Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
spools420a
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
spools420a is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
steering wheel shakes after 60mph help pls?

Hello all I have a 92 240sx coupe and been having issues while driving on the freeway,the sterring wheel starts vibrating along with the driver and passenger seats and is not pleasant whatsoever,I took it to a shop where they put a machine under the front tires and its spins the wheel to the desired speed and there diagnosis was a bent rim and the solution was to buy new rims/new tires/get balanced/get alignment so I did those steps along with replacing the rack and pinion bushings with poly ones and wouldnt you know it the steering will shake isstill there but like earlier only at certain higher speeds....freeway speeds and seem to be more and less promonent depending on speed.

I then lifted the car and did a visual but nothing looks odd and then I proceeded witha 12:00 and 6:00 wheel shimmy shake and it was nice and tight but when i did the 3:00 and 9:00 there was quit a bit of movement,this was with the steering wheel locked and by myself i just gave it some wiggle and it wiggled back?

Is this the source of the problem?should it not have any play or what?what steps should I take from here please let me know and thank you.
spools420a is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
zooopreme
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (38)
zooopreme is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 38 reviews
Have you gotten your suspension and steering components checked?
For Sale #1 | For Sale #2
zooopreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
blueshark123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
blueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
Hows the steering shaft bushing, shocks and tie rod ends
blueshark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:25 PM   #4
spools420a
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshark123 View Post
whats that bushing because the part where the steering shaft connects to the rack is leaking fluid,tie rod ends are snug as a bug,also theres a bit of play in the steering shaft.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:36 PM   #5
spools420a
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshark123 View Post
so I came across this and ordered the spring Techincal Service Bulletin from 240sx.org

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Steering Wheel Shimmy
Classification:
ST93-002

Section:
Steering

Reference:
TECHNICAL BULLETIN NTB93-066

Models:
All 240SX(S13)

Date:
April 1, 1993

240SX(S13) STEERING WHEEL SHIMMY

APPLIED MODELS:
All Model Year 240SX(S13)

APPLIED VIN; HICAS; DATE:
JN1HS34N(*)W300146 - Coupe; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; HICAS=no; 6/4/92
JN1HS36N(*)W300198 - H/B; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; HICAS=no; 6/4/92
JN1HS34N(*)W300384 - H/B; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; HICAS=Yes; 6/12/92.
JN3HS &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;- Convt.; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;HICAS=no;.

SERVICE INFORMATION:
Some owners of 240SX vehicles built before the Applied VIN may complain about steering wheel shimmy while driving at approximately 55 mph. The wheel shimmy complaint can usually be resolved by balancing the front tires. However, in those cases where the complaint is not resolved by this repair, adjustment of the steering rack friction may be necessary.

SERVICE PROCEDURE:1. Road test vehicle to verify that the customer's complaint is steering wheel shimmy [slight rotational vibration of the steering wheel at approximately 55 mph] and that it occurs without braking.

2. Verify that the steering rack, rods, and joints are secure and the steering system is within specification.

3. Balance the front tires with an on-car balancer, if available; otherwise, use a calibrated off-car dynamic balancer.

4. Perform another road test of vehicle. If shimmy is not resolved, it will be necessary to adjust the steering rack friction.

5. Remove the steering rack adjusting screw. Clean the adjusting nut of any remaining locking sealant. Reassemble the lock nut to the adjusting screw with the lock nut backed off fully.

6. Replace the spring with P/N 48237-10V02. This is a direct replacement, original-equipment part. Be sure the spring washers remain in place, in the same orientation.

7. Coat the adjusting screw with Loctite 272 Threadlocker or equivalent and screw into the rack. Tighten the lock nut finger-tight.

8. Torque the adjusting screw to 43-52 inch-pounds.

9. Loosen the adjusting screw, then, lightly tighten by hand.
NOTE:
The actual torque value for this screw is 0.43 to 1.74 inch-pounds.

10. Move the rack through its full travel, left and right, several times.

11. Center the rack in the "straight-ahead" position. With road wheels off the ground, turn the steering wheel a half turn in each direction to find the maximum friction spot. Stop at the maximum friction spot.

12. Loosen the adjusting screw, then torque screw to 43-52 inch-pounds.

13. Loosen the adjusting screw approximately 40 degrees (just shy of 1/8 turn).

14. Prevent movement of the adjusting screw and torque the lock nut to 29-52 inch-pounds.

15. Test drive on a level road to verify that the steering wheel returns to center when the steering wheel is released from a turn (approximately 20 degrees). Also, verify that the steering shimmy was corrected by driving on the road surface where the incident was diagnosed.

16. If less pre-load is needed (to achieve steering wheel return-to-center after a turn)- based upon the results of the test drive detailed in Step 15, you may loosen the pre-load position of the adjusting screw, up to the 90 degree position.

Or, if more pre-load is needed to reduce shimmy, you may tighten the adjusting nut up to the 20 degree position.

NOTE:
The pre-load range of adjustment is 20-90 degrees loose, from the baseline established at Step 11.

17. Road test, again, to confirm shimmy complaint is resolved and steering wheel will return to center after a turn.

18. If the above procedure is not successful, please call the FIXS Hotline for assistance.

PARTS INFORMATION:

NOTE
This is a standard replacement part number; it is not a countermeasure/revised part.

Part Description &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;Free Length &nbsp; &nbsp; Part Number
Spring-Retainer &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; 27.9 mm &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; 48237-10V02</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>

Hope that may help some if not all of you with s13's.so im thinking with all the play in the steering rack and wiggle this seems like it might do the job,if it does ill post an update and let you guys know that way if anyone googles the same problem as me it wont lead to a dead end,.. thanks.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:38 PM   #6
spools420a
Zilvia Junkie

So car in the air,steering wheel locked up,hands on tire on 3 o clock and 9 o clock position and lots of wiggle when there should be almost none so does this mean replace the p/s rack?
Old 11-11-2013, 09:13 PM   #7
Koob
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
Koob is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
check tie rods and balljoints.

sounds like youve got loose parts.

try loading the suspension by jacking a corner up by the lower control arm and then shake 9 & 3 and then 12 & 6.

try to watch the joints for play while moving the wheel, may be easier if you have someone else move the wheel adn you watch.
Koob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:35 AM   #8
spools420a
Zilvia Junkie

FIXED!!!

well It turned out it needed to be balanced again,the first place I went to get it done was a super cheap ghetto place for a ghetto price and you get what you pay for so I decided to try balancing at dincount tire and sure enough that fixed the problem.

DO NOT TRY TO FIX A WHEEL SHIMMY AT THOSE CHEAP ASS TIRE PLACES.

pay the extra money and get the balance done on a nice machine.A few notes

if shimmy apears when braking = warped rotors

if shimmy disapears in nutrual gear= bad u joint/motor mount/bent drive shaft.

if shimmy comes and goes at freeway speeds feeling stronger and weaker as speed increases = most likely tire balance issue.cheapest fix start here and ONLT AT A REPUTIBLE SHOP OR YOULL BE SHASING YOUR TAIL>!!

im still gonna do the tension spring in the rack to fix the extra play in the steering wheel.

thanks guys for the help
Old 11-12-2013, 10:01 PM   #9
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Good that you sorted it out. A good balancer is crucial! Even an older name brand unit is better than a cheapy new one too!

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote