Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:30 PM   #31
Turbozx
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Turbozx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ok, I got a little more done today. I am trying to get the rear diff and rear suspension set up so once I drop the motor and tranny in I can just hook up the driveshaft.

Here is the car with the rear end lifted off the lift. I ended up getting an attachment for the lift, so I can do suspension work on it.

Passenger side removed. I forgot that I need new hubs to fit the larger TTZ and Q45 axles. Luckily I still have the Q45 subframe so I will pull the hubs off of that and install them in original S13 uprights.

Diff and both axles removed

Except for the rear diff cover, I guess I won't be needing this VLSD with 4.60 gears in it anymore.

Preliminary layout of the fuel lines and filter/FPR set up from Fueled Racing. I need to ultimately tie down the lines and make sure there is no rubbing with the other lines and other parts.

Just received my SPL tie rod ends and also new TTZ front tie rods.

One last shot before I called it a day
Old 11-20-2012, 08:51 PM   #32
s0fa king
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
s0fa king is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Oh em gee! Subscribed
s0fa king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:58 PM   #33
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
Flicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Flicktitty
VERY COOL! One of my favorite S13's back in the day, always kind of wondered what happened to it, Good to see it's getting a second shot at life again!
Old 11-20-2012, 08:58 PM   #34
CleanAndLegit
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
CleanAndLegit is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
nice 5 bolt axles and shafts.... you selling?
CleanAndLegit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:26 PM   #35
usdm180sx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
usdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to usdm180sx Send a message via Yahoo to usdm180sx
OMG I remember this car waaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the day. It was one of my inspirations. stillensucks.com haha

usdm180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:01 AM   #36
Pstl_pete
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
Pstl_pete is a jewel in the roughPstl_pete is a jewel in the roughPstl_pete is a jewel in the roughPstl_pete is a jewel in the roughPstl_pete is a jewel in the roughPstl_pete is a jewel in the roughPstl_pete is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I may be biased but excellent choice on the motor and setup.

It's great to see someone taking time to do things the right way and making this a CA legal car.

I can't wait to see the outcome (especially the AC portion) and if you have any questions by all means don't hesitate to ask!
Old 11-22-2012, 09:30 PM   #37
Turbozx
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pstl_pete View Post

I can't wait to see the outcome (especially the AC portion) and if you have any questions by all means don't hesitate to ask!
Pete - Thanks for showing us the light to get to CA CARB happiness.

By the way, I have spent a ton of time researching the AC and found that with the older GM ECU's it can be done, but with the newer GM ECU's and especially the crate motor ECU's, we are fighting an uphill battle. See this link on my findings on our LS3 EROD ECU - silviav8forums.com :: Log in.

I found a site where I was able to download for a nominal fee all the wiring diagrams for a 2008 Chevy Trailblazer that uses the same E67 ECU and same service number of 12636660. So far, I have not figured out how to do an OEM like setup for the AC.

It gets really discouraging when you read this link at efilive.com -http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?18045-E67-and-A-C-clutch-request&highlight=E67+AC. I really don't want to mess with custom programs for the ECU.

In the worst case, I will just hook up the AC wiring per this link - http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/203040...c-control.html

I am hopefully sending out all my Nissan and CTS-V AC fittings to Fueled Racing next week so they can fab up my lines. They said it a short 2 - 3 day turn around.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:35 PM   #38
Turbozx
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanAndLegit View Post
nice 5 bolt axles and shafts.... you selling?
Yes, eventually after the build is complete. I will have a ton of stuff from the SR set up minus the motor. Intercoolers, piping, S14 PS lines, JIC coilover setup Z32 rear hubs to fit the JIC coil overs, etc, etc....
Old 11-22-2012, 09:53 PM   #39
Turbozx
Leaky Injector

No pics today, but just something that I found a little odd yesterday.

I knew that in order to go to the KW coilovers, I would have to go back to the stock rear knuckles as I had called KW and they would not make a special set of their 240SX rears with the Z32 fork mounts.

I mentioned earlier that I did not realize was that my existing 5 bolt rear hubs would not fit with the Q45 and TTZ rear axles that I need for the Q45 rear diff. Ok no problem as I still had the Q45 rear subframe with the rear knuckles and hubs. I figured since they are using the same size axles, that the knuckles and thus the hub bearings would be the same. Since I had to pull the hubs off of the Q45, I figured I would install some new Z32 TT rear bearings that I have had sitting in my garage for ages. Luckily I checked first and found out that the OD of the Z32 TT don't fit into the Q45 knuckle. The knuckles look identical to each other and both use the same size axles, but the hub bearings are definitely different sizes. In the end, I just installed the Q45 hubs into the stock S13 knuckles with no issues. I just hope the Q45 bearings don't fail in the near future.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:48 AM   #40
ahenry778

ahenry778 is an unknown quantity at this point
subscribing! this is fantastic
ahenry778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:01 PM   #41
Turbozx
Leaky Injector

Just a quick update as I finally finished off the rear suspension and Q45 diff swap.

Side by side comparison of the 240SX diff on the left and the Q45 on the right.

The front yoke is much larger on the Q45 on the right. The guys at Fueled Racing have a driveshaft for nearly any configuration, so it took only a few days to get the driveshaft. In this case it is a Q45 diff with ABS connecting to a T56 Magnum tranny.

Nice packaging from KW

In progress shot

Finished

Q45 diff and axles installed. If you do this conversion, make sure you get the bolts for the 6 bolt axles. Unlike the different 240SX configurations that use nuts and bolts to connect the axles to the stub axles in the diff, the 6 bolt axles are actually threaded so you need the bolts that come with the axles to bolt them to the stub axles.

I wanted to see if I can mount the air filter in the same place that I had my air filter for my SR20 mounted. The stock E-ROD filter is big, but it looks like it will fit.

Next step is to install the ACT twin disk clutch and the starter. I think I am going to attach the bell housing and drop it from the top and then install the transmission separately from the bottom. We'll see when we get there.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:52 PM   #42
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
Your car list makes me feel all happy inside.
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:45 AM   #43
SR20PWRALTY
Zilvia Junkie

SR20PWRALTY is an unknown quantity at this point
If you Are trying to pass smog it can be a little tricky with what you use as an intake. it has to be carb legal
SR20PWRALTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:32 AM   #44
Turbozx
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR20PWRALTY View Post
If you Are trying to pass smog it can be a little tricky with what you use as an intake. it has to be carb legal
Actually, that is the air filter I am suppose to use as it is part of the E-ROD engine assembly kit and was the filter that GM used when they passed certification for CARB. That is the beauty and convenience of the EROD package. It comes with the engine, intake, cats, exhaust manifolds, wiring harness, ECU and EVAP box
Old 11-26-2012, 10:15 AM   #45
Pstl_pete
Zilvia Junkie

Pstl_pete is a jewel in the roughPstl_pete is a jewel in the roughPstl_pete is a jewel in the roughPstl_pete is a jewel in the roughPstl_pete is a jewel in the roughPstl_pete is a jewel in the roughPstl_pete is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbozx View Post
Actually, that is the air filter I am suppose to use as it is part of the E-ROD engine assembly kit and was the filter that GM used when they passed certification for CARB. That is the beauty and convenience of the EROD package. It comes with the engine, intake, cats, exhaust manifolds, wiring harness, ECU and EVAP box
Actually, when I went to the Ref he said he didnt care about the air filter at all and I could have left my K&N one on (I swapped the GM filter on) but I think each case will always be different.

Jeez, I thought the AC would be a simple wiring in of the condensor switch to turn it off and on and we'd be golden...
Old 11-26-2012, 10:26 PM   #46
Turbozx
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pstl_pete View Post

Jeez, I thought the AC would be a simple wiring in of the condensor switch to turn it off and on and we'd be golden...
As I mentioned earlier if worst comes to worst, we can do exactly as you say by the simple AC wiring instructions in this thread - http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/203040...c-control.html

While it would be nice to have the GM ECU to bump up the idle speed and also cut off the AC clutch at high RPM's, I rather have some basic AC working just using the switch on the drier assembly. There is more than enough torque to deal with the AC clutch engaging and I doubt I will be doing much high RPM runs while the AC is on.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:06 AM   #47
SR20PWRALTY
Zilvia Junkie

SR20PWRALTY is an unknown quantity at this point
I wasn't stating the air filter itself, I was just wonder about intake piping you where going to use to locate air filter in that location. From what I understand ref looks at intake system after the MAF sensor.

SICK BUILD! by the way.
SR20PWRALTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:08 AM   #48
Turbozx
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR20PWRALTY View Post
I wasn't stating the air filter itself, I was just wonder about intake piping you where going to use to locate air filter in that location. From what I understand ref looks at intake system after the MAF sensor.
Ok, good point especially since the EROD comes with no piping for an intake. I never actually thought about it as I was just going to use some 4" piping to run the filter to that location. From everything I've read about the referee certification process it seems so random and dependent on the particular referee. Sometimes i think the entire smog laws in Calif are random.

This is off topic, but when I bought my GTR from out of the state and first went to the calif DMV to get it registered, I thought it was a comedy. I first had to have someone at the DMV verify the VIN, make sure it is 50 state smog legal and verify the mileage. That was easy. But then after getting that signed off I went inside to get it registered and the first thing they ask for is my smog test certificate. I said this is a brand new 50 state smog compliant car with less than 50 miles on the odometer. She said I needed a that smog test certificate, otherwise she could do nothing. At least she was nice and said just go down the street to get it tested and come right back to her and then we could proceed. Ok seems simple enough to do, but the first smog station refuses to test my car as they said it is illegal to bring a new out of state car into California. He said I needed more miles on the car. I knew that that applies only to cars that are not 50 state compliant and that these cars have to have a minimum amount of miles on them before they can be registered in calif. I argued with the guy so he finally called someone to confirm, but they backed him up. Ok this is not going anywhere so I go a couple of doors down to a test only station and he doesn't blink an eye and just tests my car and gives me the certificate I need to register my car.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:57 AM   #49
mad-ass
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
mad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mad-ass
isn't california just lovely on regulations?

I already love this build, and can't wait to see it completed.

good job sir.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:52 AM   #50
cchondro
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
cchondro is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It's coming along great
loving the update
make me want to start updating my build thread with all my new updates!

Keep up the good work
cchondro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #51
Slippin'eight-nine
Leaky Injector

Slippin'eight-nine is an unknown quantity at this point
Its nice to see an OG member bring an old project car back!
Especially with the bankroll to do it properly!
Cant wait to see this one play out..
Old 12-01-2012, 08:52 PM   #52
Turbozx
Leaky Injector

Got a little done today.

Got this installed.

Didn't have time to install this bell housing

Received some goodies from UPS yesterday

Got these brand new bricks for a fair price from someone here on Zilvia

Tein pillow mounts for the front KW coilovers
Old 12-01-2012, 11:56 PM   #53
C. Anderson
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (17)
C. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
You will like that clutch. Did you go with two street disks on it?

Posted from Zilvia.net App for Android
C. Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:24 AM   #54
jroc896

jroc896 is an unknown quantity at this point
Awesome work so far!!
jroc896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:57 PM   #55
Turbozx
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Anderson View Post
You will like that clutch. Did you go with two street disks on it?

Posted from Zilvia.net App for Android
Yep, twin disk street setup that is suppose to hold up to 800 ft-lbs of torque, which is way more than I will be producing.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:30 PM   #56
C. Anderson
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (17)
C. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Thats good. When I bought mine at first I had one street and one race disk. After a couple of months of daily driving I pulled the motor for a rear main seal and the race disk significantly ate away the metal surfaces and put deep grooves in the pressure and midplate. I sent it back to get rebuilt and change to two street disks. I did a drift event after installing the street disks then checked them after the event. The white letters printed on the clutch disk where still there and showed no signs of slipping. I have 380 tq and 420 hp.
C. Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:07 AM   #57
S13k's

S13k's is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

Tein pillow mounts for the front KW coilovers
Good choice on these, They last forever! Awesome build! Keep it up. Subscribed!
Old 12-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #58
Turbozx
Leaky Injector

I did a junkyard run this morning and was able to find a 137K 90 hatchback that took a big hit to the right front corner. I was only looking for AC lines, but ended up taking some clean interior items like the gauge cluster and surrounding trim, the glovebox and the carpet.

I now have all the fittings I need to send to Fueled Racing to assemble my AC lines. In this picture, you can also see the new CTSV AC hoses that I bought to sacrifice the connectors.

I also received my McLeod hydraulic throwout bearing for the drivetrain

I am planning to take the crossmember off tomorrow and put together the engine, tranny and crossmember to install from the bottom.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:29 PM   #59
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

futures14drift is an unknown quantity at this point
just my dream garage....awesome build!
futures14drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:34 AM   #60
Pstl_pete
Zilvia Junkie

Excited to see the AC come together! I realized that with my setup there's no way the stock cylindrical canister (not sure what to call it) will fit in its original location since the coolant hoses are in the way.

I hope Fueled Racing will offer a turn-key solution for the lines.