Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-17-2006, 04:19 PM   #1
shayrgob240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
shayrgob240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to shayrgob240
Speed sensor wiring

just put a 5 speed in my car and I'm not sure how to wire the speed sensor. The speed sensor has 2 wires (black and green) and the A/T harness side has black, white, and gray. So which of those 2 wire do I need and what do I hook them up to? I searched btw.
shayrgob240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2006, 08:42 PM   #2
shayrgob240
Zilvia Junkie

Well, I got impatient and I hooked up the green wire to pin #27 (speedometer) on the auto control unit harness and I took the black wire and ran that to ground.

So then I attempted to turn the car on and everything went dead (all teh dash lights). Then I tried again and everything was off. So then I disconnected the neg. battery cable and then put it back on and when I turn the key in the ignition to Accy. the lights turn on but I'm afraid of something happening if I try to crank it again.

So did I wire it right or no? and if not, how am I supposed to do this?
Old 05-18-2006, 09:21 AM   #3
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
VSS is identical on auto and maual transmisisons as far as wiring. Same location, same plug, same harness.

The unit you played with is the revolution sensor, it's an auto part only.
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 11:28 AM   #4
shayrgob240
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by R240NA
VSS is identical on auto and maual transmisisons as far as wiring. Same location, same plug, same harness.

The unit you played with is the revolution sensor, it's an auto part only.
I don't get it.Are u saying that my speed sesnor just plugs into the harness? B/c it doesn't. The connector on the auto harness side has 3 wires while my speed sensor has 2. So how would that work? And those wires go to the A/T control unit and then to the ECU, right? So I guess I should plug the a/t control unit up again and then run the wires to the old connector so that it's sort of like how it used to be. Please explain a little more. thanks
Old 05-18-2006, 12:19 PM   #5
xka24detx
Zilvia Member

xka24detx is an unknown quantity at this point
look under the car, there should be a harness that should exactly mate up with the harness for the speed sensor, i thought i had to splice too until i found the harness, speed sensor should be plug and play
xka24detx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 01:00 PM   #6
shayrgob240
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xka24detx
look under the car, there should be a harness that should exactly mate up with the harness for the speed sensor, i thought i had to splice too until i found the harness, speed sensor should be plug and play
found it. I has a red and a red/yellow wire in it. The thing is that my speed sensor connector won't fit into it. I don't think I have the right sensor anyway. It has a green and a black wire. OR can I get that to work? Maybe just splice them together or do I need a speed sensor w/ the red and red/yellow wires?

thanks!
Old 05-18-2006, 03:53 PM   #7
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by shayrgob240
I don't get it.Are u saying that my speed sesnor just plugs into the harness? B/c it doesn't. The connector on the auto harness side has 3 wires while my speed sensor has 2. So how would that work? And those wires go to the A/T control unit and then to the ECU, right? So I guess I should plug the a/t control unit up again and then run the wires to the old connector so that it's sort of like how it used to be. Please explain a little more. thanks
Jesus, I can't believe I'm having to answer this. The speed sensor on the manual is in the EXACT SAME LOCATION as your automatic transmisison. Tail shaft end, passenger side, down low, secured with an M8 bolt. The 3pin sensor you're dealing is the revolution sensor. The revolution sensor is an auto part only and does not read, calculate, or signal vehicle speed. I could swear I already typed that, why the fuck do I answer questions if people can't fucking read?

Anyway, if you're still lost there you need to start over with a bicycle. If the sensor you have has a red and red/yellow then it's an S14 VSS, not an S13 VSS, and it won't work (unless your car is an S14, you didn't say). S13 VSS is green and black coming off a long lead to the firewall area. S14 VSS is a direct plug in.

S14 VSS = S14 cluster. S13 VSS = S13 cluster.
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 05:41 PM   #8
shayrgob240
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by R240NA
Jesus, I can't believe I'm having to answer this. The speed sensor on the manual is in the EXACT SAME LOCATION as your automatic transmisison. Tail shaft end, passenger side, down low, secured with an M8 bolt. The 3pin sensor you're dealing is the revolution sensor. The revolution sensor is an auto part only and does not read, calculate, or signal vehicle speed. I could swear I already typed that, why the fuck do I answer questions if people can't fucking read?

Anyway, if you're still lost there you need to start over with a bicycle. If the sensor you have has a red and red/yellow then it's an S14 VSS, not an S13 VSS, and it won't work (unless your car is an S14, you didn't say). S13 VSS is green and black coming off a long lead to the firewall area. S14 VSS is a direct plug in.

S14 VSS = S14 cluster. S13 VSS = S13 cluster.
why won't my s13 speed sensor not work w/ my s14? What is the difference between s13 and s14 speed sensors?
Old 05-18-2006, 08:10 PM   #9
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
The signals each sensor sends out is different, and only the matching cluster will be able to read it.

If you insist on mix and match you need a calibrator in between. As of right now I don't have a working prototype. I'll update as soon as I have something. Sorry but that's the best you have right now.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 12:13 PM   #10
Punang31

Punang31 is an unknown quantity at this point
anyone ever figured out how to calibrate s13 vss to s14 cluster?
Punang31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 12:22 PM   #11
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Yeah you remove it and install an S14 speed sensor lol.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote