Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-13-2008, 03:18 PM   #91
s13ap
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
s13ap is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s13ap
Hey does anyone know a place that is really good at welding titanium in Orange County Ar.ea???? I have something that needs to get repaired. If it was steel I would just do it myself.

Hey luke your weld lock version 2 is still holdin up mayne! It's got about 50k miles on it now.
s13ap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2008, 03:30 PM   #92
Xracer
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
Xracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Xracer
pure tungsten electrode, it is ground to cone (lengthwise) with a small flat end. then an arc is started and it forms a small balled end. metal is cleaned ( sanded with 320 sand paper then hit it with break cleaner and wipe it down.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:08 PM   #93
blu808
Post Whore!

blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to blu808
S13ap. Great! Glad to hear that.

Xracer: Sounds correct. If you are blowing through the metal then try to add a glob of filler metal just to bridge the 2 pieces, one you get it started it will be easy to continue the bead.

Also search on google abut tig welding aluminum tips.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:34 PM   #94
nissan240sxkid
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
nissan240sxkid will become famous soon enoughnissan240sxkid will become famous soon enoughnissan240sxkid will become famous soon enoughnissan240sxkid will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
a tip for aluminum and cast iron welding is to heat up the pieces your welding with I guess propane or something and then weld...
nissan240sxkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 07:40 PM   #95
Swerv13
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Swerv13 will become famous soon enoughSwerv13 will become famous soon enoughSwerv13 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu808 View Post
really? I didnt know wyotech did anything cool.

any other cool stuff they do?

Majors include chassis fabrication, high performance drive train and street rod.
Swerv13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:58 PM   #96
driftstyre
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (4)
driftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to driftstyre
Just a few photos. I don't document our day to day fabrication too well so I have a few of our older and longer term projects.

240 rear LCA

EJ22 Impreza, 593 dyno dynamics whp

Titanium 240 exhaust, 3.2 lbs turbo back

EJ25 circuit engine, T04Z

Evo 7 Heatshield

FD Upper Intake Manifold on FC with Triangular TB to 3" round adaptor

V mount for same car w/ oil cooler as well (w/ out schrouding, its in the process now)
driftstyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:56 PM   #97
Swerv13
Leaky Injector

Swerv13 will become famous soon enoughSwerv13 will become famous soon enoughSwerv13 will become famous soon enough
Bill I had no idea id find someone from DentSport here. I love the work your shop does. Hell, id pay you guys to let me work for you. hahaha
Swerv13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:51 PM   #98
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
WhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to WhiteGLX Send a message via Yahoo to WhiteGLX
Race seat mounting

removed floor, made subframe for seat to sit ultra low

copied design on passenger side, w/out removing floor, no need to there.

Fabricated back braces for Kirkey Intermediate road race seats.

Design is to distribute loads across the upper shoulder area, not center of back, in the event of emergency only of course.

Made bash gaurd for old V-mount setup, dont want one small off track excursion ruining a weekend of fun.

Also the V-mount

New FMIC setup pics comming soon, custom IC pipes and all.

***NASA HPDE Instructor***
WhiteGLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:18 PM   #99
DisEpyon
Zilvia Junkie

DisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to DisEpyon
Man im glad somebody made a fabrication/welding thread on this forum.

here is my small fab project i did today, nothing to big.

Problem was that the flex section of the down pipe was hitting my floor board and that got annoying quick.

Sorry i dont have any pics of the before. I started then realized that i forgot pics, but you get the idea.

my solution to this, cut and weld!!

you can see in this pic where the flex pipe was rubbing, the shinny area.

here it is all tacked up.

first weld

Second weld

Because i didnt back purge, which doesnt matter on this part(i dont think), i got a little bit of sugaring. Which means i need more practice

you can see in this pic where the flex pipe used to rub on the floor board, and the gap that i always wanted.

and the finished product, underneath the car and inside the engine bay view.

Last edited by DisEpyon; 01-15-2008 at 09:54 PM..
DisEpyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:27 PM   #100
slw240sx
Zilvia.net Advertiser

slw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to slw240sx
you will get sugaring no matter what unless you purge it. unless you dont penatrate that is. but those look pretty good! did you just fuse that or use filler?

Jon
Old 01-15-2008, 08:36 PM   #101
DisEpyon
Zilvia Junkie

DisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to behold
Thanks,

I just fused it, filler was not needed, It was only 16 gauge thickness i believe.

some areas looked a little sloppy, because there was some gaps after cutting and grinding and i got it best i could, to fit up tightly. i didnt use a band saw or a table saw or anything like that, all i had was a sawzall. getting a band saw will probably be my next investment.

Last edited by DisEpyon; 01-16-2008 at 07:53 PM..
Old 01-15-2008, 08:55 PM   #102
blu808
Post Whore!

blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Great stuff everyone. What type of welder were you using? Feel free to post up some pics of your fab tools as well.

Here are some of my fab tools at my old shop.

Great pics Bill.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:57 PM   #103
mothon
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
mothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Looks good brent..Where did you end up finding the stainless at? Did you ever finish that breather you were working on??? How can i talk you into building an intake manifold for my ka?
mothon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:59 PM   #104
gsracer
Zilvia FREAK!

gsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond repute
handmade brake adapter brackets

As far as i know the only set of vh45de s14 chassis headers in existence lol
Lincoln mig welder etc

Old 01-15-2008, 11:21 PM   #105
Xracer
Zilvia Addict

Xracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Xracer
crazy stuff guys, looks good. Aluminum is still kicking my ass.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:50 PM   #106
blu808
Post Whore!

can you post up some pics of your messed up welds? That would tell me alot of what could be wrong.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:54 PM   #107
DisEpyon
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothon View Post
Looks good brent..Where did you end up finding the stainless at? Did you ever finish that breather you were working on??? How can i talk you into building an intake manifold for my ka?
Thanks matt,

My brother told me that a guy had some in norman, so after class on monday i went down there to pick it up. yea i finished the breather tank and its on and running good, dunno if im allowed to post it in here since all i have is finished pic's. About the custom KA intake manifold ill have to get back to you on that some time, hehe
Old 01-16-2008, 08:56 AM   #108
gsracer
Zilvia FREAK!

gsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond repute
i tried my had for a while at aluminum with the mig, it was very hit and miss , here are one on the better results i had

f
Old 01-16-2008, 09:27 AM   #109
driftstyre
Zilvia.net Advertiser

driftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to driftstyre
Luke,
That fab station is really sweet (and clean!). That car in your first post is really crazy.

Also GSRACER, that Q45 engine looks really sweet (I'm sure it will sound badass as well)

Here is our welding station. Our welder is a Linde 350, old ass TIG. Very basic, but works really well. If you can learn to weld on this thing you can weld with anything! Its 30+ years old and works great, all 1100 lbs of it.
We only have a few other tools here but the neighbor we share our complex with is a sheetmetal worker and has every mechanical metal working tool imaginable. He is barely ever here so I can use the lathe, bridgeport, brake, shear etc.

driftstyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:26 AM   #110
nissan240sxkid
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
nissan240sxkid will become famous soon enoughnissan240sxkid will become famous soon enoughnissan240sxkid will become famous soon enoughnissan240sxkid will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
great job everyone nice to see evryones work and people helpin to make it better.....This is the last thing I did for my budy...sorry dont have a close up.....um I have miller econo tig, want to get a linc percision tig though..what do you guys think of the machines?
nissan240sxkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:03 AM   #111
punxva
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
punxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Send a message via AIM to punxva
Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan240sxkid View Post
great job everyone nice to see evryones work and people helpin to make it better.....This is the last thing I did for my budy...sorry dont have a close up.....um I have miller econo tig, want to get a linc percision tig though..what do you guys think of the machines?
is that an external gate on a T2 turbo setup i see there if so shoot me more info on that, i'm tired of my ka-t overboosting and would rather just run an external gate, if possiable and weld the flapper close
not sure if you realize this

but when you knockup that skanky drunk sea donkey, you're gonna have to listen to her shit for the rest of your life

age 33 and you dont know your ass from your elbow

punxva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:30 PM   #112
blu808
Post Whore!

Nice work everybody.

nissan240sxkid:

I have a miller econo tig, and a lincoln precision tig 185. I prefer the lincoln any day. It seems to be much more stable with current, and has more features.

driftstyre: Thanks.

You setup is badass as well. That tig is freakin huge. Must be easy to weld thin material with that one.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:01 PM   #113
blu808
Post Whore!

Ok. So I had a buisy day at work today and thought I would share it with you guys.

Well after finishing the rack and pinion conversion on the shops car it was time to finish the passenger side header by making the last runner.

Gangster welds.

4th runner completed. Woot

Then it was time to weld the runners to the head flange.
I grabbed an old BBC head and bolted it up to prevent any warpage.

Yup.

O the gangsterness never ends.

Then it was time to pull of the collector and weld up the pipes.

Finished product. Turned out awesome!

Woot.

Then Rich brought back some radiator and asked me to put a temp sender in it for some reason. So I did that too.

Make sure to clean the area being welded.

Fin

Woot.

Then Paul asked me to make some gangster ass endlinks for his camaro racecar (not the orange one)

the one he made on the left.

ooooooooo the gangsterness is overwhelming.

Cant beat that.

Woot...

Then it was time to do some guages in a trans am.

I started by removing the stock guages and used the stock bezel as a template.

Drilled out the rivits holding it together.

Bead blasted it and mounted some guages.

Got some abs plastic and made a cover. Turned out factory looking.

One of my pet peeves is messy wiring. So i took extra time to make the wiring as close to factory as possible.

OMG the gangsterness will not end.

Then I decided since I hadn't done much work today that I would mock up the new GP sports body kit on my Turbo Ls1 FC

What a gangster day.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:52 PM   #114
DisEpyon
Zilvia Junkie

Very nice work blu808, what kind of filler rod did you use on the header?

here is my machine from when i got it and my set up in the garage.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:00 PM   #115
blu808
Post Whore!

Thanks. It would be cool if more people posted replies about my work. Its not exactly easy to stop and take pics all the time while doing this stuff.

Last edited by blu808; 02-14-2012 at 12:50 AM..
blu808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:30 PM   #116
slw240sx
Zilvia.net Advertiser

slw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant future
Are you running back purging on those headers? are they stainless? they look it. There are a few things i would try to change on the last runner on the pass header, mostly alignment and fitments of the pipe segments, its hard to explain over the net, that and the second runner, it looks like you could have used a 45deg bend instead of the section of a U bend on the middle of the runner, i'm a stickler about matching up bends to make them a smooth flowing as possible aesthetically as well as physically. i will waste bend after bend if i have to to get the proper "look" i'm going for. Over all though they look good!

a Tip for getting good cuts in the bends i use either masking tape or electrical tape and wrap it around so its straight and then make my cut to give my self a visual cut line. I don't have a good vertical Bandsaw, so i have to use a PortaBand or sawzaw when i cut Ubends in the bend areas.

here is a Turbo setup i build last year for a Grandam Drag car. T4 turbo 44mm WG.

And here is my Current Tig Setup Lincoln Precision Tig 275 with water cooler No pulser panel, but i dont like using a pulser. I just grabbed myself a bigger table, i just have to get some plate steel for the top. I love this welder! I hear people complain alot about lincoln welders, but i cant say that i have much to compare against i havent used other brands enough, and this is just easy for me to setup and configure. Its always worked never had any down time.

Haha here is a Aluminum Dash board i started building one night while i had nothing to do, i never finished it.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:41 PM   #117
blu808
Post Whore!

Of course it was back purged.

If you viewed the header in person it is actually alligned very well. As for the cuts we have an automated bandsaw.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:06 PM   #118
slw240sx
Zilvia.net Advertiser

I cant wait to get a Automated bandsaw, the shop next to us has a giant DOALL vertical with hydraulic feed and if he moves out im picking it up for a good price from him, along with a 3 axis prototrack CNC.

What kind of rollcage Tube bender do you guys own? Im in the market for one this week and im leaning towards a JD2 model 3, but they are on back order for the next 2 weeks.

Jon
Old 01-16-2008, 11:14 PM   #119
blu808
Post Whore!

Well i originally wanted to get a tubeshark since they are badass. But I was not approved for the funding. So I got the next best thing It is listed here.

http://www.pro-tools.com/302.htm
Old 01-16-2008, 11:20 PM   #120
DisEpyon
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu808 View Post
Thanks. It would be cool if more people posted replies about my work. Its not exactly easy to stop and take pics all the time while doing this stuff.

Anyways. Is that the precision tig 185? Or the newer 190?
Whatever model it is, looks just like mine and brings back memories from 2 years ago when i got it, unpacked, and setup at my house.

I got the 225 version (ready pack and go package deal)

slw240sx - nice work also, how much did that cover for your tig torch hose line cost, or did it come with it?