Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 07-01-2019, 07:24 PM   #31
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

Trader Rating: (392)
CrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 392 reviews
We got started on the interior sound deadening. The 50sq ft roll got us pretty far, but we still have a few areas I'd like to cover before the interior goes back in. Ordering a bit more to wrap up the remainder portions.

We'll be focusing on the exterior brackets this week(bumper brackets/retainers, aero hardware, etc). Should have most of it reassembled by the weekend.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Generally you can eat my asshole.
CrimsonRockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2019, 10:55 AM   #32
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

CrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfection
Took some time to refinish the heat shields, dash bar, and mounting brackets for the bumpers/fenders.

People keep asking me if this is meant to be a show car. Honestly, it's not. I'd like to blame it on my OCD, but I hate having to do things twice. I feel it's worth the extra effort to just refinish these few things while they are off the car. I don't exactly plan on rebuilding these cars every few years.

Used some original panels to compare the new finish.

This one was quick. I know you'll never see it, but I just hate how rusty it is behind the dash.

I need to buy an actual table to work outside.

I had asked the painter to mask the black trim that went around the door handle, but that didn't happen. It bothers me, but my brother was fine with it.

Mocked up the refinished bumper retainer. I love that "new" feel.

This is every last part that will be powder coated. I had my friend Jason (IG: godrifttoday) weld up the GKTech reinforcement plates on the subframe. I'll be taking detailed pictures of that as soon as I have it coated.

Part of the process in "restoring" the chassis, I would hate to run parts that look worn. These Greddy strut bars were in decent shape, but I knew a quick wet sand/polish would make them look amazing.

I also invested in a blasting cabinet from Harbor Freight. I know the earlier models leaked like crazy, but Harbor Freight's current version is actually way better than I expected. I had done a good bit of research before committing to the purchase and immediately upgraded the gun and caulked all of the inside. Other than upgrading the lighting and running a better seal on the door, this thing is great.

This will make blasting and powder coating smaller parts from home a breeze.

I have a few smaller pieces left to finish, but I'm glad the car is coming together.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Old 07-18-2019, 08:51 AM   #33
Ashchetum

Trader Rating: (0)
Ashchetum is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It's threads like this that make me want to sell my s14 and try over again on a cleaner car. This is awesome work keep it up!
Ashchetum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:47 PM   #34
Malik
Nissanaholic!

Malik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant future
very nice job
Malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:01 PM   #35
koukizhang
Zilvia Member

koukizhang is on a distinguished road
This is awesome. Keep it up!
koukizhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 09:13 AM   #36
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

At a bit of a standstill until my $500 worth of cutting/buffing supplies shows up.

In the meantime, we replaced the OEM fuel lines on the tank with 4AN that can also support E85 if we decided to go that route in the future.

The braided 4AN is just a bit smaller than the OEM hose size. I'm hoping it doesn't cause any issues once the motor is in.

I didn't take pictures of it, but I did add a few strips of high density foam tape to the fuel tank in hopes of preventing cracks.

One of the commonly overlooked areas when running aluminum subframe bushings is how close it actually sits to the fuel tank. I do believe this could potentially be one of the leading issues as to why people end up with cracked fuel tanks. I'll be keeping an eye on the fuel tank clearance as soon as we get the subframe reinstalled.

One of my goals is to reinstall as much as we can within the next few weeks to clear storage space. Anyone who has done a complete rebuild/restoration will definitely understand just how much space parts take up when they're off a car. Even being somewhat organized, I have one storage shed filled to the top with parts from this car and other miscellaneous parts in my garage.

We cleaned up and threw on the Fortune Auto coilovers. I'd love to run all new parts on this build, but realistically with it going to my younger brother and since this is all being put together from spare stuff I've held onto over the years, I'm trying to be as "frugal" as I can.

One thing I overlooked when refinishing the retainer was hammering flat an area that sits right above the Greddy intercooler. I trimmed this area on my blue Kouki, but it also made that section of the bumper retainer very thin and I really would like to avoid sagging issues down the line. It is slightly off center, but getting it to bolt on won't be an issue come final assembly.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Old 07-23-2019, 10:50 AM   #37
koukizhang
Zilvia Member

koukizhang is on a distinguished road
Please keep it up so I can live vicariously through you. My car is a hack job in comparison. Always wanted to build it as thorough as you are.
koukizhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:06 PM   #38
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

RVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really nice
Such great stuff here! I really should get a blasting cabinet.
RVAE34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 06:49 PM   #39
boatwright_doug
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
boatwright_doug has a spectacular aura aboutboatwright_doug has a spectacular aura aboutboatwright_doug has a spectacular aura aboutboatwright_doug has a spectacular aura aboutboatwright_doug has a spectacular aura aboutboatwright_doug has a spectacular aura aboutboatwright_doug has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Reading your thread is giving me jitter bugs to fly home and get back to working on my s14. OEM + style, next is turbo (motor is fully built), interior then aero! Definitely sharing this.
Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
boatwright_doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:25 PM   #40
dreaMervaj
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (18)
dreaMervaj is making his/her stupidity well-knowndreaMervaj is making his/her stupidity well-knowndreaMervaj is making his/her stupidity well-knowndreaMervaj is making his/her stupidity well-knowndreaMervaj is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
How did you modify the bumper support? Are you using the OEM bracket to bolt to the chassis?
dreaMervaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:00 PM   #41
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaMervaj View Post
How did you modify the bumper support? Are you using the OEM bracket to bolt to the chassis?
It wasn't difficult. There's a small edge you basically hammer flat on the bumper retainer. That alone gives you the clearance you need over the intercooler. I'm sure it also depends on what brand intercooler you run.

Keeping all OEM brackets. I have nothing against "bash bars" and all that, but they're just not for me.

Not much has happened as far as progress goes unfortunately. I've been prioritizing on spending time with my family, shows/concerts, and clearing out a good chunk of parts I've managed to hoard over the years.

Bulletproof came through for me again and finished my Safety 21 cage, rear subframe, crossmember, Nismo brace, and Tanabe swaybars. I was a bit hesitant at first with the red and gold combo, but I'm glad I did. Several other suspension pieces will also be in the same gold as well as the brake calipers and other smaller bits.

The flake is hard to capture in the gold, but it looks amazing in person.

Huge thanks to Bulletproof for taking care of me and Jason @godrifttoday for welding up the GKTech plates on the subframe.

I did finally say goodbye to an old friend. The Drift Speed S15 is off to Ohio to its new owner who plans on restoring it to its former glory.

...but I did replace it with something better.

R34 GTT with OEM GTR conversion.

The OEM rear quarter panels will be arriving soon and I am currently sourcing the last remainder OEM R34 GTR exterior bits before this will be sent out for a complete exterior and engine bay respray.

No plans to do a complete GTR drivetrain conversion as that would be a bit excessive for what I have in mind. Figured I can keep it RWD and have fun with it before eventually buying a proper R34 GTR.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Old 09-24-2019, 01:11 PM   #42
S14rebuild
BANNED

Trader Rating: (8)
S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
R34 looks funny with non gtr rear quarters...super excited to see that done.

Was...<> this close to selling my car and buyn ur s15. Hope whongot it does it right!
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 02:08 PM   #43
240_

240_ is an unknown quantity at this point
such a clean restoration.
240_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:52 AM   #44
austinth0rnt0n

austinth0rnt0n is an unknown quantity at this point
Such an awesome build thread, this makes me a bit more eager to tackle the undercoating project. Also now waiting on the R34 thread to start lol. Keep up the awesome work!
austinth0rnt0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 05:28 PM   #45
97street_pearl
Leaky Injector

97street_pearl is an unknown quantity at this point
Can't wait to see this finished up, keep up the good work!
Old 01-29-2020, 05:46 PM   #46
S14rebuild
BANNED

S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14rebuild View Post

Was...<> this close to selling my car and buyn ur s15. Hope whongot it does it right!
Was thinkn the same thing.

Who ever bought that s15 better do it right!!
Old 01-30-2020, 06:14 AM   #47
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Always good to see this kind of work getting done. I'll be watching this thread for sure.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:37 AM   #48
[240sx]
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
S14rebuild,quoting S14rebuild,quoting S14rebuild? Quoting...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
[240sx] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 05:05 PM   #49
S14rebuild
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by [240sx] View Post

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Lmao! I was drunk n soo missed the last part of ur post

TWINS

Updates on s14, its been a inspiring build for my car, attention to detail n new oem components...
Old 01-31-2020, 04:34 PM   #50
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

Quote:

I did manage to order an R34 GTR OEM rear bumper. Now only need a few exterior bits to complete my exterior plans for the chassis. Also set aside a pair of seats, steering wheel set up, and brake system for it that I'll take pictures of later on.

I will be able to update this thread within the next few weeks.

I've had far too many distractions to really make progress on any of my cars. Now that my kids aren't sick and the weather is getting better, I will finally get back on to posting updates.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Old 01-31-2020, 07:45 PM   #51
S14rebuild
BANNED

https://youtu.be/zXRAgDy4QG4

You should def peep this guys channel...you 2 are on the same level and would luv the attention to detail. He did the same thing as u are but to an r34....
Old 02-01-2020, 02:22 AM   #52
Initial Drift
Premium Member

Initial Drift has disabled reputation
Dang. You make most other builds look like shit.

When you refinished the heat shields was it just a high heat paint?

The idea of media blasting to clean parts is pretty awesome. I know Finnegan just recently had episode where he installed a nice cabinet and then had someone explain all the types of media you can use.

What type of media did you end up using on the calipers and other items?
Initial Drift is offline   Reply With Quote