Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 07-23-2020, 10:22 AM   #1
Beas
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
Beas is making a name for him/her selfBeas is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
RB25DE+turbo conversion discussion

Hey zilvia

So, my skyline has a rb25de that im starting the conversion to turbo. For me i like the idea that its about 1/3 of the cost of swaping for an rb25. the motor already has plugs for oil drain and water lines for turbo. i also like the idea of higher compression and a quick spooling turbo. also, i dont plan on going high hp. i daily drive the car and am just looking for more power for local drift events.

Help me out, tell me what i may be overlooking. also anyone that knows these engines well, any advice would be appreciated. my drift car had an LS for the past 5 years so rbs are new territory.

Parts i have so far...

-DET stock injectors
-DET coilpacks if needed
-AEM fuel pump
-oil and water lines
-downpipe
-intake piping

Needed...

-ECU series 1
-intercooler and piping
-stock turbo
-ex manifold
-stronger clutch

hoping i can just bolt this stuff on and the stock ecu will run things fairly well. simpler tuner recomendations?

thanks
Beas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2020, 10:37 AM   #2
S14rebuild
BANNED

Trader Rating: (8)
S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
If ur gonna keep stock ecu youll need a a tuner to work with that, nistu ne,romtune, something that will work, timing will be important since ull be running higher compression. What fuel will u be running...
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:06 PM   #3
Beas
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14rebuild View Post
If ur gonna keep stock ecu youll need a a tuner to work with that, nistu ne,romtune, something that will work, timing will be important since ull be running higher compression. What fuel will u be running...
most likely shitty vegas 91. i do have access to 100 octane so maybe that. stock fuel system other than aem 355
Old 07-23-2020, 12:56 PM   #4
S14rebuild
BANNED

S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Still needs tuning for higher compresson motor to be correct. Everything eles u got listed looks good
Old 07-26-2020, 01:15 PM   #5
feito
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
you get into tuning, you're getting into big money close to, if not the same than swapping to a det.
Then again, rb25det stock ecu's are really shitty, so even with a complete det, you may end up upgrading the ecu at a later point, so maybe just do it now?...
Old 07-30-2020, 09:24 AM   #6
Beas
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by feito View Post
you get into tuning, you're getting into big money close to, if not the same than swapping to a det.
Then again, rb25det stock ecu's are really shitty, so even with a complete det, you may end up upgrading the ecu at a later point, so maybe just do it now?...
yeah, thats a bit more than i wanted to spend, but it would be really nice to have a new ecu and good tune that i know will work great for me no matter what i do with the car down the road.
Old 07-30-2020, 12:36 PM   #7
S14rebuild
BANNED

Just use a z32 ecu and go rs enthphy. $400 range
Old 08-01-2020, 09:25 AM   #8
Beas
Zilvia Member

Quote:
thanks for the tip. that looks like exactly the route i want to go for now.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:45 AM   #9
feito
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
I tried that on my rb25. For some reason we could never get the mail in tune right. And I don't mean running perfect, I just mean running stable. martin tried a few different settings and still nothing. I ended up going nistune, and I also had some trouble with that. I could never figured out what was wrong with my setup. Most essentials on my car were new except for the maf which tested good. New WS harness.
Finally Martin did a session in my city and I grabbed a spot. He tuned my nistune and managed to get a decent number on a conservative tune, for a fraction of the cost I had been charged previously for a tune that didn't last. That ecu and tune lasted until the day I sold the car. Pretty sure it's still running out there.
Martin is a legit guy. If you can make one of his mail-in tunes work with your setup I would go with that. His CS is unquestionable.
Old 03-16-2021, 12:05 PM   #10
Beas
Zilvia Member

update.

turbo install is all done. had some issues with idle for a bit. some air leaks needed to be sealed up and vacuum lines ran better.

ended up using gtr top feed 550cc injectors. direct fit. running on stock wastegate spring 8-10 lbs with 93 oct.

so far all is good. just drove it at a local event. power felt great.