Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 03-29-2008, 02:46 PM   #1
Neejay
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Neejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
halp! can't get cam sprockets + chain back on

I relieved the upper-left tensioner, but I can't get the cam sprockets back on the cams + timing chain. I can get the sprockets on, but then the chain seems too small.

Question though, are the sprockets different for intake and exhaust cams? I'm doing the 248/232 cam swap, but I just realized that I was trying to use my intake sprocket on the 248 exhaust cam.

I've tried doing one at a time, and both at the same time (slightly working them on).

What am I missing?
Neejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2008, 12:28 AM   #2
KA-T_240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
KA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
both sprokets are the same. Do them one at a time, starting with the exhaust cam.

You may have to have a wrench and adjust the cam a bit. Its a tight fit. Especailly if you do not put the stuff on in just the right order.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:22 AM   #3
Neejay
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Neejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Done, kinda. I just didn't update the post/reply back.

You're right: I had to put the intake sprocket on first + chain, then work the other sprocket on. It was a tight fit, but it was slightly off (like it was a machining difference - I just used the end of a wrench + hammer, lightly).

Now my timings off and Im going to have to have it towed to this local shop.

I've already set engine TDC + set distributor TDC + had my friend crank my engine while I turn the distributor left and right. No dice.
Neejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:27 AM   #4
louisdaboois
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (28)
louisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
i suppose for future reference, I found it easier to set the cams where they are supposed to be at TDC loosened the cam caps a little just to get them to slope down to get the sprockets on. Then i tightened the sprockets just hand tight, then slowly torqued the cam caps to spec and finished up with the sprockets.
louisdaboois is offline   Reply With Quote