Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-14-2008, 09:00 PM   #1
jussjepbrox
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
jussjepbrox will become famous soon enoughjussjepbrox will become famous soon enoughjussjepbrox will become famous soon enoughjussjepbrox will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HELP Downshift 2nd gear grinding

hmmm anyonehave anyidea when i shift hard to 2nd it grinds a bit but if ishift slow into 2nd its fine,

also when i downshift to 2nd rolling over 10 mph it grinds

checked my tranny oil i have plenty

started happening recently after i bled the brakes, done twice,

story, clutch petal stayed down had to jam it into 2nd to rolll and make it home anyone know how to fix or what could be problem how it affects me later down the road
jussjepbrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2008, 09:01 PM   #2
h22speed
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
h22speed is a jewel in the roughh22speed is a jewel in the roughh22speed is a jewel in the roughh22speed is a jewel in the roughh22speed is a jewel in the roughh22speed is a jewel in the roughh22speed is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
syncro gears are worn... usually happens in higher milage transmissions

also your master cylinder and slave couldve gone out... will be cheaper to fix urself rather than have a shop do it
h22speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:21 PM   #3
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Everyone always slave or master, but I'm going to say if you still have the rubber line check it for leaks. Even a pin hole can cause the pedal to stay down.

Finale answer clutch system problem, Hmmm to broad try bleeding the clutch, while checking for leak and slave cylinder movement.

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 12:13 AM   #4
Naim
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Naim is close to perfectionNaim is close to perfectionNaim is close to perfectionNaim is close to perfectionNaim is close to perfectionNaim is close to perfectionNaim is close to perfectionNaim is close to perfectionNaim is close to perfectionNaim is close to perfectionNaim is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Same thing with my coupe. If I shift slowly into 2nd its fine, but if I downshift when going anymore than like 10-15mph, or shift hard it will grind.

EZ MONEY
Naim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:27 AM   #5
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
In order of cost:

* Check the clutch pedal. Sometimes the pedal box gets bent or broken and the pushrod isn't going all the way into the master cylinder.

* Check the fluid level in the master cylinder.

* Check under the car for leaks.

* Have someone work the pedal and look under the car to see if the slave is moving.

Search my posts for info on how to bypass the slave, bleed, and just the pedal.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:16 AM   #6
h22speed
Leaky Injector

h22speed is a jewel in the roughh22speed is a jewel in the roughh22speed is a jewel in the roughh22speed is a jewel in the roughh22speed is a jewel in the roughh22speed is a jewel in the roughh22speed is a jewel in the rough
[quote=g6civcx;1768149]In order of cost:

* Check the clutch pedal. Sometimes the pedal box gets bent or broken and the pushrod isn't going all the way into the master cylinder.

* Check the fluid level in the master cylinder.

* Check under the car for leaks.

* Have someone work the pedal and look under the car to see if the slave is moving.

also look up inside the car, where the pedal adjustment screw is. the rod that is attached to this screw and your pedal- id it is leaking fluid down the firewall or out of the rod, your master cylinder is going out.

last weekend my MC and SC both went out as did one of my friends. his cost $35 in parts and did the work himself... mine cost $280 because i had a shop do it
h22speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:26 AM   #7
g6civcx
Post Whore!

g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by h22speed View Post

also look up inside the car, where the pedal adjustment screw is. the rod that is attached to this screw and your pedal- id it is leaking fluid down the firewall or out of the rod, your master cylinder is going out.
That's also a good catch. Adjust the clutch pedal as per the FSM. Sometimes it may get out of adjustment and not release the clutch completely.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:52 AM   #8
MELLO*SOS
LAID OUT

MELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfection
synchros are worn. you need a new used trans. My trans grinds downshifting into 1st anything over about 5mph.
MELLO*SOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:26 AM   #9
Sir
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
Sir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
mello - that was my first thought too, but since his pedal stays down. its more likely that the problem is with clutch hydraulic system than trans itself.
Sir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 12:23 PM   #10
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MELLO*SOS View Post
synchros are worn. you need a new used trans. My trans grinds downshifting into 1st anything over about 5mph.
Double clutch and see if it still grinds going into 1st.