Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-26-2020, 03:46 PM   #1
DarkSlide77
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
DarkSlide77 is just really niceDarkSlide77 is just really niceDarkSlide77 is just really niceDarkSlide77 is just really niceDarkSlide77 is just really niceDarkSlide77 is just really niceDarkSlide77 is just really niceDarkSlide77 is just really niceDarkSlide77 is just really niceDarkSlide77 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Torn between Cd009 and t56

Doing an LS swap into my s13. Im torn between a CD009 and a T56.

I see a lotta guys rockin the CDs and Ive searched but cant find why.
They seem to have a closer gear ratio than the T56.
Are closer gear ratios better for drifting, Or would further gear ratios be better for the power I?ll be making (hopefully around 325-350 and even more in the distant future)?

If anyones had experience with these trannys or even just heard something about them, Id love to hear it. Thanks all you gurus out there
DarkSlide77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2020, 04:06 PM   #2
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (26)
SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SupaDoopa
It's really ratio matching and what you plan to run for power/rear end. Obviously things need to mesh. It also will depend on your budget. T56 is a direct mount with no crazy modifications or bell housing conversions needed while he CD does. You can still [to my knowledge] get both brand new but the T56 will cost you more. Some people justify it as it will cost the same to acquire either setup [within reason/what's available] but if you decide to replace what you got with something brand new, the CD will be cheaper in the long run.
SupaDoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 03:36 PM   #3
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaDoopa View Post
You can still [to my knowledge] get both brand new
im not trying to sound like a dick... but asking people to buy things "brand new" anymore is like a foreign concept! when something is $800 brand new, the majority still look for the $300 used solution (even though they bitch when it breaks after a few months because its so badly abused). the notion of saving the extra $500 is like a foreign concept! even though if they had spent another 2-3 months saving the extra $500 to buy it new and having it perform without error or problem for years to come, the notion of saving that extra money is beyond comprehension!

sorry, drunk and bitching!

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 03:54 PM   #4
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
afishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Are you primarily asking about the CD only? Cause I have a short shifter in my T56 and I love it. Added cost but worth it, and the T56 doesn’t have a fucking beer gut that hangs super low like the CD.
Old 06-28-2020, 04:40 PM   #5
badicalradical
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
badicalradical is a glorious beacon of lightbadicalradical is a glorious beacon of lightbadicalradical is a glorious beacon of lightbadicalradical is a glorious beacon of lightbadicalradical is a glorious beacon of lightbadicalradical is a glorious beacon of lightbadicalradical is a glorious beacon of lightbadicalradical is a glorious beacon of lightbadicalradical is a glorious beacon of lightbadicalradical is a glorious beacon of lightbadicalradical is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkidori_s13 View Post
im not trying to sound like a dick... but asking people to buy things "brand new" anymore is like a foreign concept! when something is $800 brand new, the majority still look for the $300 used solution (even though they bitch when it breaks after a few months because its so badly abused). the notion of spending the extra $500 is like a foreign concept! even though if they had spent another 2-3 months saving the extra $500 to buy it new and having it perform without error or problem for years to come, the notion of saving that extra money is beyond comprehension!

Corrected, sober, and agreed!
badicalradical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:51 PM   #6
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by badicalradical View Post
Corrected, sober, and agreed!
all i have i have to say is <3 <3 <3

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:29 AM   #7
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Welp, good news. I buy things new and beat the shit out of them myself. This way, I know that everything inside is current OEM spec and not a mystery mod or rigged to make it work for a day and a half. Plus, it's reliability and some have warranties on them. If it's a staggering amount, sure. I'll try my go at something used but never will I buy a key component like a crank or something intricate like a transmission used if the price difference isn't a crazy amount.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:41 AM   #8
DarkSlide77
Leaky Injector

DarkSlide77 is just really niceDarkSlide77 is just really niceDarkSlide77 is just really niceDarkSlide77 is just really niceDarkSlide77 is just really niceDarkSlide77 is just really niceDarkSlide77 is just really niceDarkSlide77 is just really niceDarkSlide77 is just really niceDarkSlide77 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by afishysilvia View Post
Are you primarily asking about the CD only? Cause I have a short shifter in my T56 and I love it. Added cost but worth it, and the T56 doesn?t have a fucking beer gut that hangs super low like the CD.
Lol That?s whats up, what kinda power you runnin? I?m asking about both. In searching I found a super cheap, low mileage viper T56 (that?s supposed to be stronger than regular t56) but unfortunately the gears are Even Wider than standard T56. I?m wondering if I can get away with it. If not, it?ll prolly be T56 magnum because everyone?s asking way too damn much for an old, unknown condition, used t56 transmission. I went to buy one and asked the guy to open the case....there was shredded metal all over the damn place. The guy still wanted like $1,300 for it lmao

As for the CD I don?t see what?s so great about it besides it being newer and having closer gears. You gotta buy the adapter...Can?t find any rebuild kits at all when I search. So I?m wondering if the closer gears are what draws people to it for drifting.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:51 AM   #9
DarkSlide77
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkidori_s13 View Post
im not trying to sound like a dick... but asking people to buy things "brand new" anymore is like a foreign concept!

Definitely not the case here for a slightly older guy like me. I like the ?buy once, cry once? approach. I like quality parts like SPL. The newibie kids I talk too think I?m wrong for buying parts like SPL because ?it?s too expensive, you should buy ISR cuz it?s cheaper?. I?ve never owned ISR but ive owned PBM arms, stance arms and other low end shit. What they don?t realize is, sure it?ll work.... but check them out in a year or two. Out of all the arms I?ve owned, the SPL are the only arms where the bearings haven?t rusted to crap. And I don?t even live up north!
Old 06-29-2020, 11:16 AM   #10
DarkSlide77
Leaky Injector

Quote:
It's really ratio matching and what you plan to run for power/rear end.
I?m going to be running the stock 4.08 diff and a 5.3 LS (L33) for sure. Only thing up in the air is the Trans/clutch/shifter(prolly going to try to fabricate a shifter since sikky shifter is like $500). I already have a sikky swap kit for LS/T56 so I?m leaning that way, but if the CD is worth it I?m open to it.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:11 PM   #11
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

If you do in fact go CD, Serial9 is the shifter you want.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:29 PM   #12
Initial Drift
Premium Member

Initial Drift has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSlide77 View Post
Definitely not the case here for a slightly older guy like me. I like the ?buy once, cry once? approach. I like quality parts like SPL. The newibie kids I talk too think I?m wrong for buying parts like SPL because ?it?s too expensive, you should buy ISR cuz it?s cheaper?. I?ve never owned ISR but ive owned PBM arms, stance arms and other low end shit. What they don?t realize is, sure it?ll work.... but check them out in a year or two. Out of all the arms I?ve owned, the SPL are the only arms where the bearings haven?t rusted to crap. And I don?t even live up north!

You and me both. I have full SPL and I also have KW coils. Sure they were expensive but the parts are nice and they last

I would totally buy brand new t56 to make sure i have a good transmission instead of hoping it wont crap out
Initial Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:42 PM   #13
DarkSlide77
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initial Drift View Post
You and me both. I have full SPL and I also have KW coils. Sure they were expensive but the parts are nice and they last

I would totally buy brand new t56 to make sure i have a good transmission instead of hoping it wont crap out
Oh yeah, how do you like em? I gotta get a new set of coils.

I bought the Powered By Max ?Pro? coilovers and I fucking hate them. I bounce in mid drift and the worst part is they sent me shorter rear dampeners than the front. They wouldn?t honor a return. My rear is so short I could only install it 3-4 threads deep so I won?t be on the damn ground. When I called and complained they told me ?they?re not meant for performance, only getting slammed? in their ?pro? coil pics the rear is obviously longer than the front, like all other s13 coilovers. PBM is trash. Hope they go out of business. End of rant
Old 06-30-2020, 07:09 AM   #14
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Quote:
Oh yeah, how do you like em? I gotta get a new set of coils.

I bought the Powered By Max ?Pro? coilovers and I fucking hate them. I bounce in mid drift and the worst part is they sent me shorter rear dampeners than the front. They wouldn?t honor a return. My rear is so short I could only install it 3-4 threads deep so I won?t be on the damn ground. When I called and complained they told me ?they?re not meant for performance, only getting slammed? in their ?pro? coil pics the rear is obviously longer than the front, like all other s13 coilovers. PBM is trash. Hope they go out of business. End of rant
I've seen some pretty catastrophic shit with their angle kits at the track. They must be using recycled animal bones or something.
Old 07-17-2020, 10:20 AM   #15
heliontr

heliontr is an unknown quantity at this point
What did you choose between the two?
heliontr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 05:02 PM   #16
Fitelite240!!
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
Fitelite240!! is making his/her stupidity well-knownFitelite240!! is making his/her stupidity well-knownFitelite240!! is making his/her stupidity well-knownFitelite240!! is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
3700$ gets you a brand new t56 mangum-F from granis with a quicktime bellhousing. 5200 gets you the 1200hp twin dice clutch. If your under 700ft lbs on your street car I'm sure the trans will last you a very very very long time. You can always send it to get needed up or repaired. Comes with a 1 year warranty.

Ill be making my purchase later this year.

Direct fit with no modifications to the tunnel in regards to shifter placement. This trans was specifically made for LS swaps in F-bodys and the s-chassis
Fitelite240!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:00 PM   #17
Farzam
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
Farzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
T56 magnum or bust

I had a tick Stg2 T56 and I liked that though
Old 07-20-2020, 02:31 PM   #18
DarkSlide77
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliontr View Post
What did you choose between the two?

I haven?t decided yet. I couldn?t find what gear ratios people were using with the CD but I finally found this. It?s from LS1TECH where a guy swapped an LS & CD into his e36. This is what he said??>

?I have looked at the gear ratios, and because of that I plan to swap the diff for a M3 diff (3.23). Currently the car has a 3.91 in the rear which will be useless with the CD009, and a 5.3. I would love to to go with a T56, and more than likely eventually will once I get the car on the road and drive it for awhile.?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...3-cd009-3.html

I don?t know if it being super short (with our stock 4.08) will be perfect for a ?drifting only car? or even too short for that. T56/or magnum F seems to be the way to go for me cuz I don?t wanna swap out my diff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2020, 02:39 PM   #19
DarkSlide77
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farzam View Post
T56 magnum or bust

I had a tick Stg2 T56 and I liked that though

Which was cheaper? If I could find a busted T56 and rebuild it with a stage 2 kit and save money.... I?m on a tight budget

Old 07-24-2020, 10:00 AM   #20
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitelite240!! View Post
5200 gets you the 1200hp twin dice clutch.
Is that a typo, I see some Tilton twin disc is $1300 and there are some for 900~ but nothing $5000 for a clutch

I was thinking of this one, but with sprung hub:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tilton-55-2...cAAOSwOFZe4D8i

comment? New to T-56
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 10:06 AM   #21
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

I think he meant in addition to the transmission. This would be the full package price.
Old 07-24-2020, 10:12 AM   #22
Fitelite240!!
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
Fitelite240!! is making his/her stupidity well-knownFitelite240!! is making his/her stupidity well-knownFitelite240!! is making his/her stupidity well-knownFitelite240!! is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
I think he meant in addition to the transmission. This would be the full package price.
Thanks for the assist. Lol yes full price with trans
Fitelite240!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 12:20 PM   #23
l3eltinck
Leaky Injector

l3eltinck is making his/her stupidity well-knownl3eltinck is making his/her stupidity well-knownl3eltinck is making his/her stupidity well-known
Quote:
I haven?t decided yet. I couldn?t find what gear ratios people were using with the CD but I finally found this. It?s from LS1TECH where a guy swapped an LS & CD into his e36. This is what he said??>

I don?t know if it being super short (with our stock 4.08) will be perfect for a ?drifting only car? or even too short for that. T56/or magnum F seems to be the way to go for me cuz I don?t wanna swap out my diff.

Those were in 350z's already... You think you've really got it all figured out?
l3eltinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 12:38 PM   #24
DarkSlide77
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3eltinck View Post
Those were in 350z's already... You think you've really got it all figured out?

Exactly. Their diff is different than ours. That?s why I don?t know if I mate a CD with 4.08 if it?ll be way too short. I?m not finding much when searching so no I don?t have it figured out.

While back I spoke with the guy who won lone star drift series and he said he always just used the 4.08. I figure if it?s good nuff for him it?s good nuff for me. Except he had a true sequential dogbox with an LS7. Dont know the rates of the dog box....

Old 08-03-2020, 01:58 PM   #25
l3eltinck
Leaky Injector

l3eltinck is making his/her stupidity well-knownl3eltinck is making his/her stupidity well-knownl3eltinck is making his/her stupidity well-known
Figure out how to do the math yourself. I think you're in for a surprise.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:10 PM   #26
DarkSlide77
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Figure out how to do the math yourself. I think you're in for a surprise.

Sure, I will. Math for what exactly?
For the CD to the 4.08
OR for the Magnum F to the 4.08

I?ve plugged them both into gear ratio calculators already, If that?s what you?re talking about. This will be a car built for drifting, so It?s ok if it?s close. Thanks for sharing your 2 cents.

Old 08-03-2020, 06:37 PM   #27
l3eltinck
Leaky Injector

Show us the chart?
Old 08-03-2020, 06:47 PM   #28
DarkSlide77
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Show us the chart?

I did in the thread ?R200 finals? just search and you?ll see it there. And before you mention it, I plugged it in at 3000 rpm because that?s where I?ll most likely clutch kick from 2000-3000rpm. I wanted to know the speed I?ll be in each gear where I?d clutch kick [emoji6][emoji108]

Old 08-03-2020, 07:04 PM   #29
DarkSlide77
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Show us the chart?
I had a hard time finding it myself when searching. So do an advanced search and select ?search titles only? not search posts. You?ll see it