Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 09-14-2019, 08:56 PM   #1
SRSmith
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
SRSmith is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Freddy intake - Should I do it?

Freddy Intake vs Stock Intake (S13 SR20)

First off, I'm not going with the geniune Greddy Intake. I'm not willing to pay $700 for an intake, and from my research I've gathered that the knock offs work just fine after they have been cleaned up.

Instead, I'm looking for opinions on the knock off vs the stock intake.

Here are the things that are pushing me towards the Freddy:
Easier oil changes
Better Intercooler piping fitment (I have a greddy intercooler and piping)
Cleaner look

However, I heard that the Greddy Style intakes cut into the low end power while increasing top end. I personally think the sr20 doesnt have any low end to lose.

Have any of you guys installed aftermarked intakes? If so, did you notice a remarkable loss in low end? My car is at 7 psi making low 200s, but I plan on increasing it later.

Thank you much
SRSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2019, 08:57 PM   #2
nisileighty
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
nisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Definitely do it
nisileighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 09:04 PM   #3
SRSmith
Leaky Injector

Do you mind elaborating?
Old 09-14-2019, 09:09 PM   #4
nisileighty
Zilvia FREAK!

nisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of light
The ease of working on the motor goes up all around. Makes changing literally everything on the cold side a million times easier. Easy to run vacuum lines, easy to change oil filter, starter, etc.

The looks go up dramatically because the stock SR intake looks like dick.

Those two reasons alone are worth $119 or whatever the eBay sellers want.

I’ve had both Greddy and Freddy. Haven’t really ran into fitment issues with Freddy like others say they have.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:24 AM   #5
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
From experience. . . you're going to lose low end power on the boost you're currently running if you ditch the stock SR intake.

That said though, if later you up the boost, (I would say 20 psi or more) then def go with the Greddy style intake.

I know from experience on the dyno that with 23 psi, a GT3071R and a Greddy style intake that the LAGGGGGG was real!

Switched back to the stock intake manifold and it made a world of difference with low end power and the boost came in waaaaaaaaaay sooner! Much more useable power.
onehundredoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:40 AM   #6
S14rebuild
BANNED

Trader Rating: (8)
S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by onehundredoctane View Post
From experience. . . you're going to lose low end power on the boost you're currently running if you ditch the stock SR intake.

That said though, if later you up the boost, (I would say 20 psi or more) then def go with the Greddy style intake.

I know from experience on the dyno that with 23 psi, a GT3071R and a Greddy style intake that the LAGGGGGG was real!

Switched back to the stock intake manifold and it made a world of difference with low end power and the boost came in waaaaaaaaaay sooner! Much more useable power.

Da truth!

But, wuth it just makes the bay look sooo much better lol
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:46 AM   #7
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
Looks vs usable power. . .
Old 09-16-2019, 10:25 AM   #8
nisileighty
Zilvia FREAK!

It’s not just looks
Old 09-16-2019, 04:15 PM   #9
SRSmith
Leaky Injector

Thank you for the reply Octane

"That said though, if later you up the boost, (I would say 20 psi or more) then def go with the Greddy style intake.

I know from experience on the dyno that with 23 psi, a GT3071R and a Greddy style intake that the LAGGGGGG was real!"

May I ask why you recommend going with the greddy with over 20psi, but then you said the Lag was so bad you switched back?
Old 09-16-2019, 04:42 PM   #10
S14rebuild
BANNED

S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Quote:
Originally Posted by nisileighty View Post
It’s not just looks

We know this..hence the info drop. Were are stating looks vs power for his particular setup. But thanks for the useful info to the thread.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:39 PM   #11
lewisfk
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
lewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I was thinking keep the stock manifold and add 70-75-85 mm throttle body.

https://www.efisolutions.com.au/plaz...ttle-body-85mm
lewisfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:38 AM   #12
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRSmith View Post
Thank you for the reply Octane

"That said though, if later you up the boost, (I would say 20 psi or more) then def go with the Greddy style intake.

I know from experience on the dyno that with 23 psi, a GT3071R and a Greddy style intake that the LAGGGGGG was real!"

May I ask why you recommend going with the greddy with over 20psi, but then you said the Lag was so bad you switched back?
Maybe I did a bad job of explaining.

With the Greddy style intake, the plenum is huge and the runners are short.

Think about it in terms of the turbo having to fill the plenum with compressed air before the air can be forced into the cylinder. The larger the plenum, the more air required to fill it. Thus the stock SR20 intake manifold having the smaller plenum, requiring less air to fill it.

Runner length matters also. Short runners are better for higher rpm power, and longer runners are better for low end power.

So going with the stock intake makes the most sense if you are running relatively lower boost.

It was just my experience that the Greddy style intake moved the power band way too high, you didn't feel boost till WAAAY late. I'm talking after 4,000 rpm late.

With the stock intake, boost came in so much sooner, around 2,200 rpm.

Now, if anyones argument is looks, then good luck to ya. There are hardly any aesthetics when it comes to making power.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:55 AM   #13
e30gangsta
Zilvia Addict

e30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to all
Send your stock manifold to get extrude honed. That's the best option unless you're willing to spend $1200 on the mazworx intake manifold.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:15 AM   #14
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

jedi03 is on a distinguished road
+1 on freddy, after my first one wouldn't run without it...fitment made everything easier to access/work on, oil changes weren't a nightmare anymore, can actually change our cooling hoses without disassembling half the engine lol, intercooler piping appears to be more smooth flowing, on the stock turbo iirc was about 3-500 rpm more of lag, but getting a bigger turbo makes the driving really nice for the SR...iirc the stock manifold can flow to ~400hp...
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:46 AM   #15
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
cliffs:

-stock mani better response

-freddy looks better and easier to work on

pick your poison

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 12:23 PM   #16
SRSmith
Leaky Injector

Alrighty, Its obvious that the freddy intake increases turbo lag.

The question now is, by how much?

Looks like Ill need to get one and test that. It would be even better if someone could get a before and after dyno sheet.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:17 PM   #17
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

jedi03 is on a distinguished road
its really not much like I said above...~3-500 rpm worth...get used to it pretty fast imo
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 01:16 PM   #18
S14rebuild
BANNED

Fukn spoon fed in this thread
Old 09-20-2019, 03:36 PM   #19
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Mikester is a well-known jackass
If you add a higher volume intake (Freddy), and a less restrictive turbine inlet/filter, you will notice little difference in terms of low end loss. If anything, you will like it better and it will feel a little more responsive once the RPMs come up. No reason to fret about losing a hair of low end... SR’s aren’t known for being great in that arena anyway.

A lot of great points made. In terms of day to day maintenance, the stock SR manifold is a buzzkill. I personally think you’d like the knockoff better.

Mike