Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-13-2020, 12:57 PM   #1
eerrrrr
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
eerrrrr will become famous soon enougheerrrrr will become famous soon enougheerrrrr will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Rivnut/Nutsert experts needed!

been looking at how to determine which rivnut/nutsert size i need to fit the bolt below. im pretty confused from what google search comes up with. couple articles/threads say i need M14 because thats the size of the bolt head, but that doesn't make sense because the thread pitch is M10x1.25.

Need this bolt:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vS2...ew?usp=sharing

in here:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CDuBBvmHN6T/

per fsm, this is the bolt im referring too:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FZf...ew?usp=sharing
eerrrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2020, 01:14 PM   #2
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
You want a M10x1.25 rivnut.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 01:28 PM   #3
jdmgtom
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
jdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hey, not sure what year the car you're working on is, but here's an illustration of a 1993 240sx. Anchor Bolt part #01125-01271. there is no nutsert, looks like it threads into the tension rod. Nissan North America still provides this anchor bolt.

Old 08-13-2020, 01:32 PM   #4
S14rebuild
BANNED

Trader Rating: (8)
S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Thats not a rivnut, its a captured nut (weld from inside the rail)

U need to cut open the rail(access point) and either reweld the nut back on to the rail or use a new nut and hold it with a wrench when tighten the bolt. U can reweld the cut frame section (access point) back up after.

A rivnut will not fill that void for the appropriate thread u need nor will it take the torque on the bolt

Actually thinkn...with out lookn at the car infront of me u might beable to gain access to it from the front of the frame rail..it is open...
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 02:39 PM   #5
eerrrrr
Zilvia Junkie

eerrrrr will become famous soon enougheerrrrr will become famous soon enougheerrrrr will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
You want a M10x1.25 rivnut.
this makes sense, but i cant seem to find any M10x1.25. plenty of M10, but many do not have the 1.25 details part so idk if my bolt will thread in properly. and for those that do list it, are just M10x1.5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmgtom View Post
Hey, not sure what year the car you're working on is, but here's an illustration of a 1993 240sx. Anchor Bolt part #01125-01271. there is no nutsert, looks like it threads into the tension rod. Nissan North America still provides this anchor bolt.
92 240sx fastback

that's not the bolt im referring to. im referring to the bolt that holds the power brace/tension rod bracket sorta in the middle to the frame rail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14rebuild View Post
Thats not a rivnut, its a captured nut (weld from inside the rail)

U need to cut open the rail(access point) and either reweld the nut back on to the rail or use a new nut and hold it with a wrench when tighten the bolt. U can reweld the cut frame section (access point) back up after.

A rivnut will not fill that void for the appropriate thread u need nor will it take the torque on the bolt

Actually thinkn...with out lookn at the car infront of me u might beable to gain access to it from the front of the frame rail..it is open...
i was hoping i didnt need to do this. from the front, the driver side is closed, but it looks like i can prob just bend the metal over, maybe...but idk.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vwL...ew?usp=sharing

if all else fails, fuck it part out...hahaha
Old 08-13-2020, 02:44 PM   #6
s13silvia123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
s13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
you'll have to weld it stated from s14rebuild.

this link will send you to the proper weld nut.

https://www.mcmaster.com/nuts/nut-type~weld/

how to do it? well bolt on the nut to the bolt. then weld the nut with the bolt on. as mentioned above, access it as what S14rebuild said.

i had to this once for the lower control arm for a Lancer where the original weld nut broke off. also from other engineering experiences.

s13silvia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 02:52 PM   #7
eerrrrr
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13silvia123 View Post
you'll have to weld it stated from s14rebuild.

this link will send you to the proper weld nut.

https://www.mcmaster.com/nuts/nut-type~weld/

how to do it? well bolt on the nut to the bolt. then weld the nut with the bolt on. as mentioned above, access it as what S14rebuild said.

i had to this once for the lower control arm for a Lancer where the original weld nut broke off. also from other engineering experiences.
sounds good. thanks.

i was hoping a heavy duty or steel one might work, but guess not.
Old 08-13-2020, 03:05 PM   #8
S14rebuild
BANNED

S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Ive even used a hole saw on the side of the rail, to gain access, nothing huge, stuck my finger in, so i could hold the nut as i threaded the bolt in.. after u can leave the hole there(wont cause and structural issues), or use the peice u hole sawed out and weld it back in place.

Really not a big deal. 30-45mins top with the proper tools
Old 08-13-2020, 03:08 PM   #9
eerrrrr
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Ive even used a hole saw on the side of the rail, to gain access, nothing huge, stuck my finger in, so i could hold the nut as i threaded the bolt in.. after u can leave the hole there(wont cause and structural issues), or use the peice u hole sawed out and weld it back in place.

Really not a big deal. 30-45mins top with the proper tools
sounds good. not a big deal for someone experienced, but im a level 2 noob. i know my basics and know how to search only. glad to know a hole wont make a huge difference and cause structural issues. may prob just make one of the many holes on the side bigger then. THANKS!
Old 08-13-2020, 03:43 PM   #10
s13silvia123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
s13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
it's not thick steel. use a hole saw to cut it from the top to access the weld nut. do not cut it up in a square shape. corners of squared, perpendicular, or 90 degree corners causes structural failure.

s13silvia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 05:35 PM   #11
S14rebuild
BANNED

^been explained
Old 08-23-2020, 02:57 PM   #12
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
[/QUOTE]

Can anyone confirm that the bolt 54502 is identical for S13 and S14 all years?

I have some kind of weird, pop/snap/clunk in the front end, whenever turning left or right. It only does it once each way, like if I make a right *clunk* it won't clunk again until I turn left. So I think there is a wrong bolt size somewhere in the car from previous owner. Any idears... lol about to rip the whole thing apart.

it doesnt affect the steering, toe, tie rods, rack, nothing to do with alignment so I ruled all that out.
The sway bar(sikky), TCrods, and all the bushings(incl LCA) and ball joints/struts/strut mounts are new. So I am down to bolts and worn out metal parts I guess.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 03:30 PM   #13
S14rebuild
BANNED

Its the same....

Any chance u check steering rack bushings?
Old 08-24-2020, 01:26 AM   #14
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Quote:
Its the same....

Any chance u check steering rack bushings?
I figure if it was the rack the alignment or toe would go out everytime whatever it was moved.

It could just be the sway bar. Im so lazy all I have to do is remove 1 nut to check and its been 3 years and I still haven't done it XD

but im running out of stuff to do to the car so
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:46 AM   #15
jdmgtom
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
jdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
I figure if it was the rack the alignment or toe would go out everytime whatever it was moved.

It could just be the sway bar. Im so lazy all I have to do is remove 1 nut to check and its been 3 years and I still haven't done it XD

but im running out of stuff to do to the car so
I had popping/snapping noise coming from my front suspension area in the past, same symptoms you're explaining. For me it turned out to be my front wheel spacers were warped.. lol After removing/replacing the warped wheel spacers, the noise went away.
Old 08-29-2020, 10:09 PM   #16
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Theoretically, he could just drill a couple pilot holes at the 4 corners of the nut and weld through the sheet metal to the nut. It’ll serve the same purpose as having access to the backside without cutting a huge hole. Put the bolt in from the opposite side of you can, thread the “captured” nut on the outside and mark where you need to drill. Reverse order and a few hits with a mig and you’re done...