Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-20-2020, 09:22 AM   #1
luke100

Trader Rating: (0)
luke100 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Strange sound after tightening belts

Belts were squealing so i decided to go through and tigthen them. I went to start the car and now it sounds worse and doesnt sound like belt squeal

This is a video of how it sounds
https://youtu.be/5V0A_YbpLCo

Pls help!
luke100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2020, 09:49 AM   #2
NukeKS14
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
NukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sounds like the bearings on your idler pulley or another pulley ate it.

https://www.nicoclub.com/service-man...14-SR20DET.pdf

MA-12 page for setting proper belt tension. What I'd do if it were me would be to remove the serpentine belts and try to spin the idler pulley and other pulleys by hand. Youll find out in short order which one needs replacing.
NukeKS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 03:34 PM   #3
OnTheChip
Zilvia Junkie

OnTheChip is an unknown quantity at this point
Fan clutch maybe?
OnTheChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 04:56 PM   #4
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke100 View Post
Belts were squealing so i decided to go through and tigthen them. I went to start the car and now it sounds worse and doesnt sound like belt squeal
This is a video of how it sounds
https://youtu.be/5V0A_YbpLCo
Pls help!
step one: INSPECT the belt. don't just tighten it arbitrarily
step two: remove all belts and spin the pullies by hand. when you find the one that feels like gravel, you have your culprit.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 08:01 AM   #5
frsh2fourty

frsh2fourty has a spectacular aura aboutfrsh2fourty has a spectacular aura aboutfrsh2fourty has a spectacular aura aboutfrsh2fourty has a spectacular aura aboutfrsh2fourty has a spectacular aura aboutfrsh2fourty has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to frsh2fourty
Thats what my a/c compressor sounded like before it started blowing sparks out the clutch and locked up.
frsh2fourty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 08:54 PM   #6
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
to reiterate

check how all accessories feel like by hand
turn them off 1 by one to see which one is making the noise
theres a chance an accessory is about to fail

inspect belt visually and by touch

also
never overtighten a belt
Its worse to over than under. I always leave them a little loose them tighten if necessary.
and I recommend
always carry spare belts and other consumables like fuel pump and spark plugs, a spare coil pack, spare igniter maybe
and when it comes to s13 sr20det engines always keep a spare power steering and alternator handy minimum
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 10:38 PM   #7
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
always carry spare belts and other consumables like fuel pump and spark plugs, a spare coil pack, spare igniter maybe
and when it comes to s13 sr20det engines always keep a spare power steering and alternator handy minimum
Yeah, I change my fuel pump and spark plugs on the side of the road all the time.
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 10:22 AM   #8
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalmoron View Post
Yeah, I change my fuel pump and spark plugs on the side of the road all the time.
I've changed fuel pumps in my s13 a few times on the side of the highway, or at a track event.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 04:58 PM   #9
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
I've changed fuel pumps in my s13 a few times on the side of the highway, or at a track event.
Ehh I get carrying one failure prone show-stopping sensor or something, but when you're carrying a spare car in your glovebox.... maybe just expect to hitchike to autozone if your car breaks?
Old 04-22-2020, 05:12 PM   #10
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalmoron View Post
Ehh I get carrying one failure prone show-stopping sensor or something, but when you're carrying a spare car in your glovebox.... maybe just expect to hitchike to autozone if your car breaks?
a fuel pump for this car to get you home is like $23.13 shipped and it weighs around 1lb and takes up almost no space.

So yeah Im going to carry anything that cheap and that light and I recommend anyone with the type of vehicle that could shit a performance part at any second do so as well

you dont need to carry expensive parts just the basics, Often I won't carry a spare tire either (due to lsd concerns) just a tire plug kit and air pump.

Part of the reason I started carrying so many of these things was because back in the day I would have to tune a couple of cars like mine in a day (sr20 setups or whatever) and it was very handy to have a spare igniter, coils, plugs, etc... on hand to help out with diagnostics and often I would be leaving this or that behind to help someone out. I weighed out and made a 'kit' of sorts with various necessities, most of which fit into the 240sx quarter
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 11:53 PM   #11
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
a fuel pump for this car to get you home is like $23.13 shipped and it weighs around 1lb and takes up almost no space.

So yeah Im going to carry anything that cheap and that light and I recommend anyone with the type of vehicle that could shit a performance part at any second do so as well

you dont need to carry expensive parts just the basics, Often I won't carry a spare tire either (due to lsd concerns) just a tire plug kit and air pump.

Part of the reason I started carrying so many of these things was because back in the day I would have to tune a couple of cars like mine in a day (sr20 setups or whatever) and it was very handy to have a spare igniter, coils, plugs, etc... on hand to help out with diagnostics and often I would be leaving this or that behind to help someone out. I weighed out and made a 'kit' of sorts with various necessities, most of which fit into the 240sx quarter
Well you got me with plug kit and air pump - I just generally think of fuel pumps as a once in a blue moon/200k part. The access panel makes it a roadside job and all, I know.

But I sure like having my car buttoned up like an airplane - if I have to set it down, I expect to bring my truck to recover it. The truck's a fixn' barge, can carry anything it and any other vehicle needs, or transport it.

And if you depend on a vehicle, of any age or type, you pretty much need a second vehicle, you know?
Old 04-23-2020, 04:03 AM   #12
luke100

So spinning my idler pulley by hand sounds like this
https://youtu.be/TLeHwmrErYg

Is it safe to say thats what the issue is? If it is, would i have to buy a replacement? Or could i ask around locally and buy a used one from someone?

I also span all the other pulleys by hand and they were quiet.

Thanks
Old 04-23-2020, 05:56 AM   #13
NukeKS14
Zilvia Member

NukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really nice
Quote:
So spinning my idler pulley by hand sounds like this
https://youtu.be/TLeHwmrErYg

Is it safe to say thats what the issue is? If it is, would i have to buy a replacement? Or could i ask around locally and buy a used one from someone?

I also span all the other pulleys by hand and they were quiet.

Thanks

I think you already know the answer to your first question. It should be silent or just about. That thing is TOAST.

Why put another used one in there? It's a pulley with bearings. They dont last forever and this isnt a big money part. You could roll the dice or just get the new part and know it's going to stay fixed.

The whole part OEM is less than $100 USD. I'm confidant they make aftermarket versions for cheaper. Not sure what parts stores you have but here's the part number from the dealership; M-11925-65F03

Also make sure you follow the fsm in my initial reply for setting proper belt tension. You can really damage other components and shorten their life by overtightening the belt. The arrows are where you check for deflection.

Also inspect your belts for wear while you're in there. flip them inside out and inspect for cracks along the radius as they bend and for signs of wear. Seized pulleys will damage the belt too. The idler pulley is only for your A/C compressor drive. It's possible to run without that one specific belt but you'll want the one for the power steering and DEFINITELY the one that drives your alternator and water pump.

Last edited by NukeKS14; 04-23-2020 at 06:19 AM.. Reason: link to part #
Old 04-23-2020, 07:43 AM   #14
luke100

ok thanks. i have bought new belts so ill just put them on and make sure i dont over tighten them.

if i decide to run without that belt do i just tighten everything up and leave the belt off? or do i take the idler puller off as well?
Old 04-23-2020, 08:41 AM   #15
NukeKS14
Zilvia Member

Quote:
ok thanks. i have bought new belts so ill just put them on and make sure i dont over tighten them.

if i decide to run without that belt do i just tighten everything up and leave the belt off? or do i take the idler puller off as well?
Wont matter. Either way is fine. I'd just leave the AC belt off and keep the pulley there so you have an easy reference when you go to install the new pulley.

Last edited by NukeKS14; 04-23-2020 at 09:00 AM.. Reason: clarification.
Old 04-23-2020, 09:05 AM   #16
Tieny

Tieny is an unknown quantity at this point
That's the exact sound that's coming from my 5spd tranny lol
Definitely sounds just like a bad or misaligned bearing on one of your accessory pulleys.
Tieny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 12:50 AM   #17
luke100

So i took all of the belts off and put a new power steering and alternator belt on, no belt for the idler pulley. and now the car wont start at all lol...

could i have damaged the alternator somehow? or does there need to be a belt for the idler pulley?
Old 04-25-2020, 01:10 AM   #18
Tieny

Tieny is an unknown quantity at this point
Bad alternator shouldn’t cause a no start if your battery is still good and charged. What is it doing? Crank no start? No crank? Just a click? could be a separate unrelated issue or check if you forgot to plug something else in, ie. MAF sensor, loose ground, etc
Tieny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 04:03 AM   #19
luke100

lol my bad the battery died. was just stressing at the time. still doesnt sound quite right with the new belts and no belt on the idler pulley but ill look at that tomorrow.
Old 04-27-2020, 02:21 AM   #20
luke100

This is with no belt on the idler pulley

https://youtu.be/JpC6U0SbqU4

Could it be a bad PS pump?
Old 04-27-2020, 08:23 AM   #21
OnTheChip