to 5 lug. He was referred to conversion kits or buying used S14 hardware. Someone complained that it's not wise to use high mileage S14 parts or china junk so I posted brand new OEM replacement hubs to go with the spindles and everything else required for the conversion. Guessing OP doesn't have a press based on his questions.
Read the thread again.

No one suggested using S14 hardware (other than mention of the JDM S14 Silvia brakes being same as Z32), the thread went from "buying JDM" to "buying S14 front hubs" with no explanation of how to get to S14 front spindles.

At some point it just ignored previous posts and only talked about S14 front hubs with no mention of how to actually use it on a S13.

[email protected]
Old 05-28-2020, 09:37 AM   #16
NukeKS14
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Read the thread again.

No one suggested using S14 hardware (other than mention of the JDM S14 Silvia brakes being same as Z32), the thread went from "buying JDM" to "buying S14 front hubs" with no explanation of how to get to S14 front spindles.

At some point it just ignored previous posts and only talked about S14 front hubs with no mention of how to actually use it on a S13.
https://www.sillbeer.com/5lugswap.php
Old 05-28-2020, 10:00 AM   #17
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
The link you posted fails to mention the most critical part: S13 front shock bolts are smaller than S14. To resolve this, either you drill out the lower mount bracket on S13 front shocks/coilovers to accept S14 bolts, or have small inserts that take up the slack so S13 bolts can be reused.

I understand how to do S14 front spindles on S13, I've done it before, I made S14 spindle upright inserts (to reuse S13 shock bolts) via a machine shop in 2002 when no one else wanted to go that route:

https://frsport.com/dif-10545-front-...-sleeve-spacer

If you look at the thread, there was no mention of how to use S14 front hubs on a S13, yet the whole "JDM this" "JDM that" ended up with your post above on how to swap 5 lug hubs using S14 components.

That's all I'm saying. Seems like the thread ended up being replying to the immediate previous post instead of the actual topic from OP.

OP: you can get plenty of 5 lug conversion hubs on the market. Some are cheaper some are more expensive. The higher priced brands out of Japan will last you a longer time, however cheap brands in the US may also work depending on what you want to do. You can also swap S14 front spindles and use OEM components, but that requires a bit of piecing together what you need.

Use Google.

[email protected]
Old 05-28-2020, 10:07 AM   #18
NukeKS14
Zilvia Member

Quote:
The link you posted fails to mention the most critical part: S13 front shock bolts are smaller than S14. To resolve this, either you drill out the lower mount bracket on S13 front shocks/coilovers to accept S14 bolts, or have small inserts that take up the slack so S13 bolts can be reused.
Thanks for the clarification and picture.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:20 PM   #19
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (26)
SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SupaDoopa
Quote:

Not sure what you 'heard' but I've never had an issue. The only thing I've done to them was switch out the studs for something longer.
SupaDoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 07:46 PM   #20
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

okay ill bite how do you get a new s14 fuel tank

asking for a friend....
Old 05-28-2020, 09:17 PM   #21
nismoka

nismoka is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santeekid79 View Post
Just doing what is asked of me while i am a newbie.just bought my 1st 240sx 89 and goung to try to start today and was wondering if anyone had any advice on special things i might do or not do during this process . the car is sohc ka all basic and stock which is unbelievable in itself right? But any info will help my name is brendon i live in vegas and if u are near me hit me up and we can meet up ect.

join the Vegas drift page on FB
And also Vegas s chassis on fb as well.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:02 PM   #22
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
okay ill bite how do you get a new s14 fuel tank

asking for a friend....
https://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?p=6382428

[email protected]