Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Z Chassis

Z Chassis Technical discussion related to the Z Chassis such as the S30, S310, Z31, Z32, Z33 and Z34.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:04 PM   #1
alex37211

Trader Rating: (0)
alex37211 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
z31 drift car? EXTREME WEIGHT REDUCTION

A friend and I are beginning a drift car project with a major emphasis on weight reduction. We scored a Z31 turbo 5speed for cheap cheap. I wanna chop as much shit off as I can. I'm talkin' ditch the fenders,hatch, bumpers, FULL interior, roof, hood, gut the doors (or possibly delete), etc.

I'm thinking something like this:
but with some cage work.

Does anyone know, at most amateur drift events, is it required to have a windshield? How about doors? Can I ditch the doors and weld a couple bars right there?

Any input or suggestions for our project is welcome.

oh btw, parting out everything that does not make the car drive.
alex37211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2010, 06:29 PM   #2
sickstatus
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (15)
sickstatus is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sickstatus
crazy.... lolol. i hope u put a roll cage or something haha

Last edited by sickstatus; 03-14-2010 at 01:05 AM..
sickstatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:22 AM   #3
UNITEDMASTER
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
UNITEDMASTER is a name known to allUNITEDMASTER is a name known to allUNITEDMASTER is a name known to allUNITEDMASTER is a name known to allUNITEDMASTER is a name known to allUNITEDMASTER is a name known to allUNITEDMASTER is a name known to allUNITEDMASTER is a name known to allUNITEDMASTER is a name known to allUNITEDMASTER is a name known to allUNITEDMASTER is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
IMO you will not pass tech anywhere! Just build the car like normal

MR JACKSON.
UNITEDMASTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:28 AM   #4
snafupossum
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
snafupossum is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
this is not safe in any way shape or form, if a place doesnt have a strict tech, you might be able to drive but tandem would be out of the question. you would want to have more protection then just a roll cage, because if something gets kicked up from the track it could seriously injure you. Not to mention the vehicle will look dumb, reminds me of people removing there a/c compressor to gain hp.
snafupossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:34 PM   #5
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
That car was a big joke that SCC put on some years ago.

Don't do anything like that to a car. Not only is it not safe, it will handle very poorly because there will be zero chassis stiffness. Learn to deal with a cars weight with acceptable weight reduction.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 04:13 AM   #6
alex37211

okay. What is the most I can do to save weight other than the obvious and still remain legit for drift? Can I totally gut the doors? Can I ditch the hatch?
Old 03-14-2010, 04:54 AM   #7
sickstatus
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (15)
sickstatus is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sickstatus
y do u want it so light weight in the first place?
Old 03-14-2010, 12:46 PM   #8
alex37211

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickstatus View Post
y do u want it so light weight in the first place?
why does it need to be light? Light is better. Lighter weight equals better everything. Better accel better braking better handling, etc.

And just why the hell not? Look at the D1 cars. They shaved like a thousand pounds from a mustang. Weight reduction is very beneficial. Plus this will prove some good information. We are gonna record everything. We will keep track of every pound we shave and see the results. It's a project. It will be fun. We each have s14's for our personal projects (his sr20 and my rb25) but this is just a big experiment.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:40 AM   #9
DeleriousZ
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
DeleriousZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via MSN to DeleriousZ
Members have been able to get z31's down to around 2200lbs with some extreme weight reduction. I don't know their methods but I do know it passes tech inspections.
DeleriousZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:52 AM   #10
lazysk8er2
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
lazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
just to start:
lexan and custom carbon pieces. also s14 rear end with z32 uprights. the seats weigh a ton so do the t top glass. gut the engine bay of all emissions stuff and a/c. customize s13 coilovers. lightweight rims (offset sucks on this car). shim the vlsd. get a boost controller. boost gauge, wideband o2. aluminum rad, oil cooler, solid mounts. custom 3" exhaust.

get the rulebook for this years drift specs for cages and inspection cuz they add/remove things.

check out z31 specific related sites for more info

Quote:
Well i have a 95 240 and i like my cars low... But my parents don't like my wheels tilted
Old 03-15-2010, 12:56 PM   #11
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazysk8er2 View Post
just to start:
lexan and custom carbon pieces. also s14 rear end with z32 uprights. the seats weigh a ton so do the t top glass. gut the engine bay of all emissions stuff and a/c. customize s13 coilovers. lightweight rims (offset sucks on this car). shim the vlsd. get a boost controller. boost gauge, wideband o2. aluminum rad, oil cooler, solid mounts. custom 3" exhaust.

get the rulebook for this years drift specs for cages and inspection cuz they add/remove things.

check out z31 specific related sites for more info
I agree with this.

You can completely gut the doors and hatch (use latches), replace the windows with lexan, get lightweight seats, gut the wiring harness, Buy Z32 aluminum brakes, etc.

Basically just remove everything possible that you don't need in the interior and engine bay, and buy lightweight everything else.

Remember, when it comes to weight reduction, count the ounces to get the pounds.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:58 AM   #12
SxMachine
Zilvia Member

SxMachine is making a name for him/her selfSxMachine is making a name for him/her selfSxMachine is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex37211 View Post
why does it need to be light? Light is better. Lighter weight equals better everything. Better accel better braking better handling, etc.
I agree but a z31 doesnt weigh as much as a 350z, skyline or any other 4 door rwd car on the drift circuit. Most of which drift fine with or without weight reduction. I think suspension, power, and skill are going to have make the difference with your z31. The vg30et is a GREAT motor but you will be limited as far as upgrades are concerned but suspension shouldnt be a prob.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:20 AM   #13
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
Flicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Flicktitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeleriousZ View Post
Members have been able to get z31's down to around 2200lbs with some extreme weight reduction. I don't know their methods but I do know it passes tech inspections.
Really? that's pretty crazy.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:43 AM   #14
zangetsu-Z31-rb25

zangetsu-Z31-rb25 is an unknown quantity at this point
hi..i have own z31 for 2 year.its already install rb25 engine with skyline dashboard.verry2 sucking look..just drive it for 1 month.then i dont know y,the engine was dead from ogos 2009 till now.now i wanna rebuild it.please who can help me,give me a scene.1-with rb25 engine,is it a problem with wiring or else if i put back original dashboard? 2-this model and z32 are have a same part where i can use it to my z31? like absober,knuckle,long shaft, anything else? 3-if i change the engine to z32 twin turbo,can i use rb25 gearbox?? tq
zangetsu-Z31-rb25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:10 AM   #15
Ali 556
Zilvia Junkie

Ali 556 is a well-known jackass
what the guys said plus :

stay away from I6 engine (rb2x) and 2JZ's they wight a ton and cost $$ to swap..do sr20det swap it's some what lighter than the KA and give you a 8000 rpm rev limiter...or a KA..you can find'em for 70$ anywhere from kids swaping an SR into there cars.

VG30ET is not recommended b/c it's a shitty engine and no aft. market support for it.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:41 AM   #16
DeleriousZ
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
DeleriousZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via MSN to DeleriousZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali 556 View Post
VG30ET is not recommended b/c it's a shitty engine and no aft. market support for it.
msglngth
DeleriousZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:17 PM   #17
pdaledk
Leaky Injector

pdaledk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to pdaledk
no bueno dude !! dont diss the VG30!!!
pdaledk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:49 PM   #18
Benedict
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Benedict is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
don't get too worried about crazy weight reduction. mine is stripped to the point if I wanted to remove any more it needs a sawzall. the only ammenitiiess I still have is power windows and stereo.

Z31Performance.com • Login
Benedict is offline   Reply With Quote