Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #91
EDacIouSX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
EDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to EDacIouSX Send a message via AIM to EDacIouSX Send a message via MSN to EDacIouSX Send a message via Yahoo to EDacIouSX
I have a stock one in my 96 14 and a b&m in my 95. I know there's a difference but i've never really cared for short shifters. I have no issues at all driving the stock one over my b&m and vice versa. this is obviously a personal preference thing.
EDacIouSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2013, 02:32 PM   #92
russian
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
russian is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to russian
it all depends on what you use the car for and the motor/tranny setup.

for ka/sr - ebay shifters are junk.
B&M feels to grindy. for drifting i preferred stock shifter and took b&m out and sold it.

for LSX
5.0 shifter hands down. best mod to the drivetrain.
hurst/b&m cant compare.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:21 PM   #93
S12 Drifter
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
S12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I'm looking for a short shifter for my 71C not sure if i should get a isis V2 or fork out the money for a tomei/greddy.

does tomei even make shifters for the S chassis 71C anymore?
S12 Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #94
206sx
Leaky Injector

206sx is an unknown quantity at this point
B&M short shifter with solid bushing
206sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #95
240boi115
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
240boi115 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
anyone use the nismo short shifter? i heard it was pretty nice as well.
my 240 broke down..again
240boi115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:20 PM   #96
Ramonesfreak2010
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
Ramonesfreak2010 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Isis short shifter with oem bushing. No problems. Been running it for over 3 years.
Ramonesfreak2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:27 PM   #97
blessedhellrider
Zilvia Member

blessedhellrider is an unknown quantity at this point
cheap ass OBX from 10 years ago . don't rattle !!!
Old 06-07-2013, 05:58 PM   #98
S12 Drifter
Zilvia Junkie

S12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240boi115 View Post
I have a friend with a nismo shifter in his 71c trans ITS AMAZING! i tried buy it off him but he wont sell it

i would totally buy it if i could.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:04 PM   #99
RiskyRick
Zilvia Member

RiskyRick is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by russian View Post
for LSX
5.0 shifter hands down. best mod to the drivetrain.
hurst/b&m cant compare.
MGW>Pro 5.0
RiskyRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #100
Rustys14
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
Rustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Figured I would chime in since I have a B&M in my hatch and a Isis in my coupe.

The B&M is really crisp and has almost too short of a throw but I do like it a lot. I have the V2 and my only real complaint is that it starts to rattle around 5k rpm but I got used to it. I have had it for about 4 years in two different cars and it still feels the same as the day I got it. Its defiantly worth the money.

The Isis feels about the same as the B&M but it doesn't rattle at all. One major complaint that I have about it though is that there is some play in the shaft itself. Its pretty solid but if I turn the shift knob the whole shaft turns about a 1/4 inch. While this doesn't really affect functionality, it is a little irritating. I haven't had it very long so we'll see about longevity but I'm pretty pleased with what I got for the $45 dollars I paid for it on Ebay (wasn't sold as Isis but came in a Isis box). Now going back and forth between cars isn't as weird lol.
Rustys14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:38 PM   #101
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Quote:
The Nismo shifter for the S-chasis is NOT actually a short shifter. They are solid shifters. They have the same geometry as the stock shifter while eliminating the rubber bushing in the stock one. The throw is not any shorter...

I currently have a B&M shifter and IMO it's too notchy for my tastes. It is very precise and it does not rattle at all, but the feel isn't how I like. I'm considering "trading it in" for a Tomei shifter that's for sale...
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:46 PM   #102
kojiki88
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
kojiki88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
been having the isis v2 for a while and never had problems
I also have the Isis and have been running it for about 4 years now and never had any problems with it. I will never go back to the stock shifter.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #103
240boi115
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by racepar1 View Post
The Nismo shifter for the S-chasis is NOT actually a short shifter. They are solid shifters. They have the same geometry as the stock shifter while eliminating the rubber bushing in the stock one. The throw is not any shorter...

I currently have a B&M shifter and IMO it's too notchy for my tastes. It is very precise and it does not rattle at all, but the feel isn't how I like. I'm considering "trading it in" for a Tomei shifter that's for sale...
yet they advertise a 10% shorter throw.. the nismo one is said to make the shifts smoother and feel new..(so ive heard) so the nismo shifter is basically a modified oem one?
my 240 broke down..again
Old 06-07-2013, 07:37 PM   #104
S12 Drifter
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:

horse shit.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #105
S14Paul
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
S14Paul is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Has anyone tried the circuit sport V3 shifter?

Frsport sells it and it comes with 2 shift knobs I might buy it this weekend
Circuit Sports SSK-SR003B-GD V3 Shifter Kit - Nissan 240sx 89-98
S14Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #106
racepar1
Post Whore!

racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Quote:
yet they advertise a 10% shorter throw.. the nismo one is said to make the shifts smoother and feel new..(so ive heard) so the nismo shifter is basically a modified oem one?
Yes, just like the Nismo engine mounts it's just modified stock. I do see that they advertise a 10% shorter throw, but that's such a miniscule amount I doubt you would notice even if it is actually fact. I would like to set one side by side with a stock one and measure it to see for sure. Even if it is 10% shorter though that's not really a "short shifter". My B&M must be about 75% shorter throw (exaggeration)...

This link actually explains how they shortened the throw:

NISMO Solid Short Shifter Silvia

Apparently they shortened the shift lever by 7.5mm and that's supposed to be a 10% difference. The shifter geometry is exactly the same as a stock shifter. I guess you could call that a short shifter, but you can do the same thing to your stock shifter by installing a shorter shift knob...

Not really a short shifter...
Old 06-07-2013, 08:46 PM   #107
240boi115
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Yes, just like the Nismo engine mounts it's just modified stock. I do see that they advertise a 10% shorter throw, but that's such a miniscule amount I doubt you would notice even if it is actually fact. I would like to set one side by side with a stock one and measure it to see for sure. Even if it is 10% shorter though that's not really a "short shifter". My B&M must be about 75% shorter throw (exaggeration)...

Apparently they shortened the shift lever by 7.5mm and that's supposed to be a 10% difference. The shifter geometry is exactly the same as a stock shifter. I guess you could call that a short shifter, but you can do the same thing to your stock shifter by installing a shorter shift knob...

thats what i was thinking but has anyone used one? does it feel different at all? beacuse it looks very similar to stock (like most nismo products)which i dont entirely mind, i mean nismo comes out with some good and clean products.to truely figure out if the throw is different one would have to compare the nismo shifter and the oem one side by side and dothe math by a 7.5mm difference..ive always been on the fence about getting one because id like good short throws to improve shift time but i dont want my 240 to shift like a miata either which is why i was interested in the nismo shifter. ive also heard that short shifters wear down the life of your synchros.
my 240 broke down..again
Old 06-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #108
Silvi
Leaky Injector

Silvi is an unknown quantity at this point
Im with nismo short shifter and I'm actually noticed to a big change compared to stock shifter.
It seems to be much more than 10% shorter...Feels great by the way
Silvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:31 PM   #109
240boi115
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvi View Post
Im with nismo short shifter and I'm actually noticed to a big change compared to stock shifter.
It seems to be much more than 10% shorter...Feels great by the way
is there less play in all the gears from stock?
my 240 broke down..again
Old 06-07-2013, 09:44 PM   #110
Silvi
Leaky Injector

Silvi is an unknown quantity at this point
Much less...smoother feel
It feels like a joystick, I don't understand why people want shorter than that.
Silvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:24 AM   #111
S12 Drifter
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
thats what i was thinking but has anyone used one? does it feel different at all? beacuse it looks very similar to stock (like most nismo products)which i dont entirely mind, i mean nismo comes out with some good and clean products.to truely figure out if the throw is different one would have to compare the nismo shifter and the oem one side by side and dothe math by a 7.5mm difference..ive always been on the fence about getting one because id like good short throws to improve shift time but i dont want my 240 to shift like a miata either which is why i was interested in the nismo shifter. ive also heard that short shifters wear down the life of your synchros.

my friend has a legit nismo shifter for a 71C -.- its nothing like the STOCK AT ALL! it does have a shorter throw by a lot more then they advertise.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:25 AM   #112
S12 Drifter
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:

:bowr ofl:

go buy one and try it out it's way more then 10%

why not contact nissan directly they still sell it on THEIR site.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:58 AM   #113
hartig
Zilvia Member

hartig is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by S12 Drifter View Post
go buy one and try it out it's way more then 10%
s13 is not s12 so please stop crying. it is possible to manufacture different things for different transmissions you know.
hartig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:08 AM   #114
S12 Drifter
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartig View Post
s13 is not s12 so please stop crying. it is possible to manufacture different things for different transmissions you know.
your the dumbass for not realizing the S12 Z31 S13 and S14/ka/rb/sr/vg30e/CA

all same the same fucking transmission

it's a 71C learn what your talking about transmissions have codes just like the nissan engines.

By the way i do not have a S12 I have a Z31. I want a S12 though, I had one before.

SR20
KA24DE/E
VG30E
RB20DET/DE/E
CA18DET/DE/E/

all use the 71C transmission.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:48 AM   #115
racepar1
Post Whore!

Quote:
my friend has a legit nismo shifter for a 71C -.- its nothing like the STOCK AT ALL! it does have a shorter throw by a lot more then they advertise.
It doesn't feel like stock because not only is the lever slightly shorter but the rubber bushing is stiffer as well. Besides that any stock shifter is going to be worn and have additional play because of that. Of course it feels much better than a worn-out stock shifter. I'm not saying that It's not better than stock, I'm just saying it's not a true short shifter. If you look at other short shifters the geometry of the shifter has been changed. The pivot has been moved up and the lower section of the shift lever is much longer than stock. The Nismo unit is not like that. It simply has a bit shorter upper shift lever. There's nothing wrong with the Nismo one, it's just not really a short shifter...

I'm sure Nismo is advertising the wrong percentage of throw shortening. That makes sense...
Old 06-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #116
S12 Drifter
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
It doesn't feel like stock because not only is the lever slightly shorter but the rubber bushing is stiffer as well. Besides that any stock shifter is going to be worn and have additional play because of that. Of course it feels much better than a worn-out stock shifter. I'm not saying that It's not better than stock, I'm just saying it's not a true short shifter. If you look at other short shifters the geometry of the shifter has been changed. The pivot has been moved up and the lower section of the shift lever is much longer than stock. The Nismo unit is not like that. It simply has a bit shorter upper shift lever. There's nothing wrong with the Nismo one, it's just not really a short shifter...

I'm sure Nismo is advertising the wrong percentage of throw shortening. That makes sense...
ahhhhh i see what your saying now!! that does make sense.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:09 AM   #117
voiddweller
Zilvia Member

voiddweller is an unknown quantity at this point
This is a good thread. Like many of us, I am looking for something that doesn't rattle and was wondering if anyone tried the TWM shifter. Here is a link I'd love to hear some feedback since it 'looks' like a quality part.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:20 AM   #118
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Mikester is a well-known jackass
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiddweller View Post
This is a good thread. Like many of us, I am looking for something that doesn't rattle and was wondering if anyone tried the TWM shifter. Here is a link I'd love to hear some feedback since it 'looks' like a quality part.
Want a badass, cheap alternative? Here is a link . I ran one of them in my 180SX in Okinawa for a couple years and loved it! The feel is solid & precise... It's a very well-made, single-piece, good quality shifter... and the price is like a sore dick- can't beat it.

Since then, I've switched to a CA tranny w/SR bellhousing and run a C's short shifter w/HKS return springs... Absolutely LOVE IT and will never change it unless absolutely necessary.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:15 AM   #119
hartig
Zilvia Member

hartig is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
your the dumbass for not realizing the S12 Z31 S13 and S14/ka/rb/sr/vg30e/CA

all same the same fucking transmission

it's a 71C learn what your talking about transmissions have codes just like the nissan engines.

By the way i do not have a S12 I have a Z31. I want a S12 though, I had one before.

SR20
KA24DE/E
VG30E
RB20DET/DE/E
CA18DET/DE/E/

all use the 71C transmission.
oops i made a mistake.
hartig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:25 PM   #120
nizmo_bro

nizmo_bro is an unknown quantity at this point
My S13 has a B&M short shifter. I can say it feels totally different than any other shifter I've used. When I went to test drive my current S13, I seriously didn't think I even had it in gear, lol. You barely have to move the shifter in any direction before you find a gear.

I've gotten used to it now, so when I drive my brother's car, it feels like the shifting takes miles.
nizmo_bro is offline   Reply With Quote