Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:09 PM   #1
bigjacsoc
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
bigjacsoc is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Major steering wheel wobble after aluminum steering bushing install

Video:

http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/i...t=100_1376.flv

I installed an aluminum steering bushing (the one that goes in the firewall) along with Energy Suspension rack bushings. The rack bushings went in smooth because I had the engine out and replaced the rack with one that isn't cracked. I got it all bolted up and checked that the knuckle where the column meets the rack had the bolts perfectly centered where they would pass in between the 2 sets of splines smooth.

I turned the passenger side wheel to make sure it was all good, and first I notice that the steering wheel is wobbling like crazy up and down, and after that I noticed that the part that sticks off the rack and has the splines was moving back and forth and is causing the whole rack to rotate inside the bushings.

After this I took the upper bolt that holds the column splines in place and turned the wheel and saw that the splines were sliding in and out of the knuckle and also that it looked as though the column wasn't going in a straight line from the steering wheel and is slightly crooked.

Anyway, has anyone done this aluminum bushing install and had this problem? If you have and this didn't happen please let me know. My motor is going in on Monday and pretty much NEED to get this resolved before then because of the lack of space to operate with the motor in. If you have not experienced this problem I will have to take the column out and see if I put one of the 4 little metal bushings crooked when putting them into the bushings.

Also I can get a video if you cannot understand the situation.

All help is appreciated, thank you.

Last edited by bigjacsoc; 08-07-2009 at 10:26 PM..
bigjacsoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2009, 08:16 PM   #2
bigjacsoc
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
bigjacsoc is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cliff Notes:

I installed an aluminum steering bushing and now my steering wheel wobbles horrible and the splines move in and out of the knuckle on my rack. Is the column crooked, or does it just do that?
bigjacsoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 12:04 AM   #3
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
You used the aluminum rings that were originally on the rubber spacer?

Did you make sure to tighten down the bolt that clamps the splines to the rack?

I had a little wobble on mine for some reason. I wish I could be of more help, but I got rid of my car a while ago.

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:31 AM   #4
kalypso123
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡

Trader Rating: (2)
kalypso123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjacsoc View Post
Cliff Notes:

I installed an aluminum steering bushing and now my steering wheel wobbles horrible and the splines move in and out of the knuckle on my rack. Is the column crooked, or does it just do that?
love the cliff notes... perfect
kalypso123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:08 AM   #5
khoadogg
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
khoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to khoadogg
solved? I forgot to put in the metal "batman" things on the spacer but it's hard to remove it and reinstall it