Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:38 AM   #1
DLo Eric
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
DLo Eric has a reputation beyond reputeDLo Eric has a reputation beyond reputeDLo Eric has a reputation beyond reputeDLo Eric has a reputation beyond reputeDLo Eric has a reputation beyond reputeDLo Eric has a reputation beyond reputeDLo Eric has a reputation beyond reputeDLo Eric has a reputation beyond reputeDLo Eric has a reputation beyond reputeDLo Eric has a reputation beyond reputeDLo Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Engine Vibration at 4k+ RPMs

For the past few years I've been running some solid motor mounts that basically look like these

Same material for the tranny mount. So everything that goes on I can literally feel. I can feel a vibration difference in knock from 91 octane to 100 octane.

Now my problem is that ever since I went to these solid mounts I've been having a harsher than normal vibration from 4k+. There isnt any power loss and its directly from the engine and since I'm doing maintenance on my car I thought I'd try to tackle this problem since it's been bugging me for the past 2 years. My wideband isnt showing any dips/spikes at 4k and my SAFC isnt showing any knock either.

Its constant within all 5 gears which makes it unbearable to drive faster than 85 mph in 5th gear. I dont believe anything is loose, I've upgraded/replaced/removed/re-installed most of the exhaust/turbo components within the past 2 years and still the same vibration.

My assumption would be that RAS would help, what should I do?
DLo Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2008, 02:31 PM   #2
s14unimog
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (22)
s14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s14unimog
I don't know why yours is doing that but my SR has a horribly loud rattle in the exhaust at 4k RPM. I don't think its a performance related issue but more so that something is loose or broken and the SR makes it apparent at 4k because that must be a resonant frequency of the motors sound.... Kinda like when everything in your interior vibrates a bunch at a certain RPM.

This may be totally wrong but it sounds good. Now if I can only figure out what the fu*k that noise is!

SHIFTlock_slide to side

d3m3rs0n: if i have a baby im naming it Brandons Fault Emerson
s14unimog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:36 PM   #3
aNskY
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
aNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to aNskY
Quote:
Originally Posted by s14unimog View Post
I don't know why yours is doing that but my SR has a horribly loud rattle in the exhaust at 4k RPM. I don't think its a performance related issue but more so that something is loose or broken and the SR makes it apparent at 4k because that must be a resonant frequency of the motors sound.... Kinda like when everything in your interior vibrates a bunch at a certain RPM.

This may be totally wrong but it sounds good. Now if I can only figure out what the fu*k that noise is!

shit i thought i was the only one who had that problem
aNskY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 05:59 AM   #4
verge513
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
verge513 is making a name for him/her selfverge513 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
yea could be the resonates...or that youre solid motor mounts are transfering all the engine vibrations. try either changing to a diffrent muffler to change the pitch on the engine, or go back to rubber or urthan engine mounts.. also look to see if youre transmission is touching anywhere. i had that problem in my sonoma and it pretty much rattled the whole cab at certain rpms
verge513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 03:36 PM   #5
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
I had a strange rattle at 4k RPM on my KA24DE. It ended up being the heat shield on the exhaust manifold.