Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 12-04-2019, 08:34 AM   #31
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious Beaner! View Post
Would it be right or wrong to put the shop out on blast with these pictures I have to save someone else's engine in the future?
if they won't cover their work and their failures, absolutely put em on blast.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2019, 09:23 AM   #32
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
just don't do it if you think will be pursuing legally as the "slander" could come back and cause issues...
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:22 AM   #33
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
I hate to mention this but
if any of that shaving materials got into the block, oil passages and so forth, it could be useless to try and rebuild it. One little bit of metal lodges into a bearing and you have the beginning of a 10k max miles engine with destined bearing failure in 1-3 years.

Not saying its impossible to clean up, but it kind of is for some engines.
Failures because of using blocks with metal grit floating around is a thing.

This is why I don't put big money (as a college student) into an engine. If I was going to rebuild an SR20 at this point I would try to find a tired old engine that still ran (with say 120psi) and perform a stock rebuild in my own place.

Never let a machine shop or anyone for that matter touch an engine in a way that you can't personally measure/inspect, and you will never be disappointed in the rebuild, because even if you screw it up you will learn something. Whereas letting a machine shop screw you over teaches you nothing except to avoid machine shops. Which you have not learned yet. So I suppose thats fine for now. Did you learn yet?
Come back in a couple years and tell us what you've learned about rebuilding sr20 engines.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:10 PM   #34
brndck
Premium Member

brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
I hate to mention this but
if any of that shaving materials got into the block, oil passages and so forth, it could be useless to try and rebuild it. One little bit of metal lodges into a bearing and you have the beginning of a 10k max miles engine with destined bearing failure in 1-3 years.

Not saying its impossible to clean up, but it kind of is for some engines.
Failures because of using blocks with metal grit floating around is a thing.
ultrasonic cleaning is rad.

pulling the balls out of the crank to clean the internal passageways is a damn good idea too

Quote:
Old 12-04-2019, 12:31 PM   #35
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
ultrasonic cleaning is rad.

pulling the balls out of the crank to clean the internal passageways is a damn good idea too
Yep. Not sure which machine shop King is using, but my machine spot is able to get just about every single miniscule of oil shavings from any foreign object debris

Also, they removed the balls on my crank and tapped them with an NPT fitting in order for them to easily be removed if I ever had to do a tear down again.

Easy peasy. Short block is 100% salvageable. It just needs a complete tear down, inspection, new bearings, proper clearances measured and go. Easy several hundred bucks and a 1-2 week worth of tear, cleaning, etc

I can tear down a SR block in less than 3 hours on a slow Sunday lol!
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 02:33 PM   #36
kyral
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
kyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nice
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
Cams are hardened (brittle). If they are dropped, they shatter, not bend lol
this is not true. ive actually thrown a camshaft on to a concrete floor and it did not shatter
Old 12-06-2019, 02:37 PM   #37
Turbosauce74

Trader Rating: (0)
Turbosauce74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyral View Post
this is not true. ive actually thrown a camshaft on to a concrete floor and it did not shatter
Yup, I'll agree that on average they do shatter, but they can bend. In reality the bend is probably a fracture tho.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Turbosauce74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 02:37 PM   #38
brndck
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyral View Post
a prince Rupert's drop is hard as fuck, you can smack it with a hammer, till you barely flick the tail and the whole thing shatters.

[YT]/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V2eCFsDkK0[YT]

cams are hardened and brittle.

can anyone show an example of a cam set up in a lathe or v-block showing excessive runout (bending)?

i'm genuinely curious to see an example.

Quote:
Old 12-09-2019, 02:40 PM   #39
Turbosauce74

Trader Rating: (0)
Turbosauce74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
a prince Rupert's drop is hard as fuck, you can smack it with a hammer, till you barely flick the tail and the whole thing shatters.

[YT]/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V2eCFsDkK0[YT]

cams are hardened and brittle.

can anyone show an example of a cam set up in a lathe or v-block showing excessive runout (bending)?

i'm genuinely curious to see an example.
I could put it in the head and it won't spin, swap cams and it spins. I don't have any machinist tool to show run out unfortunately. It's on the list.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Turbosauce74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 05:27 PM   #40
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Roll the cam down the driveway on video, pretty easy to see its bent.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:07 AM   #41
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

have seen in the past, pretty sure it can bend from the high heat and tolerances changing somewhere causing it to warp...but they do shatter super easy...I normally rotate them from the sprocket to spin them out and break the oil tension/suction from it, had one snap in half when doing so...
Old 12-15-2019, 01:19 PM   #42
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
I've heard from a friend that you can snap a cam in half, over your leg

I tried it once and it left a bruise. why do nissan people give me bad ideas

they definitely flex and bend a bit as you install them using FSM procedure.
A brittle materials can display a wide range of properties, and so can ductile. Some ductile materials will display a brittle failure when the conditions are right for it to happen, such as when the force is applied suddenly. It has to do with the crystal continuity of covalent bond angles within the material.
There is no clear defined border between the two types of materials, but rather a range of conditions for which either behaves one way or the other.
Also, In engineering textbooks for example, there are many ways to define the yield strength and stress property of the same material.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 10:41 AM   #43
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

rofl at least wasn't like the can smash on the forehead! its amazing how things fail...I have a few small examples in my garage to help people understand what they may do depending on circumstances! failed rod, crushed ringland...super fun lol!
Old 12-16-2019, 11:40 AM   #44
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
So OP.

Machine shop gonna take care of you or what?? Gonna let us in on who it is??
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote