Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-20-2017, 10:52 AM   #1
d9m13n
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
d9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Air Cup Coilover Addons

While reading the Speedhunters Article on the Bensopra 380sx build (here if you havent seen it)-> http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/01/...ensopra-380sx/ I got super intrigued by the use of 'air cups' over the adjustable coilovers the car is running. The article claimed that they were for increasing stability on high speed runs at the Nardo Ring, however after looking at the Roberuta air cups in particular that the 380sx runs I found the primary use is the modern supercar-esque 'lifter system' for increasing front ride height when dealing with speed bumps and the like. Ive personally never been a fan of air suspension on S-chassis and the rarity of our cars running on bags seems to echo that sentiment. Its interesting to me personally because the biggest claim of these air cups is that they dont affect performance or the normal operation of the coilover because they are not activated (thus they dont have air in them) during normal driving, only when you encounter some obstacle like a speed bump or a steep incline, or when loading onto a trailer. It seems you can get full kits relatively inexpensively https://www.stanceparts.com/product/...it-front-rear/ while there are a couple kits that run in the $2000+ range all the way up to the Roberuta kits nearing $20k for some applications.

I bring this up because it seems like its still a fairly new modification, or at least a semi-affordable one. At least one kit seems to still be in a beta stage as well. I also think this would be a fairly useful mod for our cars, seeing as a lot of us run pricey fiberglass bumpers or splitters that arent exactly obstacle friendly. It could also increase the usability of slammed cars, as 3 or so inches of lift when needed could save frame rails/exhausts every so often while still maintaining the #framebanggang look.

All that being said, anyone have any personal experience running these, or know anyone with a setup like this? Really looking into this as a possibility for my own build, just looking to see some other thoughts on it.
d9m13n is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2017, 11:10 AM   #2
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
gonna go ahead and monitor this thread... have a feeling its gonna turn to shit in t-minus 3.. 2...

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:27 PM   #3
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Not going to like. I kind of thought about these. Fortune auto makes a kit like this too I think.

https://fortune-auto.com/coilovers/airpistonliftsystem/

I think it would be cool to be able to go balls on the street low, then raise up as needed.
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:56 PM   #4
s13silvia123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
s13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
I design similar "Air Cup" for work. these are generally called air springs with a tube over the air spring.

s13silvia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:26 PM   #5
jsu1012
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
jsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I have the stance parts cups on the front of my car. I was a little worried since they are out of country and a "add on" kit, but everything installed perfectly on my fortune auto coilovers and my suspension didnt change at all as far as feel or appearance. granted I dont race my car around a road course lol. but I do drive the car about 800-1000 miles a month, daily driving and weekend fun driving. I got them so I can get into my driveway (still scrapes exhaust ) without destroying front fenders that I cant readily get from anywhere. They are nice, I've had them on the car for almost a year now.

@streetstyle_jay
jsu1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:43 PM   #6
LockOn!
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
LockOn! is making a name for him/her selfLockOn! is making a name for him/her selfLockOn! is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
^^^ gud info

I'm curious about these too. Literally only so I can lower my car more and still get in and out of my garage haha.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:54 PM   #7
Bnr32gtr
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Bnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
It is a big pita getting a jack under my car or getting on the rack/lift. Hell drive ways and speed bumps would be a breeze. Who all runs and these? Just when i was thinking about raising the front of my car ... Now I'm on that tuck rim front n rear shit
Bnr32gtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 04:54 PM   #8
SaNTi
Zilvia Addict

SaNTi is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsu1012 View Post
I have the stance parts cups on the front of my car. I was a little worried since they are out of country and a "add on" kit, but everything installed perfectly on my fortune auto coilovers and my suspension didnt change at all as far as feel or appearance. granted I dont race my car around a road course lol. but I do drive the car about 800-1000 miles a month, daily driving and weekend fun driving. I got them so I can get into my driveway (still scrapes exhaust ) without destroying front fenders that I cant readily get from anywhere. They are nice, I've had them on the car for almost a year now.
Have you ever gotten into a situation where you're about to Titanic an obstacle and you're able to avoid it by airing up or is the system not fast enough for that?
SaNTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:14 PM   #9
Manhitbytran
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (5)
Manhitbytran has a spectacular aura aboutManhitbytran has a spectacular aura aboutManhitbytran has a spectacular aura aboutManhitbytran has a spectacular aura aboutManhitbytran has a spectacular aura aboutManhitbytran has a spectacular aura aboutManhitbytran has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Hit up Platinum VIP they make an air cup kit that will retrofit to almost all coilovers.
http://www.phantomsuspension.com/
Manhitbytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:35 PM   #10
Bnr32gtr
Zilvia Addict

Bnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enough
^looks nice but a lil salty to me for what u r getting. If I go this route I'll pc it together. Just don't kno if I want all the bs (air lines,wiring,valves,switch or more cake on management,+ more vibs and noises in my already loud and annoying cabin)in my super Simplified 4d shodie

Jus1012 how big of a tank u got? How fast can u air up.

Any one with 5gal? Thinking air up would be pretty quick? What size valves u guys run 3/8?
Old 06-20-2017, 09:27 PM   #11
Malik
Nissanaholic!

Malik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant future
KW variant makes a hydraulic lift system for s13's but it runs over 3000
Malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:34 PM   #12
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Flicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Flicktitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malik View Post
KW variant makes a hydraulic lift system for s13's but it runs over 3000
That's around what you'll pay for stance coils and thier air cups, or the Fortune Auto setup.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:55 PM   #13
jsu1012
Zilvia FREAK!

jsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaNTi View Post
Have you ever gotten into a situation where you're about to Titanic an obstacle and you're able to avoid it by airing up or is the system not fast enough for that?
Yes, I've used them several times while driving to avoid shit in the roads. I slowed down to about 30mph before hitting the switch. They felt fine, but stiff like I had 18k springs or something lol. I haven't had to use them on the highway. They air up really fast. I could get video if you'd like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnr32gtr View Post
^looks nice but a lil salty to me for what u r getting. If I go this route I'll pc it together. Just don't kno if I want all the bs (air lines,wiring,valves,switch or more cake on management,+ more vibs and noises in my already loud and annoying cabin)in my super Simplified 4d shodie

Jus1012 how big of a tank u got? How fast can u air up.

Any one with 5gal? Thinking air up would be pretty quick? What size valves u guys run 3/8?
It's really a very very simple setup. Mine is just on a switch. 3 gallon tank, 3/8th electric solenoids. from taking out my coilovers, installing the cups and reinstalling the coilovers. to wiring it all up took about 2 hours.

@streetstyle_jay
Old 06-21-2017, 12:55 AM   #14
d9m13n
Zilvia Junkie

d9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really nice
Quote:
Glad to see some good words on the stance parts kit. Hopefully they work with the mca's I plan on getting as this is looking more and more like a good idea. I like the design as it looks less prone to failure being in a state of disuse until you actually activate them. Being in Boston (some of the shittiest roads in the country), coupled with the fact my driveway is on a 15 or so percent grade with horrible sidewalk sloping up to it as well as being low enough that I cant jack up the car without using ramps makes this something that might be more of a necessity for myself. Seems like if the system itself is solid and doesnt fail, the fact that it doesnt affect the performance of the coils as well as the pros that come with a temporary lift make this a great idea for the price point. Surprised I dont see this more in the performance modding community, especially where I live.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:50 AM   #15
jsu1012
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d9m13n View Post
Glad to see some good words on the stance parts kit. Hopefully they work with the mca's I plan on getting as this is looking more and more like a good idea. I like the design as it looks less prone to failure being in a state of disuse until you actually activate them. Being in Boston (some of the shittiest roads in the country), coupled with the fact my driveway is on a 15 or so percent grade with horrible sidewalk sloping up to it as well as being low enough that I cant jack up the car without using ramps makes this something that might be more of a necessity for myself. Seems like if the system itself is solid and doesnt fail, the fact that it doesnt affect the performance of the coils as well as the pros that come with a temporary lift make this a great idea for the price point. Surprised I dont see this more in the performance modding community, especially where I live.

I'm totally with you. My driveway has destroyed 2 sets of vertex fenders and when I went with spirit rei I literally ordered two sets of fenders to have for back up. With these cups my extra set won't even be needed. That along with the ease of getting my jack under the car now was 1000% worth it.

@streetstyle_jay
Old 06-21-2017, 07:14 AM   #16
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
^post a vid
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:14 AM   #17
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
I'll be following this thread... I've been floating this idea around for a little while, so it's nice to find some first hand reports on setups.

Back for round two... 4 doors this time around...
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:24 AM   #18
Bnr32gtr
Zilvia Addict

Any one kno if they will work on pbm coils?

Jsu1012 can u post pics aired up
Old 06-21-2017, 09:34 AM   #19
jsu1012
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future240 View Post
^post a vid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky_ab View Post
I'll be following this thread... I've been floating this idea around for a little while, so it's nice to find some first hand reports on setups.
Quote:
Any one kno if they will work on pbm coils?

Jsu1012 can u post pics aired up
they should, you'll just have to measure your coilovers. here is some info you'll need to know: https://www.stanceparts.com/air-cup-lift-system/

I'll get video today after work.

@streetstyle_jay
Old 06-21-2017, 10:17 AM   #20
d9m13n
Zilvia Junkie

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jxPsiK9naPc

Stanceparts kit on an nsx, looks pretty quick to me.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GuYOjteqlm0

Stance coilovers setup, that's absurdly fast.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:58 AM   #21
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
amazingly enough this thread is going in the OPPOSITE direction of where i thought it was headed... thats something rare for zilvia!

if people come into this thread and start getting stupid, please report their posts so i can clean out their comments seeing as there is some actually GOOD info going on in here!

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 11:15 AM   #22
anti tyler
GM2 (SW/AW)

Trader Rating: (37)
anti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to anti tyler Send a message via Yahoo to anti tyler
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkidori_s13 View Post
amazingly enough this thread is going in the OPPOSITE direction of where i thought it was headed... thats something rare for zilvia!

if people come into this thread and start getting stupid, please report their posts so i can clean out their comments seeing as there is some actually GOOD info going on in here!

I hope you knocked on wood after you hit post. Because I was really wanting to see where this went.
but that shyt has SWAG

KA-T for life!
Current for sale advertisement

anti tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 04:17 PM   #23
jsu1012
Zilvia FREAK!

Sorry if its crap quality my internet is acting crazy at the house.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr8EyqaPmL4

@streetstyle_jay
Old 06-21-2017, 04:28 PM   #24
Bnr32gtr
Zilvia Addict

Thanks for the video bro! I'm sold.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:43 PM   #25
d9m13n
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Same here, ill probably do the front and rear just because the price difference makes it worth it and ill save my exhaust and frame rails hopefully.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:08 PM   #26
Ryosuke Takahashi
Zilvia Member

Ryosuke Takahashi has a spectacular aura aboutRyosuke Takahashi has a spectacular aura aboutRyosuke Takahashi has a spectacular aura aboutRyosuke Takahashi has a spectacular aura aboutRyosuke Takahashi has a spectacular aura aboutRyosuke Takahashi has a spectacular aura aboutRyosuke Takahashi has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Sorry if its crap quality my internet is acting crazy at the house.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr8EyqaPmL4
Nice magenta paint on the s13. I thought it was going to be deep violet from your signature; well at least in sunlight its on the warmer side of purple. Best part is these colors fluctuate throughout the day & create glare emulating deeper colors in shade & nightfall. Great upload
Ryosuke Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 05:12 PM   #27
Malik
Nissanaholic!

Malik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant future
that lifted right away. but its only about a 2" rise.

kw's hls gives you 45mm which is also pretty low.

but its enough to get up a steep driveway I suppose.
Malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 05:41 PM   #28
jsu1012
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by d9m13n View Post
Same here, ill probably do the front and rear just because the price difference makes it worth it and ill save my exhaust and frame rails hopefully.
Awesome im glad i could help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryosuke Takahashi View Post
Nice magenta paint on the s13. I thought it was going to be deep violet from your signature; well at least in sunlight its on the warmer side of purple. Best part is these colors fluctuate throughout the day & create glare emulating deeper colors in shade & nightfall. Great upload
thanks, and ya man this color changes throughout the day a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malik View Post
that lifted right away. but its only about a 2" rise.

kw's hls gives you 45mm which is also pretty low.

but its enough to get up a steep driveway I suppose.
its 2inches exactly. perfect for people who just want to get in and out of their driveway easier.

@streetstyle_jay
Old 06-21-2017, 06:07 PM   #29
Bnr32gtr
Zilvia Addict

I think 2" is a good bit, my skirt is exactly 2" from the ground so temporary 2" of ground Clarence would be pretty awesome!
Old 09-18-2017, 05:07 AM   #30
jay70

jay70 is on the path to ruinjay70 is on the path to ruin
Any updates on these? Anyone else running a similar set up?
jay70 is offline   Reply With Quote