Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:01 AM   #1
CrudeTech

Trader Rating: (0)
CrudeTech is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s13 R31 steering shaft bushing on an S13, let me know if I'm wrong

Here's the situation: I have a solid aluminum steering shaft bushing on my 180SX and it's sending so much vibrations through the column and the whole dashboard I can't hear the radio. I know, you don't have to say it.

Let me know if this makes sense: the GKTEK aluminum bushings for the S13 are also compatible with the R31 chassis according to the website. Am I safe in assuming that a regular R31 rubber (or poly) bushing would fit on an S13 shaft?

If that's the case, it means that the Whiteline W11217 and the Nolathan 41089 could be installed on my 180SX and get that nasty NVH back in check.

I looked at a DIY drawing for dimensions and it looks like both bushing are close enough to fit.
CrudeTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2017, 03:51 AM   #2
rawgarage
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (75)
rawgarage is making a name for him/her selfrawgarage is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 75 reviews
Try and see....
rawgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 07:37 PM   #3
DiscountPirate
Zilvia Member

DiscountPirate is an unknown quantity at this point
Your problem is not a solid steering shaft spacer, unless you got one of the crappy cheap ones that are just a disc with holes. A proper aluminum shaft bushing should have little elevated straight sections on each side that fit the coupler and mimic the shape of the stock one. If you are using a solid bushing that allows side to side play for vibration, remove it immediately and put a stock one back on. A proper aluminum steering bushing (I think it's called a giubo) will not increase baseline NVH if everything else is right.
DiscountPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:26 PM   #4
CrudeTech

CrudeTech is an unknown quantity at this point
The ISR spacer I put it is a metal disk with holes. The vibrations are made worse by the poly engine and transmission mounts. The bushing is waiting for me at the post office. I will post an update as soon as it is in.
CrudeTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 12:00 AM   #5
DiscountPirate
Zilvia Member

DiscountPirate is an unknown quantity at this point
You should feel increased steering response and maybe bump steer, but not vibration with those mods. The S13 can have a lot of things wrong with it and still drive pretty damn straight, it's not that tightly wound. I have similar mods but my spacer is pro old school jdm and mimic'ed the stock spacer and was kind of offset so to speak with the machining to fit in the couplers perfectly.
DiscountPirate is offline   Reply With Quote